What's the worse that could happen (turbo fins mangled) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What's the worse that could happen (turbo fins mangled)

I also posted this photo on Facebook (if it looks familiar). My 2019 Colorado is brand new (about 300 miles now) and the turbo has been whining pretty much the whole time (it was raining the day I drove it home, so I can't say for sure if I heard it then). This truck replaced my 2017 that GM bought back under the Lemon Law - that one didn't whine at all (this is my 5th diesel vehicle so I'm familiar with the sound of the turbo).

I decided to pull the intake hose off to check to see if I had the bent vane problem I've heard a lot about (it didn't seem likely, since it doesn't freeze here and the truck is brand new). And found this mess.

The service manager said he thinks it's fine to drive it, since the noise hasn't gotten any worse and it has been happening for at least 200 miles of driving.

My question: Do you all think it's fine to drive it like this?

(Clearly this should be covered under the warranty - I hadn't even opened the hood until I popped it to take this photo. But the service manager said something about how they'll have to take a look to "see how this happened". But they can't look at it until Tuesday.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo.jpg (148.4 KB, 350 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Garage
I'd be looking for a loose bolt or screw. It IS mangled.That thing had something it tried to suck into its innards.
Toughsox and 16WhiteColly like this.

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
13,200 Miles 12-15-2018
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:22 PM

Location: Currently full-time RV traveler, looking for a new career in Washington or Oregon.
Garage
Holy crap... That's the worst I've seen. Any cats missing in the area??

I would not drive it. There's bent fins, then there's mangled fins. I think when you look at how fast that turbine spins, the chance of a failure that creates far more issues is much higher. But I'm not a mechanic, and if he says you can drive it...

"Ragnar": 2017 Duramax 4x4 Z71
-----------------------------------
04/20: Ordered at dealer
04/25: Accepted by GM (2000)
04/26: TPW 05/08 given (3000)
04/29: Vehicle ready to build (3300)
05/05: Order sent to production (3400)
05/13: 0946 AM, Ragnar is born
05/17: Delivered to dealership (5000)
05/24: Delivered to me (6000)

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 03-15-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolie View Post
I also posted this photo on Facebook (if it looks familiar). My 2019 Colorado is brand new (about 300 miles now) and the turbo has been whining pretty much the whole time (it was raining the day I drove it home, so I can't say for sure if I heard it then). This truck replaced my 2017 that GM bought back under the Lemon Law - that one didn't whine at all (this is my 5th diesel vehicle so I'm familiar with the sound of the turbo).

I decided to pull the intake hose off to check to see if I had the bent vane problem I've heard a lot about (it didn't seem likely, since it doesn't freeze here and the truck is brand new). And found this mess.

The service manager said he thinks it's fine to drive it, since the noise hasn't gotten any worse and it has been happening for at least 200 miles of driving.

My question: Do you all think it's fine to drive it like this?

(Clearly this should be covered under the warranty - I hadn't even opened the hood until I popped it to take this photo. But the service manager said something about how they'll have to take a look to "see how this happened". But they can't look at it until Tuesday.)
Wow that definitely had a nut or bolt get in and bounce around for a while.
I would drive it but easy.

So I wonder how many turbo failures that were thought to be ice were actually a nut or bolt or something else left in there after assembly.

Ouch

Rob
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:00 PM

Are you seriously asking if that's okay to drive??? Hell no. Quarantine that thing. Demand a tow and a loaner car, all costs covered. Show the service manager that picture if they question anything.

Worst case scenario, bits of aluminum get sucked in through the intake and you trash the cylinder walls/rings/valves on your brand new engine. Looking at the shavings already sitting there, I'd request they send a boroscope in all 4 cylinders to make sure that hasn't already happened.

2018 ZR2 satin steel metallic
1999 Mazda Miata

Slower than a herd of turtles in peanut butter!

Last edited by choneofakind; 03-15-2019 at 10:12 PM.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 PM

No, I would not drive this.

It is obvious that pieces of the blades have been broken off and are now all over the intake.

You best hope that the inter-cooler stopped them from getting into the cylinder heads, if that happens, well could score the cylinder walls so now you are looking at a new engine.

When turbo is being replaced they will need to clean out the whole system to make sure no pieces left. and I would watch oil consumption like a hawk now.
Toughsox, 16WhiteColly and joolie like this.

2016 Colorado LT, Laser Blue,CC,4WD,2.8L diesel, ARE Topper
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 PM

At least now we know where Sharon dropped that quarter on the assembly line.
And no, dont drive it. Id insist they checked everything downstream and replace anything affected.
ChaosTheory and joolie like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 ZR-71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:12 PM

If I was the tech. the intercooler would be replaced also. You can check the fins in it to see if something is temporarily stuck in it. Thatís my 2 cents.
Toughsox likes this.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Garage
Do not drive with your turbo looking like that.

-Eric

I run one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in the country. If you're having problems with a dealer or have a question about something, I'd be happy to help.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:06 AM

It's a brand new truck fresh off the lot. Had you not opened it up to look just for fun, would you still be driving today? Service manager says drive it, they'll take a look. While it's definitely not right, internet paranoia says park your new investment immediately the world is coming to an end. What about for the tons of others on the road driving right now that have no clue their fins are bent/damaged? Drive the truck as you otherwise would have intended for a brand new vehicle purchase. Take it to dealer when your appointment is scheduled and let them decide. While yes it sucks, it's covered under warranty and you're in better position than anyone to get it repaired properly under warranty as it's so new and unmolested/modified.

Best of Luck,

Mike
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:01 PM

That's a no from me dog.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05TJLWBRUBY View Post
It's a brand new truck fresh off the lot. Had you not opened it up to look just for fun, would you still be driving today?
Being ignorant doesn't make it any less of a problem. That's called gambling.

Park the truck and contact the dealer. Capture everything you can in writing for CYA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05TJLWBRUBY View Post
What about for the tons of others on the road driving right now that have no clue their fins are bent/damaged?
Who cares? That's not the OP's problem.

2018 ZR2 satin steel metallic
1999 Mazda Miata

Slower than a herd of turtles in peanut butter!
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:56 PM

Garage
Do not drive it. That is not the bent fin from ice that has been shown here on a few trucks. That is mangled from a hard object that was either dropped in intake post filter on assembly or maliciously from disgruntled employee at PDI dealer. .
If it were me I would demand a new truck because this is just purchased, and the turbo looks to have lost chunks of metal that have been blown into intercooler and possibly beyond.
If it were a bent fin like the ones that were affected by ice, I would say to keep driving it ( as some have done with no issues), have turbo replaced and carry on, but this is completely different. But, bolt ,screw, something was left in the intake and you should not have to own this truck.
Toughsox, n1d0n, Duken4evr and 3 others like this.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Hahahahah. Nice choneofakind. If you're happy with gambling and sub par work then go ahead and stick your head back in the sand. Try thinking big picture here and take a look at dmaxjr reply, see if that makes any more sense. He is 100% spot on correct. OPs turbo does not appear to be a bent fin from piece of ice. That thing is trashed. You paranoid folks stop driving that and tow it to dealer and dealer does his best work to replace the turbo. Great- you just got your turbo replaced. If you're happy with that, I feel bad for you. There is obviously metal that went elsewhere downstream in the engine from what is missing on those fins. Drive the son of a bitch til it blows up and the dealer takes it back. That way you're getting it fixed right with either a new truck or engine replaced rather than just the turbo. I would expect the damn thing get fixed, and fixed correctly being brand new off the lot with 300 miles and a big loan pay off looking like that. A turbo swap is NOT the right way to fix that thing. To think otherwise is foolish and a gamble I'm not willing to make.

Best of Luck,

Mike
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:28 PM

What's the worst that can happen? Problems and headaches and a shortened engine life, with GM and their dealer shining you on.

Something hard fragged that turbo, and metal bits were force fed into your engine at 22 PSI. Not the stuff one wants to have in their new 40K vehicle. If it were me there is no way I am keeping that truck. I would be a PITA, via legal action if necessary, to get the dealer to take the truck back and provide you with another one, or a refund. Absent the dealer taking care of me, I would get the turbo replaced under warranty and get rid of the truck.

Assuming I was dicked around by the dealer, I would also post that fragged turbo photo, name the dealer, and drop a negative PR nuclear bomb about how they dicked me around on every online outlet I could find. Alec Baldwin said it best in Pearl Harbor...

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior, Bose/Nav, GDE Engine & Trans Tunes, Provent 200, Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 03-17-2019 at 07:34 PM.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Woodys2718
Go to another dealer.

I had 1 bent fin and my dealer immediately put me up in a loaner until the turbo could be replaced.

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:18 PM

Garage
If you are still in warranty, they should tow it to the dealer at cost to them and furnish you a loaner car, and if they do not have one, make them get you a rental car at cost to them. Almost all dealerships, have Enterprise Rentals in them. I would be worried about what did it, and more so where the piece went/ended up. Are you in an area where it could have been a chunk of ice?

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxjr View Post
Do not drive it. That is not the bent fin from ice that has been shown here on a few trucks. That is mangled from a hard object
this
16WhiteColly likes this.

'18 Z71 Diesel
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Garage
Looks like GM should have put a screen inline before the turbo, to protect against this.
lusid likes this.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM

OP is in San Fran! Looks like a metal piece hit the thing and it pinballed every orifice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode