Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor

Good times.....I have 700 KM (yeah, I got my brand new truck, waited months for it to be built and picked it up last Friday) and now I have a message that the "Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor"....I have not even had to fill the diesel tank yet but unless someone on here knows of some miracle fix, back to the dealership for service....cause I have so much time for that...

Sorry, just a little upset...any help or words of encouragement or something.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 PM

Garage
Unfortunatly this is a somewhat common occurance on a lot of newer diesels i have driven. Each time it was in a new truck 2 Dmax and 1 Cummins at work, each time we hooked up a code reader and reset the code, the message never returned on the Dmax trucks and returned twice on the Cummins but hasn't returned since. I chalk it up to the Nox sensor parameters being so tight that the slightest reading over/under the window and the ECM thinks the DEF fluid must be faulty because emissions are not being scrubbed to meet EPA blah blah.

I have seen this discussion on many diesel sites and 99% of the time it is NOT bad fluid , but a faulty Nox sensor or glitch in emission system. Don't be surprised if the dealer points the finger at you for adding improper (non GM) fluid. Even though you have not needed to add any yet.
Lester-C-Rodan likes this.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, so I get to look forward to lots of trips to the dealership then??.....ugh.,.,.I just got rid of my Tacoma because of the never ending leaf spring recall. I just want to drive my truck.

Oh well.....I don't think this dealership will blame me or say anything. They may find themselves very upset if they do accuse me of doing anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:36 AM

Garage
Try to find someone with a code reader/eraser, write down the code, clear it and see if it returns, before going to dealer. If it doesn't return... great..if it does then have warranty take its course.
16WhiteColly likes this.

post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:36 AM

^^^What he said.

2017 Colorado Diesel ZR2 CCSB 4X4, Deepwood Green Metallic ("Green Hornet")
Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, will see if I can locate someone with one. I only can drive 100 km more before it takes over and limits speed.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:12 PM

we currently have this on our only diesel in the fleet of about 15-20 Colorado/canyons, it only happens on long trips and dealer cant seem to find the issue. I will keep it up on this thread as we find more out. the truck is currently about 250 miles from our dealer. we got billed last time because they couldn't find the issue for the $700 towing bill....
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Got this on my truck this morning while towing the boat "Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor. I checked for codes and have none. The manual says to add fresh fluid and if the problem persist take it to the dealer.
Crazy thing is I just picked the truck off the dealer friday, after an oil change and some other minor warranty repairs, I wonder if they added DEF and was bad. I will try to add some tomorrow, if the tank is full I will know they did added some bad fluid. Truck has 7k miles, I have added DEF twice both time purchased it at the autoparts, last time was well over a month ago.

2016 Colorado 2.8 Duramax,
  • LT, Jet Black Leather, White,
  • CC, LB, 4x4, Sprayed on,
  • Bose, Navigation,
  • Switch Back LED's, HID Low, LED's High
  • 4" RC Lift, 33" Tires
  • Iron Cross HD Step
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsock View Post
Thanks, will see if I can locate someone with one. I only can drive 100 km more before it takes over and limits speed.
Had the same problem and message, it happened about 200km into a 300km trip. Funny enough, I kept driving for another 20km or so and the message disappeared never to reappear since... hope the same happens for yourself
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:47 AM

Well I can't add fresh fluid because it is full. I drive 60m round trip to work, so will do that tomorrow, and see if that clear up the message. If it doesn't it is back to the dealer. I also notice it was trying to do a regen this morning but I was driving around town and couldn't keep up the speed for long enough, don't know if a regen will help this message or not.
16WhiteColly likes this.

• Bose, Navigation,
  • 4" RC Lift, 33" Tires
  • Iron Cross HD Step
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:02 PM

This error cleared itself up after driving on the highway for about 15 miles.

• Bose, Navigation,
  • 4" RC Lift, 33" Tires
  • Iron Cross HD Step
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:37 PM

do not buy def from stores in bottles. I would strongly suggest truck stops that have it at the fuel island. I rub a trucking company and we have our own tank and we go through 300 gallons every 2 months at our terminal. it is delivered in big truck and pumped into our tank. When you buy off shelf it could be old and trucks stops like us buy it weekly
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappie man View Post
do not buy def from stores in bottles. I would strongly suggest truck stops that have it at the fuel island. I rub a trucking company and we have our own tank and we go through 300 gallons every 2 months at our terminal. it is delivered in big truck and pumped into our tank. When you buy off shelf it could be old and trucks stops like us buy it weekly

Good to know, thank you for that.

Now...I need to find a local truck stop, LOL. I'm in the middle "dead center actually" of po-dunk Louisiana.

2016 Duramax SLE - May 2016
GDE - Hot/Tranny
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappie man View Post
Buying DEF in stores is ok provided the customer checks the shelf life.
Desmontes likes this.

2017 Colorado Diesel ZR2 CCSB 4X4, Deepwood Green Metallic ("Green Hornet")
Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Garage
Just ran into this a few hundred miles into a road trip to Montana. Had an oil change yesterday and topped off with DEF, no problem with date or quality of it. Message popped up and then went away after 10 miles. Will keep you updated if any more issues arise...
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:43 AM

Garage
About a week ago I got this msg, was in the middle of a hunt with buddies but not terribly far from home. I abandoned the hunt and drove home, added what fluid I had, about 1.5 gallons, msg remained. Fast fwd about another .5 gallon of DEF, 150 miles and 3 days later, truck gets towed to dealer as max speed is now 4MPH. The dealer's changed out an injector and that didn't help. They've placed a call to Chevy and had the truck 2+ days now, no solution yet. I'll update when/if I get a solution.
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postvr8 View Post
About a week ago I got this msg, was in the middle of a hunt with buddies but not terribly far from home. I abandoned the hunt and drove home, added what fluid I had, about 1.5 gallons, msg remained. Fast fwd about another .5 gallon of DEF, 150 miles and 3 days later, truck gets towed to dealer as max speed is now 4MPH. The dealer's changed out an injector and that didn't help. They've placed a call to Chevy and had the truck 2+ days now, no solution yet. I'll update when/if I get a solution.
Im in the some boat as you. The check engine light came on. The dealer said it was the DEF Injecter. That was Wednesday last week they call me monday that it was not the injecter and now they trying to find out what it could be.
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:51 AM

I have a motor home with 16 DEF sensors. Getting them all to to talk to each other can be a nightmare as I am sure the Dmax is experiencing getting the EPA required bugs out. I bought an inexpensive code reader for my truck, on sale at Harbor Freight for $34.95 that I keep behind the seat. I tow my Colorado and it will throw codes, usually the ATC light, from being towed that I sometimes have to clear.

For those that don't use truck stops, Walmart DEF is $7.88 for 2.5 gallons. It is certified and fresh as they have a high turn over at that price. I have used over 100 gallons of Walmart DEF without the first problem with the 16 sensors.

Chuck
2016 Colorado Red Rock, Z71, 4x4 short bed crew cab, tow package, loaded to tow behind my Motorhome
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 06:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postvr8 View Post
My money is betting on a bad Nox sensor, very common on all the new diesels using DEF. Sensor goes bad, ECM thinks fluid must be at fault, sends poor quality DEF message and CEL. Eventually goes into limp mode. Fluid usually tests fine and 99% of the time it is a Nox sensor.

post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:39 PM

Garage
Well that's interesting! While I was hunting, after the exhaust fluid msg had already appeared, a buddy hooked up his 4 wheeler to my hitch to help keep me on a very muddy road (I was sliding sideways off it), the engine was on the whole time, but I wonder if that somehow messed with some sensor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode