Yes 204 46.47%
No 162 36.90%
Not certain, but something's odd 73 16.63%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

230Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Question 17 & up 8 speed shudder/rumble poll

OK, let's see how prevalent this might be.

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Dodo Juice, Chemical Guys, McKee's 37, & Turtle Wax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 AM

Only 1200 miles on my wt and starting to shudder like crazy. Build date 8/2017.
Wonder if they will do the flush and fluid change? Will have to inquire.
KY Red Rock and Surf75 like this.

2018 Colorado ECLB 3.6 2WD W/T
BAK Revolver X2 LED bed lights
WeatherTech floor liners and mud flaps
Dee Zee bed mat Bed rug tailgate mat
AVS ventvisors tailgate seal Pop and lock
Westin Black Pro Traxx 4 Oval StepBars

Last edited by tealsmoke; 02-18-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #3 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:22 AM

Built 5/17 and so far it's fine, I do use the Pedal commander.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 Colorado ZR2 Deepwood Green Metallic, Ext Cab 3.6 DI DOHC V6 (LGZ) 8-speed auto (8L45).
Midwest Overland Ind, 589 Fab, Warn, GMPP, Trifecta, Nitro Gear, Rhino Rack, Wilco Offset, Smittybilt, Ultra Ranger. Supermod Skidz.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:37 AM

I had it and it was corrected with one trip to the dealers service department where I had excellent treatment from end to end and the problem was gone.

In my opinion, this is no different than any other item that would come up under warranty, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. No different than you would do if an injector was partially working or the wiper motor was not working properly. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer that every vehicle I have ever purchased would have been absolutely perfect from day one, the reality is that sometimes adjustments need to be made.

It appears that many of the people commenting on this topic have a poor dealer/service department or just haven't taken their truck in. This is not unique to the Twins, it applies to any of the GM products with 8L90 and 8L45 Automatic Transmission (RPOs M5U, M5T, M5N, M5X), including the Twins, most Cadillac's and Sierra/Silverado, Yukon and Escalade and goes back to 2015.

To me the tranny issue was a lot more minor than the 4 vehicles that had to have airbags replaced, the 3 that had to have ignition switches replaced (one that broke and waited 2 weeks for parts), one that had a bad highlight switch. My favorite one was the highlights would just turn off going down the road in the dark. This happened when I was going from Tok, AK to Anchorage, AK, I don't remember the exact distance, but it is around a 8 hour drive. According to Chrysler it was caused by the headlight switch overheating - that's a comfort feeling. I ended up staying two extra days in Anchorage awaiting parts.

The tranny shutter was an inconvenience, but wasn't dangerous and didn't leave me stranded, so I am not going to be overly critical about it.

2017 Colorado Z71, Cajun Red, Crew Cab, Bose, Nav, Factory Bedliner
Mods: Westin HDX Xtreme Boards, Window Tint, Exhaust Extension, Bully Hitch Step, WeatherTech Mud Flaps, Tuxedo Titanium Tonneau, Bedrug, Box Lights, AeroSkin II
LEDs: OPT7 FluxBeam Headlights, JDMAstar Fogs, JDMAstar Backup, JDMAster License, JDMAstar Brake
post #5 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 AM

No - build date 7/5/17, 2070 mi.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 Z71 Colorado Midnight Edition, 3M tinted windows, XPEL paint protection, off-road assist step
post #6 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 AM

Garage
Yes, 2/17 build.
Showed up intermittently at ~10,800 miles. Drove it until I was sure it was repeatable. I scheduled it last week, and had it flushed yesterday in about 2hrs, based solely on the information I provided the service writer. Was told that the wrong fluid was definitely installed in the trans, and they will only fix via complaint system, so no proactive fixing based off "internet trends".
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 Z71 CCSB, V6, Brownstone Metallic
2017 LT CCSB, V6, Cyber Grey Metallic *TRADED*
2015 Z71 Ext Cab, V6, Red Hot *TRADED*
post #7 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 AM

Garage
7,600 Miles 3.6L V6 2017 Built 2-14-2017.
No shudder so far.

A couple of things: - - -
What I don't quite understand is if it is the "wrong" fluid that was installed at the factory, why doesn't it show up right away? Was it maybe a bad batch or some other version of fluid got mistakenly installed?

And- - - I am reading conflicting information that it happens only when the trans fluid gets above a certain temperature? Yes. . .No. . Maybe?

Also, are there varying degrees of shudder or is it that when it does it there will be no doubt? So far mine has been ok, but I am doing limited driving now in the truck since winter. . . . only out 12 to 30 mile trips maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

I think I've read of some who get the shudder no matter what temp . . just that it happens at a steady light throttle at a relatively wide speed range?
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
13,200 Miles 12-15-2018
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 02-18-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #8 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Garage
No issues whatsoever with my baby, yet (4700 miles to date)
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 Colorado LT, Ext Cab, V6, 4WD, built June 2017
Cyber Grey, Trailer Pkg w/Brake Control
Factory Spray-on bed-liner, Heated Seats
post #9 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Garage
I also can't understand the varying degrees of disparity of mileage, intensity, and speeds for the effects to show up. I can only give my observations for my situation, and maybe a pattern will materialize. Might be driving styles, conditions, or something not yet realized. My wife's truck is a 11/16 build, and just tipped 6K miles, and drives fine. But she also doesn't get up into 7th & 8th gears often.

I run a Pedal Commander, but use cruise control every opportunity I can religiously, to prevent the augmented TPS signal to have the trans shift too much and too far. My symptoms showed up during cruise use on the highway during grade changes. As time and symptoms progressed, I took out the PC. The symptoms started to show during a constant pedal acceleration, and a cruise resume press at 25mph, which had the feeling of misfires as speed progressed.

The flush has seemed to extremely dull the symptoms to just real minor pulse feel at hwy speed only, with a smooth acceleration again. They said to give it 200 miles.
There was a post with information about a formulation change with the Mobil 1 LV syn trans. fluid with improved low temp viscosity, and notes to use bottles made after a specified lot marker value.

2017 Z71 CCSB, V6, Brownstone Metallic
2017 LT CCSB, V6, Cyber Grey Metallic *TRADED*
2015 Z71 Ext Cab, V6, Red Hot *TRADED*
post #10 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 AM

None - 10,500 miles, 2017 ZR2.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #11 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 12:50 PM

Ď18 2400 miles.
Not so much of a shutter, more of a clunk when releasing the brake and touching the pedal to accelerate.

Similar issue when braking to nearly a full stop as the trans comes down into 1st gear.

Both issues are intermittent and temps havenít seemed to be a contributing factor.

Just ordered the PC. Hopefully this fixes or helps that issue.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #12 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS View Post
I had it and it was corrected with one trip to the dealers service department where I had excellent treatment from end to end and the problem was gone.

In my opinion, this is no different than any other item that would come up under warranty, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. No different than you would do if an injector was partially working or the wiper motor was not working properly. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer that every vehicle I have ever purchased would have been absolutely perfect from day one, the reality is that sometimes adjustments need to be made.

It appears that many of the people commenting on this topic have a poor dealer/service department or just haven't taken their truck in. This is not unique to the Twins, it applies to any of the GM products with 8L90 and 8L45 Automatic Transmission (RPOs M5U, M5T, M5N, M5X), including the Twins, most Cadillac's and Sierra/Silverado, Yukon and Escalade and goes back to 2015.

To me the tranny issue was a lot more minor than the 4 vehicles that had to have airbags replaced, the 3 that had to have ignition switches replaced (one that broke and waited 2 weeks for parts), one that had a bad highlight switch. My favorite one was the highlights would just turn off going down the road in the dark. This happened when I was going from Tok, AK to Anchorage, AK, I don't remember the exact distance, but it is around a 8 hour drive. According to Chrysler it was caused by the headlight switch overheating - that's a comfort feeling. I ended up staying two extra days in Anchorage awaiting parts.

The tranny shutter was an inconvenience, but wasn't dangerous and didn't leave me stranded, so I am not going to be overly critical about it.
Ray, did the dealer fix the problem by doing a flush, or was there some other cause?

2018 Zr2 V6 Crew Cab Delivered 1/10/18
post #13 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 02:10 PM

Garage
My 17 is fine. 15,500 miles.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

Check out my YouTube Channel! - How To's & Product Reviews
post #14 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 02:23 PM

Yup, been happening on my 2017 Colorado Z71 V6 since about 500 miles. Have just over 2k miles now and called the dealership about it and spoke with a service tech last week. When I explained what was happening he said it was almost guaranteed to be an issue with the torque converter locker and that they had seen quite a few of them. Apparently Chevy put out a Service Bulletin that says to do 1 transmission flush for 2016 models, and THREE in a row for 2017 models. After that the owner is supposed to report if the issue returns after another 200 miles. My truck goes in to the shop for this work this coming Friday.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #15 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 03:33 PM

12/23/16 build

3537 miles

No issue to this point.

Most miles have been spring, summer and fall.

There are just so many questions and variables to be asked we just donít know the answers to.
BamCam, KY Red Rock and tealsmoke like this.
post #16 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 PM

Need to bring it in, 2018 zr2 with 3k miles. Had a new transfer case installed at 1500, been doing the shudder since 19xx miles. Been super busy and haven't had a chance to bring it in. I'm really hoping I don't regret this purchase.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2018 zr2 kinetic blue
post #17 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Ray, did the dealer fix the problem by doing a flush, or was there some other cause?
The dealer performed the flush, which is repeated a couple of times. Here is a link to the PDF with the affected vehicles, symptoms and repair procedures: https://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb...dPdf?id=201234

With my truck the shudder was barely noticeable on the drive home from the dealer and by the end of the week, I could not feel it at all. I have talked to a others who had it and with the exception of one, they flush fixed the problem. The one person who said it did not had to take the their Silverado in for torque converter replacement and that completely solved their problem.

For those curious about when I would feel it the most. Going into work there is a slight, maybe 1% incline that I would hit at about 55 MPH, just touching the throttle to keep the speed steady, it would feel like rubble strips under the truck. It would last 1-2 seconds and be gone, but it was very noticeable. It would happen in other locations also, but that one location really stood out and I knew it wasn't the road since I'm also on the same road with the wife's car and it didn't happen with hers.

2017 Colorado Z71, Cajun Red, Crew Cab, Bose, Nav, Factory Bedliner
Mods: Westin HDX Xtreme Boards, Window Tint, Exhaust Extension, Bully Hitch Step, WeatherTech Mud Flaps, Tuxedo Titanium Tonneau, Bedrug, Box Lights, AeroSkin II
LEDs: OPT7 FluxBeam Headlights, JDMAstar Fogs, JDMAstar Backup, JDMAster License, JDMAstar Brake

Last edited by RayS; 02-19-2018 at 05:42 AM.
post #18 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:21 PM

Only 500 miles on my ZR2, but no issues.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #19 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Mine does it lightly on the throttle between 30-40 and around 60 as well. If I'm going up a hill it's much worse. I'm hoping the flush fixes it, if not then a converter is needed....
KY Red Rock likes this.

2018 zr2 kinetic blue
post #20 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 01:39 AM

No shudder at ~3700 miles. Built 6/17, bought 11/17. Longest distance in a single stretch was a little over 500 miles. No towing, but light weekly hauling.
KY Red Rock likes this.

Onyx Black Canyon CCSB V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in