2021 Colorado / Canyon Info? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGkyle View Post
Am i the only one that likes the 8 speed and thinks the trans shutter is affecting a lot lower percentage of trucks than people on here make it seem?
Nope. I think it's just right for the V6 and matches the power band well. Problems are always exaggerated on forums, but it's true they are doing a lot of flushes with the most recent TSB (18-NA-355). Worked great on mine!

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 CCSB 4X4
USCGkyle likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ppdiaporama
It all depends what you have today and how much you want or have to change vehicle ... but waiting for something that is uncertain is a recipe for guaranteed disappointement.

If stiff seats, a dark/hot interior and potential for transmission issues and the tought of soon not driving the latest and greatest is too much, then perhaps the Colorado isn't the right vehicle.

2019 GMC Canyon SLE Diesel Elevation CCLB --- stock for now ...
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Am i the only one that likes the 8 speed and thinks the trans shutter is affecting a lot lower percentage of trucks than people on here make it seem?
No it is safe to assume the majority are fine. The fact is people only post mostly when they are upset or having a problem with the transmission.

GM is also not the only one having similar issues as shudder is an issue with even non GM transmissions in some cases.

The more gears, the more complicated and the more things that the transmissions are expected to do has made more issues come up.

It used to be we had two basic transmission fluids. Now look around and see just how many types are now out there.

Moisture has been a problem in some cases and now that is the latest claim by GM. Not sure if it is true or not but the latest fix appears to work in most cases so far. Right now we just need to watch.

Audi has moisture issues and it came from the transmission cooler in the radiator. It would have a slow seep and it would then shudder.

I had a totally different issue on my transmission with a seal issue. They replace it and to be honest it is smooth as glass right now less the cold first to second shift in the morning in the winter. The rest of the time it is good.

Transmissions have been funky since the Turbo 400 and 350.

I just loved my transaxle in my Pontiac when the lock up solenoid stuck, a common issue. It would stall the car if you stopped. You kind of had to neutral drop it to get it going. I was able to nurse it home with only 2 stops on a 2 hour trip home and fix it. At least I did not have to drop the Transaxle to fix it like in some cars.
OperaDude likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Lots of stuff in this thread lol....where to begin??

So about the 2021 models. No...there is nothing out there. In fact, if the predictions are true about a new generation coming in the 2022 or 2023 model yeah, then I suspect we may not get a refreshed 2nd generation truck at all which is a bummer. That said...it is still completely possible. It is normal now for GM to refresh a model just a few years out from the new generation, so if 2023 will be the new generation then 2021 could be a refresh. There have been zero sightings of a new generation (save for one TFL page months ago that seems to spot a global Colorado testing here in the U.S. Maybe that was some kind of mule?). If mules are sighted, that indicates a good 2 - 4 years out from reveal, whereas if a camo'd vehicle is spotted then usually 1 to 2 years out from reveal. A camo'd refresh on the other hand is quicker, usually resulting in the next model year being the refreshed look.

As for interior options. Yeah I'm kind of in that boat also. I'd like to see a two toned option outside of the ZL1 model, which I happen to think the two toned seats look nice. Otherwise, you get all black, or you get all grey (or tan in the Canyon). I will give props to the ZL1 and All Terrain for their two toned seats, but that's it. The rest are kind of bland. I kind of expect GM to up the ante in the next generation. The Denali trim will be even more upscale (read...more expensive...no doubt) but I think Chevy may also offer a High Country trim on the Colorado. In the end, this is kind of nit picking.

I don't like the seats much in my 2015 with gray leather, but I've driven newer models with the slight seat revisions and liked them better. Not in love with them, but better.

The transmission issues. I have yet to read of someone going back with issues after the very latest TSB or a 2019 model that was produced after Jan 2019. I'm not saying I'm convinced the new fluid fixed the shudder, but it is looking a bit more promising. Yes not everyone has issues with the 8 speed I'm sure, but there is no denying that it is a huge issue and affects a HUGE number of people. I know 3 people with 2017 or 18 models (mine is a 2015) and each of them had had issues or had their TC replaced. Also, just a little research shows this is an issue for the entire line of trucks/cars that have used the 8 speed. So no...not every single person has had issues I'm sure, but the problem is undeniable and just sad really. I pray that the late 2019 and now 2020 trucks with the new fluid are better....which brings me to...

...the 10 speed. I think GM is slowing building up enough production of this unit so that they can use it everywhere. This year they expanded the 10 speed further across their full size lineup, and are also including it in certain cars with the V6. We had hoped the same would happen with the midsize twins, but nope. I still think there is a good chance we could see the 10 speed before the next generation in these trucks. I see some comments here thinking that more speeds will result in the same issues, but I think that is not the case. The 8 speed transmission itself is pretty good...the issue lies with the torque converter and the tuning based on the large amount of things I've read. I have not read of this issue with the 10 speed.

I think GM knows their mid-size trucks are still easily competitive with all of the other offerings....except for perhaps getting a bit stale in the looks department (FYI, I don't think the Ranger looks any better, but at least its new lol). They may just decide there is no reason, or maybe not enough profit right now in the segment to warrant a refresh.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM

I don't follow transmission development closely, but isn't the 10 speed design from a traditional in-line engine/transmission versus the 9 speed for the sideways engine/transaxle?

Can you fit a 10 speed in sideways in a car?

I guess the 10 speed could go in a Vette or Camaro.

What I want is a CVT that can handle the torque of a truck. Then we will be talking, infinite gears!

(What the heck, if you are gonna dream, dream big.)

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I don't follow transmission development closely, but isn't the 10 speed design from a traditional in-line engine/transmission versus the 9 speed for the sideways engine/transaxle?

Can you fit a 10 speed in sideways in a car?

I guess the 10 speed could go in a Vette or Camaro.

What I want is a CVT that can handle the torque of a truck. Then we will be talking, infinite gears!

(What the heck, if you are gonna dream, dream big.)
10 speed is generally for trucks and sports cars. The 9 speed is for small to midsize CUV based platforms. The 10 speed is already being used in the Camaro with anything having the V6 and up. The 10 speed is not in the Corvette due to size limitations.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:27 PM

I'm a little confused as I just got my 2019 Colorado LT and it has a grey interior. There was an option between two interior choices. It is an extended cab not the crew cab so maybe that makes a difference. Called Jet black/dark ash. Light enough to be concerned about showing stains. The same combo was available in leather.
Maybe it's different here in Canada
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190611_171920.jpg (220.9 KB, 22 views)
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:

Damn straight. I have heard so many times around here about how significant the transmission issue is. Is it really? Only GM can tell us but we all know they won't. I'd be willing to bet that it is a whole lot less than many think.
hand foot maneuver likes this.

....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

2019 Colorado LT CC SB V-6 4x4 Redline Edition Tow Pkg and Auto Locking Differential

GM Performance Exhaust
TonnoPro Hard cover backflip
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCatcher View Post
Damn straight. I have heard so many times around here about how significant the transmission issue is. Is it really? Only GM can tell us but we all know they won't. I'd be willing to bet that it is a whole lot less than many think.
TLDR: Problems are real but certainly don't affect everyone.

It's true that your going to mostly read about problems on any forum. People aren't typically going to pop in to tell us how great their truck drives (although it happens here sometimes because our trucks are awesome). As someone with persistent shudder and hard shift problems after many service visits, I'll continue to hate on the 8-speed. That said, the purpose of the forums is for a discussion, not a venting outlet. Other folks like you guys commenting in response that you have no issues is a great thing and provides necessary balance. I'm glad not everyone is dealing with this horrid issue.

Drive on!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
hand foot maneuver likes this.

2017 Canyon CCSB V6, SLE All Terrain, Black
- Eibach Pro Truck Kit @ 2.7" - Zone 1.5" Body Lift - XD135 Grenade 17x8.5 +0 Offset - BFG All-Terrain KO2 285/70r17 - Trifecta Advantage+ Tune
- OEM Front and Mid Skids - 30" RC Curved Light Bar - LED Bed Lighting - Air Dam Delete - Access Vanish Tonneau - Magnum RT Steps
- LED interior, license and reverse lighting - Yellow LED fogs

- Planned: bed rack, full spare mount
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 PM

The only thing i know for sure about the 2021 is that it will slot in between the 2020 and 2022.

Far too early to see what will happen, they wait and watch the competition and sales both. Theymay change strategies all of a sudden if a new development happens with the competition, theyll respond to the gladiators success or lack of, however it turns out, etc.

I live where its very hot and my interior is not a problem. Have had black interior on 2 of my 3 vehicles over the last 15 years without issue. Tan gets just as hot as black.

Used to feel gipped about only getting the 6AT with the diesel, but now it seems there are enough issues with the other ATs that im relieved. Certainly hasnt given me issues, but its a bit harsh and crude.

With all the new e truck and hybrid news around, id bet they have cold feet about pulling any sort of trigger since the market could change drastically at any time. Who knows who will pluck the next marketing fruit...electric? Hybrid? Diesel? Petrol still reigning supreme? Who knows.

2016 Colo Z71 4X4, CCLB Duramax Cyber Grey
2017 All Terrain Bobcat camper.
Air dam delete, Bilstien 5100's w/ 2" Front setting. Firestone Ride Rites.
Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus LT265 70 17. Hypertech Speedo Calibrator.
Stubby Jr 2" antenna. Weathertech floor liners, mudflaps, seat covers, and window deflectors. Camerasource back up camera for camper.
Lots of maps and dreams and climbing gear.
Orca 26L, Coleman Steel Belted 54L.
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TILAM 1 View Post
I'm a little confused as I just got my 2019 Colorado LT and it has a grey interior. There was an option between two interior choices. It is an extended cab not the crew cab so maybe that makes a difference. Called Jet black/dark ash. Light enough to be concerned about showing stains. The same combo was available in leather.
Doubt its different, prob just peoples wording when they describe. Same on mine, largely black interior with the grey hex pattern fabric inserts. They hold dust and sand and crumbs like crazy, annoying, but weather tech seat covers eliminated that issue and kept everything ive spilled off the seat😉 got em in grey and it brightens it up in there a good bit, like you can find something if you drop it, not just a black hole in daytime.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.

Stubby Jr 2" antenna. Weathertech floor liners, mudflaps, seat covers, and window deflectors. Camerasource back up camera for camper.
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TILAM 1 View Post

It is available in the LT Crew Cab in the Luxury Pkg with leather option.
I have the Jet Black/Dark Ash leather in our 2017 Colorado LT. - - -
" - - Luxury package, which includes heated, power-adjustable front seats and other features to spruce up the interior; however, additional leather seating surfaces and the LT Convenience package (remote start, rear-window defogger and sliding section, and EZ Lift & Lower tailgate) - "

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-LT Rear Seat Leather.jpg (86.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-LT-144-876x535.jpg (107.0 KB, 34 views)

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
14,600 Miles 5-28-2019 382 Engine Hrs.
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 06-13-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 PM

Ill be damned, didnt know you could get the grey

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand foot maneuver View Post
Ill be damned, didnt know you could get the grey
Yes, I am amazed that many dealers will order the Luxury Pkg and Convenience Pkg, but still go the basic black with the seats. When those two packages are ordered you can then get the Dark Ashen Grey seats, dash accent and door panel accents.
And the seats can be either cloth or leather.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-LT-140-876x535.jpg (109.5 KB, 33 views)

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 06-13-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
It is available in the LT Crew Cab in the Luxury Pkg with leather option.
I have the Jet Black/Dark Ash leather in our 2017 Colorado LT. - - -
" - - Luxury package, which includes heated, power-adjustable front seats and other features to spruce up the interior; however, additional leather seating surfaces and the LT Convenience package (remote start, rear-window defogger and sliding section, and EZ Lift & Lower tailgate) - "
Yep...exactly what I have in mine!
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:42 PM

Big Merrill Lynch Automotive study says redesign of Colorado/Canyon won't happen until 2023. https://s3-prod.autonews.com/2019-06/CARWARS.pdf Page 22.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (59.9 KB, 9 views)
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:48 PM

Garage
I saw that also .. . thanks for posting it !

post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieTrees View Post
Big Merrill Lynch Automotive study says redesign of Colorado/Canyon won't happen until 2023. https://s3-prod.autonews.com/2019-06/CARWARS.pdf Page 22.
The interesting thing is also has a line item for a GMC Jimmy SUV, as opposed to CUV in 2023.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:30 PM

I guess I am an exception bot have had a 15 Canyon SLT and a 17 Denali (just ordered a 2020 Denali today) without need to take either one to the shop for a repair. The 15 had a six speed while the 17 has a eight speed, both transmissions were smooth and rarely did I even feel the shifts. I talked with one of the GMC mechanics and he indicated a few vehicles have had problems but when compared to the total sold it is a very small percentage. Thatís ok unless you are among the ď small percentageĒ.
As I understand the 2020 will not have the things that should come with a Denali, Power slider, homelink, sunroof, etc.

2017 Canyon Denali, crew, short bed, V6, 8spd, hard fold tonneau by Extang
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72malibu View Post
I want to buy a Colorado or Canyon but will not until GM fixes the transmission issue(s) and upgrades the interior, especially the hard seats. I could live with the plastic but wouldn't be happy with it for the money. The Colorado also needs a tan or gray interior option -- no black interior for me in the mid-atlantic summer. None of those changes are happening for this truck in 2020, so I have to wait at least until 2021. If Ram comes out with a midsize I'd consider that.

What do people know (confirmed) about the 2021 Colorado/Canyon models?
As others have mentioned we likely won’t know what is in store for the ‘21 model year until 11 months from now. May of ‘20 is my best guess. I wouldn’t expect much as I think we have missed the year/time for an MCE. They likely will be focusing on the next midsizers set for ‘22 or so.

I suggest you pick up a 2019 and enjoy it both are awesome trucks. If tan is your thing might I suggest a Canyon?

GM Family Fleet...

GMC: 2019 Canyon Denali 4WD 3.6L (my cowboy Cadillac)
2018 Yukon SLE 4WD 5.3L (in the family, vacation machine)
2016 Terrain Denali FWD 2.4L (in the family, commuter)
Pontiac: 2005 Bonneville SLE 3.8L (in the family, commuter/baby)

Proud American. Proud GMC & Pontiac Family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode