My Buying Eperience (with some pontification) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 9Likes
  • 5 Post By Tucson Bill
  • 3 Post By greco2003
  • 1 Post By mkersting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My Buying Eperience (with some pontification)

I ordered my truck on 4/17, and picked it up yesterday. (pontification) Before ordering I did a little research. You need to know what you think the most you would be willing to pay is, before you ever talk to the dealer. For me it was MSRP minus $2250 GM rebate. I came to $30190 for my configuration. Right in the middle of the KKB fair market range for my region. I've seen a number of posts complaining about not being able to get their dealer to sign up for a firm price before the truck arrives. I concluded that I didn't want a "firm" price, but rather a "not to exceed" price, since there were a number of discounts around and I could expect there would be some available when the truck arrived. (/pontification). When I ordered the dealer gave me a price of $29947.27, slightly under the GM pricing. With a $13000 trade in allowance for my Prius that rolled up to an OTD cost of $19360.

While I was waiting for the truck, the dealer actually posted my truck on their web page. By my truck I mean my exact configuration showing a status of "in transit" and a web price after $5000 in discounts of $27440. By applying the fees from the original pricing sheet and recalculating sales tax I calculated an OTD cost of $16491. That what I used as my target cost.
When I checked the web price before I went to sign the deal, the dealer discount had been reduced from $3000 to $2500.
So I adjusted my target to 16891. (pontification) I reasoned that by their terms I was eligible for the discounts advertised and I would surely get them. By this time we were well below the bottom of the KKB fair market range and about 10% below invoice, so I figured I could live with it. (/pontification)

So we sat down with the salesman yesterday he smiled and said I've go good news.
We were able to give you a better price. He wrote a number that was $200 less than the ordered price. I guess it stunned me enough that I didn't lose my cool. I told him that I was expecting to see a much lower number than that. He asked what I expected to see? I said that I expected to see the pricing currently on the website which featured $4500 in discounts. He said well you're already getting a discount in the original number. No, I said that's GM money separate from your discounts. He said he'd have go check -- that he didn't think I'd qualify since I ordered the truck. I reminded him that the truck priced on line was the truck that we were talking about. He went to see the sales manager. In about ten minutes he returned with a price of $27723.
Actually $217 less than the web price. They apparently forgot to remove their original offer before they applied the online discounts. I said where do I sign.

(pontification) When they produced the purchase agreement for signature, the doc fee had gone from $75 to $399, and a 287 fee for Vehicle Theft registration that had been rejected at order time was added back in. This adjusted the OTD cost to $16939. $48 over my target -- plenty close enough. My tip, you can get irate about these add ons, but if you're getting what you need, then let it go. Know what your bottom line is and keep your eye on it. The stuff in between is just folderol that lets the dealer rationalize to you what deal you're getting. I don't really care how I get there if I get there. (/pontification)

Is this a great deal? Dunno, but I'm happy and the dealer's happy, and that is the true art of deal making. It sounds like this was a real hassle, but in reality it was always cordial, and the whole negotiation took less time than it's taken to write about it.

Last edited by Tucson Bill; 05-24-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:51 PM

Garage
Hope your liking your new truck. A good deal is one your happy with.
Dorsey, 16WhiteColly and MasiJC like this.

2017 Chevy Colorado LT CCSB 2.5L 4cyl, Lazer blue with Bose, navigation, kicker vss, IBoard running boards, Z71 wheels, fog lamps, Drl relocation harness, led fog lights, high and low beam headlights, switchbacks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:37 AM

That's way too much math homework for me...too early on a Sat. Glad you zero'd in the price & congrats on the new truck!

The "Iceman" Cometh
MSGT, USAF (Retired)
18 Colorado LT Redline 4X4 Crew (Silver/Ice-Ice Baby)
Born in the US of A!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:16 AM

It's nice to see that someone else does as much homework as I do. Glad you are happy with the deal, sounds like you got a good one.

Sold-2004 GMC Canyon SLE
2wd CCSB, 3.5L I5, Silver Birch
A.R.E. Cap

2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
4X4 CCSB, 3.6L V6, Black
tow package
Chevy spray in bedliner
OEM Tonneau
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:22 AM

Yeah, I always figure if I order a truck, I'm negotiating a $$ amount they're giving me off of MSRP BEFORE applying any GM discounts that exist when my truck is actually delivered.

You can shop around to any dealer in your area to see who will give you the best deal, since you can order a new truck from literally anyone.

I've always insisted on being VERY explicit on EVERYTHING included in the OTD price so there's zero surprise when I take delivery.

I despise F&#*ing around with dealerships if there's any goofy stuff going on. There are too many dealerships who will play it straight with you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:35 AM

Garage
I wish they would do away with the rebates applying at time of delivery. In the middle of the year there's no real reason for that. They're getting rid of inventory either way. It's not like they're going to shut down the plant for an hour if you don't buy a truck!

Being able to order a truck exactly as you want it is one of the huge advantages they have over some of the Japanese models of cars and trucks. But they eliminate a lot of that advantage by making the price you pay a lottery due to rebates applying at time of delivery. I would have loved to order a truck from the factory, but with roughly $6,000 of rebates available in March I didn't want to risk it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I would have loved to order a truck from the factory, but with roughly $6,000 of rebates available in March I didn't want to risk it.

I'm not really a gambler. You just have to ask yourself what you'd be willing to pay to get the truck you really want vs. one the dealer wants to sell.
It worked out okay, but I do know that if the dealer hadn't listed my truck on his web site he might just as easily have told me there are no discounts on ordered vehicles and I'd have been stuck. Like you, I looked at all the trucks listed with $6000 discounts, but they were all either base models or high end trim with all options. It was complicated by the fact that I'm an extended cab kind of guy, which really limited my choices in my area.

Sooo, I rolled the dice knowing I'd get a truck with the features I want and without the features I didn't want, and definitely without the $700 of dealer added (i.e. useless and unwanted) options.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Bill View Post
I'm not really a gambler. You just have to ask yourself what you'd be willing to pay to get the truck you really want vs. one the dealer wants to sell.
Or the one that GM wants to build--another issue-packaging options together or requiring X to get Y.

I did have two other options--two nicely optioned 2018 Canyons whose only faults besides their vintage were having Nav and/or the B&O sound system (neither of which I had an interest in). But for those items the trucks were exactly as I would have ordered them from the factory. I didn't go that route though because the GMC rebates (and dealer discount) were much lower though at the time, which highlighted the risk of ordering from the factory.

In the end I didn't get everything I wanted (particularly leather seats), so it was a compromise, but I also spent only about 75% of what I expected to spend and maybe half what I would have spent on a full size. If the rebates had been based on time of purchase rather than time of delivery, perhaps I would have spent more! GM could have had a higher profit from my transaction. And at this point in time their inventory would have been exactly the same.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Or the one that GM wants to build--another issue-packaging options together or requiring X to get Y.

Yeah, the days of alacarte options are pretty much done. When I ordered my 1978 Buick there were no packages. We literally went down a list of a hundred or so options and picked the ones we wanted. I can't imagine what that would do to the cost of a vehicle now. It is pretty hard to understand how some things end up in certain packages though.

Last edited by Tucson Bill; 05-28-2019 at 04:49 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Bill View Post
Yeah, the days of alacarte options are pretty much done. When I ordered my 1978 Buick there were no packages. We literally went down a list of a hundred or so options and picked the ones we wanted. I can't imagine what that would to the cost of a vehicle now. It is pretty hard to understand how some things end up in certain packages though.
Even at that, I believe GM vehicles are still the most customizable from the factory.

My other car is a Subaru, and the options within the trim levels are minimal.
Goodspike likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkersting View Post
Even at that, I believe GM vehicles are still the most customizable from the factory.

My other car is a Subaru, and the options within the trim levels are minimal.
Ford is pretty good too.

Subaru typically has about four trim levels. For the 2019 Outback if you wanted to go with the highest trim level you had to be willing to accept the ugliest leather seats ever produced. I don't typically make decisions based on appearances, but I can fully understand why the wife didn't opt for that trim level. And she did that even though I was buying the car for her! I don't remember what else that trim level offered, other than the one thing I liked--the roof rack was smaller and less noticeable. But on the topic at hand, roof racks on Outbacks are not optional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode