Anyone pay for a "preventative" 8L45 flush? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Anyone pay for a "preventative" 8L45 flush?

I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out.

I bought a 2018 WT V6 4wd, build month 4/18, in Sept of last year. Then I got on this site to learn about my new acquisition and discovered to my horror that the transmission may be a ticking time bomb. Your eyes can go numb trying to review all the posts on this issue but I've read of some 17s that have made it nearly 20k miles before the shudder showed up and now the 2019s are having the issue, one with less than 1000 miles. My truck has 4k on it and no evidence so far of any shudder, clunk, or thud.

So, do I live with this uncertainty and the possibility of the following complications?
>Lack of confidence in my truck,
>Possibility that the shudder could start while I'm on a long trip,
>Possibility of torque converter clutch damage by the time I get to the dealer to have the fluid flush,
>Loss of my time while I deal with the problem - I doubt I'll be able to drive it into the dealer's and have it fixed that day. Also, my closest dealer is 1/2 hour away. If the TCC is damaged and the flush doesn't fix it then there are a couple of more trips.

When it comes to the last point, what's your time worth, particularly if you have to take time off work to deal with this problem?

Another thing to consider is that I'll own this truck for a loooooong time. I don't have the resources to pop into a new vehicle every few years. I sold a 2005 Ranger with 168,000 miles on it to buy this truck.

I'm going to continue to monitor the last pages in "shudder threads" (as many as I can stand) to see if this latest trans fluid fixes the problem in the womb, so to speak, on current production Colorados. It could take a while to see any effect if GM is running out their supply of the previous fluid to save having to toss however many thousands of $$ of it they may have in inventory.

BTW, it would sure help if people would include their build date (on the driver's door frame sticker) when they post about this issue. And, obviously, the mileage that the shudder first occurred, as I've seen a few posters omit even that basic piece of information.

So, is paying for a "preventative" flush out of your own pocket terminally stupid, or perhaps a reasonable (although somewhat costly) way to avoid the problems listed above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:25 AM

I have approximately 6500 miles on my 18. Around 4k I noticed a very slight amount of shudder. I have a shop so I did a little research and diag on my own and was able to verify FCC shudder by watching slip on my scanner. When I took it to my local dealership they gave me the old "could not duplicate" which is bullshit. So I wound up flushing myself with Amsoil ATF and haven't had an issue since.

A few things to consider, if you plan on doing it yourself. The design of this trans makes it difficult to do a drain and fill (the fill plug is in the worst imaginable place, I have the 3rd degree burns to prove it) and a flush would be a much more complete change. And there is a specific procedure to check fluid levels that requires the truck running, up to temp, and to be under it....

Imo it wont hurt to do a preventive flush. Keep in mind however the fluid alone will cost around $200 whether you use Mobil or Amsoil.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:29 AM

Addendum:
Where are you located? If you are semi-close to me and wish to have your fluid exchanged my shop can take care of you. We are not a dealer, just an independent shop.

Also, for those worried about warranty with aftermarket fluid. Our local GMC dealer who we have a good relationship with told me flat out "use any fluid that meets the spec, if you run into an issue they wont do an analysis of the oil to determine if its factory fluid or not."
16WhiteColly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 AM

Garage
they did a flush for me 2 weeks ago no questions asked (2400 miles/ sept 2018 build date)

it has been perfect since (fingers crossed)
Toughsox and 16WhiteColly like this.

2019 ZR2 Dusk Edition
2003 LS1 Corvette
1971 Monte Carlo SS454
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteholic View Post
they did a flush for me 2 weeks ago no questions asked (2400 miles/ sept 2018 build date)

it has been perfect since (fingers crossed)
that was nice of them. which dealer did you take it to?
16WhiteColly likes this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

In reply to Mikes85:

Yeah, even on other vehicles I've owned I've never been tempted to do my own trans drain and fill, basically because that only gets part of the fluid changed - like changing half your engine oil.

I live in a small town near Auburn, CA.

Always a relief to have a real mechanic post on these sites, BTW.

Last edited by Cynergy12; 04-09-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add info.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes85 View Post
Addendum:
Where are you located? If you are semi-close to me and wish to have your fluid exchanged my shop can take care of you. We are not a dealer, just an independent shop.

Also, for those worried about warranty with aftermarket fluid. Our local GMC dealer who we have a good relationship with told me flat out "use any fluid that meets the spec, if you run into an issue they wont do an analysis of the oil to determine if its factory fluid or not."

you might want to put your location in your signature or put it in your post so the OP will be able to tell if he is close to you....might put your vehicle and any mods to,,,
16WhiteColly and Tom S. like this.

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
you might want to put your location in your signature or put it in your post so the OP will be able to tell if he is close to you....might put your vehicle and any mods to,,,
I noted the irony in that too. He asks where the other guy is at but fails to say where he is.

2018 Zr2 V6 Crew Cab Delivered 1/10/18
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Maybe he doesn't want to get swamped with requests? Dunno….
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:54 PM

I don't think its crazy.

If you really think about what GM has told us, then I think every dang Colorado or Canyon out there should get the new fluid, free of charge. GM has said that the "old" fluid collects too much moisture, which can lead to the slipping/shuddering, which if left along can lead to TC failure. I mean...its not a intermittent issue that affects just some trucks. Fluid is fluid, and all the trucks had it. (Sure, not every truck has had issues...I get that) So they should put the new fluid in every truck...simple as that.

But they won't...not unless the customer asks for it, and the dealer either agrees to do it or confirms the shudder exists.

Least you could do is talk to someone at your dealership and run it by them. Ask them if they would do it under warranty or not (likely a longshot). I'd even say it has been acting up but not all the time. Maybe then they will just do it. At the very least, then you can confirm with them that it is on your record if it pops up (for real) at a later time.

Otherwise, if this fluid is the real fix, and 3 - 5 hundred dollars gives you peace of mind...totally worth it.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I am going to run it by the dealer. You can't lose by asking. I'll be there in a couple of weeks because I'm attempting to convert my WT to an "LT Lite" - factory fog light package and remote start fobs. Next move will be to install an LT drivers side sun visor so I can slide it back to really effectively block the sun. The oem is almost useless for me.
Toughsox likes this.

Last edited by Cynergy12; 04-09-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: bad speling
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynergy12 View Post
I am going to run it by the dealer. You can't lose by asking. I'll be there in a couple of weeks because I'm attempting to convert my WT to an "LT Lite" - factory fog light package and remote start fobs. Next move will be to install an LT drivers side sun visor so I can slide it back to really effectively block the sun. The oem is almost useless for me.
If the dealer has any integrity, they will tell you if it's not broke, don't fix it. Not every Colorado has the shudder issue, and if your truck does develop the problem, the dealer will address it for free. Remember too - the person you speak to in the service write up area isn't a mechanic. If you want a real opinion, ask to speak to their transmission repair person.

2018 Zr2 V6 Crew Cab Delivered 1/10/18
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes85 View Post
Addendum:

I would like to, but there doesn't seem to be any option to do so on the mobile site. Been trying to figure it out for a while. (Although I haven't been trying THAT hard.)
Toughsox likes this.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynergy12 View Post
In reply to Mikes85:

Yeah, even on other vehicles I've owned I've never been tempted to do my own trans drain and fill, basically because that only gets part of the fluid changed - like changing half your engine oil.

I live in a small town near Auburn, CA.

Always a relief to have a real mechanic post on these sites, BTW.
That “Always a relief to have a real mechanic post on these sites, BTW”. That is a real slap in the face to all others that post and try to give you assistance and help with your problem! Think about it if you were on the reading end. Sounds like he is the only one that knows anything.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 PM

I have thought out this and do you go proactive or not.

The problem is for one we need more time to see if the latest fix is long term or not. And as Tom stated not all trucks have the issue.

Till more info as to exactly what is the cause or what is the fix I am behind the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

You may just create an issue that may not have happened.

It is just hard to make a rational decision to do anything till it is either already shuddering or it is confirmed what the cause is.
Toughsox and prodriver like this.

Last edited by hyperv6; 04-10-2019 at 08:03 AM.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 PM

Tom S.I totally agree. I even read a post where a guy said its not a matter of if its going to happen but when its going to happen. Most posts you will read are only the ones that have it, not the ones that have driven theirs for some time and haven't had it. And while I'm at it it seems to be the consensus that because some have been told that its moisture in the fluid at a dealership that causes it then by golly thats the problem. I have never read an actual account of GM itself saying that's definitely the cause. Yes theirs a problem and GM is being hush about actually what it is. My 2019 Colorado doesn't have it but don't have many miles on it either. Am I worried, hell no. I have 3yrs/36,000 miles and then powertrain warranty after that. And I have an extended warranty after that to cover truck till paid for. I'm sure they will have problem solved before its on my dime.
Toughsox likes this.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Southern Manitoba Canada here. I had my steering issue checked out yesterday (rough when steering left and only left, fixed for now with adding alot more grease to steering). I told them I had felt the shudder a few times. My truck has just under 1000 kms. They said no problem, they would call me as soon as they had more fluid in. They were impressed with my knowledge of my issue (thanks forum!) and were well aware of it and sympathetic about having a brand new vehicle not drive like you would expect forking over that kind of cash. Like other posters have said, never hurts to ask. If they refuse or give the ol' runaround, try another dealer.
Toughsox likes this.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyone View Post
Tom S.I totally agree. I even read a post where a guy said its not a matter of if its going to happen but when its going to happen. Most posts you will read are only the ones that have it, not the ones that have driven theirs for some time and haven't had it. And while I'm at it it seems to be the consensus that because some have been told that its moisture in the fluid at a dealership that causes it then by golly thats the problem. I have never read an actual account of GM itself saying that's definitely the cause. Yes theirs a problem and GM is being hush about actually what it is. My 2019 Colorado doesn't have it but don't have many miles on it either. Am I worried, hell no. I have 3yrs/36,000 miles and then powertrain warranty after that. And I have an extended warranty after that to cover truck till paid for. I'm sure they will have problem solved before its on my dime.
The dealer first words after I described the shudder is yes they have the wrong fluid that absorbs too much water. Guess it depends which dealer as my local one is excellent and have very knowledgeable staff up to date on TSB's etc.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:41 PM

I asked about this and the programming issues last week at the dealer. He asked my if I was having any issues. I said no. He said don't temp fate. He says some reprograms go bad and the flush is for when you have problems. Since I don't, I moved on.
Toughsox likes this.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:14 PM

::::::::raises his hand as he states 'REAL MECHANIC HERE'::::::::::

I personally wouldn't ask them to change the fluid for the following reasons.

1. Your truck is not encountering the shuddering.....yet
2. The latest fix is too new and has NOT been proven to work as a permanent solution.
3. When/if they come up with what they feel is the correct fix, does anyone know if this recent fluid change is going to compound the problem of the later fix?

Bottom line is, Id wait if I were you. Within 6 months you are going to know if you have a problem and most importantly, if this fluid change actually did what they are hoping it will do.
Dmross11 and prodriver like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 ZR-71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode