Steel Bumper List - Page 5 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I get the crumple zone thing. It has its job to do in the event of a collision.
I never thought a steel bumper would make anyone safer. These trucks, particularly the off roader and work trucks, do a lot of banging around. Bumpers often take the brunt of the occasional low speed nudge, bump and scrape. After enough "adventure", OEM looks like crap. Steel bumpers give us bumpers that work, have utility and take rough use. I do hope that no steel bumper would ever compromise safety.
Toughsox and 16WhiteColly like this.

All gave some, some gave all, protesters gave nothing.
11/17 Colorado 12T43 4X4 Z71 3.6 LGZ CCLB Deepwood green Pedal Commander (City-2) AMP Power Boards Weather Tech mud flaps GM Elastomeric floor liners Hellwig 7745 Sway Bar Mobil1 LV ATF-HP Transmission Drain Plug Currie CE9027 Gorilla Wheel locks
Please don't use PhotoBucket, You're wasting your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamscotticus View Post
I get the crumple zone thing. It has its job to do in the event of a collision.
I never thought a steel bumper would make anyone safer. These trucks, particularly the off roader and work trucks, do a lot of banging around. Bumpers often take the brunt of the occasional low speed nudge, bump and scrape. After enough "adventure", OEM looks like crap. Steel bumpers give us bumpers that work, have utility and take rough use. I do hope that no steel bumper would ever compromise safety.
I agree that the replacement bumpers don't play into the crumple zones engineered by GM, but then neither does my big ass battering ram type trailer hitch which has saved the rear end of every truck it's been on from damage from low speed impacts.
Toughsox likes this.

2018 Zr2 V6 Crew Cab Delivered 1/10/18
post #83 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:46 AM

Too thick of steel thickness in a custom front bumper and there are going to be problems, for sure. That said, full replacement front bumpers are rare anyways since the 2nd gen front end is sculpted like an SUV and plastic anyways.

As for the rear bumper, it's a no-brainer. Aftermarket is the only way to go. Sure, the Cornersteps are nice, but look at the posts on this very forum with sagging corners upon only mild use. If you get something like a Fabfours, you get both durability of a steel bumper and accessibility of the corner steps. The only time I've ever seen an OEM boast about their rear crash testing is in the brochure for the Ford PI(S) and PI(U), so I really don't think you're missing anything by upgrading the back end.
Toughsox likes this.

2018 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4 - not just your average lemon
2018 Canyon ECLB V6 4x4 - traded

Last edited by nubbins; 02-05-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbins View Post
Too thick of steel thickness in a custom front bumper and there are going to be problems, for sure. That said, full replacement front bumpers are rare anyways since the 2nd gen front end is sculpted like an SUV and plastic anyways.

As for the rear bumper, it's a no-brainer. Aftermarket is the only way to go. Sure, the Cornersteps are nice, but look at the posts on this very forum with sagging corners upon only mild use. If you get something like a Fabfours, you get both durability and accessibility. The only time I've ever seen an OEM boast about their rear crash testing is in the brochure for the Ford PI(S) and PI(U), so I really don't think you're missing anything by upgrading the back end.
My rear replacement bumper has corner steps and being made out of steel, they aren't going to sag anytime soon.

post #85 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Houston View Post
Yes, I hope to see some pictures. The reason I haven't picked a bumper yet is because pictures of them are so had to come by. Great idea!
Do a search for pictures of the, I think, Fab Fours Vengance Bumper that Toughsox has on his truck. To me, it is the best looking steel bumper yet, and nobody displays it better than him. He has a lot of good pictures of his truck all over the forum, and he’s very helpful if you have questions. Hope this helps.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics

Last edited by 16WhiteColly; 02-05-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #86 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:24 PM

I was rear ended in a low speed impact, so now Iím in the market for a rear bumper. Iím wanting to replace the damaged bumper with a black one to color match the truck.

I contacted NFab about the bumpers listed on their site and was told they wonít fit a Canyon. Iíve searched online and the only factory bumper I could find was chrome.

Anyone know where I can get a factory color matched bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #87 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think your best bet is to request a bare metal bumper to paint yourself. Just have it shipped to the paint and body shop. They would be the best guys to do the install too.

11/17 Colorado 12T43 4X4 Z71 3.6 LGZ CCLB Deepwood green Pedal Commander (City-2) AMP Power Boards Weather Tech mud flaps GM Elastomeric floor liners Hellwig 7745 Sway Bar Mobil1 LV ATF-HP Transmission Drain Plug Currie CE9027 Gorilla Wheel locks
post #88 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:18 PM

What do you guys think of the Black Horse bumpers?

2018 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 2WD in Graphite Metallic.
post #89 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I suspect Black Horse sells bumpers made by others, possibly foreign made, for $700. Not available. My shortcuts are old and may link to archived pages of old stock.
Look at this;

https://steelcraftautomotive.com/app...trear-bumpers/
carID for $589
https://www.carid.com/steelcraft/ele...-65-20450.html
Toughsox and Tom S. like this.

Last edited by Iamscotticus; 03-05-2019 at 09:42 PM.
post #90 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamscotticus View Post
I think your best bet is to request a bare metal bumper to paint yourself. Just have it shipped to the paint and body shop. They would be the best guys to do the install too.

Thanks. Any idea where I could get one? I guess call the dealership and request a bare bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #91 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If you want a steel bumper, I would shop either RealTruck(forum vendor), AutoAnything (forum vendor), CarID(forum vendor), bumperonly or bumpersuperstore.
You can do a lot of shopping looking at bumpers not in stock. These large volume dealers will have stock.
I wouldn't have the dealer shoot it, heck no.
Consider a truck bed lining on it. Its a bumper, its gonna get hit!

Last edited by Iamscotticus; 03-05-2019 at 11:03 PM.
post #92 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:46 PM

Donít know if it has been mentioned, but I think Relentless Fab makes the nicest functional bumper for the Colorado.
F8LZ71, Hunter62 and Tom S. like this.

2018 ZR2 Diesel
post #93 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Don’t know if it has been mentioned, but I think Relentless Fab makes the nicest functional bumper for the Colorado.
Agreed. It's on my list. :)

https://www.relentlessfabrication.co...r2-rear-bumper

Craigslist is often a good place to find OEM bumpers. You can easily have a body shop paint match it for you.
Toughsox and 8lugminimax like this.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - Eibach 2.7" Front Lift | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1.5" AutoSprings add-a-leaf + 1" rear lift blocks | DV8 887 17◊9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram

Last edited by F8LZ71; 03-06-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #94 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8LZ71 View Post
Agreed. It's on my list. :)

https://www.relentlessfabrication.co...r2-rear-bumper

Craigslist is often a good place to find OEM bumpers. You can easily have a body shop paint match it for you.
Has a decent price too. Plus the option of a spare tire carrier for those interested. Nice find!
F8LZ71 likes this.

post #95 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Has a decent price too. Plus the option of a spare tire carrier for those interested. Nice find!
The biggest issue with this bumper is it relocates the hitch mount so it is located behind the license plate which is problematic for those who tow a lot. The reason it does this is because it allows you to remove the factory low-hanging hitch for improved ground clearance by 5.5" which is massive for an off-road rig.
rynoman03 likes this.

2018 Canyon SLE CCSB 3.6L - Eibach 2.7" Front Lift | Icon 2.0 rear shocks | 1.5" AutoSprings add-a-leaf + 1" rear lift blocks | DV8 887 17◊9 wheels | Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70/17 | Custom bed rack |Tepui Baja Kukenam RTT | Morimoto HID | Tyger step bars | LED bed lighting | Midland MXT115 GMRS | Nilight 60w LED 4" pods | RotopaX, Maxsa traction mats and Recovery Gear | ZR2 skids |
Build Thread

Instagram
post #96 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:19 AM

I actually like that bumper style! Not too keen on the hitch being hidden though. What happens to the factory hitch?
F8LZ71 likes this.

2018 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 2WD in Graphite Metallic.
post #97 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The biggest issue with this bumper is it relocates the hitch mount so it is located behind the license plate which is problematic for those who tow a lot. The reason it does this is because it allows you to remove the factory low-hanging hitch for improved ground clearance by 5.5" which is massive for an off-road rig.
I wonder putting the Hitch behind the license plate messes with the towing capacity. I know the ZR2 is only rated for 5k lbs but I would like to ensure that this number is not further reduced.
F8LZ71 likes this.
post #98 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyfamily View Post
I actually like that bumper style! Not too keen on the hitch being hidden though. What happens to the factory hitch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarth09 View Post
I wonder putting the Hitch behind the license plate messes with the towing capacity. I know the ZR2 is only rated for 5k lbs but I would like to ensure that this number is not further reduced.
If I remember correctly it doesn't lower the towing capacity because it ties into the same mounting points but with more bolts? @ssm1tty can probably answer that for us.

More info here:
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/...-bumper-2.html

Build Thread

Instagram

Last edited by F8LZ71; 03-06-2019 at 11:29 AM.
post #99 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyfamily View Post
I have not investigated this, but I would assume that the new bumper/hitch from Relentless must also replace the factory crossmember that the factory hitch is attached to.

I still am leaning toward the Fab Four version that maintains the step feature on the bumper. Should be fairly easy to install. I just keep hoping for a coupon. If that 10% off coupon from a month ago had applied to that bumper, I would have purchased. It would probably be sitting in my garage waiting for better weather to install, but I would have purchased it then. I know, 10% isn't all that much, but when the system refused to accept the coupon, I was so disappointed, I decided to wait. Figured by now, someone else would have hit me from the rear the way my days were going.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #100 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the Rentless Fab recommendation! I didn't know about it. Added to the Bumper List!
Toughsox and F8LZ71 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode