Bed Modification - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbear View Post
As the ZR2 uses the same size 265/65/17 tire as the other Twins, there should be space back there to do what you want. I'm kind of curious now if the ZR2 has different part number fender liners, as the ~2" width on either side should fit differently.

Problem is you either have an ExCab long bed or a Crew Cab shortbed, rather than a longbed Crew, which would be ideal. Might be easier to get a regular Twin and a ZR2 rear. You'd end up with a selectable rear locker in that scenario, something not available on regular Twins.
Tire size is actually 255/65/17 per the Build & Price. (This is the same size tire as other models of the truck)

Specs appear to show the body width is 76.7" instead of the 74.3" - I suspect that could simple be wheel flares.

Tread width is 65.9" as opposed to 62.4" - I assume that tread width is the centerline of the tires. That is 3.5" of difference. The dimension between the wheel wells is 44.4" - to get to 48" of width, you need 3.6" of additional width, plus if you add my spary in bedliner idea, you probably need closer to the full 4" to make room for 4x8 sheets. In my eyes, you have dug into the safety factor the designers built into the original design, assuming that the tire and not part of the suspension was the driving force behind the design.

May be premature on my part, but I think this idea would be pushing the envelope a little too far.

I think you need good comparison pictures of the regular and the ZR2 wheel wells: If the ZR2 design was not only pushed out the extra width of the tread, plus the geometry of the suspension was slightly altered, then maybe it would work. You need those pictures loaded and unloaded to really understand the interactions.

Can anyone state how far the bed drops when you load 1,000 pounds in it? Or 1,200 pounds in the bed? Is it 2" or is it 6" of drop? (At 2" of drop with 1,000 pounds, I would argue all of our trucks could have been designed with a pretty squared off bed with no wheel wells intrusion into the bed. )

I don't load heavy loads often, but next time I do, I want to look at how much the rear of the truck drops.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
Thanks for catching the typo.

Suspension travel under load on road is mostly moot. There will be only droop, not compression, unless you're fourwheeling with a load of ply, which some, like @F8LZ71 might do for backcountry construction or trail work, but such occurrences are vanishingly rare.

Here is the Twin rear and a ZR2 rear, you can see the added axle width clearly. If the compression and droop arcs for a regular twin clear the wells, the added width of the ZR2 axle should give even more clearance. Enough for 2" on either side? That's more trig than I want to do at the moment.

I disagree with your earlier comment that current GM would do it if they could. Adding a different bed option on to an already well optioned platform would be more trouble tooling than it's worth. Even if it is a class only feature, similar to the diesel, I don't see them doing it. It's too bad, it would open up a lot more used campers, as well as ply and drywall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Twinwblockrear.jpg (156.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg ZR2withblockrear.jpg (207.1 KB, 59 views)
F8LZ71 likes this.

-- vi et armis invictus maneo --

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic184978_3.gif
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:19 PM

@Thunderbear,

Great pics. Clearly shows a lot of clearance on the ZR2. The regular truck is so tight, that I can't tell much from it. I still would like to see the truck under a load. I know it might not make much difference. But, it at least gives a feel for any interference that might happen jostling off road.

I agree, GM doesn't want to design a special bed for the ZR2. But the clearance looks like it should be there even on the standard trucks. A 48" bed width between the wheel wells would have been such a big selling feature. I often wonder if this is a decision by some marketing or accounting type to make sure the mid-size trucks don't harm FS truck sales. After all, what is the first answer we gave the OP - Maybe you should re-consider a FS truck if 4x8 lumber is a major issue.

I decided to check - not sure this is true, but the turning diameter on the ZR2 is listed as same as the rest of the trucks. Seems like the ZR2 should be at least 8" wider than the rest of the trucks. Doesn't impact the discussions here, but odd.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, now it's clear that the extra track width of the ZR2 is accomplished by using a wider differential. Thanks to those who cleared this up. I doubt that I would spend the money to replace the differential in a Z71 Colorado or an SLT Canyon. I believe the gear ratio is different in the ZR2, so a ring and pinion set would add to the cost. I had also thought that the full load set of the truck should be checked for clearance. There's a significant radius in the tub at the top inner portion. That radius would have to be less to provide clearance with a full load. Sure looks like there's potential if anyone wanted to try this modification. There are spacers available as shown in another thread but, if used in the available widths I believe flares would be necessary. Thanks to all who added to my idea.
Howard
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 PM

Garage
Wider axle tube, to be specific, and as far as I've read, that and the e-locker are the only differences between the two. The gear ratio is the same, but the ring and pinion set may differ due to the e-locker versus G80 differences. Should be one of the simplest axle swaps there is.. and here's one, provided they send you what you order...
F8LZ71 likes this.

-- vi et armis invictus maneo --

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic184978_3.gif
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I stand corrected. The axle ratio is the same for all vehicles with the 3.6 and 2.8 engines, 3.42. The I4 gas uses a 4.10.
Howard
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO41 View Post
I haven't made up my mind yet but, I'm going to own one of the twins. I'll probably have to order what I want since the dealers are low on inventory. The major thing that has annoyed me about most of the mid size trucks is the width between the wheel wells, (twins= 44.4"). Where the hell are these designers buying their plywood? The Honda Ridgeline is the only one wide enough to handle 4' materials.

My question: Considering the spacers used to widen the ZR2 tread by 3", is there enough room in back of the rear wheels to modify the tubs to get an extra couple of inches to widen the bed to 48-50"? A friend has a successful restoration/hot rod business and regularly modifies vintage pickup bed tubs, (widens), to accommodate wider wheels/tires. So the expertise is available if there is enough room. BTW, I would rather not add flares, even the ones used on the ZR2.

P.S. I do know about the notches above wheel wells for slats to haul the wider materials.
Your thoughts,

Howard
there's always the Ute Bed option. You can even order new Colorado/Canyon with this bed from your dealership. Most dealerships don't know it though, because GM is terrible at marketing work trucks. see UteBed on Facebook or go to Welcome to*Ute Ltd - Manufacturers of Tough Aluminum Pick-up Truck Beds
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 PM

http://uteltd.com/gmtrucks/2017GM-Dealer-email.pdf Here's a photo... in case you are interested.
Toughsox likes this.

UteMan
Seattle, WA
2006 Siverado HD 4x4 Duramax 6 spd Allison - Ute Bed and Aluminum Bullbar (Deer Catcher)
2005 Colorado 4x4 w/ Ute Bed for haulin' a ton
1987 IROC Z28 Camaro - still rumblin'
1968 Malibu 396 w/425HP 65'Corvette engine (retired)
1961 Apache step side 16" w/ posie (retired)
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteMan View Post
http://uteltd.com/gmtrucks/2017GM-Dealer-email.pdf Here's a photo... in case you are interested.
That certainly looks to be quality built. Nicely done.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 ZR-71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:55 PM

“I have no way of knowing, but I suspect the Federal rear view camera requirements is what ended the 45 deg design.“.

Actually, the 45 degree design did not end. Our tailgates have a 45 degree setting by putting the cables over the pegs in the tailgate frame. That tailgate setting combined with using the 2” by 6” in the slots discussed to support the 8’ by 4’ plywood allows you to haul them in your extended cab Colorado or Canyon. It is surprising how many do not know of this feature.

2017 laser blue WT extended cab 2WD

South central Indiana
Retired and love it!

V-6 with convenience and towing packages. Added Factory recovery loops (used), factory fog lights (used), tinted front windows, 5" stainless curved nerf bars, tri-fold tonneau cover, bed mat, mud flaps and gel seat cushions.

When posting, remember that it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post a stupid response and remove all doubt
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteMan View Post
There's a couple of these, or something similar, locally. There's a couple of local contractors using mid size PUs with them. Makes hauling the 4 x 8 stuff a piece of cake, say nothing of the ability to take a pallet off the back with a fork lift.

For the use I have in mind, I'll probably keep mine stock. This started off as just a thought looking for input. Thanks for all the helpful posts.
Howard
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado17# View Post
“I have no way of knowing, but I suspect the Federal rear view camera requirements is what ended the 45 deg design.“.

Actually, the 45 degree design did not end. Our tailgates have a 45 degree setting by putting the cables over the pegs in the tailgate frame. That tailgate setting combined with using the 2” by 6” in the slots discussed to support the 8’ by 4’ plywood allows you to haul them in your extended cab Colorado or Canyon. It is surprising how many do not know of this feature.
My understanding of the 1st Gen ability to do this was the cables has some sort of clip to secure the cable over the pegs. The 2nd Gen do not, so one good bounce could have the tailgate falling, the load becoming unsecured, and a load of lumber all over the road.

I know a few here have done that, I hope I never find myself behind them hauling a load like that.
Toughsox likes this.

post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 PM

“The 2nd Gen do not, so one good bounce could have the tailgate falling, the load becoming unsecured, and a load of lumber all over the road.”. The pins have a good sized lip on them. I would just a cable tie to tighten the loop. Just my 2 cents. 😜

2017 laser blue WT extended cab 2WD

South central Indiana
Retired and love it!

V-6 with convenience and towing packages. Added Factory recovery loops (used), factory fog lights (used), tinted front windows, 5" stainless curved nerf bars, tri-fold tonneau cover, bed mat, mud flaps and gel seat cushions.

When posting, remember that it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post a stupid response and remove all doubt
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:32 PM

Garage
From what I remember, the track width of my C1500 was almost identical to the Colorado's. A 4x8 sheet would lay between the wheel wells of the C1500. The body was slightly wider overall, so the (narrower) wheels sat farther inboard on the C1500 compared to the fenders. Maybe the wider tires with the same track width pinch the wheel wells closer together. Maybe it is done on purpose to make you buy a Silverado. In theory, the Colorado should be close to fitting a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

2016 Colorado WT extended cab
2.5L, Laser Blue 4x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode