4wd vs auto rear locker - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Guess I thought no one had funerals in winter in snow country?
Depends on what you call, "snow country". In places that regularly get heavy, constant snow, it's much easier to get around in it. Better infrastructure, and drivers who are used to it. And it packs down and is easier to drive on. I'd rather drive through a foot of snow in Wisconsin than a half-inch in Louisiana (done that, it sucked).

And most people in my line of work plan their vehicle purchases accordingly.

2018 Z71 Midnight CC/LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Depends on what you call, "snow country". In places that regularly get heavy, constant snow, it's much easier to get around in it. Better infrastructure, and drivers who are used to it. And it packs down and is easier to drive on. I'd rather drive through a foot of snow in Wisconsin than a half-inch in Louisiana (done that, it sucked).

And most people in my line of work plan their vehicle purchases accordingly.
Well, I am from South Louisiana, have lived in Michigan, and agree with your assessment of the roads in snow. Worst I ever saw was in DFW when we had the cobblestone ice. (Google it, it was quite the news story here a few years ago.)

My comment was really directed at the fact that in places like Wisconsin, you typically can't dig a hole for Mama till the ground thaws.

I was shocked when I lived in Michigan and discovered you couldn't build houses year round up there.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Depends on what you call, "snow country". In places that regularly get heavy, constant snow, it's much easier to get around in it. Better infrastructure, and drivers who are used to it. And it packs down and is easier to drive on. I'd rather drive through a foot of snow in Wisconsin than a half-inch in Louisiana (done that, it sucked)..
Add hills to a seldom snowing area like Seattle and a half inch will be called Snowmageddon.
'05Train and mkersting like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Add hills to a seldom snowing area like Seattle and a half inch will be called Snowmageddon.
I got caught on I-10 going from New Orleans to Baton Rouge in a (for us) small ice storm. Might have been 1/4" of ice on the road. I was delivering my daughter's car, and had to detour all over the place, because 10 (and 12, and every road with a bridge) had been shut down throughout BR. I showed an LSP my Maryland license and told him I'd have no problem. It was the only way I made it to my motel that night.

2018 Z71 Midnight CC/LB
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:58 PM

Heck, I used to drive a beat up 78 Mercury Monarch in Colorado Springs and a 92 Geo Metro. Drove from ice, snow and everything in between. Yes, made easier to drive around on my 92 Astro AWD. Traded for a 94 Pontiac Grand Prix and drove that thing in MN for several years. Funny is, had an 86 Suburban and hardly used the 4x4, the rust killed it way before its time. Traded that thing for an 03 Impala, no ABS, near base model. Drove that thing all over the place including on an Ski trip to Copper Mountain. Still own that car, my mother in law is driving it.

Not knocking down AWD or 4x4, by my experience, never been in a situation that really need it. So bought my truck with the Locker as a cost reduction. Turned out to be a darn good one.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:25 PM

Hell, I can drive a nail with a pair of pliers. That doesn't mean that there isn't a better tool for the job.
jabush and Goodspike like this.

2018 Z71 Midnight CC/LB
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Hell, I can drive a nail with a pair of pliers. That doesn't mean that there isn't a better tool for the job.

Your 4x4's and AWD's are not better tools in the hands to today's thought patterns etc. They are now weapons of stupidity. You mentions people up here are used to driving in snow, so they do it better. I live there and see this all winter, those driving the "better tools" use their collective brains less or even at all because I got 4X4 and AWD and I CAN DRIVE ANYWHERE IN ANYTHING, I'M INVINCIBLE, MOVE OUTTA NY WAY.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Rado 09 View Post
Your 4x4's and AWD's are not better tools in the hands to today's thought patterns etc. They are now weapons of stupidity. You mentions people up here are used to driving in snow, so they do it better. I live there and see this all winter, those driving the "better tools" use their collective brains less or even at all because I got 4X4 and AWD and I CAN DRIVE ANYWHERE IN ANYTHING, I'M INVINCIBLE, MOVE OUTTA NY WAY.
That's how I stay in business. People take their safety for granted.

Give a person that knows what they're doing and pays attention to driving the better tool, and they'll be even better and even safer. Give someone who takes driving for granted and is more interested in their phone than their safety the better tool, and you'll be giving me a call when they take themselves and those around them out.
jabush and Goodspike like this.

2018 Z71 Midnight CC/LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode