Tow/Haul mode - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Tow/Haul mode

Anyone drive in tow/haul mode all the time? I like the shift points better and the more responsive throttle. Any reason to not do this, other than mpg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisco1998 View Post
Anyone drive in tow/haul mode all the time? I like the shift points better and the more responsive throttle. Any reason to not do this, other than mpg?
I guess it's like a "sport" mode in other cars. Does it use all of the gears?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:05 PM

Is not much as an MPG saver, all it does is hold the gears a bit longer and bump the alternator output. Is all in the owners manual.

Using it while towing if you are on an hilly area, on flat, leave it on normal mode to get a higher gear, stress less the engine and bump the MPGs. That is how I use it when pulling my camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:

what truck do you have that has tow mode?

you have pictures of this truck?

welcome to the site...

I use tow mode when there is a lot of fast traffice, so it down shifts when I need it. but not very often

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

2016 LT crew 4x4, 3.6 I just purchased a couple months ago. I'm doing several appearance mods and will be posting some before and after pics later. I downsized from a F150 crew FX4. So far pretty happy, just miss that V-8
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 AM

Garage
I would read the manual. I have the diesel so I don't know, the tow/haul may lock you out of the top gear(s). If so you'd need to remember to turn it off on the freeway.
dave66rivi likes this.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 AM

I tow my boat alot. Tow/haul mode it inept to say the least. I was pulling a few weeks ago and noticed that the engine was at 1500 rpm in 8th gear..WTH is that! I use tow/haul in "L" now and keep it in 7th to keep it in a better power band pulling and less stress on the tranny. Pulling a 2.5k lb boat.
madcratebuilder likes this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
2016 LT crew 4x4, 3.6 I just purchased a couple months ago. I'm doing several appearance mods and will be posting some before and after pics later. I downsized from a F150 crew FX4. So far pretty happy, just miss that V-8
Since you have a 16 model, you should check to see if TSB #18-NA-145, has been loaded. That TSB deals with the problems you are referring to, and you would not have to drive in Tow Mode.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwilt View Post
I tow my boat alot. Tow/haul mode it inept to say the least. I was pulling a few weeks ago and noticed that the engine was at 1500 rpm in 8th gear..WTH is that! I use tow/haul in "L" now and keep it in 7th to keep it in a better power band pulling and less stress on the tranny. Pulling a 2.5k lb boat.

Using as designed IMHO. I use M/L depending on driving conditions. It's like the first GM engineer programs the trans for correct operation, then the epa/mpg engineer comes along and fubars it.
Janster likes this.

2017 Colorado ZR2 Deepwood Green Metallic, Ext Cab 3.6 DI DOHC V6 (LGZ) 8-speed auto (8L45).
Midwest Overland Ind, 589 Fab, Warn, GMPP, Trifecta, Nitro Gear, Timbren, Supermod Skidz, Rhino Rack, Wilco Offset, Smittybilt, Ultra Ranger.

Illegitimi non carborundum
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateado View Post
Is not much as an MPG saver, all it does is hold the gears a bit longer and bump the alternator output. Is all in the owners manual.

Using it while towing if you are on an hilly area, on flat, leave it on normal mode to get a higher gear, stress less the engine and bump the MPGs. That is how I use it when pulling my camper.
That being said, wouldn't it then over-charge and damage/shorten the life of the battery if no trailer is connected?

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernster500 View Post
That being said, wouldn't it then over-charge and damage/shorten the life of the battery if no trailer is connected?
No. The twins will automatically charge the battery only when it needs it. You can watch the battery voltage on your DIC. It will often be 12V and only jumps up to 14V (e.g. charged by alternator) when it needs to. Helps the battery last way longer than an older car.
16WhiteColly likes this.

2018 Colorado Z71 CCSB 4WD 3.6L V6 in Graphite Metallic
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Not sure what your tow/haul mode on the 8 speed has to do with the 6 speed transmission? It works very well on the 6 speed
JBT, Janster and 16WhiteColly like this.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Quote:
Not sure what your tow/haul mode on the 8 speed has to do with the 6 speed transmission? It works very well on the 6 speed
I did not realize his second post is where he said he had a 16 model, therefore having the six speed.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 PM

I used to switch into tow haul at times but have since discovered how much fun the manual mode is. You can pull down into M anytime you want and it drops a gear immediately. Great for when everyone is being aggressive. Then when the party is over just bump it back into D and relax.
(2016 V6 Canyon 6 spd).
Iamscotticus likes this.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyl View Post
I used to switch into tow haul at times but have since discovered how much fun the manual mode is. You can pull down into M anytime you want and it drops a gear immediately. Great for when everyone is being aggressive. Then when the party is over just bump it back into D and relax.
(2016 V6 Canyon 6 spd).
Ive been wanting to play with that too, but I don't want to grenade my transmission, LOL. I will take small steps.
In the mean time, I wouldn't hesitate to hit Tow mode to hang in the low gears a little longer if needed. I often use it when in seal to seal traffic so Im not shifting too much. Or put in manual and limit to 2nd gear.
I have forgotten to come out of tow mode after using it, but there's no adverse effects. It might help break in the TC clutch on new trucks. I did that when I got mine. Its my second theory why I didn't get the TC shudder.

All gave some, some gave all, protesters gave nothing.
11/17 Colorado 12T43 4X4 Z71 3.6 LGZ CCLB Deepwood green Pedal Commander (City-2) AMP Power Boards Weather Tech mud flaps GM Elastomeric floor liners Hellwig 7745 Sway Bar Mobil1 LV ATF-HP Transmission Drain Plug Currie CE9027 Gorilla Wheel locks
Please don't use PhotoBucket, You're wasting your time
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:43 PM

Garage
towhaul/exhaust brake on plus traction control off = sport mode
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soco_canyon View Post
towhaul/exhaust brake on plus traction control off = sport mode
Do I have a sport mode?

All gave some, some gave all, protesters gave nothing.
11/17 Colorado 12T43 4X4 Z71 3.6 LGZ CCLB Deepwood green Pedal Commander (City-2) AMP Power Boards Weather Tech mud flaps GM Elastomeric floor liners Hellwig 7745 Sway Bar Mobil1 LV ATF-HP Transmission Drain Plug Currie CE9027 Gorilla Wheel locks
Please don't use PhotoBucket, You're wasting your time
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:22 PM

You wont hurt your transmission. The computer wont let you shift into any gear that is out of the parameters.
Also around town its pretty neat to not use 1st gear at all. It is not needed unless maybe you are at a dead stop on a steep hill. The more I use M the more I like it.
These engines make some nice power when the revs are up.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:36 PM

Youre still using 1st gear. It only stops the tranny from going any higher than the selected gear.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Youre still using 1st gear. It only stops the tranny from going any higher than the selected gear.
Actually, I think in 2nd gear it does lock out 1st. I seem to remember someone reporting that before.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in