Towing a teardrop on a 2019 4 cylinder 2.5L - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Towing a teardrop on a 2019 4 cylinder 2.5L

Ok I did the math and it looks good on paper, but the more I read the more I second guess. I would like to hear some thoughts about the following (especially from those with the 2.5L 2nd gen).

I have a 2019 2.5L 4 cyl. - Ext cab - 6' bed - G80 diff - 7way is wired up with a class 3 hitch - max 3500 tow capacity. I am planning to tow a teardrop that will have a trailer weight around 2200 to 2400 lbs (2500 lbs worst case - 29% less than factory stated max tow capacity) that has electric brakes and will have a tongue around 250-300 lbs.

98% of the time it is a daily driver and not towing. Planning to take 3-5 trips per year with maybe 1 trip per year going in the mountains like the rockies. Max speed would 65mph. My payload is 1422 and after subtracting: cargo, tongue weight, my wife and I we still have around 400+ of payload left. And I figure our adjusted max tow capacity after using GM trailer guide drops us to around 3090lbs. (which is 19% less than factory stated max. tow capacity). We are definitely under our GVWR by 450-500 lbs and under our GCVWR by 1350 lbs.

Thoughts? Again any 2.5L gassers have any experience to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
Well you have carefully done all your homework. As long as you have proper weight distribution so your tongue weight is at 10-15% of trailer weight it should handle the load no problem. Have fun , take your time down the hills, you will be fine.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 AM

I think you'll be fine. We had a teardrop before we bought our latest camper (Which is why I bought the truck in the first place).

As long as you stay under the towing limit, you will be OK. That sounds like a big teardrop! Ours was around 1100 lbs. loaded. I pulled it with a MINI Cooper.
100MPG, 16WhiteColly and splatmatt like this.

2016 Colorado WT Crew Cab. Black, Appearance Package, Towing Package.
Pedal Commander!
ZROADZ Front LED Mount with Lumen 3 inch pods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Garage
I think you will do fine.
To compare . . . my dad towed the 16' Airstream Bambi trailer with the 1960 Chevrolet Biscayne inline 6 and 3 speed manual transmission up to Estes Park and beyond.

Going up some of the passes was a lot of 2nd gear all the way. And good thing for the electric brakes he had going back down.
You have about 80 more HP in your 2.5L modern engine but maybe 30 lb/ft less torque.
Just keep the RPMs up going up grades and use the manual shift position.
splatmatt likes this.

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
13,200 Miles 12-15-2018
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM

when I am d]towing with my 17 v6 loaded dual axle trailer in tow/haul mode it very commonly switches and drives around in v4 mode
so im sure your v4 with more then half the towing weight would be fine
splatmatt likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM

You should be fine given the numbers you provided. The advantage you have with a teardrop trailer is the small frontal footprint it has to wind resistance. This plays a major role aside from weight when towing at highway speeds.
16WhiteColly and splatmatt like this.

2015 CCSB Z71 4X4 3.6L LFX Red Rock Metallic
BAK G2 cover - Tekonsha Prodigy controller - Tow Pkg
Weathertech mud flaps - Factory tubular steps
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebus View Post
That sounds like a big teardrop! Ours was around 1100 lbs. loaded. I pulled it with a MINI Cooper.
nucamprv.com [email protected] 320 S unloaded weight with a full propane & battery is 1900 lbs with around 190lb tongue. It can handle up to 2900 lbs. And 80% percent of the 2nd Gen 2.5L max tow is 2800lbs - so it seemed like a good match and will wonít be more the 2400lbs (with water tank full - usually we are around 2250lbs. - 2500lbs worse case, but if I bring that much crap it isnít camping - lol).
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmatt View Post
Ok I did the math and it looks good on paper, but the more I read the more I second guess. I would like to hear some thoughts about the following (especially from those with the 2.5L 2nd gen).

I have a 2019 2.5L 4 cyl. - Ext cab - 6' bed - G80 diff - 7way is wired up with a class 3 hitch - max 3500 tow capacity. I am planning to tow a teardrop that will have a trailer weight around 2200 to 2400 lbs (2500 lbs worst case - 29% less than factory stated max tow capacity) that has electric brakes and will have a tongue around 250-300 lbs.

98% of the time it is a daily driver and not towing. Planning to take 3-5 trips per year with maybe 1 trip per year going in the mountains like the rockies. Max speed would 65mph. My payload is 1422 and after subtracting: cargo, tongue weight, my wife and I we still have around 400+ of payload left. And I figure our adjusted max tow capacity after using GM trailer guide drops us to around 3090lbs. (which is 19% less than factory stated max. tow capacity). We are definitely under our GVWR by 450-500 lbs and under our GCVWR by 1350 lbs.

Thoughts? Again any 2.5L gassers have any experience to share?

I towed my [email protected] teardrop with my 2008 Canyon for ~15,000 km. My truck had a 242 hp 3.7L 5cyl engine, and a 4 speed automatic. So, a little more power than the 2.5L, but fewer gears.

When people asked me how the truck towed, I always said it was a very good match for the trailer. It always felt stable, (unless I loaded too much weight behind the trailer's axle). A Tekonsha Primus IQ handled braking duties very well. The engine provided good acceleration for merging onto highways, though sometimes I put my foot to the floor, if there was dense traffic. Climbing hills was good, though the engine did have to rev. Through the hills of PA, to maintain speed, I sometimes had to keep the revs at about 4000 RPM for some climbs, so it was loud, and the engine was working hard, but it did what I needed it to.

Going down to a 200 hp 2.5L 4 cyl, you are certainly going to have to keep the revs high when climbing, so be prepared for that, and understand, that on steep climbs, your speed might drop a bit, especially if at altitude. But, the load is well within your truck's ratings, so its not a safety concern. Just set your expectations accordingly, take your time, and enjoy the ride.

IMG_0072 by Ryan Jakob, on Flickr
JBT, impact, 16WhiteColly and 1 others like this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange. - SOLD
2018 GMC Sierra, 5.3 V8, Elevation 4x4, Stone Blue
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I want to thank everyone for their input... I thought I was ok based on the numbers and staying well below rating maximums. It is helpful to get input from others too. First tow is going to be light (following the trailer break-in procedure which is after the initial engine break-in there is another one regardless of miles for towing.

Page 219 of 2019 Colorado manual
Quote:
• Do not tow a trailer during the first 800 km (500 mi) of vehicle use to prevent damage to the engine, axle, or other parts.
• It is recommended to perform the first oil change before heavy towing.
During the first 800 km (500 mi) of trailer towing, do not drive over 80 km/h (50 mph) and do not make starts at full throttle.
So I will take the trailer on some straight country back roads and get the 500 miles of trailer towing @ 50 and less. I plan on keeping the truck for 10 years (longer if possible).
16WhiteColly likes this.

Last edited by splatmatt; 04-16-2019 at 11:39 AM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I towed my [email protected] teardrop with my 2008 Canyon for ~15,000 km. My truck had a 242 hp 3.7L 5cyl engine, and a 4 speed automatic. So, a little more power than the 2.5L, but fewer gears.

When people asked me how the truck towed, I always said it was a very good match for the trailer. It always felt stable, (unless I loaded too much weight behind the trailer's axle). A Tekonsha Primus IQ handled braking duties very well. The engine provided good acceleration for merging onto highways, though sometimes I put my foot to the floor, if there was dense traffic. Climbing hills was good, though the engine did have to rev. Through the hills of PA, to maintain speed, I sometimes had to keep the revs at about 4000 RPM for some climbs, so it was loud, and the engine was working hard, but it did what I needed it to.

Going down to a 200 hp 2.5L 4 cyl, you are certainly going to have to keep the revs high when climbing, so be prepared for that, and understand, that on steep climbs, your speed might drop a bit, especially if at altitude. But, the load is well within your truck's ratings, so its not a safety concern. Just set your expectations accordingly, take your time, and enjoy the ride.
Good info - that looks nice - thanks for sharing!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Good info - that looks nice - thanks for sharing!

If you have not already found it, there is a very helpful forum for all things [email protected] as well;

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/

This will be the third season my wife and I will be camping in our [email protected] We love it! I blog about all of our travels here:

https://rkjakob.wordpress.com/

Feel free to scroll through the pictures...
splatmatt likes this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange. - SOLD
2018 GMC Sierra, 5.3 V8, Elevation 4x4, Stone Blue
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Garage
Just checking to make sure I am not misreading something here. The trailer has electric brakes and the truck has a 7 pin connector which comes with the GM tow package. I did not see where a brake controller in the truck was mentioned. My understanding is a brake controller is needed to provide electrical through the seven pin connector. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have been to Estes Park and across Trail Ridge Road a number of times. It is my favorite place on earth. You will be revving your engine pretty good. I suggest breaking it in first like you plan to and changing the oil over to a full synthetic of your choice before the trip. Which transmission do you have? Manual or Auto?
16WhiteColly likes this.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 AM

It's a truck that is fundamentally capable of towing 7700lbs. Any lesser ratings are almost purely a function of cooling capacity (while towing at max rating, up a long steep hill, in death valley). Of course you are going to be fine. Just keep an eye on temps like you should anyway.
16WhiteColly likes this.

2017 Colorado v6 ECLB WT Custom Edition Cyber Grey lol2wd G80. But hey it's >300lbs lighter than your CC 4x4, see you at the stop light Best 1/4 Mile - 14.6 seconds

Level is meant to be earned, not installed.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
Just checking to make sure I am not misreading something here. The trailer has electric brakes and the truck has a 7 pin connector which comes with the GM tow package. I did not see where a brake controller in the truck was mentioned. My understanding is a brake controller is needed to provide electrical through the seven pin connector. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have been to Estes Park and across Trail Ridge Road a number of times. It is my favorite place on earth. You will be revving your engine pretty good. I suggest breaking it in first like you plan to and changing the oil over to a full synthetic of your choice before the trip. Which transmission do you have? Manual or Auto?
I have an Prodigy RF brake controller. The 7 way is proper and has a constant hot - GM wires all Colorados ready to go (some just need the receptacle, but relays and proper gauge wire was already in place stock) - Auto 6L50. Already did 500 mi initial break-in (kept under 55 mile per hour with no long constant speeds - backroads) and changed oil. Iím at 3k miles now. I will also follow the recommended trailer towing break-in per manual.

Also oil by default is full syn as it is 0w-20.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:13 AM

Garage
splat att, do you have a brake controller as mentioned above? If not, you really ought to install one. For safety!
splatmatt likes this.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionOverForm View Post
Just keep an eye on temps like you should anyway.
Good point - nice thing about these trucks is that even the small engine versions include the info center with a transmission temp gauge.

Plus I drive slow - as the [email protected] teardrop tires are rated for 65 mph or less and I’m no rush.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
splatmatt, do you have a brake controller as mentioned above? If not, you really ought to install one. For safety!

Yep, it’s a Prodigy RF proportional brake controller.

http://www.tekonsha.com/mobile/produ...RB508pViEKmVBf
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:40 PM

Garage
That will work fine. Watch some YouTube videos and they will help you get it set up right. Takes a little tweaking to get the settings right.

See my album for pics
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
That will work fine. Watch some YouTube videos and they will help you get it set up right. Takes a little tweaking to get the settings right.
I’ve used before on my previous vehicle. It is just as good as the tekonsha p3 just suppose to be easier to move from one vehicle to the next provided a 7way exists.

What do you recommend?
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
I’ve used before on my previous vehicle. It is just as good as the tekonsha p3 just suppose to be easier to move from one vehicle to the next provided a 7way exists.

What do you recommend?
If you have not hooked up the brake controller to the truck, make sure you look in the Owners Manual to find out the color coding for the wires and get a copy of the brake controller wire color coding, so you get them right. May also pull the trailer fuses while hooking up the brake controller wires. There is a guy that has a thread started now, that hooked one up and is constantly blowing fuses now. Unless they changed something on the 2019 model, the 4 wires should be capped off under the drivers side kick panel. See pg. 231 in the Owners Manual. The 4 wires on my 2016 Colorado were:
Red
Black
Blue
White with Blue Stripe

Yours are different colors!

See my album for pics

Last edited by 16WhiteColly; 04-16-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in