Auxiliary transmission oil cooler - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 93Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Auxiliary transmission oil cooler

So I removed some plastic and traced the trans oil cooler lines on my diesel last weekend. It appears that the only transmission oil cooler is the one in the bottom of the radiator. Seems like a stupid move to put an external one on the V6 but NOT on the diesel that is highly likely to be used for towing.

I have seen short temperature rises to 230F (only for a couple of minutes) when towing the camper. It also runs around 210F for far longer periods in hot weather while towing that parachute. Even though this is within the specs for Dexron VI and the 6 speed trans, I would much prefer to keep things lower than this. Frankly the trans is a PITA to change fluid on, or even check the condition of the fluid, so prolonging the life would be nice. I had the service department print out the transmission service procedures from the computer if anyone needs them.

Just wondering if anyone has installed an auxiliary transmission cooler yet, and where/how you mounted it? There doesn't seem to be much space in the area of airflow behind the upper grill unless I use a relatively thin cooler and place it between the intercooler and A/C condenser.

Thanks!
macr88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM

You have same cooler on diesel that we have on V6

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #3 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
You have same cooler on diesel that we have on V6
Unfortunately, no... we do not! I personally removed the grill and a bunch of other plastic at the front and beneath the truck.

The V6 has a transmission oil cooler that is built into the top portion of the A/C condenser. The diesel does not have this. The intercooler sits in the area that this top portion would be on the V6 A/C condenser.
16WhiteColly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 11:20 AM

I constantly run around 190-200 degrees in Phoenix without towing anything, and when I got into the dirt roads in the mountains I saw 218 in 4 wheel drive and 1st gear. I thought this was concerning but, I spoke with GM customer service and the dealership and from what they told me was "If the transmission gets hot, the computer will inform you on your dash to slow down and let it cool. If it doesn't cool off from slowing down and gets in the too dangerous to drive temp range, the computer will tell you to essentially pull over."

I finally had to change the DIC off of the trans temp so I wouldn't worry about it. Id still like to see the trans run cooler though.
post #5 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I think that I read somewhere that it doesn't throw up the warning until around 260F. That is getting close to the limit for Dexron VI.

The reports on this forum from the V6 guys seems to point to them running MUCH lower trans temps. I feel like GM decided to rely on the lower temperature of the engine cooling system on the diesel to give enough cooling to the trans.

I watch the trans temp just so I can stop BEFORE it gets to that warning limit. I'm not freaking out about the occasional 230F for a few minutes, I sure would like to keep it a bit cooler than that. This truck was a MAJOR investment for me and I need it to last as long as possible.
NameEtc. and 16WhiteColly like this.
post #6 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:00 PM

Have you considered mounting an auxillary cooler to the frame or a crossmember so it gets cooled by air moving underneath?

2017 Colorado Diesel ZR2 CCSB 4X4, Deepwood Green Metallic ("Green Hornet")
Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #7 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

That is a very good thought! The plastic, factory 'skid plate' has a cut out for air flow (not sure which direction). The lines go into the radiator right there as well. A mount could easily be made that would position a cooler above it and you could seal the sides to the plate to promote the air flowing through the cooler... hmmmm I wonder how much air flow there actually is in that location? A stacked plate cooler might be a perfect fit. Of course if the air is flowing out from the engine compartment you would be using hot air that already passed through the radiator.

I think there is just enough space to get a plate-and-fin style cooler between the radiator and intercooler if it is small enough to fit above the condenser. About 8" tall I would say without taking a tape measure to it. But you would loose some efficiency in that location since you would be using air that has already been heated by the intercooler.

Last edited by DragonRado; 07-25-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: additional thought
post #8 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRado View Post
So I removed some plastic and traced the trans oil cooler lines on my diesel last weekend. It appears that the only transmission oil cooler is the one in the bottom of the radiator. Seems like a stupid move to put an external one on the V6 but NOT on the diesel that is highly likely to be used for towing.

I have seen short temperature rises to 230F (only for a couple of minutes) when towing the camper. It also runs around 210F for far longer periods in hot weather while towing that parachute. Even though this is within the specs for Dexron VI and the 6 speed trans, I would much prefer to keep things lower than this. Frankly the trans is a PITA to change fluid on, or even check the condition of the fluid, so prolonging the life would be nice. I had the service department print out the transmission service procedures from the computer if anyone needs them.

Just wondering if anyone has installed an auxiliary transmission cooler yet, and where/how you mounted it? There doesn't seem to be much space in the area of airflow behind the upper grill unless I use a relatively thin cooler and place it between the intercooler and A/C condenser.

Thanks!
The following diagram may help illustrating the transmission cooler location and its piping.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LWN 2.8L - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER PIPES (MYB).pdf (264.6 KB, 425 views)
green02crew and yammierider like this.

'16 Canyon Duramax
SLT 4x4 CC SB
post #9 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 12:51 PM

After some investigating, I believe there is room for an auxiliary cooler right behind the grille on either driver or passenger side.

Undercover Swing Cases

post #10 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 03:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon16Dmax View Post
The following diagram may help illustrating the transmission cooler location and its piping.
So, is this showing that there IS a transmission cooler built into the lower portion of the radiator?

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: a Matador, a Mastodon,
a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,
a Mercury Montclair, a Mark IV, a Meteor,
a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,
a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,
a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,
a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/418058.png
post #11 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM

Yes. At operating temps, the ATF will never get cooled below the temperature of the coolant.
16WhiteColly likes this.

Undercover Swing Cases

post #12 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 04:52 PM

I plan to install an auxiliary transmission oil cooler. Not because I feel I need it but rather to see if it can be done.
If anyone is interested, chime in and I will take pics.
DiNoto, k7tnt, green02crew and 2 others like this.

Undercover Swing Cases

post #13 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:35 PM

Do it. I may follow.

I suppose you'd install it post radiator, right? Seems like you'd get the best temp reduction that way.
post #14 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowslide View Post
I suppose you'd install it post radiator, right? Seems like you'd get the best temp reduction that way.
Yes, that is the way that you install it... in series after the tank cooler in the radiator. You also try to place the cooler in the coolest air flow possible.

Mine goes in this week for one of my free services. I plan to take a better look while they have it up in the air and see if any of the techs have any suggestions.

I think it would work well to bend 3/8 or 5/16 copper/aluminum/steel line to curl under the radiator tank and drill two holes for it to pass through in the plastic air shield that sits in front of the radiator at the bottom. This way you could run the lines straight up to the cooler. They would look like a big "J" so to speak.

ssgjurista... Do you happen to know which is the inlet and outlet on the tank cooler?
post #15 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:50 AM

Inlet (from transmission) on tank cooler is passenger side; outlet (back to transmission) is on the drivers side.
Thunderbear and mexica like this.

Undercover Swing Cases

post #16 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
Inlet (from transmission) on tank cooler is passenger side; outlet (back to transmission) is on the drivers side.
Thanks a bunch!
post #17 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRado View Post
Thanks a bunch!
UR welcome! Cooler and plumbing items are on order. Will take pics of install.
dmaxjr likes this.

Undercover Swing Cases

post #18 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
UR welcome! Cooler and plumbing items are on order. Will take pics of install.
I'll be watching this too. Thanks for doing it!

2016 Canyon, Duramax, All-Terrain, Cyber Grey, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 4x4, Sprayed on Bedliner, RC off road steps, Autospring 2.5 lift on 33's
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/429120.png
post #19 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai2000 View Post
I'll be watching this too. Thanks for doing it!
UR welcome!

Undercover Swing Cases

post #20 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:57 PM

Teaser pic. More to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01573 (1024x764).jpg (535.1 KB, 551 views)

Undercover Swing Cases

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in