ZR2 Diesel impossible to find? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

ZR2 Diesel impossible to find?

Anyone have any tips on locating one of these? I am interested in one,but can't even locate any (Memphis TN area or surrounding cities like Nashville, etc).'

I'm interested in a ZR2 but starting to wonder if the diesel is even worth the hassle and $$$ to track down. I estimate with a 30-cent difference / gallon of gas, combined with a 5mpg average increase in fuel efficiency, that it'll cost me about $2000 extra in fuel over 100k miles, to go with a V6 instead of a diesel.

But that's WITHOUT considering the very real increase in cost of a 2.8L diesel -- almost certainly > $2000 difference.

Thoughts on either?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Donít buy the diesel if the only factor is trying to save money. Spending more to save money doesnít really work out because of how long it takes to recover the initial cost.

Do you have any other need for a diesel, like towing or long road trips? If not then Iíd just go with gas. I bought my diesel go tow with, if I didnít tow then I probably wouldíve...well, I probably wouldnít have bought another truck and wouldíve gone with an SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gman21 likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM

I had to drive an 1:45 to get one as non existed in central VA. I found them by going to the chevy site and using their inventory locator and trying zip codes in other cities. seams limited to about a 50 mi radius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah was interesting, the official Chevy site didnt even yield any results, which was kinda crazy.

But yeah I think it sounds like others have same thoughts -- unless needs warrant it, the increase in price of a diesel will not justify the fuel savings over the life of the vehicle.

Looks like I should prob stick to finding what's way more available -- Blue ZR2 V6
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:46 PM

I got the diesel so I wouldn't have to go to the gas station every week... oh and forgot to mention lol also to tow my 14+3'v trailer :D
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:12 PM

This is a local deal to me.
Black ZR2 midnight edition diesel for 41K https://www.koonstysonschevybuickgmc...splacement=2.8

Blue ZR2 midnight edition GAS for 39k https://www.koonstysonschevybuickgmc...bodyColor=Blue

They also have 4 Bison's. All gas for 43K https://www.koonstysonschevybuickgmc...ison%20Edition

2019 white Bison.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Xwd

The option cost of the diesel is a known factor. It's listed right on the window sticker, or on the Chevy Truck configurator online at chevrolet.com

Beyond that you're looking at a very long ROI/ return on investment to recover. If you're doing it for fuel economy, you're in it for the LONG haul.

The diesel in these trucks is really about how and where you like your power. Down low and grunty, or do you like it fast and sporty (V6?). The diesel returns good fuel economy, but you spend a lot of money being able to brag about that number.

2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Duramax Extended Cab
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:29 PM

I will chime in and say I think the diesel is by far the more "fun and satisfying" motor to have, I am not sure how much value you place in that, personally, I place a lot. This coming from someone that has both.

2016 CCLB Colorado V6 Z71
2017 ECLB Colorado Diesel ZR2
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked View Post
Black ZR2 midnight edition diesel for 41K https://www.koonstysonschevybuickgmc...splacement=2.8

Blue ZR2 midnight edition GAS for 39k https://www.koonstysonschevybuickgmc...bodyColor=Blue

They also have 4 Bison's. All gas for 43K https://www.koonstysonschevybuickgmc...ison%20Edition
that's one of the dealerships that put every discount on it to get you in. it includes stuff like student, military, conquest etc.. it also leaves out shipping (~ +1000). i ended up having to go to 3 dealers before i found one i felt comfortable with. My favorite one did the same thing for pricing and also had a minimum of 1000 of dealer (usually 1800) of dealer installed "add-ons" they wanted $250 for nitrogen and $400 to tint 2 windows. there was no option to get it without the dealer stuff.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked View Post

They charge a $799 processing fee! What a rip-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wc View Post
that's one of the dealerships that put every discount on it to get you in. it includes stuff like student, military, conquest etc..
The site above specifically says that college and military discounts are not included in that price/discount.

Quote:
All prices exclude tax, tags, and processing fee of $799. WOW prices include all applicable rebates and incentives. Additional rebates and incentives, such as Military or College Graduate programs, may apply to those who qualify.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for feedback guys, I think I've come to my senses and def going with a V6.

For background....

* previous 2 vehicles a 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 and a 2013 Accord Sport 4D (4cyl CVT, ughhhh)
* lots of cooking/BBQing ---> tow needs versus loading up my wife's CRV
* future need of a trailer
* light off roading

Now, that last part you probably laugh at -- ZR2 for light off-road? I gotta be honest there --- I don't like the Z71 that much compared to the ZR2. The looks are just so much better, that I'm willing to trade off MPG and a few thousand for the ZR2.
16WhiteColly likes this.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The site above specifically says that college and military discounts are not included in that price/discount.
misread it, thanks.

depending on how soon you're looking to buy, conquest (if you own a non-gm and it was almost $2k) is set to expire at the end of the month and was a big reason i pull the trigger. I'm not sure what next months incentives are. I'm happy with the diesel, same mpg as my 135 and i don't have to buy premium.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Garage
I just checked and there are 12 ZR2 diesels in various configurations including one grounded demo. All crew cab. A couple more if you don't mind driving to Kentucky.

-Eric

I manage one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in the country. If you're having problems with a dealer or have a question about something, I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by Eric Smit; 04-22-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinOfEvil View Post
I will chime in and say I think the diesel is by far the more "fun and satisfying" motor to have, I am not sure how much value you place in that, personally, I place a lot. This coming from someone that has both.
I only have the diesel, and only for about two months, but I'm surprised by how well the engine drives with ordinary use. From a stop light with just light throttle it will accelerate faster than what most drivers accelerate. That said though, if push came to shove and another car tried to accelerate faster than normal, the diesel would lose. But it's just a very comfortable relaxing drive. It's also amazingly quiet at freeway speed.

I bought it to tow, but also really enjoy it for normal driving.

Also with diesel being about 20 cents cheaper than gas now, and the diesel getting better mileage than the wife's Outback, we're using it a lot for longer drives. During the winter months that will probably flip flop if the price difference reverses.
404 Not Found and BTombaugh like this.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wc View Post
I had to drive an 1:45 to get one as non existed in central VA. I found them by going to the chevy site and using their inventory locator and trying zip codes in other cities. seams limited to about a 50 mi radius
Go to Google Maps to find dealers and then search the individual dealer's website. The Chevy and GMC sites don't list all the inventory, even if you ask for a specific build.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:09 PM

Garage
Or I can search vehicle locator and tell you where every single one in the country is. Might be quicker that way.

-Eric

I manage one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in the country. If you're having problems with a dealer or have a question about something, I'd be happy to help.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:53 PM

White Denali crew cab long box, all trailering options. I canít find one. But I really wish the interior was something other than black. Itís hot in Florida 10 months out and of the year. I did see one in Alabama last week on auto trader but it had been listed for 133 days. Looking at price, I know why.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:25 PM

Is there a way to tell long bed from short bed by vin.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 AM

Funny you mention this. I had the very same problem. Western NY State. I went to 9 different dealers. It was bizarre, I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. ZR2's everywhere but not a diesel to be had. It got even more bizarre, salespeople said "we will NEVER get a diesel" unless you put money down & buy one ! They were rude & obnoxious & flat out told me "you don't want a diesel....you want what we have on the lot." What kind of crap is that ? We ended up finding a used one that the owners daughter was driving & used it for a 2 day test drive. I picked the youngest salesman & told him I want to see if it will pull our 18' 3500 lb camper up some steep hills & said if it does good, we will order a new 2019. It pulled it great up the hills, so we ordered a 2019.

Chevrolet REALLY needs to tell their dealers that there should be a few diesel ZR2's in every geographic area, for those of us that need the extra 100 lb ft of torque.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019RedZR2 View Post
Funny you mention this. I had the very same problem. Western NY State. I went to 9 different dealers. It was bizarre, I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. ZR2's everywhere but not a diesel to be had. It got even more bizarre, salespeople said "we will NEVER get a diesel" unless you put money down & buy one !
I just checked the dealer I bought from, and their truck inventory was down a lot since when I bought. They had 12 2019 Colorados, half diesels but none ZR2s. Three LTs and three ZR1s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode