Who designed this effing thing - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:56 PM

Just thinking ahead here, before I would do anything like cutting the bolt, I would have the new one in my hand first (it may be a specialty bolt & not just an ordinary one), because you don't want it to be on "National Back order" & find out after you cut it off !

Had a friend that did that about 15 yrs ago. He waited 5 months for the part & had to bum rides to work.
16WhiteColly and MV10 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:09 PM

Garage
I would say that they probably put the bolt in from the back, because the head end of the bolt is lower and gives more clearance than the screw end, and less likely to rub a hole in the fuel tank. If you go back with the stock bolt, I could see having to cut the screw end of just past the Nut for clearance.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019RedZR2 View Post
Just thinking ahead here, before I would do anything like cutting the bolt, I would have the new one in my hand first (it may be a specialty bolt & not just an ordinary one), because you don't want it to be on "National Back order" & find out after you cut it off !

Had a friend that did that about 15 yrs ago. He waited 5 months for the part & had to bum rides to work.
Ha! I had that happen on a 73 Benz 280SE I was slowly restoring. Front brake hardware was metric, rear was SAE.
In about 2002, a single front caliper bolt cost $35 plus airfreignt and took eight weeks to deliver from Germany.

2017 Colorado LT V6 CCSB 2WD • mfg date 11-16 • Belltech 999SP 3/4 drop • Raceline 927M Mamba HD 20x9 wheels • all LED lighting inside and out • DRL relocation harness • LineX • Lomax Tri-Fold aluminum tonneau • de-badged • bowtie blackout • painted pinch-weld & window trim • power tailgate lock • Pedal Commander • Katzkin leather • tint • Kicker amp/sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
If you own a diesel and you want to replace the left side rear shock you have to remove and lower the def tank to get access to the upper bolt..Ask me how I know......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveski65 View Post
yea not looking forward to this as i will be installing my fox 2.5 shocks in the next couple weeks
I did it by loosening the def tank but not removing it. It drops onto the spare. Do that and you can get the top left bolt out with some wiggling. There's a little indent at the top of the tank that seems to be there for that reason.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soco_canyon View Post
I did it by loosening the def tank but not removing it. It drops onto the spare. Do that and you can get the top left bolt out with some wiggling. There's a little indent at the top of the tank that seems to be there for that reason.
I'm aware of that. I should have used the word unfasten and not the word remove.....My bad..
lqdchkn likes this.

2018 Chevy Colorado, Z71, CCSB, Duramax, Kinetic Blue Metallic....
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
If you own a diesel and you want to replace the left side rear shock you have to remove and lower the def tank to get access to the upper bolt..Ask me how I know......
No you dont. I didnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveski65 View Post

yea not looking forward to this as i will be installing my fox 2.5 shocks in the next couple weeksyea not looking forward to this as i will be installing my fox 2.5 shocks in the next couple weeks
Think about it while youre under there and you might find another solution.

You will need to loosen it but it definitely doesnt need to come out.

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
No you dont. I didnt.
I did clarify my statement in the post above and if you managed to get the upper left shock bolt out without having to move the def tank a bit, then I sure would like to know how you did it.

2018 Chevy Colorado, Z71, CCSB, Duramax, Kinetic Blue Metallic....
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I did clarify my statement in the post above and if you managed to get the upper left shock bolt out without having to move the def tank a bit, then I sure would like to know how you did it.
I think I hit the reply before I got to page 2. But yes you are correct, movement is required removal is not

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
I think I hit the reply before I got to page 2. But yes you are correct, movement is required removal is not
like they say always more then one way to skin a cat.
i think its easy,,i looked under there..will just loosen and move enough to get out enough to pull out old shock and install new one
lqdchkn likes this.

2016 Gmc Canyon CCLB 2.8 Duramax quicksilver
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
You think that's bad, try doing spark plugs on a Subaru.
Doing spark plugs on a subaru is not bad at all, whether EA, EJ, EZ, FA, or FB.

2016 Colo Z71 4X4, CCLB Duramax Cyber Grey
2017 All Terrain Bobcat camper.
Air dam delete, Bilstien 5100's w/ 2" Front setting. Firestone Ride Rites.
Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus LT265 70 17. Hypertech Speedo Calibrator.
Stubby Jr 2" antenna. Weathertech floor liners, mudflaps, seat covers, and window deflectors. Camerasource back up camera for camper.
Lots of maps and dreams and climbing gear.
Orca 26L, Coleman Steel Belted 54L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode