• 1 Post By Iceman62
  • 1 Post By Toughsox
  • 1 Post By Toughsox
  • 2 Post By GregDAP
  • 3 Post By dawgman25

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

LED Light Upgrades Confusion

Gentlemen, I知 totally new to the upgrade world of trucks, so please bear with me as I wade into this wonderful money pit. I figured I have a Level/Lift coming and I need to do the Air Dam delete, but a big preference for me is to have LED lights.

I was hoping someone could point me to the right direction in terms of upgrading everything (Low, Hi, Tail, Bed, Day Time Running) to LED. From what I知 reading it looks like there痴 a few plug-n-play options and it also seems like I have to install heatsinks. I知 fairly handy but I値l take the path of least resistance every time, which is why I知 coming to you. For you LED guys, what's your recommendations for fairly painless upgrades? Thoughts? I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwater View Post
Gentlemen, I’m totally new to the upgrade world of trucks, so please bear with me as I wade into this wonderful money pit. I figured I have a Level/Lift coming and I need to do the Air Dam delete, but a big preference for me is to have LED lights.

I was hoping someone could point me to the right direction in terms of upgrading everything (Low, Hi, Tail, Bed, Day Time Running) to LED. From what I’m reading it looks like there’s a few plug-n-play options and it also seems like I have to install heatsinks. I’m fairly handy but I’ll take the path of least resistance every time, which is why I’m coming to you. For you LED guys, what's your recommendations for fairly painless upgrades? Thoughts? I appreciate it!

Lot's of threads here on this subject including those who might have been "confused" . An abundance of "thoughts" also in many threads covering what you need. Just need to take time to read what is already here. Use the Custom Google Search Box at the upper right just above the "Hot Deals" area. It's all been covered in many threads. . same question . . .

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/...-lights-3.html

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/...als%20interior
Toughsox likes this.

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
14,600 Miles 5-28-2019 382 Engine Hrs.
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 06-07-2019 at 02:58 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for clogging up the forum, I guess I'll ask diode dynamics guys in that first link, thanks.

I feel like I'm reading another language when I'm looking at resistors or diodes or any of that stuff.

How do I delete this thread?
Toughsox likes this.

2015 Black GMC Canyon SLT | CCSB | Total stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Sorry for clogging up the forum, I guess I'll ask diode dynamics guys in that first link, thanks.

I feel like I'm reading another language when I'm looking at resistors or diodes or any of that stuff.

How do I delete this thread?

Don;t have to delete. But maybe just post your questions in the thread already covering this subject.
Plus. .. the picture below and earlier posts in that thread tell all.

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/...ml#post4768897
Toughsox likes this.

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
14,600 Miles 5-28-2019 382 Engine Hrs.
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 PM

Take a look at VLEDs too...another quality option/vendor.

https://www.vleds.com/
Toughsox likes this.

The "Iceman" Cometh
MSGT, USAF (Retired)
18 Colorado LT Redline 4X4 Crew (Silver/Ice-Ice Baby)
Born in the US of A!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:26 PM

I know our vendors have superior products (at least thats what people seem to say about them) but, I have no resistors or heat sinks, and every light on my truck is LED.

All of my minor bulbs came from superbrightleds.com and on a recommendation from one of our members here, I have the Simdevanma's for my H9 and H11s up front (from Amazon) . Couldn't be more happy with their light output and, all of my lights are roughly 3 years old and havent had a single one blow out yet.

The H9/11s are under $25 this month so, cant hurt to try them.

If you lived anywheres near me Id gladly show you them in person. But....I aint driving down to Georgia anytime soon.....like in, forever.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 ZR-71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
Simdevanma's for my H9 and H11s up front (from Amazon) .

If you lived anywheres near me Id gladly show you them in person. But....I aint driving down to Georgia anytime soon.....like in, forever.

Since you live where it is some what cold/snowy, have you had problems with your LED headlights icing, covered with snow type issues?

You can always go to Hot-Lanta and do the Peach Tree Run...

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
Since you live where it is some what cold/snowy, have you had problems with your LED headlights icing, covered with snow type issues?

You can always go to Hot-Lanta and do the Peach Tree Run...
Never.
Hunter62 likes this.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
I know our vendors have superior products (at least thats what people seem to say about them) but, I have no resistors or heat sinks, and every light on my truck is LED.

All of my minor bulbs came from superbrightleds.com and on a recommendation from one of our members here, I have the Simdevanma's for my H9 and H11s up front (from Amazon) . Couldn't be more happy with their light output and, all of my lights are roughly 3 years old and havent had a single one blow out yet.

You have no hyper flashing with led turn signals and no resistors?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChilly View Post
You have no hyper flashing with led turn signals and no resistors?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I apologize as I should have clarified. All of my bulbs except for my turn signals have been changed. I have no resistors in my headlights. All other bulbs (vanity, backup, cargo, luggage, license plate, parking lights) have been changed.

I actually do have the superbrightleds signals, which they claim do not need resistors.....maybe I'll get off my lazy ass and plop them in tomorrow and see if I get the hyper flash.

Sorry for not being specific.
KingChilly likes this.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thread moved to the lighting section
GraniteBlue05 and Toughsox like this.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Gentlemen, I知 totally new to the upgrade world of trucks, so please bear with me as I wade into this wonderful money pit. I figured I have a Level/Lift coming and I need to do the Air Dam delete, but a big preference for me is to have LED lights.

I was hoping someone could point me to the right direction in terms of upgrading everything (Low, Hi, Tail, Bed, Day Time Running) to LED. From what I知 reading it looks like there痴 a few plug-n-play options and it also seems like I have to install heatsinks. I知 fairly handy but I値l take the path of least resistance every time, which is why I知 coming to you. For you LED guys, what's your recommendations for fairly painless upgrades? Thoughts? I appreciate it!
As far as headlights are concerned, I've been happy with my Amazon sourced Simdevanma LED's and they worked under my stock dust covers. In an abundance of caution, I extended the covers by using another set of stockers. Instead of gluing to assemble the extended covers, I carefully drilled holes on opposite sides and pop riveted them. To obtain the extra air circulation, I used a large hole saw to open holes in the bottom pieces to about 2&1/2 inches rather than slicing off the tops of the bottom pieces. The Simdevanma LED's have worked great for close to 4,000 miles. To be extra careful, I have an additional pair of the bulbs on hand in case of an LED failure, but so far they haven't been needed.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Garage
Im with Cutwater. I would rather do something that is easy but also works.

All i got out of those other threads was guys splicing into wires and adding this and that to get LED lighting. I dont really want to have to go through all that trouble for LED lights. I went down that road with my old Tacoma and it was a never ending snipe hunt.

What Road Glide posted sounds great if they last. And it sounds like they have so far. Why arent most doing that Simdevanma LED upgrade if its an easy plug and play?

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight Edition CrewCab/ Long Bed/ 3.6L
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:13 PM

Let me see if I can help you out. Just did a full transition to LED lights on my 2019 Canyon Denali. Front lights took maybe 30 minutes because the passenger side is a bit tough to get access to, but everything else was very easy. VERY happy with the upgrades and my headlights are probably 90% as good as my Xenon lights I had on my BMW. Here is what I got:

Headlights:

Very simple, plug and play. No issues at all, great output.

High Beam:

Work well, no issues and good spread. Don't use them a ton, so not that picky.

Rear Blinkers and brakes:

Need to get resistors. I am not great at this stuff, took maybe 30 minutes to figure it out, but not hard at all. Work great.

Backup and Cargo:

AWESOME. Super bright. Everyone comments on them when I unlock the car at night and the reverse lights everything up. No issues, easy plug and play. 5 minutes to install.

All interior and license plate:

Perfect. No issues, super easy to install, the covers just pop off. Took maybe 5-10 minutes to install all of these.

There are new low beam headlights by Sealight. 3 year warranty and looks to get good reviews. No brainer with the warranty and Prime:

So all in, I was just over $100 for a full LED conversion and maybe an hour or two tops of install time, $150 if you get the new version of headlights. Very simple stuff and very satisfied. I spent hours reading through posts and Sealights seemed like a very consistent brand everyone is happy with. If you don't want to do the research, use this as a cheat sheet. Just to confirm, these low beam headlights are for projector lights. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dawgman25; 06-12-2019 at 05:32 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM

Garage
Wow, thats a fantastic help. I dont mind doing the research on anything. But with so much info and opinions out there on the web it just gets muddled up and confusing.

So, thank you my pacific northwestern brother :)

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Happy to help. I have taken some great information from a lot of members here over the past few months so I want to give back. With the setup I did, you have to splice into 2 wires in each tail light for the blinkers. Other than that, it is very straight forward. You can take the whole light out for access, so it is very easy if you can tap into a wire. Resistors are $7 on Amazon. I didn't even tie them down, just shove them in there and put the light housing back in....once you confirm they work. Some people have issues with headlights, but the new ones are all very good and most come with good warranties, so you are covered.

Very satisfying project and not much money for the gains you get. Now, including LED's and good headlights on a 2019 $50k truck is an entirely new subject and I won't open that can of worms on this thread.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM

Garage
i have had ODX intense LEDs in my truck for about a few weeks and they are great. I just have them in my low beams and reverse lights, but it makes a huge difference.

White 2016 Colorado Z71

5.5 BDS Lift, Fox Dual Coil Overs, 18x9 Fuel Hostage wheels, 33 Toyo R/T tires, Rigid 20 combo light bar, 2 Rigid 2x2 spot light, 2 Rigid 2x2 flood light, 589Fab HD shock skids, Nitro 4.10 gears, Trifecta Adv+ tune, ODX intense bulb replacement

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:25 PM

In running the Hikari Ultra 12k lumen in both my high and low, and lower lumen Sealights in my fogs.

All my interior lights as well as my tag and reverse lights are LED.

I'm eventually going to change over my turn signal and brake lights soon.

2015 silver Z-71 CC, SB, V6, tow, Bose/nav.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 10:42 AM

Garage
Wow! What a difference! I bought the Sealight bulbs for my low beams. I cant believe how awesome it is. Was like 15 minute install. And will now buy the Sealight high beams and fog lights.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Really helped me out!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in