Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

8 Speed Shudder and other issues (Seeking advice on what to do)

6K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Elysian 
#1 ·
Hey all – seeking feedback on what to do with my Colorado. I am one of the ones that has had repeated issues with the shudder, engine knock and other minor electronic issues. So far it has been in the shop 4+ times and over 30+ days. I am pursuing a lemon case, but I think I am screwed as the shudder issue started so late in the vehicle’s life. Just wondering what the Colorado community thinks I should do. Trade it off and take a major hit on value or keep it and live with all the issues long term……………..I am guessing other have had to make this same choice also and just seeking feedback.

#2 · (Edited)
Are you past your 60K powertrain warranty?
If so, continue the lemon thing.

If that doesn't work, tell the internet sales guy (since he's the only one who will know what you mean) that you know guys who can launch a six month Googlebomb campaign and totally destroy the dealer's web search results as well as destroy the ratings and reviews and stats.
They aren't married to any of their cars but they sure will take care of the dealership.

But seriously, if nothing else, give the trans a drink of Lubeguard Shudder Fixx or change out to their SYN ATF that has the FMs that prevent shuddering.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly
#3 ·
I don't know the TSB number right off the top of my head, but can you confirm that you have done the very latest TSB which involves using new fluid (as opposed the "old new fluid" that was used in the prior TSBs...which are no longer valid) and using a specific flushing tool/machine that GM shipped to their dealers starting in Feb/March time frame?

If you have done that, and you are STILL getting the shudder, then you should be eligible for a new TC, and the new fluid. This latest TSB is supposed to be "per GM" the real deal fix for the shudder issues. If you are still getting shudder, than your TC may have been too far gone in the first place.

I would say that if you feel like you would want to stick with the truck assuming it no longer shuddered, then go this route. If you still feel like you can't trust or enjoy the truck even IF the shudder was fixed, then its time to pursue lemon or trade.

Best of luck.

#4 ·
If you still have warranty I would do the TSB's, If not you could add a tube of Shudder Fixx. I would disconnect the battery overnight to force a transmission relearn.

I did the Shudder Fixx at first oil change, 1k, and I have not had any issues with the trans. I've always had a PC and later a Trifecta tune, these may have an effect on shudder.

#23 ·
Great post

My favorite post in the whole 7 months I've been looking at this site, which is since I bought my 2018 Colorado Ext. Cab. V6 with the dreaded 8L45 trans. in late Sept. 2018.

For the record: build date April 2018, 4000 miles, no shudder yet. Live in hilly (to say the least) country in California's Sierras. How could such a beautiful state suck so badly? Oops. Off topic. Sorry. Can't help my bad self...

#6 ·
Serious response....if you're going to take a bath trading out of the truck, keep throwing the keys at the dealer and rule out claiming lemon law, if you haven't already. I don't know specifics there, but a buyback on the table sounds like it might be appealing to you. Then again, buybacks don't always work out if the thing is under-water. Only you know your current situation in the truck.

#7 ·
The truck is a 2017 with 25k miles. But I am past the state lemon law time frame where I live. Not really looking for a fix (if it could be fixed the dealership would have fixed it during the 30+ days in the shop. Also had all the TSBs done) - mostly just looking for feedback from individuals that have decided to live with the shudder long term and what that is like.

#8 ·
#11 ·
As I understand it, eventually the shudder will destroy the torque converter -- so there is no "live with it" option.

Reactions: Iamscotticus
#12 · (Edited)
Shudder fix. what harm can it do?

https://www.lubegard.com/products/black/
To use this , you must already have low viscosity fluid, which is what the tech should have put in.
Reading your testimony, my impression is you may not have the best of dealers.
That could include nuckleheads in service who don't have the correct Mobil1 LV ATF and are telling you they do. Or any number of stealer tricks.

A few months ago man I never met before stopped me at the place I work because his cousin at another jobsite told him I had a 'Rado and knew all about this TC problem. He was going thru the same issues with a new TC and all with no luck. He stopped me and asked me if my truck was ok? I gave him the tube of shudder fix I had for any shudder I might have but never did. I just got feedback that he used the shudder fix and hes running good. So that's one real person I know that the stuff helped.

#13 ·
Well crap. If you've had the latest TSB done (lets say...since Feb or later) with the new fluid, then you'd be the first I know of that is still experiencing the issue. Hopefully they used the right dang fluid.

Regardless there is no way go just live with it and lessen the annoyance of it...except through an aftermarket TCM tune. Guys on the camaro forum are doing it with great success (something about zeroing out the slippage tables) ....BUT when you go this route you toss out your powertrain warranty altogether, and on top of that, if your TC is already toast, then a tune certainly isn't going to fix that.

Sorry man.

#14 ·
Well to the OP I'm still on the fence that the latest TSB 18 NA #355 was properly or ever done for your vehicle. If its still not right find a different dealer to try the TSB again by the book, in a respectful way question the service advisor on if they have the right fluid and tools to do the job, because they are very specific. If you can talk to the "transmission guy" there even better. Good luck!

#17 ·
Well i'll throw my 2 cents in . I am dealing with the same thing. First , 2018 , v6, 8 sp LT extended cab.
I bought the Colorado back in 10/ 2017. has about 18 k on it now. Shudder started at 7500 miles.
Had the first service of the trans done , No help was still doing it . 2nd time the TC was changed, help for a about 1500 miles. I was thinking it would get better NOPE , didn't happen. Was told to drive it to make sure by dealer.
Back for the 3rd time , Dealer run there test ,and what do you know it was still doing the shudder.

" WE have the fix for it now" Dealer does the new fix ,and it worked for about 2K this time.
So it has gotten warm here in Georgia, with the roads here are mostly rolling hills, as soon as I hit these 2 lane rolling hills running 45-60 mph with the rpm's 1200-1500 the shudder is back.
Talked to the trans guy at the dealer , he said it's the humidity and to just keep driving it it will work itself out .

Here's the good part. I own 2 2018 Colorado's [wife wanted one] The 2nd Colorado has 10k+ on it and works just fine. Hope this helps .. DON'T know what to do about the first one.

Attachments

#24 ·
I'm at 22k on my '18, bought it with 90 miles on the odometer. I don't think I have shudder, but I've noticed clunking from the transmission when going from throttle to coasting. Not really sure what to think of it, and not sure it's consistent enough I could bring it in and have the dealer reproduce it.

#27 ·
I've read extensively on the transmission shudder problem, but I have not found it to be well defined or described.
Please, someone bring us neophites up to speed.
In my case I've only noticed a slightly disturbing jump forward of my truck as I brake and my tranny downshifts.
Is that shudder?

#28 ·
Shudder is sort of like driving slowly over rumble-strips along the side of a highway.

GM's description from the TSB is here:

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

They say trans temp should be 122F to 158F, I've had it happen as low as 112F. That doesn't mention the RPM but for me, at least, it's always 1200 to 1900 RPM under a slight load. In other words, warm it up, set the cruise, wait for a highway overpass, and I guarantee it'll happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.