Gas tank size - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Gas tank size

According to google, my gas tank size is 21 gallons. ive got a 2019, 6 speed 4cyl extended cab. I've filled up twice only. Just today, close to empty but I only went up to almost 17 gallons. Am I to assume I had 4.x more gallons? What are your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookImNewOK View Post
According to google, my gas tank size is 21 gallons. ive got a 2019, 6 speed 4cyl extended cab. I've filled up twice only. Just today, close to empty but I only went up to almost 17 gallons. Am I to assume I had 4.x more gallons? What are your experiences?
I just ran my truck very low today, probably about 10 miles after the 30 limit on the DIC. It took 20 gallons.

So about 21 is pretty close I'm sure.
dave66rivi and MaineMan like this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6 LT
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White016 View Post
Quote:
I just ran my truck very low today, probably about 10 miles after the 30 limit on the DIC. It took 20 gallons.

So about 21 is pretty close I'm sure.
Interesting. Ok, thanks. I'll try to go further next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:12 AM

21 gallons officially. It's bigger than that though, as I've been able to get 2-3 more gallons in by going slowly after the cutoff. That's probably not a good idea though, so stick with the manual and don't do that.
JBT likes this.

2018 Z71 Midnight CC/LB
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
21 gallons officially. It's bigger than that though, as I've been able to get 2-3 more gallons in by going slowly after the cutoff. That's probably not a good idea though, so stick with the manual and don't do that.
LOL - okay Dad.

I have actually filled my tank with 19 - 20 gallons on a few occasions. Once even got 20.5 gallons. So, I can vouch for the 21 gallon tank size.

Gusto!

Black 2018 Colorado Z71, V6, Crew Cab, 4WD, Purch Apr/2018

THE REAL MaineMan
Previously Owned Trucks:
2017 Laser Blue Metallic Colorado Z71, V6, Ext Cab, 4WD, Purch Apr/2017 Traded Apr/2018
2005 Tan Colorado, 4 cylinder, Ext Cab, 2WD, Purch Oct/2005 Traded Nov/2010
1988 Blue Chevy S10. 4 cylinder, 2WD, Purch Sep/1989 Totaled/Wrecked Feb/1992
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:35 AM

Garage
Also overfilling is bad damages the Evap system. The most Iíve put in my truck was 18 gallons and some change even on empty unless you really run it down you have a 2-4 gallon reserve idk what it is on our trucks

2017 Chevy Colorado LT CCSB 2.5L 4cyl, Lazer blue with Bose, navigation, kicker vss, IBoard running boards, Z71 wheels, fog lamps, Drl relocation harness, led fog lights, high and low beam headlights, switchbacks.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
LOL - okay Dad.
The evap canister on most vehicles will cost $300 and up and usally are a pain to change. Dad gives good advice........

2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT ECLB
2005 Pontiac GTO
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sportline
2014 Kia Rio Lx
Retired HVAC/MVAC tech
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB/SB View Post
The evap canister on most vehicles will cost $300 and up and usally are a pain to change. Dad gives good advice........
I did not know this. Good information to store away next time I think, just one more gallon........

Gusto!

Black 2018 Colorado Z71, V6, Crew Cab, 4WD, Purch Apr/2018

THE REAL MaineMan
Previously Owned Trucks:
2017 Laser Blue Metallic Colorado Z71, V6, Ext Cab, 4WD, Purch Apr/2017 Traded Apr/2018
2005 Tan Colorado, 4 cylinder, Ext Cab, 2WD, Purch Oct/2005 Traded Nov/2010
1988 Blue Chevy S10. 4 cylinder, 2WD, Purch Sep/1989 Totaled/Wrecked Feb/1992
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:26 AM
VAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB/SB View Post

How is it damaged? I always put in at least a gallon over after the gas clicks off. Seems like it always clicks off early and when I get in I am a hair under the full mark. As if there was some venting problem or something...never had that happen before with prior vehicles.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 AM

If you like replacing the "fuel pump" please run'r low.

Otherwise fill the tank when you hit 1/4 tank.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAO View Post
How is it damaged? I always put in at least a gallon over after the gas clicks off. Seems like it always clicks off early and when I get in I am a hair under the full mark. As if there was some venting problem or something...never had that happen before with prior vehicles.

I think this explains it. Also I do top off just to get to a round number ur whole dollar

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...r-gas-tank.htm
Tucson Bill likes this.

2017 Chevy Colorado LT CCSB 2.5L 4cyl, Lazer blue with Bose, navigation, kicker vss, IBoard running boards, Z71 wheels, fog lamps, Drl relocation harness, led fog lights, high and low beam headlights, switchbacks.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=igE14GMhr5Y
greco2003 likes this.

2018 Colorado Z71 | Graphite Metallic | CC | LB | 4wd | 3.6 | Bose | Tow | WeatherTech Mudflaps | OEM Fender Flares | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 1.25 Level | Torzatop Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau Cover |
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:12 AM

The tank is larger than 21 gal. I heard its very similar to the Silverado tank. Having a diesel which has no evap system in it, I have put in 23 gallons when the DIC displayed LOW FUEL LEVEL instead of a range left...that went all the way to the top of the filler neck.

2016 Duramax CCSB Trail Boss

5.5" Zone Lift
285/70R17 Duratracs
1.25" BORA Spacers
Anzo Headlights
Eagle Eyes taillights
GDE Tune
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Interesting. Ok, thanks. I'll try to go further next time.
I didn't know it was a game or competition to see how far you can go until you run out.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6 LT
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
The EVAP canister is there to store fuel vapors from the fuel tank that are vented back to the canister, so they can be returned to the engine thru the Purge Valve and be burned off thru the exhaust to cut down on air pollution. When overfilling, liquid fuel can enter the canister thru the vent tube in the upper filler neck, and liquid fuel saturates and damages the charcoal in the canister and too much fuel to be burnt off. Kind of an explanation of why NOT to top off the tank after the pump shuts off.
greco2003, VAO and Tucson Bill like this.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual, tuned, all bolt-ons, LT headers

See my album for pics
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:20 PM
VAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
The EVAP canister is there to store fuel vapors from the fuel tank that are vented back to the canister, so they can be returned to the engine thru the Purge Valve and be burned off thru the exhaust to cut down on air pollution. When overfilling, liquid fuel can enter the canister thru the vent tube in the upper filler neck, and liquid fuel saturates and damages the charcoal in the canister and too much fuel to be burnt off. Kind of an explanation of why NOT to top off the tank after the pump shuts off.

Ok...makes sense. I read some articles in those links in the prior posts and there is no debate about it. But the numbers just don't jive up. I average 18.4 mpg and my fuel page say distance to empty is less than 30 miles...which means I have less than 2 gallons of gas left in the tank. I use the Chevy app to confirm this. When I fill up, I expect to at least put 18 gallons of gas in the tank and it cuts off at 16.5~17.3. I start the truck and the gauge is a hair below the full line. Something is not right...so I slowly put in an extra gallon and the gauge reads right. I had a Ford F-150 before this truck and a Nissan Pathfinder prior to that one...and their fuel pages were always spot on...numbers always jived. So either the Chevy computer/sensors/whatever are out of whack or the system is designed in such a manner that the fuel pump cuts off to early. Does this mythical reserve storage come into play here? I don't recall seeing it in the owner's manual and the service managers I have talked to don't know anything about it.
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusid View Post
If you like replacing the "fuel pump" please run'r low.

Otherwise fill the tank when you hit 1/4 tank.
Old wive's tale. The fuel pumps are cooled by fuel/gas flowing THROUGH them and not by being submerged IN the fuel.

It's similar to the argument that running low will suck up more crap from the bottom of the tank. Fuel is ALWAYS pulled from the bottom of the tank, if there's crap down there then it will get disturbed and sucked up no matter what the fuel level is.
jabush and FunctionOverForm like this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 3.0 EcoDiesel
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Old wive's tale. The fuel pumps are cooled by fuel/gas flowing THROUGH them and not by being submerged IN the fuel.

It's similar to the argument that running low will suck up more crap from the bottom of the tank. Fuel is ALWAYS pulled from the bottom of the tank, if there's crap down there then it will get disturbed and sucked up no matter what the fuel level is.
I would agree with your first point, but not the second. With a long flat fuel tank a lower level will result in more sloshing/waves near the bottom of the tank and get more stuff off the bottom suspended in the fuel. So it's not where it sucks from but what it's sucking. That said, that's what filters are for and you'd probably have to keep the tank half full to avoid that entirely.
Tucson Bill likes this.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I would agree with your first point, but not the second. With a long flat fuel tank a lower level will result in more sloshing/waves near the bottom of the tank and get more stuff off the bottom suspended in the fuel. So it's not where it sucks from but what it's sucking. That said, that's what filters are for and you'd probably have to keep the tank half full to avoid that entirely.
Problem with that thinking is that every time you fill up the fuel tank the stream of fuel causes what's in the tank to slosh around. Less so if you always fill up around 1/2 tank, but the issue of sediment/debris shouldn't be an issue with plastic tanks as that was largely due to internal corrosion over time with metal tanks.

I've owned multiple vehicles that had over 100k miles and some with almost 200k put on them before they were sold, frequently filled up below 1/4 tank, and not once have I ever lost an in-tank fuel pump or had an issue with debris plugging up the sock connected to the pump inlet. The whole "never run below 1/4 tank" is just an old ghost story people tell around the campfire and it won't die (much like the fuel pumps unless they actually suck air for long enough ).

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 3.0 EcoDiesel
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
LOL - okay Dad.

I have actually filled my tank with 19 - 20 gallons on a few occasions. Once even got 20.5 gallons. So, I can vouch for the 21 gallon tank size.

Gusto!
You just made it. According to the OM the capacity is 20.6 gal. Am I the only one who got an OM with his truck?

There are lots of good reasons to not top off. The only good reason I've seen for doing it is greco's. Now that I've seen it I don't know that I can not do it. Unfortunately I have some irrational dislike for odd numbers so I'd have to pump till I get to the next even number.
MaineMan likes this.

Last edited by Tucson Bill; 05-31-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Read the rest of the thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode