• 2 Post By mpack
  • 1 Post By Hunter62
  • 3 Post By White016
  • 2 Post By L3TLZR2
  • 2 Post By MaineMan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Why install a light bar?

I've noticed a lot of trucks now have light bars on them and I've even see quite a few Colorado's with them as well. I must be late to the game because I just don't see the point in them. What are the typical reasons to install them? I could see their usefulness if my truck was going off-road a lot but I'm not planning on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage
Not sure if serious...but Iíll answer anyways...
Off road they are very useful, even more so at high speeds off road.
Many people want to look like they off-road but instead only go to the mall.... mall crawlers.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels 17x8.5 00 offset-Special Thanks to [email protected] with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares
Weathertech floor liners
Borla cat-back system
As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Prerunner kit and king coilovers
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:31 AM

They are generally designed for off-road use. Night driving on rugged trails can be dangerous and/or harmful to your vehicle so a moderate amount of lighting helps spot abstacles before striking them. Same reason you see big lights on Baja trucks and Rally cars. Mall crawlers will often install them because they are a part of that rugged off-road look. If you drive dark rural roads every night then they can be helpful to spot animals or downed trees as well.

Example off and on road
Garrettb189 and MaineMan like this.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - Eibach 2.7" Front Lift | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1" AutoSprings AAL | 1" rear lift blocks | RC 1.25" body lift | DV8 887 17◊9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | DV8 rear bumper | DV8 front bumper | Smittybilt X20 12k winch | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | DV8 + ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Garage
I can only speak for myself, but yes, looks are a big deal to me. I also have a daily commute on highways that can sometimes be quite treacherous in the winter, and seeing that I am no longer a spring chicken, visibility is huge for me. They also come in handy on the odd camping trips.
MaineMan likes this.

2016 Extended cab LT
Zone 1.25 inch level.
OEM hood deflector.
Black bow ties.
Westin bull bar with 20 inch double row and 10 inch single row LED bars.
Blackened pinch welds.
OEM sport bar with two 12 inch double row LED's.
GM by advantage tonneua cover.
Hopefully(God and Wife willing) more to come.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Garage
@Garrettb189 - I believe the OP is serious. It was obvious he doesn’t off-road. Neither do I. Even so, if I could find a set cheap enough I consider it. I can see many opportunities to use them even if I don’t off-road.

A couple examples emergency situation for one. Also I live in a rural area. I’d turn them on when turning into my driveway. Look for skunks, raccoons, possums and even bear. Yes bear. My wife is a big birder and her feeders will attract bears. I’m sure there are many other reasons to have them.

Note: @F8LZ71 - excellent point about the weather. Do they work well in blinding snow storms?

Gusto!
F8LZ71 and White016 like this.

Black 2018 Colorado Z71, V6, Crew Cab, 4WD, Purch Apr/2018

THE REAL MaineMan
Previously Owned Trucks:
2017 Laser Blue Metallic Colorado Z71, V6, Ext Cab, 4WD, Purch Apr/2017 Traded Apr/2018
2005 Tan Colorado, 4 cylinder, Ext Cab, 2WD, Purch Oct/2005 Traded Nov/2010
1988 Blue Chevy S10. 4 cylinder, 2WD, Purch Sep/1989 Totaled/Wrecked Feb/1992

Last edited by MaineMan; 05-26-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added Note
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
@Garrettb189 - I believe the OP is serious. It was obvious he doesnít off-road. Neither do I. Even so, if I could find a set cheap enough I consider it. I can see many opportunities to use them even if I donít off-road.

A couple examples emergency situation for one. Also I live in a rural area. Iíd turn them on when turning into my driveway. Look for skunks, raccoons, possums and even bear. Yes bear. My wife is a big birder and her feeders will attract bears. Iím sure there are many other reasons to have them.

Note: @F8LZ71 - excellent point about the weather. Do they work well in blinding snow storms?

Gusto!
I have the light bars on the front of my truck aimed pretty low so yes, they do help quite a bit in the snow and fog. Put on a pair of polarized yellow glasses and good to go!

I have literally gone to work in the morning with no snow at all on the ground, and when I went home at the end of the day, there were 6 foot drifts and buried cars in the parking lot. I refuse to be stranded.
MaineMan likes this.

2016 Extended cab LT
Zone 1.25 inch level.
OEM hood deflector.
Black bow ties.
Blackened pinch welds.

Last edited by mpack; 05-26-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpack View Post
I have the light bars on the front of my truck aimed pretty low so yes, they do help quite a bit in the snow and fog. Put on a pair of polarized yellow glasses and good to go!

I have literally gone to work in the morning with no snow at all on the ground, and when I went home at the end of the day, there were 6 foot drifts and buried cars in the parking lot. I refuse to be stranded.
Good to know. Thank you.

If Iím not mistaken, arenít these illegal to run on most state highways?

Gusto!
CPTTango30 likes this.

THE REAL MaineMan
Previously Owned Trucks:
2017 Laser Blue Metallic Colorado Z71, V6, Ext Cab, 4WD, Purch Apr/2017 Traded Apr/2018
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:20 AM

Garage
For all of the above reasons and more. When used properly light bars or aux lighting has saved me from a bad situation more then once. From animals, hazards or even people I didn't see, to cutting through the rain and snow better than headlights alone do.

I don't know where you live OP, but there are some places where when it gets dark, headlights really don't cut it anymore. Think advanced darkness.

I remember one time I was getting onto a highway via an onramp during a snowstorm. This car ahead of me was going under 10mph on the onramp it was a white car and the taillights were so blocked with snow they couldn't be seen. This was even during the day, and if my aux lights didn't pick some sticker they had on the back window, I could have very easily rear ended that person.
F8LZ71, MaineMan and mpack like this.

" I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work." -C. Titus

Last edited by bnemmie; 05-26-2019 at 02:40 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
@Garrettb189 - I believe the OP is serious. It was obvious he doesn’t off-road. Neither do I. Even so, if I could find a set cheap enough I consider it. I can see many opportunities to use them even if I don’t off-road.

A couple examples emergency situation for one. Also I live in a rural area. I’d turn them on when turning into my driveway. Look for skunks, raccoons, possums and even bear. Yes bear. My wife is a big birder and her feeders will attract bears. I’m sure there are many other reasons to have them.

Gusto!
Yes although the more blue the light color the less helpful it is. Here you can see how even my cheap generic ditch lights really help light up the area above and to the left and right of my headlight beams. Notice the bluish hotspot on the left. That bugs me because it screws up natural color rendition. Quality lights won't have that blue tint and they are much brighter. For blizzard driving on rural roads I'd suggest a light system mounted below the hood on the bumper area. Ditch lights on the hood cast too much light on the hood and can reduce long distance night vision. I'll be adding a bumper light so I only need the ditch lights for extreme side visibility which greatly reduces hood glare when tge pods are angled out.

A basic bull bar from GoRhino or Tyger with a cheap 20" to 40" light bar wouod work really well for your needs. I'm currently using NiLights off Amazon but I'll be adding a bar from DV8 soon.

Example of a "cheap" NiLight bar. Remember, the more expensive brands a better made, more rugged and way bright but for cheap asses like me this brand works well enough.

bnemmie, MaineMan and L3TLZR2 like this.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - Eibach 2.7" Front Lift | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1" AutoSprings AAL | 1" rear lift blocks | RC 1.25" body lift | DV8 887 17◊9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | DV8 rear bumper | DV8 front bumper | Smittybilt X20 12k winch | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | DV8 + ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram

Last edited by F8LZ71; 05-26-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

I live in middle Georgia. There is no such thing as snow here. If it ever snows, everyone just stays home lol. I think the mall crawler type is what I see most often. I doubt most of those trucks go off road. I agree that snowy conditions would be useful for light bars. Are they legal to use on highways?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Good to know. Thank you.

Gusto!
Yes!

And even if you're a rebel, they shouldn't ever be on when there is oncoming traffic. They can be very blinding and thus dangerous to you and other people on the road(or side of the road).
MaineMan likes this.

Build Thread

Instagram
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Good to know. Thank you.

Gusto!
I don't live in the states but yes, even up here they are illegal for on road use, although there is some grey area here because they are mounted so low. However, if used courteously they can be a huge help. I have them mounted on a bull bar and aimed very low because I just need to see the road directly in front of me. I always switch off when there is on coming traffic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1236.jpg (177.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190126-091431.jpg (206.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190126-091441.jpg (309.6 KB, 36 views)
F8LZ71 and MaineMan like this.

2016 Extended cab LT
Zone 1.25 inch level.
OEM hood deflector.
Black bow ties.
Blackened pinch welds.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8LZ71 View Post
I'll be adding a bar from DV8 soon.

Don't do it bro, I'm 1000% sure thats generic chinese trash. Go with STEDI. It's only a bit more $ and it will blow your mind how much better it is. I'm going to be selling my C4 pods soon and replacing them with Squadron Pro's so if youre in the market for a pair of cubes that are brighter than the regular squadron sports, let me know.

Squadron sports 3125 lumens - $225 USD
STEDI C4 4200 lumens - $89 AUD ~ $65 USD
Squadron Pros 4900 lumens $349 USD

'18 V6 ZR2 Summit | GMPP Cat-Back Exhaust
OEM Spare Carrier | Bose | Bed Lighting
STEDI 30" ST3K & C4 Pods | RC & CBI mounts
Baja Designs S2 Sport Amber Chase lights
STEDI Copperhead H11 LED low beams

Last edited by owl_93; 05-26-2019 at 12:56 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:00 PM

I have thought several times about putting a light bar on my truck, but even cruising across Missouri, Kansas and Colorado on the interstate there is so much on-coming traffic that it would be a constantly off and on the whole way. Even going to where I stay and to where I hunt, 20 miles of 2 lane highway and then 5 miles of sand roads, to much traffic. Where I hunt I do not want to light up the night, would rather all lights be off and use night vision head set.
MaineMan likes this.

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
I have thought several times about putting a light bar on my truck, but even cruising across Missouri, Kansas and Colorado on the interstate there is so much on-coming traffic that it would be a constantly off and on the whole way. Even going to where I stay and to where I hunt, 20 miles of 2 lane highway and then 5 miles of sand roads, to much traffic. Where I hunt I do not want to light up the night, would rather all lights be off and use night vision head set.

And that is why he is called Hunter.
F8LZ71, MaineMan and mpack like this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6 LT
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
Blackoak LED actually does sell IR light bars and pods, so maybe you could use the night vision headset with those!

But seriously, in response to the OP - I only went with my ditch lights for those times when I underestimated how long it would take to finish a trail, or if I'm overlanding to the next campsite and time runs long. My daytime vision isn't the best, and if it's getting dark or night has already fallen, I'll take all the help I can get spotting the trail. I've actually only used them offroad twice (both times in the dead of winter), and they certainly do light up the world so much better than even the high-beams. I haven't yet installed my light bar, but it should be even better! Plus, like others have mentioned, they do look cool, so there's that.
MaineMan and mpack like this.

2018 Colorado ZR2 | 2.8L Duramax | ECLB Deepwood Green Metallic | Bose | Nav

Mods: GM bed lights | 589 shock skids & 1" level | Motobilt fuel can holders | Badass Moto Gear fire extinguisher mounts | BORA 1.5" wheel spacers | CBI ditch light brackets & hidden-winch half-bumper | Black Oak 40w ditch lights | Realtree neoprene seat covers | Datin 16" base station | Warn Zeon 12 Platinum winch | Tepui Baja Ayer 2 RTT | AEV Bison skids

To Do: Black Oak 400w bar | Echomaster front camera

Last edited by L3TLZR2; 05-26-2019 at 12:43 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:31 PM

Garage
I know I didnít start this thread. It has been an excellent read and educational as well.

Thanks everyone,
Gusto!
F8LZ71 and mpack like this.

THE REAL MaineMan
Previously Owned Trucks:
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl_93 View Post
Don't do it bro, I'm 1000% sure thats generic chinese trash. Go with STEDI. It's only a bit more $ and it will blow your mind how much better it is. I'm going to be selling my C4 pods soon and replacing them with Squadron Pro's so if youre in the market for a pair of cubes that are brighter than the regular squadron sports, let me know.

Squadron sports 3125 lumens - $225 USD
STEDI C4 4200 lumens - $89 AUD ~ $65 USD
Squadron Pros 4900 lumens $349 USD
For sure!

Build Thread

Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode