Mechanic is saying that removing the airdam could cause overheating issues... - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Mechanic is saying that removing the airdam could cause overheating issues...

Hello everyone,

I've spent a good amount of money on aftermarket stuff at my dealership so they told me they'd take off the air dam for free next time I was in getting stuff done.

Well, I'm here, however the mechanic just warned me that the air dam isn't only for MPGs. He says it creates a low pressure area under the truck which helps cool it, especially when towing.uc browser shareit appvn

He said he's never seen any issues with it but to watch my temperature gauges.

Anyone heard of this?? I'm still getting it taken off but I wondered if anyone here who had gotten the dam removed had any experiences w/ this.

Thank you!
Toughsox likes this.

Last edited by joe77; Today at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:14 AM

No i actually took dam off myself about year ago or more no overheating issues at all although i haven’t towed anything yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:20 AM

Garage
The mechanic sounds like he may have a part time job writing disclaimers for prescription medicine. Yes, as he stated, under certain conditions it could cause problems. So if you are ever towing at maximum capacity through Death Valley in August and get caught in stop and go traffic, watch your temperature gauge.
rkj__, impact, F8LZ71 and 15 others like this.

2018 Zr2 V6 Crew Cab Delivered 1/10/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe77 View Post

Anyone heard of this?? I'm still getting it taken off but I wondered if anyone here who had gotten the dam removed had any experiences w/ this.
Four years of towing - No air dam - No issues!

2015 CCSB Z71 4X4 3.6L LFX Red Rock Metallic
BAK G2 cover - Tekonsha Prodigy controller - Tow Pkg
Weathertech mud flaps - Factory tubular steps
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:04 AM

Over two years without it and no overheating issues. And since I record all fuel ups and track mileage, I can tell you it doesn't help gas mileage either.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:13 AM

Garage
Nope. Wont cause overheating. I recently towed 5000lbs, 800 miles through the mountains in 60-80 degree weather. Engine temp never moved. Trans temp never went over 160.
Joedude and Zcbus76 like this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

Check out my YouTube Channel! - How To's & Product Reviews
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Hummmm......
My ZR2 has no dam air dam.....she runs cool as a cucumber.

Typical BS from a dealer......
Joedude likes this.

Brian
White Bear Lake, Minnesota

2018 Colorado ZR2 Kinetic Blue CC V6
Delivery 7/10/18

post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Garage
I don’t see how it could cause over heating. If it really would wouldn’t the aftermarket bumper makers have to make one for theirs

2017 Chevy Colorado LT CCSB 2.5L 4cyl, Lazer blue with Bose, navigation, kicker vss, IBoard running boards, Z71 wheels, fog lamps, Drl relocation harness, led fog lights, high and low beam headlights, switchbacks.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMick23 View Post
Hummmm......

Not all dealerships are out to get you.

There is a very specific range of operating conditions that the air dam would help with cooling. As stated above, if you're towing in Death Valley in August and get caught in stop and go traffic, watch your temp gauges.
White016, ofpandafk and Daveski65 like this.

-Eric

I manage one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in the country. If you're having problems with a dealer or have a question about something, I'd be happy to help.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Smit View Post
Not all dealerships are out to get you.

There is a very specific range of operating conditions that the air dam would help with cooling. As stated above, if you're towing in Death Valley in August and get caught in stop and go traffic, watch your temp gauges.
Never said they all were.......
But the vast majority speak out their @$$ and have very little knowledge on the vehicles they sell.

Those same extreme conditions would warrant watching your temp gauge regardless of air dam or not.....
dave66rivi, White016 and Zcbus76 like this.

Brian

Delivery 7/10/18

Last edited by BigMick23; 05-08-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Garage
Make sure your air dam fluid level is good!!!
JBT, dave66rivi, White016 and 8 others like this.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Hummmm......

Was it not specifically stated by one of the engineers on the ZR2 project that one reason for the significant decrease in towing capacity was the change to the front fascia, which includes completely eliminating the low pressure area under the truck? And that this affects the ability to cool critical components properly?

As stated already a few times, yeah it'd take the "right" conditions for the lack of air dam to be the deciding factor in overheating, but it's not like he was spewing BS.

OP (and everyone else) who removed their air dam will likely be fine in spite of doing that, but I'm not sure the ZR2 is the example to use when trying to say the air dam cooling factor is complete BS.
White016 and IronHorse like this.

'18 ZR2 speshul cab four banger
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofpandafk View Post
Was it not specifically stated by one of the engineers on the ZR2 project that one reason for the significant decrease in towing capacity was the change to the front fascia, which includes completely eliminating the low pressure area under the truck? And that this affects the ability to cool critical components properly?

As stated already a few times, yeah it'd take the "right" conditions for the lack of air dam to be the deciding factor in overheating, but it's not like he was spewing BS.

OP (and everyone else) who removed their air dam will likely be fine in spite of doing that, but I'm not sure the ZR2 is the example to use when trying to say the air dam cooling factor is complete BS.
Depends on who you believe I guess......
I see nothing mentioned about airflow in the GM Authority article below.

Quote:
For towers, it may have come as a shock when Chevrolet announced the 2017 Colorado ZR2 would be capable of pulling 2,000 pounds less. But, the 5,000-pound tow rating comes at the expense of the off-road upgrades. You can’t always have your cake and eat it, too.

We asked Chevrolet why 2,000 pounds had to be cut back from the 2017 Colorado ZR2’s towing rating, and the answer simply lies in the revised chassis design.

The 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 features a two-inch higher lift, three and a half inch higher track, and both cause towing ratings to slip. The other portions of the 5,000-pound towing puzzle are the redesigned spring and damper rates. While the regular Colorado can handle the extra weight in the rear, the Colorado ZR2 focuses more on its rock crawling capabilities rather than what’s on its tow hook at the rear.

And, let’s be honest, who’s going to be towing 5,000 pounds while off-roading this beast? We’d rather focus on getting the Colorado ZR2 muddy without the burden of towing.

Read more: Why The 2017 Colorado ZR2 Only Tows 5,000 Lbs | GM Authority
Source:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/11/...y-2000-pounds/

Brian

Delivery 7/10/18

post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
Sounds like you need a new mechanic! lol :D

Overland & Adventure!!
2018 ZR2 - Voodoo Max Steel rack, Smittybilt RTT, and all smiles
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Every manufacturer, from Campbell's soup to Chevy, will try and squeeze as much cost out of their product while attempting to deliver the highest quality they can. It is a painstaking balancing act. Sometimes you save costs and deliver lower quality, sometimes you increase costs and deliver higher quality, and sometimes everything goes to crap...

Engineering and Design would have had to make a case for why the air dam is necessary in order for it to be installed on every Colorado (except the ZR2). Its function is to change the aerodynamics of the vehicle, which plays a role in both fuel mileage and cooling. Will your truck blow up if you remove it? Very unlikely.
Does the Tech at the dealership have to warn you? Absolutely, he does. It's a "Cover your ass" statement. I would tell you the same thing if I were in his shoes.
Since I'm not in his shoes, I will tell you that I've had mine removed for several years without trouble. I'm about to tow 750 miles tomorrow, and I have no concerns about overheating.

2016 Chevy Colorado LT V6 Crew Cab 4x4
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Depends on who you believe I guess......
I see nothing mentioned about airflow in the GM Authority article below.

Source:
Why The 2017 Colorado ZR2 Only Tows 5,000 Lbs | GM Authority
Yeah I've seen that, I'm pretty sure Drax linked it last time the ZR2 towing capacity difference subject came up. I'm referencing something I saw in an interview, I think it was on TFL Truck's youtube channel. I'll try to dig it up when I get the chance. Can't do it at work right now.

I'd be inclined to believe the chassis/suspension changes were far more responsible for the decrease, but I also trust an engineer on the project when they talk about the effects of removing that low pressure area considering how incredibly important deltas are in increasing the efficiency in many modern designs, both in terms of cooling and ingestion.

'18 ZR2 speshul cab four banger
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
One of the first things I did was remove and throw my airdam in the trash.
ZERO temp issues towing to the so cal dessert (in winter 60 to 90 F) and to the Colorado river (in the summer 70 to 110 F).
Not enough of a MPG change to even notice.
Simply laugh at the mechanic and tell him to do his job or remove the thing yourself.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels 17x8.5 00 offset-Special Thanks to [email protected] with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares
Weathertech floor liners
Borla cat-back system
As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Prerunner kit and king coilovers
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:14 AM

Lots of misinformation in here. First the mechanic is correct, it can under certain conditions cause overheating issues. Just because the 10 people in here say they haven't had a problem doesn't mean it isn't a possibility or wasn't found in testing. If it wasn't an issue, why is it called out in the manual?

"To gain more ground clearance if
needed, it may be necessary to
remove the front fascia lower air
dam. However, driving without the
air dam reduces fuel economy.

Caution
Operating the vehicle for
extended periods without the front
fascia lower air dam installed can
cause improper airflow to the
engine. Reattach the front fascia
air dam after off-road driving."

As far as it doesn't impact MPG, that just is flat out incorrect. Again, just because a few people say they saw no impact doesn't make it true (it probably wasn't a big enough change to where they actually noticed, say going from 17.1 to 17.3). It is a solid 1+ mpg on the highway. Shoot, I did a before and after removal on my Silverado with a smaller valance and it lost 1.3 mpg over a 17 mile loop back to back with in an hour time frame at 70 mph with cruise set. If you do more city driving the overall average impact will be less, if you spend a ton of time on the highway it will be more. Either way they wouldn't put it on if it didn't help. Nor would they make a disclaimer if they didn't find some scenario where the truck got hot. Like someone said above probably towing a flat front trailer slowly up a grade in 110 degree heat with a full load on the hitch which probably no one here has done (towing a boat or open car trailer is completely different).

Your mechanic is correct, it is up to you to decide if you want to or not. Chances are you will be fine, but they have to warn you. The whole low pressure area was big on the f-body cars if I remember correctly (it may have been another 90's GM model) where with out the chin spoiler under the car it would tend to over heat for the exact reason the low pressure area wasn't there to allow air to move more freely. As soon as they put it back on poof, normal operating temps. Granted our trucks are a little different but that is part of the design...

Lot's of information on this out there, just have to search.

Tyler

Last edited by Amxguy1970; 05-08-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe77 View Post
...the mechanic just warned me...
I believe you meant to say "the 'parts-changer' just warned me"
Toughsox likes this.

2018 GMC Canyon SLE, Marine Blue exterior, Cocoa and Dune interior
3.6L Engine, 8 speed Auto transmission, RWD
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
I removed my airdam at 5,000 miles. Right after I did I started overheating. Put it back on and it's cool now.

JK.....

p.s.
never go to a salesman for technical advise. Especially the ones on TV that are also engineers, they can be full of it. It just seems they tell you what they want you to hear. Like they are salesman first, then an engineer....lol I don't know about the ZR2 story, it could be right on.

There is no doubt in my mind that thing helps with cooling, but there is also no doubt in my mind that our cooling systems are above the threshold of overheating without it(when everything is new, full and clean). There are other things to cool also, AC condensers, trans coolers, even electric power steering now. But yes, I would not sweat it at all.

interesting fact on the subject, I have personally seen the airdam help cool 1990 something police Caprices at high speed. Tested it myself. Good thing I got payed by the hour, right?! ;)
Toughsox likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6 LT

Last edited by White016; 05-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode