Rear suspension, blocks, Add-a-Leaf - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Savingpvtpyle
  • 2 Post By Crawler
  • 1 Post By F8LZ71

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Question Rear suspension, blocks, Add-a-Leaf

I am looking for clarification on adding rear blocks and/or a leaf spring. Rear shocks designed to work with a lift do not provide the lift on their own. They require a block or added leaf spring. So can you add a block or leaf with the stock shocks?

Does anyone have any recommendation on Eibach Pro-Truck rear shocks? I'm looking at putting the RHA Eibach in the front and trying to decide on the rear. I'm also looking at adding the Auto Springs Add a Leaf to the rear. These say 1"-1.5". Is that an option (to do 1 or 1.5) or just variability. The Eibach rear shocks say up to 1". Are they compatible with the add a leaf? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.allou View Post
I am looking for clarification on adding rear blocks and/or a leaf spring. Rear shocks designed to work with a lift do not provide the lift on their own. They require a block or added leaf spring. So can you add a block or leaf with the stock shocks?

Does anyone have any recommendation on Eibach Pro-Truck rear shocks? I'm looking at putting the RHA Eibach in the front and trying to decide on the rear. I'm also looking at adding the Auto Springs Add a Leaf to the rear. These say 1"-1.5". Is that an option (to do 1 or 1.5) or just variability. The Eibach rear shocks say up to 1". Are they compatible with the add a leaf? Thanks.
I ran a 1" rear block on stock shocks for a long time. It was quite bumpy back there. Railroad tracks sucked as the rear would bounce around and kick out quite often. Switched to the eibach shock and it helped with control quite a bit, and then eventually switched to a add a leaf and help a bit more. In all the combinations I've done so far on mine, the eibach setup up front with their strut and spring on second notch goes well with a 1" rear block to be pretty level. If you go to the third, go with an add a leaf out back.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
F8LZ71 and 16WhiteColly like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:

as per eibach....they dont formally say it, but email them and they will say their shocks have been used successfully with 2 inch blocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. That’s all helpful. Does anyone know if there’d be a noticeable difference going with the Fox 2.0 Performance Shock over the Eibachs? They’re a little more expensive so trying to decide if they are worth it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That’s all helpful. Does anyone know if there’d be a noticeable difference going with the Fox 2.0 Performance Shock over the Eibachs? They’re a little more expensive so trying to decide if they are worth it.
Check with @F8LZ71. I believe he has the ICON rears for 0-2” mixed with an eibach front setup.

He could probably give some good information on what you’re looking for.

He’s really good about researching his purchases and could probably shed some light on his choice.
F8LZ71 and 16WhiteColly like this.

2018 CCSB Z71 4wd-AutoSprings 2.5,AAL,DifDrop,Links,255/75/17BFG Mud

2015 CCSB 2500 Duramax Z71 4wd

95 1500 Dodge Cummins conversion-Back halved,4Link,Caged-Build by EIKON Diesel
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:52 PM

I wasn't sure if the Eibachs could handle a 2"+ rear lift so I went with Icons because they are rated for 0-2". The Fox are listed as 0-1" unless you get the Silverado shocks which are longer.

The Fox 2.0s measure 15.05" X 23.15"

If you can find the compressed and extended lengths for Icon and Eibach you can make an informed decision. :)

I do know the Icons easily handle a 1" block and Autospring AAL.

Here are the oem shocks compared to Icons at full extension.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - Eibach 2.7" Front Lift | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1.5" AutoSprings add-a-leaf + 1" rear lift blocks | DV8 887 17×9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

I found these part numbers for the GM rear lift blocks in another thread, but now I can't find that thread. Can anyone confirm that these are the correct parts for a 1" block?

Spacer-15885530
Bolt-11569811

I think these are the parts they listed for 1", but the GM parts doesn't list the height since it not really made for the Colorado/Canyon. Can the stock nuts be reused with this setup?

Thanks
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 AM

I installed the AALs and Icon shocks. I installed the shocks a few weeks before I installed the AAL. I experienced an interesting phenomenon I think I am able to explain. AALs alone should stiffen the ride a bit over stock, vs using blocks. You are increasing the spring rate to achieve the lift, which is also why they claim increased payload(can't confirm this because other factors may be the limiting piece, axles, tires,etc).
I installed the SHOCKS and experienced a much stiffer ride. I was pretty unhappy. I then added the AALs and the ride softened a bit. I think the Icon shocks are overdamped for the stock spring rate, so they were dominating the system. Shocks are designed to bring the system back to equilibrium, springs are designed to absorb impacts. The springs were dominated by the shocks and unable to absorb much impact. After I added the AALs the ride softened up a bit (still presumably stiffer than stock), because by increasing the spring rate, the springs became the dominant in the system, and damping was slightly underdamped(ideal).

TLDR: AALs will ride slightly stiffer than stock, but Theoretically increase payload. Icon shocks are overdamped with stock leaf springs, Add a leafs help bring the system back into equilibrium. I probably would avoid Icons with just blocks.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM

Garage
I have installed the Eibach stage one kit and the AAL. The front are at the 2.7 inch to level the truck with the springs to add the additional 1 inch and the AAL added the 1 inch in the rear. The ride is great. The truck does not bounce around at all.

One thing to be aware of on the AAL, I unintentionally installed one backwards which caused it to ride on the band clamp of the spring pack and cause a noise every time I hit a bump or even got in and out of the truck. Rookie mistake that I should not have made, but it was the last thing going in and I was too excited and wanted to take it for a ride.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:17 PM

I have a quick question. How do you like the shocks that came with that kit?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8LZ71 View Post
you get the Silverado shocks which are longer.
Do you know if I can use stock Silverado shocks on the rear with a 1" block? What year Silverado?

THANKS!

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6 LT
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:11 PM

Garage
@F8LZ71

Quote:
Originally Posted by White016 View Post
Do you know if I can use stock Silverado shocks on the rear with a 1" block? What year Silverado?

THANKS!
Never mind, answered my own question. Rock auto has OEM specs listed on their shocks.

2016 Silverado is 1.51" longer compressed, 2.26" longer open.

Should be a good choice, just a little worried about the extra extension from now with the block but should be ok.

Last edited by White016; 02-23-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White016 View Post
@F8LZ71

Never mind, answered my own question. Rock auto has OEM specs listed on their shocks.

2016 Silverado is 1.51" longer compressed, 2.26" longer open.

Should be a good choice, just a little worried about the extra extension from now with the block but should be ok.
Keep in mind the Silverado shocks are likely valved for a higher weight which could make them ride stiffer on our trucks if our rear ends and wheel/tires are significantly lighter.
White016 likes this.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - Eibach 2.7" Front Lift | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1.5" AutoSprings add-a-leaf + 1" rear lift blocks | DV8 887 17×9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:53 AM

1.5” longer compressed sounds like the shock will bottom out before the rear hits the bump. Is that right?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicul15 View Post
1.5” longer compressed sounds like the shock will bottom out before the rear hits the bump. Is that right?
maybe, but I have a 1" block so that makes it only .5" longer in a sense.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 PM

Yeah it might be worth looking into. If the bump isn’t contacting it doesn’t matter if it’s 0.5” or 2”. You’re gonna break something. And I will say with only 150lbs in the bed it uses the bumps often!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode