Fuel additives: How are you storing them and giving? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel additives: How are you storing them and giving?

Just curious what others are doing with the fuel additives they use on their trucks? I recently started using power service grey bottle and at first I was keeping in the back under the back seat, buy recently I started getting the smell of the additive in the cab and it annoyed me, so I have moved it to the bed of the truck in a tuff box and ended up having to put the fuel additive in Mason jars. Because it started leaking from the big jug, so now I have it in a handful of Mason jars in a tuff box in the bed of my truck, I just use the syringe to pull out what I need and put in the fuel tank.... I have the mason jars wrapped in old towels to keep them from braking on me...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Toughsox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:41 PM

Garage
I keep it in the garage and add when I get home from the fill-up

Ya.... I measure in a mason jar too....lol

"Saint Michael Protect Us"
2016 Canyon SLT 2.8 Duramax 4x4 SBCC White
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:27 AM

Garage
I use half a bottle of the Kleen and then put it in a zip lock freezer bag, then put them in a storage container in the back of the bed (upright), then I close the T-cover over the bed. I've not noticed any smell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:07 AM

Diesel fuel additives have varying degrees of toxicity depending on how concentrated they are. The unpleasant smell is most likely bad for you your health and storing the product in the bed or another sealed container is a good idea. Rubber gloves are also recommended for handling.

I buy fuel additive in bulk 2.5 gal and 5 gal containers due to cost savings. These Tip-n-measure containers are designed for storing chemicals. https://www.amleo.com/tip-n-measure-...pacity/p/TNMG/ They work great, are chemical resistant and are much more sophisticated than keeping it in a mason jar LOL.

I use a graduated cylinder for fuel dosage measurements. I keep the gloves, container and cylinder in a sealed plastic tote
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:07 AM

https://amzn.to/2YyJrOq

I re-use the bottles found on the link above.. I try to replace it every year to keep the plastic "fresh"
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName View Post
Diesel fuel additives have varying degrees of toxicity depending on how concentrated they are. The unpleasant smell is most likely bad for you your health and storing the product in the bed or another sealed container is a good idea. Rubber gloves are also recommended for handling.

I buy fuel additive in bulk 2.5 gal and 5 gal containers due to cost savings. These Tip-n-measure containers are designed for storing chemicals. https://www.amleo.com/tip-n-measure-...pacity/p/TNMG/ They work great, are chemical resistant and are much more sophisticated than keeping it in a mason jar LOL.

I use a graduated cylinder for fuel dosage measurements. I keep the gloves, container and cylinder in a sealed plastic tote
I was looking for something like that originally before I went with what I got. Wish you would have posted this earlier but I like my setup I have now.

I usually keep the bottle in the garage and fill it up when at home. However, when we go on trips, I take it with us. Well, if you let the bottle lay on its side, it will leak. And it's bad news for you (me) when said liquid leaks on to the wife's Muck boots and makes them all smelly....yea, still hearing about that one Well, we're going on 2 big trips this summer and I need it with me and also need to not get in trouble with the wife. Needed a way to mount a bottle in the bed, and I wanted something that was leak proof(ish) and had measuring notches on it. Used the Google machine and found a water bottle on Amazon that held 40 oz. with 8 oz. increments on it, and found a bottle holder on Ebay that was flexible for different bottle sizes and could clamp on to something.

I have a Leer shell, so I mounted the holder to one of the shell clamps that clamp to the bed frame of the truck. Added one of my wifes elastic pony tail holders to keep the bottle in the holder and it worked great and never lost the bottle when it was under half full. But, once I filled it up to 40 oz. it was too much for the hair tie. Got loose and rolled around the bed. Thankfully, the no-leak lid didn't come loose and it never leaked. My wife was driving that day, so she got a re-usable zip-tie and put around it and it hasn't come loose since.

I'm happy with it. And, the neck on lid where the liquid comes out is long enough that I don't even need a funnel to pour it in to the fuel tank now. Also wrote in Sharpie on the bottle "Fuel Additive, Do Not Drink" just in case someone think's its a water bottle or something.
Attached Images
File Type: png water bottle.png (246.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: png bottle holder.png (402.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Burgess159; 05-21-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:34 PM

I store mine at home in the garage and add it after various fill-ups. When traveling I'll put the container in a plastic storage box in the bed and keep it upright because them things will leak! I either use the smaller bottles or dose by approximation since it doesn't have to be exact.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 3.0 EcoDiesel
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:55 PM

I bought this when I first got my truck. I like the package deal because without making a mess you can refill the 8oz bottles. The bottles are graduated you can dump in whatever you need. I have a LEER on the back so I keep at least one or two in there standing upright. As long as I wipe the bottle down to capture any drips it doesn't smell up the back at all.

https://opti-lube.com/xpd-fuel-improver-gallon.html

RedEyeB20 and SmokinZR2 like this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:25 PM

Garage
I got the gallon jugs of the additives. Store them in a big Husky tub in the bed of the truck, along with towing stuff, tie-downs, straps, jumper cables....
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:16 AM

I have a milk crate in the box with elastic tie-downs running through the sides, making little ďstorage pocketsĒ that keep my tool kit and additives upright. I just buy the Diesel-Kleen from Canadian Tire in the 1L bottles and estimate ~250ml when I pour it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:19 PM

I use whatever's in the pump. I outgrew the need for Snake Oil years ago.

2018 Z71 Midnight CC/LB
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:46 PM

Fuel additives: How are you storing them and giving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
I use whatever's in the pump. I outgrew the need for Snake Oil years ago.

Itís not snake oil, but you do you. Thanks for your helpful contribution to this thread.

This thread should be in the diesel section. @lqdchkn @GregDAP perhaps this should be moved?

You have a V6 so your post makes more sense, however Techron Fuel System Cleaner Concentrate is a great product that has helped a number of my previous gas vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

Last edited by DieselDrax; 05-25-2019 at 02:03 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Itís not snake oil, but you do you. Thanks for your helpful contribution to this thread.

This thread should be in the diesel section. @lqdchkn @GregDAP perhaps this should be moved?

You have a V6 so your post makes more sense, however Techron Fuel System Cleaner Concentrate is a great product that has helped a number of my previous gas vehicles.
If you say so.

This is another example of people thinking they know better than the multi-billion-dollar companies who make things and rely on their quality, sales, and word-of-mouth to stay in business.

2018 Z71 Midnight CC/LB
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
If you say so.

This is another example of people thinking they know better than the multi-billion-dollar companies who make things and rely on their quality, sales, and word-of-mouth to stay in business.

No, this (you) is an example of someone talking about something they have no personal experience with. Iíve owned multiple diesels over the years and know exactly how well Diesel Kleen works.

Stay in your lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No, this (you) is an example of someone talking about something they have no personal experience with. Iíve owned multiple diesels over the years and know exactly how well Diesel Kleen works.

Stay in your lane.
Easy there Internet Tough Guy. I have a CDL and have driven diesels for 30 years.

2018 Z71 Midnight CC/LB
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:37 PM

From what I've read, there is no additive requirement for diesel in the US, so an additive for good measure can't hurt. A big rig with tons of highway miles may or may not need an additive, but for my daily trips, I'll add at every fill up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Easy there Internet Tough Guy. I have a CDL and have driven diesels for 30 years.

I'm happy for you, however your opinion flies in the face of the personal experience of myself and many others who have run Diesel Kleen with excellent results. If you've never run it then you're simply providing an uninformed opinion based on false assumptions, sorry. The stuff works. It freed up a sticking FPR on an LB7 that was causing a surge at idle. My 2.8 runs quieter and has better throttle response when I run it. There was even a time that I forgot I added it and wondered why my engine was so quiet when I got to work, then I remembered that I added a dose the night before.

I don't use any product based on marketing claims, I use products based on the personal experiences of myself and others and the science behind the products and their results. I have no idea what you're basing your opinion on, but it sure seems like you're just making assumptions about the efficacy of the product without any experience or data to back up those assumptions and attempting to tell those of us that have/do use the products that they do nothing when experience says otherwise.

Thanks for your opinion, though.
mexica likes this.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexica View Post
From what I've read, there is no additive requirement for diesel in the US, so an additive for good measure can't hurt. A big rig with tons of highway miles may or may not need an additive, but for my daily trips, I'll add at every fill up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Diesel dispensed from the pumps does have additives that bring the fuel at least up to the minimum requirements as specified by the ASTM if not a little higher (Literally a little). One of those minimums is cetane # which is 40, lower than ideal but not low enough to cause problems. Diesel engines just don't run as well with a cetane number that low, running a cetane improving additive will make the engine run quieter, start easier, and have better throttle response. This is the improvement most people experience when running Diesel Kleen and other additives that increase the cetane number because it's something that is easy to notice. Additives that help to dissolve the asphaltenes that form in diesel will help to keep the rest of the fuel system clean and should help increase the life of fuel filters as the tar-like asphaltenes are one of the main things that plug filters over time.

So while additives aren't required, they do help to keep the fuel system clean, they increase lubricity, and if they bump up the cetane number then the engine will just run better in general. ULSD quality in the US is relatively poor compared to other places in the world where even the minimum cetane number can be more than 10 points higher than the US minimum. Folks have gone hundreds of thousands of miles without using additives and the engines are still running fine, but that's not to say they couldn't be running better and cleaner.

I choose to run Diesel Kleen every 2-4 tanks as a maintenance item, it's cheap and I know it works.
mexica likes this.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I'm happy for you, however your opinion flies in the face of the personal experience of myself and many others who have run Diesel Kleen with excellent results. If you've never run it then you're simply providing an uninformed opinion based on false assumptions, sorry. The stuff works. It freed up a sticking FPR on an LB7 that was causing a surge at idle. My 2.8 runs quieter and has better throttle response when I run it. There was even a time that I forgot I added it and wondered why my engine was so quiet when I got to work, then I remembered that I added a dose the night before.

I don't use any product based on marketing claims, I use products based on the personal experiences of myself and others and the science behind the products and their results. I have no idea what you're basing your opinion on, but it sure seems like you're just making assumptions about the efficacy of the product without any experience or data to back up those assumptions and attempting to tell those of us that have/do use the products that they do nothing when experience says otherwise.

Thanks for your opinion, though.
20 years of working in construction and managing a fleet of trucks.

Spend your money on your truck however you like. Don't pretend to be an authority, and maybe stop looking like a tool and assuming that you know better than everyone.

Have a nice day.
DB/SB likes this.

2018 Z71 Midnight CC/LB
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:47 PM

@DieselDrax

No it shouldnt, gasoline vehicles use fuel additives too.

Additionally and more relevantly, how anyone keeps a bottle of any chemical stored is not specific to diesels, therefore it's been properly placed in the general forums.

There is a diesel fuel specific additives thread already in the diesel section but this topic is about chemical storage.

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode