Mechanic is saying that removing the airdam could cause overheating issues... - Page 4 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclinch View Post
So quick question as a newbie - will the Chevy dealer remove the air dam or no?

They should. I enquired at my local GM and they will do it and the quote is 2 hours labor as they WILL REMOVE THE FRONT BUMPER to remove the air dam. They don't do the shtye that us DIY'ers do with the ratchet tool and bruised fingers.

However, they will ALSO point out what the OP bought up (my dealer also said the exact thing). That the dealership will remove it but won't recommend removing it on a permanent basis due to air flow and engine cooling.

You are playing with fine line here, IMO. I'm thinking of removing mine but leaving the screws in so if I'm taking it back to the dealer for any warranty work, etc. I'll put the air dam on.

The last thing I want is GM holding me responsible for any engine cooling failure (which is far stretched) by removing the air dam.
Toughsox and White016 like this.

[[ '19 GMC Canyon All-Terrain X :: DD SL1 lows, Bed Cover, BullBar, Wrangler AT Duratec 265/65/17, Door Visors, Gibson SFT Muffler, 1.25" Zone Level ]]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSingh1975 View Post

People that end up putting level kits ..do they still remove it ?
I didn't, I've never hit it off road either with 2 1/2 lift/level. I don't get into gnarly stuff off road but still.

I'm pretty sure most remove it because they don't like the look of it, not because it hits.

I did cut mine in front of the wheels a little but that was purely for looks.

I don't think it hangs down any more than lots of stuff under the truck, like the trans and transfer case.

Some will probably say approach angle but I haven't had it hit with that either.

I have seen pics of them that were just shortened up a little, looked pretty good, I don't like the look of it being completely gone personally.
Toughsox and SSingh1975 like this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6 LT
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 PM

I've had my Colorado for about two months, and I can't even count the number of parking blocks my air dam has gotten scraped on in parking lots. I trimmed mine, but did not remove it because it seems to also provide a certain amount of structural rigidity to the bottom of the bumper.

Before/After shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019colorado.jpg (468.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg After air dam trim.jpg (361.4 KB, 23 views)
Toughsox, White016 and Zcbus76 like this.

Last edited by Liam the Red; 05-14-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Add requested photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSingh1975 View Post
I'm thinking of removing mine but leaving the screws in so if I'm taking it back to the dealer for any warranty work, etc. I'll put the air dam on.
Make your life easier........ if you truly do intend to possibly put it back on, take the clips out and turn them upside down.

Had they done this on the factory floor, it wouldnt take you 5 minutes to remove the air dam. But they way they currently sit in there, you have to bust your knuckles to get them off.

If you dont know what Im talking about, this is the part you want to spin upside down. Theres a dozen or so you have to do this to.

Id have counted them up for you but, I dont have the front bumper anymore.
White016, Tom S. and SSingh1975 like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 ZR-71, Black, Long Box, 4 door

Last edited by Toughsox; 05-13-2019 at 06:48 PM.
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:11 PM

Does anyone have any good pics of the truck with the air dam removed? I'm curious as to whether the front still has a "finished" look to it. I have no imagination ��
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak84 View Post
Does anyone have any good pics of the truck with the air dam removed? I'm curious as to whether the front still has a "finished" look to it. I have no imagination ��

Well,.....you asked.
White016 and Zak84 like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 ZR-71, Black, Long Box, 4 door

Last edited by Toughsox; 05-13-2019 at 11:36 PM.
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post

Well,.....you asked.
And he snuck another shameless pic of his truck in. Well done... lol
Toughsox, Tom S., Zak84 and 1 others like this.

post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
There are threads all about this, should be some pics left up.

I think it leaves it with a unfinished look.
Toughsox and Zak84 like this.

post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Look ^^^^^^ way up on top to the COLORADOFANS.com banner ^^^^^^^^^
Toughsox likes this.

2015 CCSB Z71 4X4 3.6L LFX Red Rock Metallic
BAK G2 cover - Tekonsha Prodigy controller - Tow Pkg
Weathertech mud flaps - Factory tubular steps
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
I think it looks great without it personally. I have no regrets taking mine off. There's plenty of pictures on the forums, especially in the What did you do to your Colorado/Canyon today? thread.
Toughsox likes this.

2018 Colorado Z71 CCSB 4WD 3.6L V6 in Graphite Metallic
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:25 PM

Garage
It should also be mentioned that there are pictures of trucks where the dam was shortened. I thought they were in this thread, but apparently not.
Toughsox likes this.
post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
It should also be mentioned that there are pictures of trucks where the dam was shortened. I thought they were in this thread, but apparently not.
Post 63 above. I included before/after pics of my trimmed airdam.
Toughsox and Goodspike like this.
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have any good pics of the truck with the air dam removed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD8862F9-277D-4544-9096-7F90C1E1F54E.jpg (211.9 KB, 30 views)
Toughsox, owl_93 and Zcbus76 like this.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends." - REK
"If we get a little crazy, blame it on the alcohol." - PG
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - MT
"All bleeding stops eventually." - ZR2 EMT
"Stay safe! Everyone goes home." - UNK

2017 Red Hot ZR2 V6 CC SWB - TPW 5/15/2017 - Event Code 6000 - 6/6/2017
post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 AM

When I purchased the truck I asked the dealer if they could remove it but the service department was booked. I got the opinion that dealers will remove it but the mechanics don't really want to mess with it. I've seen and heard about them giving the excuse of "well it may overheat" when really I think it's just time consuming to take off. I researched it and decided I not want a service department to do it for fear of them rushing and breaking pieces or taking the entire bumper off, etc.

Despite hating the look, I kept it on until I hit my first parking barrier. I searched this forum and found many threads and tons of pics on either cutting or removing the air dam. I watched a few Youtube videos which go step by step on all the screws and the wheel well liners. I purchased a $7 mini ratcheting tool on Amazon (Harbor Freight has it as well) which made it easy.

My advice is to take the time to remove it. As others have said, once it's off you can flip the clips/screws and put it back on in 10 minutes or less. Or you can use a dremel/tin snips and trim it and put it back on. I've kept mine off and been to another service department a few times. They've never said a word about the dam. Gas mileage did not lesson either.

I've found now that it's removed it sets it apart from all the other trucks on the road with them on. I've had people tell me it looks ten times better (more sporty and more like a truck) and less "cheap" (SUV/Tacoma like) without it on.
Toughsox likes this.
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Garage
Here's my professional opinion on this....

Toughsox and Garrettb189 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode