DEF Pump: Purchase Failure - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

DEF from Truck Stop Pump

So it's time for my first DEF fill up and was just wondering how many of you have just filled up at those convenient DEF pumps they have at several truck stops.

I am just slightly worried as I have read some stories of our DEF system being sensitive and not knowing if the DEF from gas stations like Loves, Pilot or EZ go (around Oklahoma) is fine for us. I've seen some of you have used it and recommend it as it's easier and cleaner but never really could find a definiate answer about the blue def being fine for the twins.

Also, those who have filled up at the pump, do most of these places need special truck cards or that magnetic DEF adaptor?

Thanks for the help.

2016 Canyon SLT Diesel CC SB - Cyber Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:44 AM

Garage
I've filled up my DEF at two different truck stops for my Colorado. Both places required special fleet/truck cards to pay for the DEF at the pump. I didn't have such a card, so I had to go inside, pre-pay $20, pump DEF until full (about $13-15 worth), then go back inside and get refunded the difference.

I filled up at a Loves or Pilot (can't remember which one I stopped into. They were right next to each other) in Colorado and a TransAmerica in Minnesota. No problems with either. Didn't need an adapter either time. Also, the truck hasn't complained once about the DEF that I can tell. Plus it's a bit cheaper than buying the boxed DEF.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
JPR60 likes this.

2016 DuraMax Colorado Z71 | Laser Blue | CC | LB | 4wd | Bose | Nav | GearOn Bars | Black Emblems | Wheel Flares | 3" Off-Road Step Bars | Ordered 10/30/15 | Delivered 2/22/2016

Installed Mods: Line-X Bedliner | BakFlip Revolver X2 | Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock | Stubby Jr. Antenna | WeatherTech - Mud Flaps, Deflectors, Floor Mats (Front), Floor Liner (Rear) | @DasGoob-Inspired Flush Stake Pocket Covers and Red LED Bedlighting

Last edited by HeliCarson; 05-08-2017 at 12:48 AM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:08 AM

Filled it from local loves gas station couple times already in Houston. First time, I didn't have the magnet adapter so it was a pain going thru the steps to realize I needed one and the station reluctantly let me borrow one from them. Since then, I bought one and always keep it in my truck. I used it for the second fill and worked perfectly! This is the one I bought... If you plan to save some bucks and fill it bulk from truck stops, I would get the magnet adapter just in case....

http://www.fivestardef.com/def-magne...turnUrl=LwA%3D

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 2.8 Duramax SBCC Gray

GM fender flares
GM tie down rings
Husky floor liners
WeatherTech No-Drill Mud Flaps
Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite tonneau cover
Line-X Premium sprayed on bed liner
Bilstein RHA 5100 (front 2", rear 1" + 1" GM blocks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:59 AM

What is a magnetic adapter? I have filled up my def at QT for the 36,000 miles on my truck with no issue, pay with a card at the pump just like gas

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
404 Not Found likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:28 PM

It's to prevent mis-filling. All modern semi trucks have a magnet built into the DEF tank and the pump nozzle checks for the present of the magnet before it allows it to flow. Some older stations may not have this system but all the ones around where I am do and will provably become more common over time. I'm assuming our trucks did not have this installed since manufacturers assume we will be buying the pre-packaged DEF instead.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 2.8 Duramax SBCC Gray

GM fender flares
GM tie down rings
Husky floor liners
WeatherTech No-Drill Mud Flaps
Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite tonneau cover
Line-X Premium sprayed on bed liner
Bilstein RHA 5100 (front 2", rear 1" + 1" GM blocks)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
I just put the 2.5 gallon jug in every oil change. Costs $8 and the local farm and fleet store.

8/14/2015 Ordered 2016 Canyon diesel CCSB, SLT, Copper/Red, black interior, Bose, spray in liner, transfer case shield, bars package and block heater.
Built 1/20/2016
Dealer received 2/3/2016
I received 2/5/2016
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 PM

Blue Def at Walmart or Sams Club $10-$11 for 2.5 gal
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 PM

I fill mine using the pump at a Husky truck stop. It takes less than a minute and I can pay cash.
whitefish likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Garage
Question DEF Pump: Purchase Failure

I tried to fill my DEF tank today at a truck stop pump. It would only drip out a few drops and then stop. I tried two different pumps and then went inside where the woman behind the counter gave me an adapter that wouldn't fit my truck.

What did I do wrong?

If not at the pump, is Walmart generally the best place to assume some turnover of product?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:32 PM

I go to the Pilots around me

First time I had no issue. Just had to prepay inside.

Second time it wouldn't pump, went inside and they said I had to pump a small amount of gas first and then do DEF. That didn't work, went back inside. Then they said, "How much do you want", I said 4 gallons, went back out and it went without a hitch.

But don't some pumps require a magnetic component? Not sure. Can't remember if I read that somewhere or if I'm mistaking it with something else.

'18 ZR2 speshul cab four banger
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofpandafk View Post
But don't some pumps require a magnetic component? Not sure. Can't remember if I read that somewhere or if I'm mistaking it with something else.
There was a reference to that in another thread, but looking at Amazon they either cost $70 or are poorly rated. And the adapter the store gave me didn't fit, although maybe it wasn't supposed to fit into my truck. Maybe it was just supposed to go around the nozzle--I didn't think of that at the time.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 PM

Garage
Does Pilot accept all cards or do you need a fleet card? I ran into that one time, where they didn't accept a Mastercard.

Since then I've gotten it at a local Speedway station that is a rather clean truck stop... zero issues.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrat View Post
Does Pilot accept all cards or do you need a fleet card? I ran into that one time, where they didn't accept a Mastercard.

Since then I've gotten it at a local Speedway station that is a rather clean truck stop... zero issues.

First one I went to, that was the case. Second one I went to took my card at the pump and seemed ok... but obviously something was still amiss so maybe that was it...? Dunno. But I do know after 5 weeks of DEF related issues in the first two months of ownership, that DEF has kept me from returning [to the dealer] so I'm going back [to Pilot].

'18 ZR2 speshul cab four banger

Last edited by ofpandafk; 04-15-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 PM

2.5 gallon jugs from Napa are inexpensive right now if you order online and pick up at your local store. I've found that to be easier than messing around at truck stops.

-Mike
'05TJLWBRUBY likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrat View Post
My problem wasn't a credit card. I now have two charges for about 5 or 10 cents.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 PM

Garage
The third product picture here which shows a nozzle is how I think I was supposed to set the thing up (this wasn't the device though).

In my defense though she told me is was supposed to create an air-tight connection, so I thought it was supposed to fit into my truck's opening. I'll give it a try some other day.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 AM

why not just buy the boxed stuff? i see them at the truck stops all the time on sale, so imagine the turnover on them is pretty high with all the diesel trucks on the road using it..
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storx View Post
why not just buy the boxed stuff? i see them at the truck stops all the time on sale, so imagine the turnover on them is pretty high with all the diesel trucks on the road using it..
Because if you look at the dates on the boxes you find out why it's on sale. If it's not fresh, don't use it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
93Duc likes this.

NEVER GIVE UP
Never stop trying to exceed your limits, God knows we need the entertainment.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storx View Post
It's quite a bit more expensive and 2.5 gallon containers make filling up to full somewhat difficult. At the pump it's about $2.75 a gallon. Also, it's easier, especially if you can fill up diesel at the same time (although this place has a high price for diesel).

I wouldn't assume that the turnover is high at truck stops because big trucks probably all use pumped DEF. I was assuming Walmart would probably have the highest turnover, sort of like auto batteries at Costco.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 AM

I think it is the magnet in the DEF nozzle stopping flow. Heavy duty trucks have a magnet in their DEF filler neck that our trucks don't.

This one from Amazon should work and isn't much:

I haven't tried asking the counterperson at the station if they have the adapters to borrow.
Goodspike likes this.

2018 Colorado LT CCLB 4x4 Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode