Harsh ride on Canyon Denali - What options are there? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Harsh ride on Canyon Denali - What options are there?

Picked up my Ď18 Canyon Denali last August. Itís been a fine truck overall. My two chief complaints are the transmission that is not responsive and always wants to be in a high gear for fuel economy, and the suspension can seem to rough. Especially in the winter on the rough NorthEast roads.

When I was test driving I though the Colorado with the Z71 suspension road great, and was softer than the Denali. Does anyone know the differences between the two trucks? Iím curious what options I might have available to me, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottaw View Post
Picked up my Ď18 Canyon Denali last August. Itís been a fine truck overall. My two chief complaints are the transmission that is not responsive and always wants to be in a high gear for fuel economy, and the suspension can seem to rough. Especially in the winter on the rough NorthEast roads.

When I was test driving I though the Colorado with the Z71 suspension road great, and was softer than the Denali. Does anyone know the differences between the two trucks? Iím curious what options I might have available to me, thanks!
Hmmm..
I donít have a responsive issue with the eight speed.
As far as suspension, I drove both in the North East before buying a Z71, and thought the ride of both vehicles was virtually identical. Check your tire pressure, as if there is too much air you will have a rougher ride. Remember, it is still a truck, but one of the most compliant in the segment.

Last edited by American Truck; 03-01-2019 at 06:49 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:00 AM

Colder weather a bit stiffer suspension. Are you driving with the 4x4 on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 AM

Low profile tires are the main cause. My SLT rides the same way. The SLE I test drove was softer. The ride will improve a bit after winter.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
Low profile tires are the main cause. My SLT rides the same way. The SLE I test drove was softer. The ride will improve a bit after winter.
This....

It's your low profile tires. You can opt for a slightly taller tire to add more sidewall or sell your wheels/tires and buy a 17" wheel/tire combo. Handling will suffer a little but comfort will be better.

The cold temps are not helping either. Below 45F all-season tires stiffen up and become less compliant. Traction is reduced and the ride becomes harsher. Next time you purchase tires look for ones with the 3-peak severe snow rating.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - King 2.5 coilovers | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1" AutoSprings AAL | 1" rear lift blocks | RC 1.25" body lift | DV8 887 17◊9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | DV8 rear bumper | DV8 front bumper | Smittybilt X20 10k winch | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | DV8 + ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:43 AM
TBK

I had the same issue with my Denali. Specifically on highway expansion joints. Ditched the low profile tires and upgraded the suspension to Kings. Itís a lot better now but weight helps. Unloaded itís still a bit unsettled for my taste. Loaded itís great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:21 AM

Of course the trade off is handling. I certainly can't complain about that. It's amazing for a truck. It might even help the fuel economy too. Best of all is a good increase in stability while towing. I would buy an SLT again or a Denali.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:00 AM

Like stated the tire wheel size. You can change it and it will improve some.

I had read the Denali also had specific shocks and struts but never confirmed this by checking the numbers.

To me it rides fine as my last two rides were cars with 18 inch 50 and 55 series tires so the Densli was a smoother ride for me.

You will get more side wall roll on the 17Ē but you will get use to it.

No change in MPG. I already get the same or better mpg than most other 17Ē trucks. So I expect you will remain the same.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottaw View Post
The Z71 has the same suspension as the Denali.
hitchman19 likes this.

2018 GMC Canyon SLE Nightfall Edition 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box
GM 5" Black steps | Bakflip G2 Tonneau | Backrack w/ Tonneau Mount | GM Tow Package & Brake Controller | Air Dam Delete | GM Skid Plates | 15% Llumar front tint + 5% windshield visor | Rally Armor UR+ mud flaps | Weathertech window visors | Custom 1" antenna | Uniden R1 Radar Detector | Front and Rear Aukey dashcams | X-Bull Recovery Tracks | Rhino Shackle Hitch | 3000k LED fogs | GM Floor Liners | Bull Rings | Hikari Ultra lowbeams
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:10 PM

Don't have a Denali, got a Colorado Lt, where I'm guessing the suspensions are basically the same? And I know I'm not too crazy about the ride over patchy, bumpy roads either, smooth highway no complaints. To be honest it doesn't ride much better than my 2,000 Ranger that had 250.000 miles over the same bumpy, tar patchy roads. And my concern is what it's going to ride like after 100,000 or so? I just feel with fuel economy being a priority nowadays many parts are lighter and thinner, which don't absorb road shock as well, and translates through the vehicle for a rougher ride, just my opinion. My Brother in law even says the same with his full size Chevy as compared to his older full size.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan28 View Post
Don't have a Denali, got a Colorado Lt, where I'm guessing the suspensions are basically the same? And I know I'm not too crazy about the ride over patchy, bumpy roads either, smooth highway no complaints. To be honest it doesn't ride much better than my 2,000 Ranger that had 250.000 miles over the same bumpy, tar patchy roads. And my concern is what it's going to ride like after 100,000 or so? I just feel with fuel economy being a priority nowadays many parts are lighter and thinner, which don't absorb road shock as well, and translates through the vehicle for a rougher ride, just my opinion. My Brother in law even says the same with his full size Chevy as compared to his older full size.
I think it has more to do with the increased payload and towing compared to those older trucks.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - King 2.5 coilovers | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1" AutoSprings AAL | 1" rear lift blocks | RC 1.25" body lift | DV8 887 17◊9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | DV8 rear bumper | DV8 front bumper | Smittybilt X20 10k winch | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | DV8 + ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:44 PM

Actually I find the ride in today's truck much better as well as the handling. Exspecially the 4x4 models.

As for the future these trucks are not really that light. They are nearly the same as full size truck weights in the past and now we have fully boxed frames. Even the cab shell is a very stiff structure with todayís computer designs.

For example the cab is stiff enough for the ZR2 rock bars or the step and nerf bars.

My S10 and Sonoma did have some chassis flex my 2017 crew is pretty stout in comparison..
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:41 PM

I have an 18 Denali and live in PA. It's cold here too, I changed my tires back in the fall and went to a bigger tire 275/55-20 Nitto Terra Grapler G2. I changed them because the Bridgestones are not a good winter tire, they are fine in the summer but not the winter because the are some what of a high mileage tire and the compound it a bit harder.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:31 PM

I would put about 3-400lbs in the bed secured so it does not slide around. That will help the ride. When it warms up, loose a little of it.

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:04 PM

Garage
are you running any lift for level kit with those 275/55r20.... any rubbing?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by campermac View Post
I have an 18 Denali and live in PA. It's cold here too, I changed my tires back in the fall and went to a bigger tire 275/55-20 Nitto Terra Grapler G2. I changed them because the Bridgestones are not a good winter tire, they are fine in the summer but not the winter because the are some what of a high mileage tire and the compound it a bit harder.
Do you have a lift or any spacers with that size of tire? any rubbing?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:24 PM

I have the RC 2" leveling kit on it. Well it's more like I have the RC 2" kit on the drivers side and 1-1/2" of the kit on the passenger side to offset the lean.

I have the a slight rub at full lock of the front wheels and I mean very slight and that is because I have the Weathertech mud flaps on the truck because I have the Colorado Fender Flares on it and the Weathertech flaps are molded to fit the flares.
hitchman19 likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8LZ71 View Post
I think it has more to do with the increased payload and towing compared to those older trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
Actually I find the ride in today's truck much better as well as the handling. Exspecially the 4x4 models.

As for the future these trucks are not really that light. They are nearly the same as full size truck weights in the past and now we have fully boxed frames. Even the cab shell is a very stiff structure with todayís computer designs.

For example the cab is stiff enough for the ZR2 rock bars or the step and nerf bars.

My S10 and Sonoma did have some chassis flex my 2017 crew is pretty stout in comparison..
I would think the larger size of these trucks (length, width) would make them ride better than the old S10/Sonoma trucks and even the 1st Gen Colorado/Canyons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
Of course the trade off is handling. I certainly can't complain about that. It's amazing for a truck. It might even help the fuel economy too. Best of all is a good increase in stability while towing. I would buy an SLT again or a Denali.
I hadn't thought about the improvement in stability while towing.

I actually am strongly considering a Colorado Z71/LT or Canyon All Terrain for a replacement in another 3-4 years because I want to get away from the 18" wheels for the ride and for the cost of tires. Less rubber with the 18" wheels but higher price. Why? (Cuz they can.)

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
I would put about 3-400lbs in the bed secured so it does not slide around. That will help the ride. When it warms up, loose a little of it.
I used to buy a few hundred lbs. of bulk/loose sand from a landscaping supply place. If you (or the numbskull with bald tires in front of you) gets stuck, you could shovel some sand in front of the tires for traction. It doesn't cost much, the weight helps, and snow melt or water can drain through it. Then in the spring, I dumped it into the kids sandbox...

2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain CCSB 2.8L Duramax Dark Sky Metallic, Boost Auto Parts Towing Mirrors, Rough Country Render Flares, Lund Genesis Elite Tri-fold Soft Tonneau Cover
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:03 PM
JMB

Garage
The biggest difference in these trucks vs. the old ones is definitely the increase in towing capacity. Throw that on a short bed with short sidewalls and it continues to compound upon itself. I was surprised at the difference in ride between the CCLB and CCSB, it made the choice for the bigger bed that much easier.
F8LZ71 likes this.

2018 Kinetic Blue CCLB Z71
1994 Laguna Blue Miata
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode