Waiting on the tranny to......... - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dmross11
  • 1 Post By monteholic
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Waiting on the tranny to.........

.......shudder, chuggle, shake, whatever......I just hauled 7000 lbs. from Nashville to Charleston through hilly roads, stop/go traffic (thanks, Atlanta!) and for the entire trip, I waited for the trans to do the infamous shudder. Never happened. Trans temp was anywhere from 115-148degrees. Truck has 5000 miles on it. I guess it still could happen eventually, but for this last trip I had no issues. Well, maybe one. I did find in the "tow/haul" mode it was a bit reluctant to shift to a higher gear unless I eased off the accelerator a bit and then it would up-shift. Call me an optimist.....for now......
MaineMan likes this.

2018 Canyon Denali Metallic Red
K&N Air
Diode Dynamics SL1, Brake, 3rd Brake
Bakflip MX4 Tonneau
Amp Research Bed Extender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 05:59 AM

Has nothing to do with towing. The TSB describes it perfectly.

I was shudder-free for 28,000 miles, then one day it started...

2017 Colorado LT V6 CCSB 2WD • mfg date 11-16 • Belltech 999SP 3/4 drop • Raceline 927M Mamba HD 20x9 wheels • all LED lighting inside and out • DRL relocation harness • LineX • Lomax Tri-Fold aluminum tonneau • de-badged • bowtie blackout • painted pinch-weld & window trim • power tailgate lock • Pedal Commander • Katzkin leather • tint • Kicker amp/sub
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 06:36 AM

My shudder appeared at 8k mikes and I have never towed with my Colorado

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV10 View Post
Has nothing to do with towing. The TSB describes it perfectly.

I was shudder-free for 28,000 miles, then one day it started...

yeah, I get that, but I would think putting a large load on the trans. would induce it.....or at least cause a burp...

2018 Canyon Denali Metallic Red
K&N Air
Diode Dynamics SL1, Brake, 3rd Brake
Bakflip MX4 Tonneau
Amp Research Bed Extender
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:45 PM

Garage
towing probably not...

the shudder has to do with the TC lock up, and while towing rarely (if ever) are you getting in 7th or 8th gear and the TC clutch being applied

my shudder showed up shortly after getting my truck, I had the flush performed @ 2400 miles and it has fine fine so far (knock on wood)
White016 likes this.

2019 ZR2 Dusk Edition
2003 LS1 Corvette
1971 Monte Carlo SS454
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:58 PM

Mine just started acting up (at the dealer the last few days for the newest flush) and I doubt towing would do it. Usually, for me at least, the shudder happened under a light load (slight incline), 7th or 8th gear, 1200~1300ish rpms from pretty much anywhere from 35 to 50 mph. Towing will never keep you in that low an rpm range, so that’s likely why you haven’t felt it. Like others, I have never towed and my truck has just 2300 miles on it. The shudder is also incredibly subtle and you have to know exactly what to look for (initially at least). I had to find smooth sections of road to test in on, which is obviously tricky given the other conditions (slight incline, right speed, low rpms, correct gear). I only realized after they gave me a loaner Colorado just how obvious mine was. It’s possible towing exacerbates the issues that cause the shudder, but I doubt many will feel it in its initial stages while actually towing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteholic View Post
towing probably not...

the shudder has to do with the TC lock up, and while towing rarely (if ever) are you getting in 7th or 8th gear and the TC clutch being applied

my shudder showed up shortly after getting my truck, I had the flush performed @ 2400 miles and it has fine fine so far (knock on wood)
How many miles have you put on since the repair?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 02:12 PM

I've experienced it now at just about any speed, sometimes subtle, but sometimes it'll shake my teeth out. I really need to make an appointment, but I've had fresh new minor disasters crop up every week since it started.

2017 Colorado LT V6 CCSB 2WD • mfg date 11-16 • Belltech 999SP 3/4 drop • Raceline 927M Mamba HD 20x9 wheels • all LED lighting inside and out • DRL relocation harness • LineX • Lomax Tri-Fold aluminum tonneau • de-badged • bowtie blackout • painted pinch-weld & window trim • power tailgate lock • Pedal Commander • Katzkin leather • tint • Kicker amp/sub
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmross11 View Post
yeah, I get that, but I would think putting a large load on the trans. would induce it.....or at least cause a burp...
So when you consider that a test drive with a PICO scope attached to capture the "true" shudder is THE official method to get it covered under the TSB, I think folks underestimate how exact a test condition has been set up by GM, right down to guaranteeing (in their minds, at least) that if it is truly "the shudder" and nothing else, it WILL happen during this situation where conditions are forcing the behavior to present itself if it exists - and not only that - here is the rub - the amount or reaction of shudder must be to a certain extreme for GM to consider "the shudder" to not be "within specs". The definition, as it exists currently, is very exacting and I think for some can cause confusion and frustration. Some have been lucky enough to have a service department execute the TSB out of customer care without necessarily following the letter of the GM law. Yet to play itself out is how GM eventually handles or does not handle the remaining minority of inventory that presents some sort of continuing concerns post Blue Label TSB service. Pulling a trailer, or any other attempt at discovering "a shudder" yourself, is meaningless to the well-defined GM process. As has been said a thousand times over, just enjoy your truck the best you can. The last thing that you want to torture yourself with is trying to make a problem happen and then risk having a problem not meet the proper threshold for repair. Instead, rejoice that you are more or less problem free in this regard at this point in time. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by!!

Last edited by bisonbumps; Today at 02:27 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 02:25 PM

One thing I haven't been clear about is whether the Pico scope is just a data-logger (Pico makes both data-loggers and full-blown oscilloscopes) or whether they can actually force TC lockup and induce the shudder on demand. In another thread somebody said they have a way to disable lockup, so I sort of assume they can also engage it, maybe? There are some days the shudder just doesn't happen at all, on its own -- and with my luck it'll be one of those days when I bring it in. (Next week -- finally made the appointment!)

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV10 View Post
One thing I haven't been clear about is whether the Pico scope is just a data-logger (Pico makes both data-loggers and full-blown oscilloscopes) or whether they can actually force TC lockup and induce the shudder on demand. In another thread somebody said they have a way to disable lockup, so I sort of assume they can also engage it, maybe? There are some days the shudder just doesn't happen at all, on its own -- and with my luck it'll be one of those days when I bring it in. (Next week -- finally made the appointment!)

I have been told by service that this process will force the issue absolutely. So in their minds as I have been told, there will be no doubts whatsoever. The issue as I tend to hear it is how bad, if at all, the shudder gets duplicated and then the old "falls within spec" frustration. I think that is where the "drive more miles" recommendation comes from. By-the-book service (vs customer care oriented service) will need to meet the very specific test result criteria and submit that to be fully covered for the cost of executing the TSB to it's fullest. So much of this comes down the the service dept chosen and how they choose to react IMO.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:41 PM

Garage
Over 23k miles on my 2017 8 spd. I haven't had any shudder issues.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

Check out my YouTube Channel! - How To's & Product Reviews
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 04:23 PM

I have a 2019 z71 09/18 build date and around 250 miles I'm not sure if it's in my brain or what but when I'm cruising around 45-60 and give it some gas (without downshifting) in 7th or 8th gear I feel the slightest vibration but then it downshifts a second or two after that. I feel like if I let a tech drive it they'd give it a "could not duplicate" sign off... should I just wait to bring it up when it gets bad? Other than that i love this truck. Just trying to figure out the best way to toss the grenade on this issue to where it doesn't blow up in my face.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in