Leaf Springs - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondupot View Post
I just got a quote from Deaver for a new progressive leaf pack (stock height) for $850.

Is it worth the upgrade?
It would be nice if they would do a group buy. Might offset the shipping costs for some of us. Iím in.

2017 Z71 4x4 CCSB Cyber Grey, Eibach stage1, Method grids, Nitto 265/70r17ís, Baja designs squadron pro fogs, FabFour rear bumper, misc. stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019RedZR2 View Post
I added a cap (175#) and a CG1000XL (225#) and it leveled it out. Still want to pull 3500# camper with tw of 350+#. I added the Hellwig helper springs today & it brought it back to stock height. Have not hooked up camper yet.

Great thread with lots of info!

I'm suffering from saggy de-arching springs with having my RTT/camping gear and many miles of off roading... I just ordered a set of the hellwig 500# helpers hoping the live up to their name and help with my light load.
F8LZ71 likes this.

Adventure Without Risk Is Disneyland.

Last edited by ~Lost~; 04-28-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by I DID IT View Post
I did the road master active suspension to my leaf springs.
It keeps them tourqed and ready for action.

https://activesuspension.com
This is a cool concept. Makes me wonder if you could run a softer leaf setup and if this would safely pick up the slack when loaded.

I guess the guy at Deaver was feeling grumpy or they don’t like emails, they havnt been easy to get a quote from.

Eaton Detroit spring has been easy to work with, answered all my questions. They seem more geared toward factory/work trucks vice the off-road/mall-crawl market. Still looking around not in a hurry. I intend to buy this one time and be done.

The local Chevy dealer said they didn’t see anything wrong, but the techs are not the best. Where I used to live would have seen it, no idea if they would have covered it under powertrain though. Probably not
F8LZ71 and zr2bayarea like this.

1986 Ford F250 4x4 6.9 diesel banks turbo (built motor)
1997 Ford Crown Victoria (recently retired dd of 19yrs)
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:34 AM

I would suggest lurking around the Tacoma, Raptor and Overland Bound forums and look for feedback on Deaver and other progressive leaf packs. It seems to be the only way to go if you are serious about making the rear end work right for your application and needs. Blocks, lift bags, AALs, "helper springs", etc are all bandaids of a sort. I say this based on everything I've read on various off-road forums and from understanding how the rear suspension works on our trucks. I'm still on blocks and AALs and they work but I WILL be upgrading to a custom progressive pack eventually.
~Lost~ and madcratebuilder like this.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - King 2.5 coilovers | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1" AutoSprings AAL | 1" rear lift blocks | RC 1.25" body lift | DV8 887 17◊9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | DV8 rear bumper | DV8 front bumper | Smittybilt X20 10k winch | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | DV8 + ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
Here’s a link to lurk in.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thre...deavers.58533/

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thre...springs.35034/
~Lost~ and F8LZ71 like this.

18 ZR2. Nav and so called premium sound only factory options.
Mallet supercharged. FlowmasterFX cat back exhaust. Iíd rather be a hammer, thEn a nail.
Delivered 6/11/18.

Last edited by 1STSFG; 03-31-2019 at 01:48 PM.
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:41 PM

Garage
I stumbled across this guys YouTube channel today while looking up some feedback on other brands of leaf springs out of curiosity. In this video, he swaps out the stock springs in his Colorado LT for some Atlas springs to go alongside his RC 6" lift kit. Initial results looked pretty promising, although in later videos, he explains why he's actually disappointed with Atlas overall. Just some food for thought as to why I think Deaver is the brand to go.

post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
Here is a pic of the spring. The truck sits 1/2 inch higher out back than front.

Question for you if a may, looking at your photo it looks like the stack and especially the excess u-bolts threads hang down below the axle to about even as the shock mounts.

Is that the case or just the angle of the photo?

I've gotten pretty good at picking the line that puts any rogue rocks to worry about when hauling on a two track between the shock mount and tire. Just wondering if going with the undersprung it would close that gap? With OEM size tires and no plans to change it this is something for me to consider.

Also, what Jounce Shock system do you have and any thoughts?

Thanks!

I will do it right and get custom springs eventually.... especially if there's a group buy discount!

post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019RedZR2 View Post
I added a cap (175#) and a CG1000XL (225#) and it leveled it out. Still want to pull 3500# camper with tw of 350+#. I added the Hellwig helper springs today & it brought it back to stock height. Have not hooked up camper yet.
Did you get the 1000# springs?

I can confirm that the 500# springs do not fit the ZR2 correctly, the retaining clips around the OEM springs is right where the helper wants to be bolted down.

So.... that means I can't put a bandaid on my truck springs to help with the load and /or de-arching.
Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise since the Hellwig order from amazon is easy to return.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8533.jpg (289.0 KB, 26 views)
F8LZ71 likes this.

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 PM

Lost-

If your pounding track at speed then itís no worries.

I can see it ďmaybeĒ and issue for the crazy crawlers and so far I havenít seen any Colorado/canyon guys that are crawling to a level where u bolts are grabbing rocks that they are sliding over etc.
~Lost~ likes this.

18 ZR2 CCSB. Bose & Nav.
Deepwood metallic

Mods:
-TB, afe Rebel exhaust, HPtuner
-Skid plates
-shock skids,
-BD squadron racer ditch lights, LP9's
-Forged Offroad bed dual spare tire, gear rack, rear bumper
bump kit with 2/2.5 Air Bumps,
-4.56 gears
-Evil Mfg rear brake light w/ squadron pro amber dust lights, UCA
701ís 35' RTís Fiberglass, LP9ís
-evil mfg Steering links
Deaver Spring under

https://www.instagram.com/redbeardfifty/
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:41 AM

I found some interesting info on 4wd Action video on the Tube. It may be basic information for some but for others who are new to truck suspension it could be helpful.

The part I found most useful was the section on leaf spring tuning based on loads and how to identify if your truck is over or under sprung. I had a look at my springs with the bed rack, traction boards, shovel and spare tire mounted but without the RTT and all of the heavy camping gear. It clearly looks and FEELS over sprung. I recently removed 150lbs of sandbags from the bed and that mad a significant difference in ride quality. The harshness is back and the truck wants to buck when going over sharp bumps. The Icons keep things under control but just barely. With the sandbags in place the ride smooths out and feels great. Especially when I run 200lbs worth. Keep in mind on my setup I am using the OEM leaf pack with an Autospring AAL which ups "capacity" by 750lbs and raises the rear 1.5" to 2".

This is with the truck sitting flat on the ground with about 200lbs worth of gear in the bed but no sand bags. I'll post updated photos later with the sandbags in place.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - King 2.5 coilovers | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1" AutoSprings AAL | 1" rear lift blocks | RC 1.25" body lift | DV8 887 17◊9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | DV8 rear bumper | DV8 front bumper | Smittybilt X20 10k winch | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | DV8 + ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:20 PM

More on Leaf Springs

Build Thread

Instagram
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:27 PM

The zr2 leaf is even worse. It runs a super soft top three leafs and then a hugely stiff overload.

One thing about their paper test to be aware of with gm leafs. Gm uses slippers/sound reducers between the leafs. This causes a pretty big gap.

So much that our springs can twist and come off the locator pin.

But regardless, itís hard to use the paper guide as shown on the video.

Everything else they say is spot on including the rear sway. I plan Iím making a blade bar for my rear when Iím done with the shock cage.
I took the front off, but think a rear would really help and not hurt flex as much as a front. Not to mention the load rate when geared up.
F8LZ71 likes this.

18 ZR2 CCSB. Bose & Nav.
Deepwood metallic

Mods:
-TB, afe Rebel exhaust, HPtuner
-Skid plates
-shock skids,
-BD squadron racer ditch lights, LP9's
-Forged Offroad bed dual spare tire, gear rack, rear bumper
bump kit with 2/2.5 Air Bumps,
-4.56 gears
-Evil Mfg rear brake light w/ squadron pro amber dust lights, UCA
701ís 35' RTís Fiberglass, LP9ís
-evil mfg Steering links
Deaver Spring under

https://www.instagram.com/redbeardfifty/
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
The zr2 leaf is even worse. It runs a super soft top three leafs and then a hugely stiff overload.

One thing about their paper test to be aware of with gm leafs. Gm uses slippers/sound reducers between the leafs. This causes a pretty big gap.

So much that our springs can twist and come off the locator pin.

But regardless, itís hard to use the paper guide as shown on the video.

Everything else they say is spot on including the rear sway. I plan Iím making a blade bar for my rear when Iím done with the shock cage.
I took the front off, but think a rear would really help and not hurt flex as much as a front. Not to mention the load rate when geared up.
Agreed! I noticed that the gaps between the springs seen in my photos above are much smaller when the truck is loaded, if I remember correctly. Yet there are still gaps because of the noise caps on the ends of the leaves but the general idea is sound like you said.

Build Thread

Instagram
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth13777 View Post
This is a cool concept. Makes me wonder if you could run a softer leaf setup and if this would safely pick up the slack when loaded.

I guess the guy at Deaver was feeling grumpy or they don’t like emails, they havnt been easy to get a quote from.

Eaton Detroit spring has been easy to work with, answered all my questions. They seem more geared toward factory/work trucks vice the off-road/mall-crawl market. Still looking around not in a hurry. I intend to buy this one time and be done.

The local Chevy dealer said they didn’t see anything wrong, but the techs are not the best. Where I used to live would have seen it, no idea if they would have covered it under powertrain though. Probably not
Bingo you nailed it Deaver sucks to deal with. I get they are an old school shop (I keep hearing this excuse from everyone) but email is not something recently invented. Hell, even calling them and actually talking to someone on the phone is a pretty damn challenging, always some excuse why they didn't call you back or take your call. I am glad some of you actually had success with Deaver I commend you. With that said, I did reach out to Alcan Springs in Colorado they were actually pretty cool and easy to deal with.

BUUUUUUUUT ARB just announced rear leaf spring setups for our trucks I received the below info from a vendor. I am done dealing with small companies and their shenanigans I don't have time for that BS. ARB tests and stands behind their products, enough said.

ARB/Old Man Emu just announced some leaf springs for our trucks to be released in June.

Different Levels:
Medium Loads - 0-GVM optimal performance of loads 0-660lb
Heavy Loads - 660-GVM optimal loads of 660 plus
Optional XL (extra leaf) - Developed to cater to expedition vehicle setups that are under a constant heavy load

"Consideration was taken for fitment of these aftermarket leaf springs as the front eye leaf spring bolt requires removal of the fuel tank. To make fitment easier a leaf spring bolt kit (FK91) is included in the selection guide. It is far quicker to cut off the original bolt and fit FK91 rather than removing the fuel tank."
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScorpion View Post
I stumbled across this guys YouTube channel today while looking up some feedback on other brands of leaf springs out of curiosity. In this video, he swaps out the stock springs in his Colorado LT for some Atlas springs to go alongside his RC 6" lift kit. Initial results looked pretty promising, although in later videos, he explains why he's actually disappointed with Atlas overall. Just some food for thought as to why I think Deaver is the brand to go.
Yeah this guy cracks me up although I didn't see the other video of him being disappointed with the Atlas setup, good to know. I give him major props for creating good content though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode