4Likes
  • 1 Post By DieselDrax
  • 1 Post By DieselDrax
  • 1 Post By DieselDrax
  • 1 Post By lqdchkn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What do your diesel fuel injectors look like?

My truck has 353 miles on it (as in, I've never even filled the tank yet!). These fuel injectors seem way more fouled than I would expect that soon (see attached photo).

Anyone else have photos of their fuel injectors? If so, can you share with the number of miles the vehicle had (and the reason you had them out)?

Thanks!
julie

P.S. I'm expecting the dealer to say "that's normal", but I think foreign material got in the cylinder and made for some dirty burning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190410_144740.jpg (173.0 KB, 70 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Diesel is dirty/sooty when burned so I wouldn't read too much into how they look.

Assuming they pulled them so they could check for any cylinder damage from your turbo failure by using a borescope?
tcoilburner likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Assuming they pulled them so they could check for any cylinder damage from your turbo failure by using a borescope?
Yes, that's why they pulled them. But the scope was too big to fit and so they couldn't actually see anything with it.

It just seems if they're that dirty after 3000 miles, how must they look after 30,000?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolie View Post
Yes, that's why they pulled them. But the scope was too big to fit and so they couldn't actually see anything with it.
Doh, that's too bad.

Quote:
It just seems if they're that dirty after 3000 miles, how must they look after 30,000?!
Ah, seems like you're assuming this is a cumulative thing that is going to keep building over time and eventually turn into a giant mess. That's not going to happen. Remember, diesel is an oil whereas gasoline is a solvent. Soot is going to happen, injectors aren't going to stay shiny and clean. With such low miles on your engine you haven't really had a chance to let the engine work, get the temps up, etc. Idling, low speeds, low loads will cause more soot than working the engine well. You have low miles and are still within the break-in period so you're not expected to work the truck hard yet.

But once you get some miles on it then work it. Get the cylinder temps up, give it good throttle when getting on the freeway. That will help burn off the soot and keep the engine happy.

I wouldn't give it a second thought at this point.
joolie likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:55 PM

30,000 is also your fuel pressure in PSI. The resulting flow out of the nozzles will keep the injectors clean where it matters.

Quote:

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:47 AM

What made you check them at such low miles, to see what?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by I DID IT View Post
I believe this is the poster that had a major engine issue, so this is just part of that.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:

That was mentioned in this thread that literally only had 5 posts before yours. Please read the entire thread before replying.
Troutbum1971 likes this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
My truck has 353 miles on it (as in, I've never even filled the tank yet!). These fuel injectors seem way more fouled than I would expect that soon (see attached photo).

Anyone else have photos of their fuel injectors? If so, can you share with the number of miles the vehicle had (and the reason you had them out)?

Thanks!
julie

P.S. I'm expecting the dealer to say "that's normal", but I think foreign material got in the cylinder and made for some dirty burning.
Diesel are dirty but not to that extent, what you see there is what the EGR system does to our new modern diesel which kills these engines. I would think since you had a blown turbo that you were not getting a good burn in your combustion chamber which would also create additional deposits. Run a good diesel fuel additive like Bestline, Stanadyne or Diesel Kleen (gray bottle for summer and white for winter) to help cut some of that crud and if you don't give a crap about your warranty do a full DPF and EGR delete and extend your engines life and increase its performance.

Last edited by XFordFanboy; 04-13-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:34 PM

One of mine, looks blown up

2016 Z71 Baby D
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Quote:
I believe this is the poster that had a major engine issue, so this is just part of that.
Okay thanks
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:31 PM

Cleaned up some whining
@I DID IT Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer, welcome to the internet
DieselDrax likes this.

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFordFanboy View Post
I would think since you had a blown turbo that you were not getting a good burn in your combustion chamber which would also create additional deposits.
That makes sense.

DieselDrax also reminded me that the engine wasn't even through the break-in period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode