Max *Safe* Travel Trailer Dry Weight are you guys running? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Max *Safe* Travel Trailer Dry Weight are you guys running?

Looking at getting a bumper pull Travel Trailer. Never owned a TT, or towed one before and need advice from you guys who have one and use the 2.8 for trailering.

Thought first of getting a 23-27' TT w/ 5K Max Dry weight, however I was told that this is a bad idea and my '17 CCLB Canyon 4x4 can't handle it safely without exceeding GVWR or Payload.

Now thinking a 20-23' at 4K max DW would be a better match for this truck.

*What sway control/weight distribution hitch is "best"?

*What are good manufacturers of Travel Trailers? Which brands are junk?

*What tow mirrors are you using?

*Anything else I may be forgetting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:09 AM

I have a Keystone Bullet 308BHS. Itís 36í and weighs 6300 dry with a GVWR of 7600. Tows fine with a WD hitch and an add a leaf in the back. I use the Clearview mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by green02crew View Post
I have a Keystone Bullet 308BHS. Itís 36í and weighs 6300 dry with a GVWR of 7600. Tows fine with a WD hitch and an add a leaf in the back. I use the Clearview mirrors.

WTH 36' ? That's crazy. Aren't you way over GVWR when you're on the road?

Do you use a camper shell for aerodynamics?

What happens when it's windy or a truck/van passes by going faster than you? That must make you sh*t your pants, huh?
C3trevor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:20 AM

Garage
The mirrors from Boost Auto look to be good. And half the price of the clearview mirrors.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName View Post
WTH 36' ? That's crazy. Aren't you way over GVWR when you're on the road?

Do you use a camper shell for aerodynamics?

What happens when it's windy or a truck/van passes by going faster than you? That must make you sh*t your pants, huh?

Havenít noticed any difference when someone passes me. Drives great actually. No aero worries at all and I hammer the poor truck. No issue going 70mph. People worry too much about towing weights. This picture is without the WD hitch hooked up

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:12 AM

Ignore dry weight. Fantasy and unreliable. Best to compare GVWRs since those are max weight ratings and what really matters.

But even that isnít going to help, really. Our short but heavy 21 foot hybrid is tongue heavy due to axle placement and will put me overweight if Iím not careful even though the GVWR is only 5600LB. A longer trailer with a higher GVWR is easier to manage tongue weight with and tongue weight is going to be your problem. Specifically, running out of truck payload capacity before getting close to the max tow rating. Especially if you also plan on taking a truckload of people at the same time.

But, the longer the trailer the more prone to sway it will be and the more wind will push it, and as a result you, around.

When I took this pic I was over my truckís GVWR by 620LB and over RAWR by 240LB or so. Trailer weighed pretty much 5,000LB according to multiple CAT scale weighs.

NWStever-1 likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 3.0 EcoDiesel

Last edited by DieselDrax; 08-18-2018 at 10:16 AM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 12:48 PM

Glad to see you want join the camper crowd! You are asking for best, unfortunately that is very subjective. I will tell you to make sure you look at the max loaded trailer weights, knowing that you will have stuff the camper to ever get to those weights usually. These trucks are safe to tow to there maximum ratings with proper equipment and a driver that is experienced. I will tell you that if this is your first trailer this big, you may want to look at the smaller end of your wish list of trailers, until you get your confidence up towing a big sail that gets pushed around by the wind. As Dieseldrax said watch the tongue weight.
I use the Reese Dual Cam hitch with active sway control to tow a 28BHBE.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Safe and comfortable are relative, especially for someone new to towing. I suggest doing 1 or 2 weekend getaways with a rental of various sizes and weights. Also not all trailers are made equal in regards to aero drag. I've towed a up to capacity without issue but dimensionally small loads with zero issues. Aero plays a big role. There's also some people with misguided HD truck expectations of never knowing you're towing anything because you need 1,000 ft lbs of torque to tow 4k lbs. Or you have buyers remorse for going too small when you would have been fine going bigger and more spacious. Only way to figure out where on the spectrum you and your comfort level are is to go out and do, preferably before you throw down a stack of cash on a new unit unless you crap disposable cash and are ok trading it in 2 trips later.

Last edited by streak07; 08-19-2018 at 05:29 AM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:17 PM

Streak that was a great way to put it!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 AM

Over the past 30 years Iíve towed trailers over 300,000 miles. If you want reasonable performance shoot for something in the range of 70% of the vehicles max tow rating. Iím going to add a disclaimer to my own advise - if all you ever do are 50 mile trips to your favorite location then get whatever youíre comfortable with. If youíre going to pull through the desert, over and through the Rockies, across the plains (big winds) then stick to my suggestion. Will our trucks pull 75xx pounds. Sure, for a while. Iíve had a lot of tow vehicles, none of them are happy on long trips at max gross.

Peace,
Don
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:40 AM

Garage
What are you all using for TPMS on your campers? I am finding sub 100 kits that say only for cars, and 300+ kits for dual axle campers.

2016 GMC 2WD Short Bed SLT in Cyber Gray.
Towing package, Bose, Nav, and Driver alert
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 03:58 PM

*What sway control/weight distribution hitch is "best"? Equal-i-zer in my opionion. No chains, no cams, you just use your tongue jack to load the bars.

Doesn't matter the brand, just make sure it's four season if you camp in the summer/winter. The insulation is much better, and heated tanks means you can camp into the low teens no problem. I boondock a lot and prefer an on board generator so I can have A/C in the middle of nowhere. That also means I never pay to camp. Better views boondocking anyhow.

Others answered the Colorado specific questions, and I can't imagine towing with this little thing. It is hard enough on a full size in the mountains, and my LMM is 480hp/1000ft lbs of torque.

Abnmarine likes this.

Last edited by 18ZR2; 08-21-2018 at 04:16 PM.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ZR2 View Post
*What sway control/weight distribution hitch is "best"? Equal-i-zer in my opionion. No chains, no cams, you just use your tongue jack to load the bars.

Doesn't matter the brand, just make sure it's four season if you camp in the summer/winter. The insulation is much better, and heated tanks means you can camp into the low teens no problem. I boondock a lot and prefer an on board generator so I can have A/C in the middle of nowhere. That also means I never pay to camp. Better views boondocking anyhow.

Others answered the Colorado specific questions, and I can't imagine towing with this little thing. It is hard enough on a full size in the mountains, and my LMM is 480hp/1000ft lbs of torque.

Yes it looks like the equalizer was/is the most recommended hitch. I was told to get the 10k model as they don’t make an 8k.

And max safe trailer length is going to be 20-23 feet for this truck. That should put the GWR about 5500-6000 depending on trailer.

I really like the Lance 1995 and Keystone Outback 210 URS. The lance is about 10-12k more though but looks very well made. I like the rear slide on the outback.
18ZR2 likes this.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:55 PM

I used an equalizer hitch when towing my 24í Arctic Fox camper. Very nice setup. I didnít experience any sway or push from the larger trucks when they passed me. I highly recommend that hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2018 ZR2, diesel, Satin Steel Metalic
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
I used an equalizer hitch when towing my 24’ Arctic Fox camper. Very nice setup. I didn’t experience any sway or push from the larger trucks when they passed me. I highly recommend that hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I never heard of Artic Fox so I looked them up last night. They have a nice product. Do you have the 22G ? The AF TTs and Nash units look heavy duty and some, like the 22G don’t have a slide to worry about. They also look like they could handle some rough or eneven terrain. How is the build quality?
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:18 PM

Location: Currently full-time RV traveler, looking for a new career in Washington or Oregon.
Garage
I'm considering an 8.5x20 'toy hauler'-camper hybrid with 7700lb GVWR (dry weight 4000lbs) but with 950lb tongue weight. I'll be adding a 500lb motorcycle as my toy. I realize I'm a bit over hitch weight, but won't be packing up the bed with gear, so...

Possibly living out of this unit for awhile on a months-long road trip around the country. Thoughts?
Heavyhitter81 likes this.

"Ragnar": 2017 Duramax 4x4 Z71
-----------------------------------
04/20: Ordered at dealer
04/25: Accepted by GM (2000)
04/26: TPW 05/08 given (3000)
04/29: Vehicle ready to build (3300)
05/05: Order sent to production (3400)
05/13: 0946 AM, Ragnar is born
05/17: Delivered to dealership (5000)
05/24: Delivered to me (6000)
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I never heard of Artic Fox so I looked them up last night. They have a nice product. Do you have the 22G ? The AF TTs and Nash units look heavy duty and some, like the 22G donít have a slide to worry about. They also look like they could handle some rough or eneven terrain. How is the build quality?

I sold it a couple of weeks ago since we are moving to Florida in January but it was a 2012 Arctic Fox 22H model that I did a lot of modifications to. Book value was $13k and I sold it within 12 hours for $16k. You donít find used Foxes for sale often.

They make their own frames and the camper is pretty solid. Iíd always camp off of forrest roads and would even camp when elk hunting with temps into the single digits. It always keep me warm.

It weighed 5,700 lbs cat scale verified which was a tad over my ZR2 rating but I set the hitch correctly and both the truck and camper stayed level. No issues towing it either.

2018 ZR2, diesel, Satin Steel Metalic

Last edited by Abnmarine; 08-22-2018 at 09:44 PM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I'm considering an 8.5x20 'toy hauler'-camper hybrid with 7700lb GVWR (dry weight 4000lbs) but with 950lb tongue weight. I'll be adding a 500lb motorcycle as my toy. I realize I'm a bit over hitch weight, but won't be packing up the bed with gear, so...

Possibly living out of this unit for awhile on a months-long road trip around the country. Thoughts?

Does the garage mostly behind the axle of the trailer? Loading the motorcycle would actually help remove tongue weight.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:47 AM

Location: Currently full-time RV traveler, looking for a new career in Washington or Oregon.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoilburner View Post
Does the garage mostly behind the axle of the trailer? Loading the motorcycle would actually help remove tongue weight.
Maybe a bit, but not much. A huge chunk of the tongue weight is the generator, which sits on the front, right behind the LP tanks. That's a lot of weight, very far forward to offset.

"Ragnar": 2017 Duramax 4x4 Z71
-----------------------------------
04/20: Ordered at dealer
04/25: Accepted by GM (2000)
04/26: TPW 05/08 given (3000)
04/29: Vehicle ready to build (3300)
05/05: Order sent to production (3400)
05/13: 0946 AM, Ragnar is born
05/17: Delivered to dealership (5000)
05/24: Delivered to me (6000)
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Quote:
I never heard of Artic Fox so I looked them up last night. They have a nice product. Do you have the 22G ? The AF TTs and Nash units look heavy duty and some, like the 22G don’t have a slide to worry about. They also look like they could handle some rough or eneven terrain. How is the build quality?

I sold it a couple of weeks ago since we are moving to Florida in January but it was a 2012 Arctic Fox 22H model that I did a lot of modifications to. Book value was $13k and I sold it within 12 hours for $16k. You don’t find used Foxes for sale often.

They make their own frames and the camper is pretty solid. I’d always camp off of forrest roads and would even camp when elk hunting with temps into the single digits. It always keep me warm.

It weighed 5,700 lbs cat scale verified which was a tad over my ZR2 rating but I set the hitch correctly and both the truck and camper stayed level. No issues towing it either.

Yes it does look like a very nice trailer. I looked online and found some new 22Gs, kinda pricey like a lance but you gotta pay for quality. Not that many on RV trader though, maybe most of Northwoods production are special order models.

I like that there are no slides to worry about. That is a big plus for me. I’m gonna go check one out in person.

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode