Backup Sensors - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Backup Sensors

When I had an Avalanche, the truck would beep when I was getting close to objects. I see the sensors on the back bumper but no sound, shouldn't the truck make the noises?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:17 PM

What are you driving????????

Canada, US, Mexico?

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdibr View Post
When I had an Avalanche, the truck would beep when I was getting close to objects. I see the sensors on the back bumper but no sound, shouldn't the truck make the noises?
What truck, trim and packages? What you're looking for isn't standard on base models.

Last edited by Tucson Bill; 05-15-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, 2019 Z71 Midnight Edition.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdibr View Post
Sorry guys, 2019 Z71 Midnight Edition.

Sounds like you should have rear park assist, but I don't know how Chevrolet implements it. On my wife's Lexus it can be turned on and off (though why I don't know). Could that be the case for yours? Hang tight and I'm sure you get help here.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
There is a switch on the lower center panel(far right side by 4 way flasher switch) that turns it on and off(switch has yellow light in it when on). Also turned on or off in the infotainment center page 136 in owners manual.
Goodspike likes this.

2019 Colorado Z71 CC V6 Pacific Blue Metallic
Chevy side steps
Tyger Tonneau cover
Weathertech Mud Guards
Weathertech Floor Mats
TAC Bullbar
Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 PM

GM cheaping out.

My 2015 frontier sv had dual climate control and back sensors.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
GM cheaping out.

Also way cheaper than the colorado as that is why I got it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
GM cheaping out.

And your relevant point would be?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Bill View Post
Quote:
GM cheaping out.

A vehicle that cost a lot less has options a more expensive vehicle doesnt.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
GM cheaping out.

... mine beeps when I'm backing up to something. *shrugs*
Opusnbill7 likes this.

2019 Colorado CCSB Z71 2wd
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsite34 View Post
There is a switch on the lower center panel(far right side by 4 way flasher switch) that turns it on and off(switch has yellow light in it when on). Also turned on or off in the infotainment center page 136 in owners manual.
I wish that and the lane assist warning worked the opposite way--light off when not working, as a warning that they are not working. Maybe a red light. Always seems sort of odd to have those two lights on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudRacing View Post
... mine beeps when I'm backing up to something. *shrugs*
And it's really quite sensitive. I'm glad it's not connected so that it operates the brakes!

The wife's Subaru also has the feature that warns you when someone is approaching from the sides. Really nice when you're backing out with a blocked view. That's probably my favorite of all the new driver assist safety features. Much more useful than lane assist.

Last edited by Goodspike; 05-16-2019 at 01:52 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
GM cheaping out.

It may have had those things, but theyre bolted to an antiquated nissan, a design that is now 15 years old. Also the worst truck ive driven from the ‘current’ era.

Dunno about you but id rather have a better pig than a shit pig with good lipstick on it.
CaryBosse, Garrettb189 and DB/SB like this.

2016 Colo Z71 4X4, CCLB Duramax Cyber Grey
2017 All Terrain Bobcat camper.
Air dam delete, Bilstien 5100's w/ 2" Front setting. Firestone Ride Rites.
Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus LT265 70 17. Hypertech Speedo Calibrator.
Stubby Jr 2" antenna. Weathertech floor liners, mudflaps, seat covers, and window deflectors. Camerasource back up camera for camper.
Lots of maps and dreams and climbing gear.
Orca 26L, Coleman Steel Belted 54L.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand foot maneuver View Post
It may have had those things, but theyre bolted to an antiquated nissan, a design that is now 15 years old. Also the worst truck ive driven from the ‘current’ era.it.
I'm not one who judges a truck by when it was designed, but that said, the Nissan when I looked at it had nothing special to offer. I suspect that's more of the reason why it sells at the level it sells than the date of design. It was pretty blah in virtually every way, and ignoring the typical press gushing at anything new, that was probably true from day one. I'm surprised Nissan can't sell more of them to companies like Telecoms, for their workers to drive. It has a steering wheel and a bed, which is all they need, but Nissan can't even crack that market. That speaks volumes.

But I write due to the climate control comment. After living with a 2012 Rav4 with automated climate control I've been leery to buy another vehicle for myself with automatic climate control. It can be like having a 5 year old sitting within reach of the controls--doing things you never wanted it to do. Fortunately the climate control on the wife's 2019 Subaru is not so bad, but actually I slightly prefer the basic Colorado heating/cooling system. It has so much air flow and so many fan speeds that I've yet to find it necessary to switch from the floor/vent setting, and adjusting the temperature is more often just adjusting the fan speed. Maybe the automatic system is even better, but the basic system is really nice. And when the fan changes speed it's because I want it to!
Tucson Bill likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
GM cheaping out.

And I suspect in 2015, your Frontier did not have a camera mounted on the rear.

Let's see, would I rather have a beeper screaming at me, or a nice view of the wall I am trying to back up to?

I put this in the category of idiot lights versus a gauge: Do I want a light to go off on the dash telling me I just overheated, or would I like to look at a gauge that tells me my engine is running warmer than normal and perhaps I should take a look at it?

I don't get to park my truck in the garage anymore, but when I did, I would back up my truck using the camera to within about 8"-10" of the wall. I knew I could close the garage door then. With the alarms only, I would have either needed to hang a tennis ball from the ceiling or would have found myself getting out and checking every time I parked.

I have had the dual climate control on multiple vehicles. My wife still complains I freeze her when I am driving, so I am not sure that it is that great an option. It sounds good in theory, practically, I just don't see it working that well. I would actually love to see some sort of front/rear zones. Both my 1990 GMC Safari and my 2001 Tahoe had rear ac units, that made the rear much more comfortable, Side to side, not so much. (I know, our truck cabs are not large enough to justify a rear ac, just pointing out the more critical zones as I see it.)

When I was shopping for my truck, I looked at Frontiers and Tacos. My wife's comment on Frontier was it looked like crap, cheap, antiquated, did not even want to wait for a sales person to come out and talk to us. At the Toyota dealership, her only comment was those people are rude, they don't want to sell us a truck.

(In fairness, the first Chevy dealer we went to together, she stated that sales guy is an idiot, doesn't know what he is talking about. The GMC sales guy recognize I knew more about the truck than him and politely let us test drive and didn't flap his gums uselessly.)

Wife's Nissan has got surround cameras and all kinds of alerts and alarms built into the system. Seems to work pretty good. I wouldn't mind that system on my truck, for a reasonable price.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand foot maneuver View Post
Quote:
GM cheaping out.

It may have had those things, but theyre bolted to an antiquated nissan, a design that is now 15 years old. Also the worst truck ive driven from the ‘current’ era.

Dunno about you but id rather have a better pig than a shit pig with good lipstick on it.
They dont have recalls or shuttering trannies. LoL
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
... But I write due to the climate control comment. After living with a 2012 Rav4 with automated climate control I've been leery to buy another vehicle for myself with automatic climate control. It can be like having a 5 year old sitting within reach of the controls--doing things you never wanted it to do because I want it to!

I've got to agree. The only redeeming feature of automatic climate control is that it can usually be over ridden. The 1996
Ford ranger that I just sent to the scrap heap was the last car I've had with manual controls. One knob for fan speed and one knob for temp. It just didn't seem that complicated to me.
White016 likes this.

Last edited by Tucson Bill; 05-17-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Correct Quoting
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
I've got to agree. The only redeeming feature of automatic climate control is that it can usually be over ridden. The 1996 Ford ranger that I just sent to the scrap heap was the last car I've had with manual controls. One knob for fan speed and one knob for temp. It just didn't seem that complicated to me.

But the knobs are soooo far away and soooo hard to reach. /obvious-sarc
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:17 PM

I never used the auto control, it was just nice so I didnt have to have the heater cranked up on my side because my passenger is cold blooded.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Took it back to the dealer, they had to factory reset the infocenter and resync with the bumper sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode