What can I do with factory tow hitch? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

What can I do with factory tow hitch?

I just got my 2017 Colorado WT a couple weeks ago and am eager to learn all about it and begin modding it. My biggest issue right now, is that I don't know what to do with the factory tow hitch.

I know I'm probably putting this post in the wrong thread, so if that's the case please let me know where it should go (I didn't see any threads dedicated to Gen2 Towing Q&A).

As shown in the pics below, the bumper insert has what looks like a perforated hole that a ball hitch would go through, based on the view from the underside.

But I cant for the life of me find any videos or posts about if the factory equipment is usable or how to remove that perforated ball hitch cover.

I'm about to take a pocketknife to it, but before I do, I wanted to reach to the community.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, MrSietche
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2540.jpg (116.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2541.jpg (62.3 KB, 110 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:21 PM

Garage
If you're going to tow much of anything at all I'd get a true hitch. If it's just a lawnmower on a trailer then cut that puppy out with a utility knife.
16WhiteColly and greco2003 like this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:25 PM

First of all welcome too the forum.

we need full pictures of your truck.

fyi, there is a search window right above Hot Deals on the right side, just type in what you are looking for.

Now to your issue

What are youu going to be towing? weight of trailer? Does it have trailer brakes.

Reason I ask, is it might be better to get a tow hitch instead of using the bumper if you are going to be towing a lot or heavy trailer or possibly using a hitch carrier of some sort, like a bike carrier or cargo carrrier. which uses a 2inch receiver they abut a hundred bucks and easy to install

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 PM

I have an '18 Colorado v6 WT, same hitches yours (through bumper) as I understand it, as is our truck can tow 3,500 LBs by cutting the circular cutout in bumper and fastening g a reciever ball in there, however with a rated reciever hitch you can tow up to 7,000 LBs

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:41 PM

Garage
A member on the forum tackled this last week. Just drilled thru the top plastic bumper from underneath. Shortly after that he backed up his trailer a little too sharp and Bent the main bumper. Without a receiver hitch, you do not have the extra extension, so it is very easy to jackknife the trailer.
JBT and Tom S. like this.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:55 AM

Garage
My post...from a while back...hope it helps lol.

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/...-most-you.html

2016 Colorado WT 2.5 CC/SB/2WD
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Country View Post
I have an '18 Colorado v6 WT, same hitches yours (through bumper) as I understand it, as is our truck can tow 3,500 LBs by cutting the circular cutout in bumper and fastening g a reciever ball in there, however with a rated reciever hitch you can tow up to 7,000 LBs

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Actually not true. These hitches come on the 4 cylinder equipped trucks is why there is a 3500lb rating. The design allows up to 4000+lbs because of the looped end and a receiver hitch is rated to the motor equipped in the truck. Hitches in the receiver class are rated based on tube size of the receiver from 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 2 etc, then frame style. Class 3 framed receiver hitches are rated to 6000 lbs which most here buy aftermarket and think there rated at 7000+ lbs. Only HD framed class 4's go higher and so on to the Xls at 20000 lbs!

And the guy who used his and jack knifed the trailer into the bumper admitted to having this trailer jack to far forward and that hit. Now it is easier to create a jack knife condition using this hitch vs a receiver, but you should never allow a trailer to be pushed at such and angle in the first place.
Just use a 1" spade wood bit carefully and find the center from the bottom first with a small drill bit. This way the outer tabs on the spade but remove the plastic outside the connection. Just doing the center makes the plastic part of the ball base. Knife ain't gonna cut it, pun intended!!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:48 PM

Garage
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I’ll get a better hitch put on very soon and toss up the pics ASAP.

Btw, I’m replying from a backup account I had to create bc of password reset issues.
16WhiteColly and Rpinaiii like this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:14 AM

The bumper hitch is not configuration / engine dependant. All are limited to 3,500 lbs regardless of the model.

From the manual.....

"A step-bumper hitch is limited to
1587 kg (3,500 lb) total weight."

And another note.....

"If a step-bumper hitch will be used,
the bumper could be damaged in
sharp turns. Make sure there
is ample room when turning to
avoid contact between the trailer
and the bumper."

Like others have mentioned, the preference is to a hitch receiver in the maximum weight class category your particular truck model configuration will allow. Adjustable ball platforms help keep your trailer level as well which makes for a better towing experience. Adds a lot of versatility with a minimal investment in hardware. A good mod for your truck.

2015 CCSB Z71 4X4 3.6L LFX Red Rock Metallic
BAK G2 cover - Tekonsha Prodigy controller - Tow Pkg
Weathertech mud flaps - Factory tubular steps
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
The bumper hitch is not configuration / engine dependant.
I agree with your post, but if all you're towing is a small aluminum boat the bumper hitch should be adequate. My old Ranger only has a towing capacity of 1,500 pounds due to having a manual transmission (5,000 if automatic), and I only have a hitch receiver because something bad happened to the bumper and I bought a replacement with an integrated receiver. I don't remember, but it probably only cost $25-$50 more than one without. And it protected the truck a lot better the next time something bad happened to the bumper!
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:40 AM

Once you cut out the hole and mount the ball in that location, you will have an ugly hole in the plastic bumper cover. That piece of plastic probably costs almost as much as a good aftermarket receiver setup.

Save yourself some trouble, dealing with all of the confusing advice from us shade tree mechanics, and some money, and just get a receiver hitch.
16WhiteColly and Iamscotticus like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 AM

Garage
Another benefit of having a receiver hitch instead of a bumper hitch is the flexibility to add other items. I have a carrying rack that fits into the receiver for carrying dirty materials like cement or sand that is always messy, a bike carrier for two bikes as the bed is too short with the tool box and other junk, a ball hitch of course, and a drawbar with a clevis hitch to run a tow chain through for pulling logs into a clearing or pulling a stuck vehicle like my son's 2wd car. Can't do most of those with a bumper hitch. I have a receiver hitch on my Chevy Equinox that can handle the same accessories.
Goodspike likes this.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:39 AM

Garage
I have the same bumper hitch been meaning to take it off Iíll never tow with my truck 1.being the 4cyl and 2. I have nothing to tow lol.

2017 Chevy Colorado LT CCSB 2.5L 4cyl, Lazer blue with Bose, navigation, kicker vss, IBoard running boards, Z71 wheels, fog lamps, Drl relocation harness, led fog lights, high and low beam headlights, switchbacks.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:06 PM

I installed the hidden hitch almost one year ago. I dont even use it, BUT always good to be ready when needed. Take the stock one off. Very easy install, and price is very reasonable as well. Usually the aftermarket hitch will come with the light connector and wiring. Very easy for that was well since the truck has like a pig tail back in the rear and the wires color match.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco2003 View Post
I have the same bumper hitch been meaning to take it off Iíll never tow with my truck 1.being the 4cyl and 2. I have nothing to tow lol.
What are you going to take off: That bar with the two pieces of sheet metal with a hole in them for the tow chains is actually a structural cross-member of the truck. You can't (shouldn't) remove the bar, and the only semblance of a tow capacity for the truck is the tow chain hook up. Those are only removable with a torch as far as I can tell.

From a resale point of view, just leave it in place.
greco2003 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
What are you going to take off: That bar with the two pieces of sheet metal with a hole in them for the tow chains is actually a structural cross-member of the truck. You can't (shouldn't) remove the bar, and the only semblance of a tow capacity for the truck is the tow chain hook up. Those are only removable with a torch as far as I can tell.

From a resale point of view, just leave it in place.
I was gonna take off the bar with the ball mount that would include the sheet metal with the chain hooks. I donít see how itís structural in any way itís just a tow hitch. Care to share on why you think itís structural??

2017 Chevy Colorado LT CCSB 2.5L 4cyl, Lazer blue with Bose, navigation, kicker vss, IBoard running boards, Z71 wheels, fog lamps, Drl relocation harness, led fog lights, high and low beam headlights, switchbacks.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
Its a truck. You haul stuff.
U-Haul installs more of these than anybody.
Get a 2" receiver and the brake light connections.
Haul stuff with confidence.

All gave some, some gave all, protesters gave nothing.
11/17 Colorado 12T43 4X4 Z71 3.6 LGZ CCLB Deepwood green Pedal Commander (City-2) AMP Power Boards Weather Tech mud flaps GM Elastomeric floor liners Hellwig 7745 Sway Bar Mobil1 LV ATF-HP Transmission Drain Plug Currie CE9027 Gorilla Wheel locks
Please don't use PhotoBucket, You're wasting your time

Last edited by Iamscotticus; 04-23-2019 at 06:03 PM.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco2003 View Post
I was gonna take off the bar with the ball mount that would include the sheet metal with the chain hooks. I donít see how itís structural in any way itís just a tow hitch. Care to share on why you think itís structural??
If we are talking the same piece, it mounts with bolts to each side of the ladder frame of the truck, and everyone who has removed it has complained about the torque necessary to remove the bolts. It is basically the furthest to the rear cross member of what I think is a structural piece of the frame. If you remove and someone taps your bumper, I bet the bumper crumples up like a piece of aluminum foil.

Do you actually find it that objectionable to look at?

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:12 PM

Garage
Upon looking at the hitch/bar that you are talking about for the tow chains on my sonís 2019 Canyon WT, it looked exactly like a frame mounted receiver hitch, except it did not have the square receiver. I would think that the new receiver hitch would replace that and put the rigidity back into the frame. I will look again when I see him.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Upon looking at the hitch/bar that you are talking about for the tow chains on my sonís 2019 Canyon WT, it looked exactly like a frame mounted receiver hitch, except it did not have the square receiver. I would think that the new receiver hitch would replace that and put the rigidity back into the frame. I will look again when I see him.
The receiver hitch that you can buy for our trucks does exactly that: You replace on cross member for another one.

My understanding of @greco2003 's plan was to just remove the cross member with no replacement since he doesn't tow anything.
16WhiteColly likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode