• 2 Post By EdFlecko
  • 1 Post By Chevnut9
  • 1 Post By DFlorida
  • 2 Post By 16WhiteColly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Do you have black oil?

Ive been hesitating posting this question.
I either feel its a dumb question, or I'm afraid of the answer.
Anyway here it goes..

For the 2017 and up 3.6 LGZ engines only, ONLY!,
Is your used oil totally black, or amber , or somewhere in between?
If you do have relatively clear oil, what oil and filter is used?

I ask this because I thought the newer engines were cleaner and the oils came out cleaner.
But I have had black-as-coal oil since change one. Even when I was doing 500 mile break in changes.
The Blackstone oil reports have been stellar so far, even though I don't use ultra high filtration sub-micron filters.
I use Mobil1 full syn Dexos1 5w-30 and K&N filters. Is the K&N not filtering out the blackness? I wouldn't expect it to. Its high flow, not high filtration. A trade-off Im willing to take.

I have a lot of paranoia riding on this so please be honest!
The blackness probably isn't doing any harm at all so i don't know what Im worried about. Unless the PCV isn't working.
Gawd knows Ive mucked around with it enuf.

Thanks

All gave some, some gave all, protesters gave nothing.
11/17 Colorado 12T43 4X4 Z71 3.6 LGZ CCLB Deepwood green Pedal Commander (City-2) AMP Power Boards Weather Tech mud flaps GM Elastomeric floor liners Hellwig 7745 Sway Bar Mobil1 LV ATF-HP Transmission Drain Plug Currie CE9027 Gorilla Wheel locks
Please don't use PhotoBucket, You're wasting your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:11 AM

i dont have black oil,is your k&n filter accordable with synthetic oil ?
Iamscotticus likes this.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:50 AM

Dark oil color in itself isn't actually a problem.
https://blog.amsoil.com/why-does-motor-oil-turn-black/

You said so yourself; the blackstone reports are coming back stellar. Why don't you trust the 3rd-party professionals with the science lab who know lubricants?

2018 ZR2 satin steel metallic
1999 Mazda Miata

Slower than a herd of turtles in peanut butter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:20 AM

Even 5 mc filters want filter out the black & any filter will work with Synthetic oil , If the oil is turning black in a newer Gas engine within 1000 mi which has no sludge build-up the oil is turning black because of Heat , My oil even after 2000miles in my 2006 I5 is not Black , here a video where he heats New Oil watch it almost turn Black look at temps Heating the oil is at 6:06
Iamscotticus likes this.

Last edited by DFlorida; 04-14-2019 at 01:28 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:30 AM

Garage
......4800 miles on the oil......still looks light amber to me......
ti-claude31 and Iamscotticus like this.

2018 Canyon Denali Metallic Red
K&N Air
Diode Dynamics SL1, Brake, 3rd Brake
Bakflip MX4 Tonneau
Amp Research Bed Extender
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 AM

Garage
I found this.....

Vishwadeep Pal, Mechanical Er || Photoshop addict || Proud MSD fan
Answered Jun 6 2017 · Author has 141 answers and 172.8k answer views

First, color doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Oil can be very, very dark (black even) and still be effective. However, as a general rule:
  • New, clean oil is amber in color
  • As engine oil gets darker, it can indicate a) high heat, b) contaminants, or c) the presence of additives that cause the oil to darken during normal use.
Therefore, the best way to determine what color your oil should be is to observe how your oil changes color over time. Just pull the dipstick every few days, make a mental note, and at some point you’ll learn to “read” your engine’s oil by color, i.e. you may find that your oil starts to look dark brown after 3,000 miles, and very dark brown after 5,000. If your oil is supposed to be changed every 5,000 miles, than you know that “very dark brown” likely means it’s time.
Of course, if you change oil brands or types, all bets are off. Weather can effect color too (to a lesser degree), so diagnosing oil by color is never going to be an exact science.

Some engine oil colors indicate problems:
  • Milky, foamy, and/or cream-colored oil can be indicative of a head gasket leak, especially if you’re seeing white smoke in your exhaust and your vehicle is losing coolant.
  • Thick AND dark oil usually indicates dirt or contaminants. If you’ve gone off-road and exposed your engine to a lot of dust (for example), your thick and dark oil probably means it’s time for an oil change.
  • Oil with a creamy, frothy texture can also indicate water contamination, so if you are NOT seeing white smoke and low coolant levels (or contaminated coolant) in your vehicle, than water would be the next likely source of contamination.
  • Oil color won’t generally be effected by gasoline contamination, but oil smell will change quite a bit, as the oil will smell much like gasoline. Therefore, you don’t need to look at the oil to check for fuel contaminants, you need to smell it.
Iamscotticus and Dmross11 like this.

2019 ZR2 Dusk Edition
2003 LS1 Corvette
1971 Monte Carlo SS454
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamscotticus View Post
I use Mobil1 full syn Dexos1 5w-30 and K&N filters. Is the K&N not filtering out the blackness? I wouldn't expect it to. Its high flow, not high filtration. A trade-off Im willing to take.
You should join BITOG - https://www.bobistheoilguy.com, if you're not already a member. Oil, oil filters, flow rates, etc. are discussed ad nauseam.

Suffice it to say that you will never push the flow limits of any of the modern oil filters, but some have much better filtration than K&N.

Just a suggestion.

Ed
16WhiteColly and Iamscotticus like this.

K-9's love to teach suspects that if you run...you'll only be arrested tired!

Support YOUR local law enforcement K-9 Unit!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:51 PM

The use of non leaded gas is causing oil to turn blackish, checkyour tailpipe the cold is different now then we had leaded fuel! Don’t worry your oil is fine.
Iamscotticus likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevnut9 View Post
The use of non leaded gas is causing oil to turn blackish, checkyour tailpipe the cold is different now then we had leaded fuel! Don’t worry your oil is fine.
If that was true we all would have BLACK Oil ! My Oil is NOT Black . IS Your oil black ?

Here my oil now with 3202.34mi on it Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic & all i use is Unleaded Gas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2090.JPG (58.7 KB, 25 views)
Iamscotticus likes this.

Last edited by DFlorida; 04-14-2019 at 06:50 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
Scott, why have you decided to use K&N filters over AC Delco? Just wondering. Have the AC Delco filters proven to be a problem?
Toughsox and Iamscotticus like this.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlorida View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevnut9 View Post
If that was true we all would have BLACK Oil ! My Oil is NOT Black . IS Your oil black ?

Here my oil now with 3202.34mi on it Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic & all i use is Unleaded Gas

A little tab of oil isnt going to be black unless its been run a long time. You need more volume to see the true color.

Changed out my oil last weekend if the second me free oil from dealer. It was black coming out of the pan. I didnt ha e a light on it so theres that.

At your next change, drain the oil from the pan into a clear tubberware.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Scott, why have you decided to use K&N filters over AC Delco? Just wondering. Have the AC Delco filters proven to be a problem?
Its just a warm fuzzy I get of thinking that the bypasses may not be opening as much. How much bypass happens during cold start up and acceleration? Maybe none, maybe more than we know. But with oil pumps and lines blowing in Canada, I was happy to have the K&N in there when its cold down here "ON" Antartica, because no one can be "IN" Antartica.

11/17 Colorado 12T43 4X4 Z71 3.6 LGZ CCLB Deepwood green Pedal Commander (City-2) AMP Power Boards Weather Tech mud flaps GM Elastomeric floor liners Hellwig 7745 Sway Bar Mobil1 LV ATF-HP Transmission Drain Plug Currie CE9027 Gorilla Wheel locks
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-claude31 View Post
i dont have black oil,is your k&n filter accordable with synthetic oil ?
Yes. The pleats have never crushed or deformed.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 AM

“ checkyour tailpipe the cold is different now then we had leaded fuel”. Someone is dating his/her self!

2017 laser blue WT extended cab 2WD

South central Indiana
Retired and love it!

V-6 with convenience and towing packages. Added Factory recovery loops (used), factory fog lights (used), tinted front windows, 5" stainless curved nerf bars, tri-fold tonneau cover, bed mat, mud flaps and gel seat cushions.

When posting, remember that it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post a stupid response and remove all doubt
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
A little tab of oil isnt going to be black unless its been run a long time. You need more volume to see the true color.

Changed out my oil last weekend if the second me free oil from dealer. It was black coming out of the pan. I didnt ha e a light on it so theres that.

Really i don't need to put 6 quarts oil in a clear Tupperware (Not Tubberware) to see if it's BLACK or Darker (Brown) if you can't see that small oil drop on right is darker then you need Glasses or do you need a pan full of 6 quarts of oil in a clear Tupperware to see its darker ????

That oil drop on right is from my Diesel Tractor & you can clearly see its Brown but NOT BLACK , Wow wait I forgot you can't because you need a Clear Tupperware Pan Full of oil before you can tell if its Clear or Darker or Black!

MY oil has never been Black-AS-Coal in any of my Vehicles, that oil from my Colorado has over 3000miles on it and its still Clear & Dmross11: says he has 4800 miles on his oil and its still amber , If you like Black as Coal oil more Power to ya .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2091.JPG (61.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2089.jpg (32.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by DFlorida; 04-15-2019 at 10:40 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlorida View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post

Really i don't need to put 6 quarts oil in a clear Tupperware (Not Tubberware) to see if it's BLACK or Darker (Brown) if you can't see that small oil drop on right is darker then you need Glasses or do you need a pan full of 6 quarts of oil in a clear Tupperware to see its darker ????

That oil drop on right is from my Diesel Tractor & you can clearly see its Brown but NOT BLACK , Wow wait I forgot you can't because you need a Clear Tupperware Pan Full of oil before you can tell if its Clear or Darker or Black!

MY oil has never been Black-AS-Coal in any of my Vehicles, that oil from my Colorado has over 3000miles on it and its still Clear & Dmross11: says he has 4800 miles on his oil and its still amber , If you like Black as Coal oil more Power to ya .

You must be a blast to be around with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode