Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Need tires for my Z71

8K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Hunter62 
#1 · (Edited)
Truck has 36000 miles and are already worn enough that it can be a hazard in the rain. Looking to stick with the stock size, and I like how it feels with the stock Goodyear's.

Are Z71 owners out there sticking with the stock Goodyear's or is there a better deal with a different brand? Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: MaineMan
#2 ·
I’m not there yet. My plan is to stick with the stock size. I like the Z71 stock tires but plan to look at other option. As long as they’re quite.

Keep us posted. Like to see what you finally decide.

Gusto!

#3 · (Edited)
what size? Z71 had a couple different size's

do you off-road? drive on mudy roads now n then? streets with ice n snow?

#4 ·
I mostly drive on blacktop, never offroad but I still want "truck" tires on my truck rather than tires that look like car tires.

Stock size is 255/65-R17

#5 · (Edited)
Reactions: F8LZ71
#8 ·
And the Cooper AT3 4S. :)

Reactions: Hunter62
#9 · (Edited)
Michelin Defender LTX M/S are great tires.
They aren’t the most fancy looking tires but they perform very well on the road in all sorts of weather. And are smooth and quiet at highway speeds.

I just put them on lay company Work truck. I also put them on my dads truck. And I’ll be putting them on my Colorado when it’s time for tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
They aren’t the most fancy looking tires but they perform very well on the road in all sorts of weather. And are smooth and quiet at highway speeds.

I second that. Excellent tire in all kinds of conditions. Tough and puncture resistant, too.

#13 ·

I second that. Excellent tire in all kinds of conditions. Tough and puncture resistant, too.
Third vote for this tire, especially for on-road only use. Outstanding on any vehicle I’ve ever run them on, long life, quiet, still a truck tire. Best highway truck tire available.

Gonna add to the mix the Continental TerrainContact. This tire is marketed as 90% on road and 10% off, which was a good split for my use, and is in line with the stock Goodyears on the Z71. I’ve been very happy so far with ~20k on mine. I would still buy the Michelin for your stated use as it’s a highway truck tire, but you wouldn’t go wrong with these.

The Goodyears are not a bad tire either. Mine wouldn’t hold a balance (an issue I’ve had with other Goodyear tires), so that combined with a little shorter life, wanted a change.

Reactions: Hunter62 and F8LZ71
#30 ·
Third vote for this tire, especially for on-road only use. Outstanding on any vehicle I’ve ever run them on, long life, quiet, still a truck tire. Best highway truck tire available.

Gonna add to the mix the Continental TerrainContact. This tire is marketed as 90% on road and 10% off, which was a good split for my use, and is in line with the stock Goodyears on the Z71. I’ve been very happy so far with ~20k on mine. I would still buy the Michelin for your stated use as it’s a highway truck tire, but you wouldn’t go wrong with these.

The Goodyears are not a bad tire either. Mine wouldn’t hold a balance (an issue I’ve had with other Goodyear tires), so that combined with a little shorter life, wanted a change.
I love my Terrain Contacts. I only have 10k on them, but I'm super pleased. Great handling, quiet, and really good in the rain. They also have an aggressive looking sidewall so my All Terrain doesn't look weird with an all season on it.

#11 ·
I'm pretty comfortable with my Goodyear tires right now, but my dad had a lot of trouble with them on his Traverse. He got slow leaks on three different tires twice. He's *this* close to having to get new tires because he can't patch them anymore. I don't want to have that same issue.

If and when I buy out my truck, when it needs new tires, I'm definitely putting Michelin's on it. Michelin currently has two types of tires for the 17" Z71 wheels, the Defender LTX M/S and the Latitude X-Ice XI2, size 255/65R17. I would suggest getting those if you're looking for a better tire. They may be a little pricey, but they'll last you a long time. Here's the link for the site: https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/Chevrolet/Colorado/2017/Z71.html

On my old 2002 Camry, I went through three pairs of tires, two of which were Michelin's. We changed the stock ones out for Michelin's shortly after we got the car, and put a new set on when I started driving the car. The tread wasn't worn, but the sidewalls were a little cracked. The only reason we changed them was because my dad wanted me to have brand new tires on the car. But the first set lasted over 45,000 miles, and were still kicking sixteen years later! :lol:

#12 ·
Michelins are excellent tires if you don't need a lot of off-road grip or deep snow traction. I assumed the OP was looking to stick with an AT that offered as good or better off-road traction as the oem Wrangler.

#15 ·
I like my dura tracs, and others when going to a larger tire have gone with dura tracs.

quite a few go with Falkens or KO's for some reason?

I am mainly road, some snow and a month or 2 of hunting season sand roads and pastures.
I always liked the Dick Cepak Fun Country but there are e-rated and 56lbs

on previous trucks I have had the Cooper at3, Michellins LTX, Firestond Destinations, Hankooks(hated) and others, all worked fine and wore fine.

#18 ·
I can't help but cringe watching that video. They don't air down the big mud tires for one and they air down the LTX such that without sidewall armor those tires would be shredded in no time. The LTX is a great tire but those rocky trails are not the place for them. Sure you may get through a few sections but long term it's a recipe for disaster. Kinda like the stock Kia that took on Hell's Revenge Trail. Sure, it could manage to get through but it won't be pretty and it can't do it without damage or repeatedly. :)

#19 ·
I run Cooper Discoverers during the winter, but need to replace the Goodyears for summer. 160KM pretty much split between the two sets and the Coopers still look almost new while the Goodyears are shot. I have always found them noisy, not great on wet pavement, and the obviously did not wear very well.

I don't do a lot of off road, but I do pull a 5500lb trailer. My daily commute is 110km each way, 90km of it highway. I want quiet, comfortable, good on wet pavement, and a bit longer lasting!

It is sounding like the Michelins might be the way to go?

#20 ·
Yup. They are fuel efficient too. Although if you just need a highway tire the Continental Crosscontact LX20 may be a better choice if they come in your size. They offer better wet traction and will be more efficient.

Reactions: gcarter95
#21 ·
I agree with getting the Michelin LTXs if you're mostly driving on freeways. My truck is basically a commuter car since I'm working 7 days a week trying to build up my savings. The noise is much less than what the stock tires gave on the Los Angeles freeways. It's also quite smooth and handles bumps and potholes like nothing. They are pricey but I think they are worth the cost though.

#22 ·
I'll add another vote for the Michelin LTX. I had them on my last truck and they were excellent for wet road traction, which is where the Goodyear really fails. In addition, they gave the truck a nice ride and the wear was exceptional.

#24 ·
That's because they are GM spec so probably different actual chemistry than the normal versions. Mine were basically toast by 25k and not safe in rain or snow. Keep an eye on your fuel economy. Nearly everyone will see a drop with new tires even if they stay with the same exact model due to difference in diameter and wear. Old tires are shorter and have less tread so less hysteresis effects which translates to less rolling resistance.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=177

Reactions: Ben F
#25 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

I ended up going with the stock Goodyear Wrangler A/T's again since they seem to be the best deal with the $80 rebate, and my truck does just fine with them...and they have that "truck tire" look.

The Michelin's looked more like car tires. The Falken's looked really good and was considering them for a bit, but then decided to stick with what I know...

#26 ·
I ended up replacing my tires at somewhere around 30k on them. Had a nail go in the tread and out the sidewall. I went back with the OEM tires.

If I had to do it again, my picks would be:

Michelin LTX

Cooper Discoverer AT3

General Grabber AT2 would be on the list IF they had them in the 255/65R17

I've ran both the Coopers and Generals on my first gen, and the tread life far exceeded expectations, on and off road handling was pretty good, and they were quiet.

#27 ·
Bit the bullet and had Michelin LTXs mounted on Friday. Tires, mounting & balancing, 4 wheel alignment, and the ever hurtful HST - $1,305 CAD. I will need to file the $70 rebate this week.

As soon as I left the lot I could feel the difference, so much better a ride and so much quieter.

I put around 250 KM on them towing ~ 5,500 lbs on the highway this weekend and could not be happier.

#31 ·
I have Falken Wildpeak AT3w on my LT. I don't do much offroading at all. Did drive in snow and ice. I was driving over icy patches and watching other cars and truck go off the road. My truck just drove right on by without even thinking of breaking loose.

I have 45k on them now and I will be replacing them around the fall with either another set or Toyo AT's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.