Level Spacer vs. Coil Over for mostly Highway Driving - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 13Likes
  • 2 Post By asesino
  • 2 Post By asesino
  • 1 Post By F8LZ71
  • 2 Post By hand foot maneuver
  • 1 Post By hand foot maneuver
  • 3 Post By Teagan
  • 2 Post By fondupot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Level Spacer vs. Coil Over for mostly Highway Driving

Hello,

New Colorado owner here. I already purchased the 1.25" Zone spacers but haven't installed them yet. I put spacers on my Silverado, and the ride was "alright". I do a lot of Highway driving, and my truck will see occasional off road & Trail riding. I'm looking for about 1-2" of lift that will give me the best ride. Between the Spacer, the Eibach and the Bilstein shocks, what would give me the best ride?

I've read on a few threads about using the the Eibach shocks with the stock springs. Is there different ones for with and without the Eibach Springs?

Also, I can't find the Bilstein 5100 shocks for the front. All I find are the ones for the rear.

Thanks in advance for the help, I just only want to do this once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:09 AM

the spacer will give the better ride, as it does not compress the springs like the other 2

for the front Bilstein shocks, well, there is a thread on this, and they are not to be found on the internet but seveal have bought them thru their local off-road/truck dealer, but the last comment on that thread was over a year ago
also in that thread someone mentioned theat Eiback made them for Bilstein but was never confirmed

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
the spacer will give the better ride, as it does not compress the springs like the other 2

for the front Bilstein shocks, well, there is a thread on this, and they are not to be found on the internet but seveal have bought them thru their local off-road/truck dealer, but the last comment on that thread was over a year ago
also in that thread someone mentioned theat Eiback made them for Bilstein but was never confirmed
In my opinion replacing the struts with any of the RHA options will perform better than stock struts with spacers, BUT I do agree that over-pre-loading the struts to gain lift reduces performance of that strut. That's why I went with the Eibach kit with their springs. The springs add 2" and the shock can be left unloaded or only slightly preloaded (.7"). This greatly improved my ride over stock and got me the lift I wanted.

Just my 0.02.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
F8LZ71 and Hunter62 like this.

2017 Canyon CCSB V6, SLE All Terrain, Black
- Eibach Pro Truck Kit @ 2.7" - Zone 1.5" Body Lift - XD135 Grenade 17x8.5 +0 Offset - BFG All-Terrain KO2 285/70r17 - Trifecta Advantage+ Tune
- Air Dam Delete - 30" RC Curved Light Bar - LED Bed Lighting - Access Vanish Tonneau - Magnum RT Steps

- Planned: bed rack, full spare mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Donít the Eibach spring have a higher spring rate? Should that give me a harsher ride on the highway? Could I run the Eibach with stock spring? I thought I read that would give a better HW ride, but not as good off-road.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teagan View Post
Donít the Eibach spring have a higher spring rate? Should that give me a harsher ride on the highway? Could I run the Eibach with stock spring? I thought I read that would give a better HW ride, but not as good off-road.
I wouldn't characterize the Eibach ride as harsher. But I think it's true that you "feel more things happening". Most people describe the suspension change from stock as more controlled, confident. I feel more "events" from the suspension, but all events feel better and more controlled. Body roll is greatly improved, which is nice for on-road driving (and off). With the stock suspension, I felt just plain unstable over basic things like bridge transitions or significant concrete expansion seams on highways. Certainly washboards of any kind or railroad tracks were a mess. The Eibachs make all these *significantly* better (and safer!).

I imagine the ride is similar with or without their springs. I don't know the spring rate difference, but I imagine they are slightly heavier, yes. The primary spring difference is it's just taller (providing that 2" lift over the stock spring). You can run the Eibachs with stock springs. You'd probably get a *slightly* softer version of the Eibach ride described above.

That said, you're not going to get the lift from the system at that point, so you'd be back to the spacer solution. While you could crank up the height setting by preloading the shock (each notch adds about 0.7" lift up to ~2"), you're reducing the useful compression and ride quality of the shock as you do that. Plenty of people do it and are fine with the ride, but you're particularly interested in ride quality, so it seems counter to your goals.
F8LZ71 and hand foot maneuver like this.

2017 Canyon CCSB V6, SLE All Terrain, Black
- Eibach Pro Truck Kit @ 2.7" - Zone 1.5" Body Lift - XD135 Grenade 17x8.5 +0 Offset - BFG All-Terrain KO2 285/70r17 - Trifecta Advantage+ Tune
- Air Dam Delete - 30" RC Curved Light Bar - LED Bed Lighting - Access Vanish Tonneau - Magnum RT Steps

- Planned: bed rack, full spare mount
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:24 AM

I agree with @asesino .

I think for the best highway ride while still lifting the truck the Eibach Pro Truck Kit with the shocks at 0" (bottom ring setting) will result in the best possible ride and handling charcteristics. Yes the Eibach springs are a higher spring rate than stock but only marginally (25lbs or so IIRC) They are still pretty soft, especially once broken in. As stated above, you will feel more of the road but it's not harsh and the difference in control and reduced body roll is night and day. Alternatively you can order up a set of Fox or King 2.5 coilovers and have the springs and valving set up custom for your exact needs but it'll cost you well over $1800 and is overkill for most people. But if money is no object then buy once cry once as the saying goes.
asesino likes this.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - Eibach 2.7" Front Lift | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1.5" AutoSprings add-a-leaf + 1" rear lift blocks | DV8 887 17◊9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:27 AM

The ride on my truck improved greatly when i removed the spacer and went with the bilstien 5100ís at 2Ē setting. The physics with the bilstiens are better than with the spacer.
F8LZ71 and asesino like this.

2016 Colo Z71 4X4, CCLB Duramax Cyber Grey
2017 All Terrain Bobcat camper.
Air dam delete, Bilstien 5100's w/ 2" Front setting. Firestone Ride Rites.
Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus LT265 70 17. Hypertech Speedo Calibrator.
Stubby Jr 2" antenna. Weathertech floor liners, mudflaps, seat covers, and window deflectors. Camerasource back up camera for camper.
Lots of maps and dreams and climbing gear.
Orca 26L, Coleman Steel Belted 54L.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand foot maneuver View Post
The ride on my truck improved greatly when i removed the spacer and went with the bilstien 5100ís at 2Ē setting. The physics with the bilstiens are better than with the spacer.
Hey! Now I'm curious.. Did you just remove the OEM absorber and install this in it's place to get the 2" rise?
A little more info on this is greatly appreciated!

Suspension noob = me
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:46 AM

I initially had a 1.25Ē lift/level kit spacer installed to level the front. I changed to the bilstiens later, those have their own settings in place of the spacer, you dont use both together. The lift/level kit spacer is a fashion item, the bilstiens accomplish the leveling while retaining better function/physics and getting you better dampers.

If youre noobin on suspension, go to f8lís thread on how to lift your colorado. Itll answer 80%of your questions and prob bring up a couple. Its in this subforum.
asesino likes this.

Stubby Jr 2" antenna. Weathertech floor liners, mudflaps, seat covers, and window deflectors. Camerasource back up camera for camper.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Alright, you guys talked me out of the spacers, going the Eibach route. Going with just the shocks at 1.4", and will add springs later if I want to go a little taller. Thanks for everyone's input!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Either shock will be better than a lift/level spacer, eibach or bilstien

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Garage
Bilsteins on the top notch ride great on the highway. I just did 10 hours in one day and was comfortable the whole time.
F8LZ71 and hand foot maneuver like this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

Check out my YouTube Channel! - How To's & Product Reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode