New ZR2, I think they were drunk/high at the factory - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

New ZR2, I think they were drunk/high at the factory

Hey everyone, I picked up my new ZR2 about 2 weeks ago. I had gone to the dealer on a Saturday and was disappointed to find that my first choice color (silver) wasn't readily available. They had a black one (second choice) on the showroom floor, so I put down a deposit, and said I'd be back the following Wednesday. Its a good thing I waited, because when I got there, I found a silver one with the wrapping still on it sitting there. It had just rolled off the truck the previous day. At least, I hope its a good thing, because...

In the passenger door pocket, there was something rattling around, and I found what looks like a panel or speaker clip. Then beneath the rear seat, I found what looks like an unused body panel bolt. Yesterday, I found out that my windshield washer was not working (crappy timing too, it was snowing).

So today, I opened the hood for the first time, and found two bundles of unused zip ties laying in the mess of wires in front of the battery. Most of the wires there were barely cleaned up and the 2 zip ties actually used, loose I might add, the leftover wasn't even clipped off. I cleaned up all that nonsense. I loosed the windshield cowl enough to get a peek in there, and found that the main washer fluid line was just dangling there. I connected it, and the sprayers work now.

I'm feeling pretty good about the extended warranty that I bought now, as I usually decline them. I hope whatever idiot(s) that was responsible for all this stuff was just assigned to menial final assembly tasks, as he/she clearly couldn't pull off anything more advanced. The truck runs great, and I've tested all the major systems as apparently working, so that's a plus.

I dig the truck and have only minor complaints so far. $48,000+ and no garage door opener? The interior is overly plasticy, but of course I knew that going in. As some reviews have stated, the truck is cool enough to forgive it.

I bought a Pedal Commander and set it to City +2 as recommend here. That totally transforms how the truck drives for the better, I was shocked. I added a Truxedo soft tonneau as well (whoever wrote the instructions at that company must now work at the GM assembly plant). It fits... ish. Good enough anyway.

Also I bought a new set of wheels and tires: Wrangler DuraTracs in 265/70/17 (1" taller than stock), and KMC XD139 Portal wheels (17x8.5 +18mm offset). I put the stock DuraTracs on mywife's '18 Jeep Sport+ this morning. So far the new tires haven't rubbed at all, they seem to clear fine. I'd guess in more serious off road conditions, a tad bit of plastic trimming would be necessary though. Probably not much.

Anyway, here is a quickie garage pic. Truck is dirty right now due to the snow storm. And a pic of my growing collection of spare parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage.jpg (246.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg parts.jpg (273.8 KB, 77 views)
Toughsox likes this.

Last edited by Mudflap; Yesterday at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

Maybe that stuff was left over after the sportsbar and lighting wiring was done... on a Friday of course. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Toughsox, Xwd, F8LZ71 and 1 others like this.

| 2017 Colorado ZR2 V6 | 33" Goodyear Duratracs | 1" RC Level KIT | 1.5" Zoneoffroad Bodylift | 589fab HD Shock Skids | 31 inch 5D Led Light Bar | 120 degree pods with Rago hood brackets | NFAB bed mount spare tire relocation | DeeZee black tool box | Maxliner floormats |
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustZR2 View Post
Maybe that stuff was left over after the sportsbar and lighting wiring was done... on a Friday of course. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I mean, its possible I suppose. Given the windshield washer not connected and the other hidden random parts laying around... I'm going with the factory though, lol.
FaustZR2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Garage
I don't get buying an extended warranty when it comes with 3 years from GM. Just FYI, you can buy warranties on used vehicles too, yes even if you own it already.

Good looking truck.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Nice looking ZR2,

When I installed my Truxedo Titanium cover, I first watched video's and then installed it, a couple days later re-installed it and then tweaked it a couple days after that. Been perfect ever since.

I live a few miles from the plant and every now and then some one will say "I work where we built your truck" and I sometimes I want to say "you did a crappy job".

A good friend works there, but I am not sure he even knows how to change a tire..

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White016 View Post
I don't get buying an extended warranty when it comes with 3 years from GM. Just FYI, you can buy warranties on used vehicles too, yes even if you own it already.

Good looking truck.

Yeah, I've bought about 25 new vehicles over the years and 2 or 3 used, I know the drill, lol. Only reason I said yes this time, is the long/comprehensive warranty, GAP, and prepaid maintenance package only raised the payment by 42 bucks a month. I'm at the point in the my life that I don't have to worry about that level of money expenditure, so I just shrugged and said fine, add it, whatever.
Toughsox, White016 and Hunter62 like this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

I would contact the dealership and Chevy. They sound know about the issues you had.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2019 white Bison.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked View Post
I would contact the dealership and Chevy. They sound know about the issues you had.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This. Get it documented at the dealer just in case something pops up in the future and they want to blame you.
White016 likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
Xwd

That bolt and retainer look like they're for one of the side steps, as a similar style is used there.

Could also be leftover from the sport bar and aux lights - zip ties.

If nothing else, the dealership should have caught that when doing PDI. Or, at the last stop, the detail/lot porter should have caught it when cleaning it up for delivery. That's part of why those pre-delivery processes exist.

2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Duramax Extended Cab
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

Garage
Free zipties, and the clips and bolt go to your rocker bars. Wouldn't worry about it, many of us have found a couple of bolts, mainly the pass side kick panel cover bolt.
Hunter62 and Mudflap like this.

-- vi et armis invictus maneo --

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic184978_3.gif
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

You got the RPO 99 option. It is the spare fastener option.

Seriously I would not be too worried as things like this is not totally never seen. I have been in vehicles that have not been prepped and found many things left in the car.

These are just simple fasteners that can get easily dropped.
Mudflap likes this.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

Actually, this is normal (not sure the windshield wipers stuff is) but things like the rock sliders, sports bar and many other LPOs are dealer installed, so some of those items are thrown in the truck at the factory for the dealers and some are shipped from ADIs to the dealers. Who failed in this was the dealer, as they did not complete their PDI which GM pays them to do, which includes installing these items and cleaning the truck up with all the stuff that was left in it. I would complain to GM and your dealer, because they got paid for something they did not do properly.
N1CKV and Mudflap like this.

'19 ZR2 Bison EC Diesel
#IWorkForGM-IT Business Analyst
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrengerMO View Post
This. Get it documented at the dealer just in case something pops up in the future and they want to blame you.
Agreed, take it in and tell them about the problems. Just ask them to look it over, tell them you are concerned. This way it's documented and it might save you from getting screwed out of a warranty issue down the road.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

It's all you guys fault for making them speed up the assembly line to meet your demands. I found a spare bolt in a new Ram truck I bought and some little clip fell from the dash of my Canyon. If you've every seen an assembly plant in person you'd see there's just no time to deal with dropped parts.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
It's all you guys fault for making them speed up the assembly line to meet your demands. I found a spare bolt in a new Ram truck I bought and some little clip fell from the dash of my Canyon. If you've every seen an assembly plant in person you'd see there's just no time to deal with dropped parts.
Now that you mention it, I'm kind of surprised the wheels don't fall off straight from the factory.
Toughsox and 404 Not Found like this.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

From being described as 'still wrapped' it sounds like you picked out a truck that hadn't made it through dealer detailing yet. The factory isn't responsible for getting them showroom ready.
Tom S. likes this.

2019 ZR2 3.6l Summit white
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwd View Post
If nothing else, the dealership should have caught that when doing PDI. Or, at the last stop, the detail/lot porter should have caught it when cleaning it up for delivery. That's part of why those pre-delivery processes exist.
I think all they did to mine was take it out of demo mode, the sales lady had already removed the plastic from the seats prior to my test drive, then before I picked it up they washed it with a push broom, sneezed on the steering wheel and gauge cluster, put some tire shine on it and called it done. I pulled a wheel off the first week to check out the brakes and found the lug nuts were too easy to break loose, so I went over the rest and torqued to 100 ft lbs. Some took a good half turn to get there.

2019 Colorado CCSB Z71 2wd
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

Garage
Lug nut torque spec for the twins is 140 ft lb, so you might want to go around again.
Toughsox, 404 Not Found and Tom S. like this.

-- vi et armis invictus maneo --

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic184978_3.gif
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
From being described as 'still wrapped' it sounds like you picked out a truck that hadn't made it through dealer detailing yet. The factory isn't responsible for getting them showroom ready.

I picked it up a week later. It was PDI'd during that time. Allegedly...

The random fasteners are not a big deal. The packs of loose zip ties floating around the engine bay, slipshod wiring work, and disconnected wiper fluid line are the most disturbing. Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it. Everything is sorted, and the truck runs fine.
Toughsox likes this.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbear View Post
Lug nut torque spec for the twins is 140 ft lb, so you might want to go around again.

Thanks, always a good idea! The wheels were swapped by Big-O, and I checked the lugs with my torque wrench the next day. All were spot-on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in