Peak Suspension ZR2 DSSV Coilover Conversion Discussion - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Peak Suspension ZR2 DSSV Coilover Conversion Discussion

If you're not following them on social media, Peak Suspension has been teasing the release of their new ZR2 coilover conversion kit. From what I've read, it's essentially a conversion kit that installs a threaded body onto the factory Multimatic DSSV shock bodies, allowing for an adjustable spring perch/collar to be installed. This pretty much makes it an adjustable coilover. Supposedly, it's only designed for Eibach ERS springs in the spring rate of your choice, which are included in the kit. So all-in-all, according to the website, the kit allows you to 1) Choose a desired spring rate based on your needs, and 2) adjust to between 0-2.25 inches of lift.

What do you all think of it? Seems like a pretty interesting route to take to gain lift versus the other existing options on the market (leveling spacer, leveling springs). My biggest concern, though, is that I don't see how it addresses the issues that a leveling kit/springs already face.
  1. Won't the UCA ball joint still be the limiting factor at full droop? From what I've been reading, a 1-1.25" leveling spacer pretty much maxes out the capabilities of the factory UCA, hence why GM recommends their new, soon-to-be released high-angle UCA be paired with their also soon-to-be released leveling kit. I guess the CVs are also a potential limiting factor past 1" also, since they're close to being maxed out too.
  2. Doesn't this still ultimately affect the "position sensitive" nature of the DSSVs? In order to gain the additional ride height they're advertising, you crank on the spring perch to preload the springs. In conventional shocks, we'd gain some compression travel in exchange for losing some rebound travel when doing this, but that was a simple compromise. Since the DSSVs are esentially internal bypass shocks, won't the added preload shift the shock's piston closer to the rebound zone of the DSSV during normal rebound? Meaning, won't the shock be more likely to ride firmer/rougher since it basically thinks there's more rebound occurring than what actually is while driving down normal roads?

Feel free to correct/answer me, just trying to understand the mechanics behind it all. To me, it seems like it gains some ride height to fit 33's and gives us nice spring rate options for those with added gear up front, but it doesn't really do much for us in terms of actual articulation, and actually may sacrifice ride comfort. Pairing it with a higher articulation UCA, though, would probably address issue #1, and maybe the shift in piston position isn't really a big deal? At the end of the day, I'm just excited that new parts are being developed and released for the ZR2!

Last edited by DarkScorpion; 02-17-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:38 AM

Garage
Would be nice to have a few others as test mules. *hint*hint*cough*cough*
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 AM

Garage
......all lift questions, will roll into axle issue questions. I think there is enough out there and understanding with the zr2 that if you play hard and lift it without upgrading axles you will find a weakness there.
madcratebuilder likes this.

18 ZR2. Nav and so called premium sound only factory options.
Mallet supercharged. FlowmasterFX cat back exhaust. Iíd rather be a hammer, thEn a nail.
Delivered 6/11/18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 01:20 PM

The cost of this conversion is whatís got me very intrigued. Allows for lift, spring rate changes, and keeps the fancy mechanics of the DSSVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:08 PM

I installed the leveling springs and the ride is actually much better than stock. This was very surprising to me as well. I like the leveling springs and the main reason I installed them is because I plan on adding a bumper and winch to the mix in the near future. With that said I am interested to see how Peak's new coilover conversion will work in the long run. The only real feedback Ive seen is just by those who are testing these for Peak, so real world feedback is currently unavailable.

IMG_4535
DarkScorpion likes this.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2bayarea View Post
I installed the leveling springs and the ride is actually much better than stock. This was very surprising to me as well. I like the leveling springs and the main reason I installed them is because I plan on adding a bumper and winch to the mix in the near future. With that said I am interested to see how Peak's new coilover conversion will work in the long run. The only real feedback Ive seen is just by those who are testing these for Peak, so real world feedback is currently unavailable.

IMG_4535
What size and make are those tires? They look like Wildpeak AT3W's.

2018 Chevy Colorado, Z71, CCSB, Duramax, Kinetic Blue Metallic....
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Good to hear you like the leveling springs! They alter the DSSVs the same way the sleeves will, so if you've had good results with the shocks being a bit more extended, I think most people will be happy with their results. I'm curious if they'll pair well with the new GMP UCAs and the bump stops. Seems like that combo would be the best way to squeeze every last bit of capability from the factory DSSVs before moving on to the new re-valvable DSSVs or kings/fox/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
You're correct, he's running 265/70r17 AT3Ws wrapped around VTX Rogue wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarth09 View Post
The cost of this conversion is whatís got me very intrigued. Allows for lift, spring rate changes, and keeps the fancy mechanics of the DSSVs.
Agreed. The Eibach springs themselves are normally what, around $100 a pop? So for $400 pre-order, we're basically paying $100 for each sleeve and mounting hardware. I think that's a very fair price.
zr2bayarea likes this.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:38 AM

I am only concerned with how these are going to affect the DSSV position sensing bits. Would love to see Peak Suspension comment on it on their page, but there hasn't been much in terms of feedback from their testers.
lqdchkn and madcratebuilder like this.

Last edited by jbarth09; 02-20-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
They are 265/70r17 but E-rated so they come in right at 32". The non E-rated are slightly smaller. I just took a better pic yesterday with my newer camera so you can see the setup a bit clearer.

DSC05134
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
Keep in mind that the shocks are passive not active, so they are a bypass shock essentially. If you are keeping the lift around 1-1.25" you should still be within the normal ride height valving parameters. The Chevy Performance DSSV's have an adjustable collar on them which goes to show that the position sensitive portion is not as important as we once thought. Trying to keep droop travel at an acceptable amount while lifting the truck is the name of the game. I believe that this path is in the right direction for properly raising the truck without screwing up the compression limits. We also have travel limits of most of the ball joints and axles on the stock suspension, so maximizing travel without replacing most of those parts is going to lead to snapped axles and broken ball joints. There are some guys on here looking to source new more "flexible" CV's to help with those travel numbers.

I used collars almost identical to these (would not be surprised if they came from the same place) on a set of Bilsteins. They worked great. Other suspension companies for Toyota (Toytec) and Nissan (Nisstec) use these things all the time. I would not be worried about running something like this at all on my truck.

See my Nissan pics below:

20170908_133625 by Christopher Smiley, on Flickr

received_1284456724977855 by Christopher Smiley, on Flickr

received_1281837811906413 by Christopher Smiley, on Flickr
DarkScorpion and zr2bayarea like this.

Transplanted Rocky Mountain Dirt Farmer
2018 ZR2 Diesel, Graphite Metallic

Saying it will be boring now...
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 PM

@Smiley That is really great information. I have been reading here and there that anything under 1.25" you are in somewhat of a "safe zone" . The strange thing about the one being offered on the DSSV is that its stated to go up to 2.25" which had me scratching my head a bit on how this would affect the suspension as a whole as well as axle angles.

I plan on just staying with my leveling springs for now until all the kinks are worked out with this type of setup. Its just great some options are being made available for the front suspension now would love to have some rear suspension support out there besides Deaver. From what I hear it's in the works from Peak.
Smiley likes this.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScorpion View Post
Agreed. The Eibach springs themselves are normally what, around $100 a pop? So for $400 pre-order, we're basically paying $100 for each sleeve and mounting hardware. I think that's a very fair price.

I would agree on the price. If I could do this with a set of new upper control arms. I think this would be a great performer.

I did have some messages back and forth with Peak. They explained that the position sensing bits of the DSSVs are really at the top ~10% and bottom ~10% of the shock travel. (Please forgive my ignorance on the DSSVs, Iím not 100% educated on them but have read about them a bit)

Which could mean that we can lift without to much worry? Aside from other lift issues like CV angles and limitations in the Control Arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
They are 265/70r17 but E-rated so they come in right at 32". The non E-rated are slightly smaller. I just took a better pic yesterday with my newer camera so you can see the setup a bit clearer.

DSC05134
They sure looked a lot larger than 265/70's but now with the larger photo it's much easier to see. Thanks for the reply.
jbarth09 and Christopher Betz like this.

2018 Chevy Colorado, Z71, CCSB, Duramax, Kinetic Blue Metallic....
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:43 AM

I ordered this conversion setup, I'll post some pictures if and when it arrives in mid April.
chrisbriana likes this.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFordFanboy View Post
I ordered this conversion setup, I'll post some pictures if and when it arrives in mid April.
Yup, as did I. Plan on pairing them with the GMPP high angle UCA's to reclaim some droop travel. Considering the new axles too, but I don't want to be an early adopter for such an expensive part.
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:19 AM

Dark

I don't think there's a need to install the GMPP high angle UCA's with this setup. This setup doesn't change or affect the OEM travel (max compression or max droop points), you will stay within the OEM range which is limited by the stops set by the factory on your suspension. All your doing with this setup is loading up the spring which in turn moves/pushes the spindle down within the OEM travel range. For example: lets say the max travel is eight (8") inches and factory setting places the spindle right in the middle of that travel range. That would place the spindle right at the 4" mark on a 8" max range. This allows 4" of droop and 4" compression. from that factory setting but you still have 8" total travel. With the Peak conversion all you're doing is moving the spindle to the 3" mark within that 8" max range. I hope that makes sense and I didn't confuse folks more than usual.

I don't like leaving kits that add spacer because you need to install bump stops and every inch of spacer you add is one less inch of total travel. To regain your full travel you have to work on you droop stops on the frame, which I think requires some careful grinding or cutting. Once you get into grinding/cutting and changing where your max compression or droop points are. Your are now changing the geometry of you stock suspension and having a need for high angle UCA's. and other components (CVJ).
DarkScorpion and 1STSFG like this.
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:26 PM

Has anyone heard or know if Peak Suspension is on track to ship the coil over kit tomorrow?
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFordFanboy View Post
Has anyone heard or know if Peak Suspension is on track to ship the coil over kit tomorrow?
I asked 2 weeks ago, when they posted it on IG. They replied "we are good", so I'm hoping to hear something tomorrow.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:08 PM

I texted with nick earlier this week. he said they should ship this week. I'm not in a rush because I have no solution for the rear. What is everyone else going to do? Block lift or add a leaf or something else?

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 - Midnight Edition
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige - Daytona Grey
2018 Ford Raptor - Shadow Black, Xpel Stealth
2011 Porsche Turbo S Cab - Carrara White
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
I texted with nick earlier this week. he said they should ship this week. I'm not in a rush because I have no solution for the rear. What is everyone else going to do? Block lift or add a leaf or something else?
Only doing a moderate lift up front, so keeping the rear stock.
Mr Kram likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode