• 1 Post By Rjsully2
  • 3 Post By Iceman62
  • 1 Post By Iamscotticus
  • 1 Post By thegraham77
  • 1 Post By TLAR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Spare Tire Heat Shield

Does the exhaust really get hot enough to mess with the spare tire? My 18 Colorado has the heat shield and it stands out bad. I'd like to remove it or paint it with high heat black paint to help it blend in. Has anyone doe either idea?
16WhiteColly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftis09 View Post
Does the exhaust really get hot enough to mess with the spare tire? My 18 Colorado has the heat shield and it stands out bad. I'd like to remove it or paint it with high heat black paint to help it blend in. Has anyone doe either idea?
I'm in the same boat.. subbed. I wish there was a way to suck the tire up more into the bottom of the bed so it's not as visible. And no I don't want to put it in the bed..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:51 PM

Removed mine when I installed a full size 33' spare 36 thousand miles ago. No issues

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
F8LZ71 likes this.

2016 CC EB Colorado Midnight Edition 2.8L Duramax 4x4
Fab Four Premium Front Bumper / Winch
Mann 200 Provent
1.5" Wheel Spacers w/ 275/70/R18 KO2's On the Midnight edition Rims
5.5" Lift From Zone w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks in rear,Fox 2.5 Front Shocks w/ DSC Adjusters
Spray In Bed Liner, Full Leather, Bose, Nav, Sidesteps, Weathertech Floormates, Tuxedo bed cover, HiLift Jack
BajaKits Upper Control Arms
Afe Turbo back exhaust, Afe Black hot and cold pipes
ProFab Intake pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:45 PM

Several owners have posted about a larger tire, no heat shield and no problems. I wanted to get the spare out from under the truck and use a Hitchgate Offset carrier.

2017 Colorado ZR2 Deepwood Green Metallic, Ext Cab 3.6 DI DOHC V6 (LGZ) 8-speed auto (8L45).
Midwest Overland Ind, 589 Fab, Warn, GMPP, Trifecta, Nitro Gear, Timbren, Supermod Skidz, Rhino Rack, Wilco Offset, Smittybilt, Ultra Ranger.

Illegitimi non carborundum
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:55 PM

IMO...get the HT black paint fm auto store and give it a few coats...then it will blend in.
JeffC, F8LZ71 and HenryT like this.

The "Iceman" Cometh
MSGT, USAF (Retired)
18 Colorado LT Redline 4X4 Crew (Silver/Ice-Ice Baby)
Born in the US of A!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjsully2 View Post
a full size 33' spare
33' is a really large tire lmao

'18 V6 ZR2 Summit | GMPP Cat-Back Exhaust
OEM Spare Carrier | Bose | Bed Lighting
STEDI 30" ST3K & C4 Pods | RC & CBI mounts
Baja Designs S2 Sport Amber Chase lights
STEDI Copperhead H11 LED low beams
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:28 AM

If you have a gasser, I don't see an issue. If you have a non-deleted diesel, the spare tire may heat up during a regen. I am guessing they were concerned with the rubber compound in the spare tire getting heat cycled from the exhaust and changing the characteristics of the rubber compound in the spare tire in one localized area of the tire. Probably overkill and realistically has no substantial effect on the tire. If you're worried about one spot of the tire getting heat cycled all the time just rotate the tire a little every oil change.

2016 Duramax CCSB Trail Boss

5.5" Zone Lift
285/70R17 Duratracs
1.25" BORA Spacers
Anzo Headlights
Eagle Eyes taillights
GDE Tune
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Garage
I initially turned my nose up at the 'Rados over the bulbous spare. I thought it would get caught on high points offroading. That would suck. And it looks like an engineering afterthought.
When I chose the 'Rado for my next truck, reducing the spare profile was a high priority, especially because it interfered with my totally awesome Hellwig sway bar, at least for me it did.
My solution was to get the 18X4.5 "compact spare" GM22890102 that was being supplied with the 4 bangers and WTs.
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...spare-22890102

I couldn't get one from any parts seller or the local dealer parts dude. I think they're discontinued.
I had to lurk around till somebody sold me one (you know who you are, THANK YOU!)

The donut really cleans up the underside. If you look at 'Rados and don't see a spare, it probably has the donut.
I will still throw my full size spare in the bed for extended trips as the default.
Even if you don't need this compact spare, you might still consider getting one if your a long term owner. Its cast aluminum and a very odd size made for the 'Rados; you won't find anything else like it later on. Maybe a steel version if you're lucky. Having said all this, I do feel they went too thin on the donut. I think it could be an inch wider and still not protrude much. Maybe there is no rubber for that?
F8LZ71 likes this.

All gave some, some gave all, protesters gave nothing.
11/17 Colorado 12T43 4X4 Z71 3.6 LGZ CCLB Deepwood green Pedal Commander (City-2) AMP Power Boards Weather Tech mud flaps GM Elastomeric floor liners Hellwig 7745 Sway Bar Mobil1 LV ATF-HP Transmission Drain Plug Currie CE9027 Gorilla Wheel locks
Please don't use PhotoBucket, You're wasting your time
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 PM

I washed, sanded and painted the heat shield and the exhaust pipe from the heat shield back. Mainly because I put a black rip on the exhaust pipe and the black/lighter stainless looking color side by side looked stupid. Used black heat paint from the parts store. Gives it a lot cleaner look.
F8LZ71 likes this.

2016 4x4 Ext cab All Terrain Canyon
Cyber grey metallic
Tow package, Airaid CAI
Superskidz #1-4
2" RC level, AS dif drop
Westin HDX drop steps
Pedal Commander, Curt Triflex brake controller
Line-X, BAKFlip MX4
589 HD Shock Skids
Prothane end links, Sway bar drop kit
STEDI H11 LED Copper Head low beams
STEDI ST3K 31.5 LED light bar
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Garage
If you use your truck as a "Car" the"Doh" nut is fine... But haul weight, or a trailer,you need the full size spare! My friend found a deal on 4 wheels/Tires alum Colorado WT 4 for $400, with tires had 630 miles on them He Is going to give me one of his Colorado OEM Base Steel wheel for a Full size spare.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 PM

No need for high temp paint, regular gloss black on the shield has worked just fine for me.
F8LZ71 likes this.

2016 Brownstone LT Colorado Crew Cab Short Bed
3.6L 4x2 Non-Bose w/ Kicker upgrade
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 09:36 AM

If there was not a need for the shield, GM would not put one on there. There may be some long uphill incline pulling a trailer where the exhaust temperature might get high but there definitely is a reason that it is there. I painted mine with black VHT header paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode