4wd vs auto rear locker - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:38 PM

Location: Currently full-time RV traveler, looking for a new career in Washington or Oregon.
Garage
Two questions...

1) Does slamming into lock mode like that do damage? Seems pretty harsh. That's a lot of torque for a little gear, but I'm not a metallurgist.

2) Someone mentioned above that leaving the Colorado in 4WD 'Auto' indefinitely won't hurt it. I mention this because the manual suggests it will create premature wear and tear. Normally you don't say something like that in a technical manual unless they don't suggest it.

"Ragnar": 2017 Duramax 4x4 Z71
-----------------------------------
04/20: Ordered at dealer
04/25: Accepted by GM (2000)
04/26: TPW 05/08 given (3000)
04/29: Vehicle ready to build (3300)
05/05: Order sent to production (3400)
05/13: 0946 AM, Ragnar is born
05/17: Delivered to dealership (5000)
05/24: Delivered to me (6000)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
Well now, it's not all that bad up here in the Great White North!
I really think it depends on terrain more than the frequency of snow. I always roll my eyes at someone who says they know how to drive in the snow because they learned to do so in Iowa. It can also depend on the vehicle and how much weight is over the drive wheels. I would suspect the crewcab Canyon/Colorados are better in the snow than the extended cabs when in 2WD.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Garage
For 2WD . . it also helps to have a 165lb cap on the back and a 60lb tool box. Bridgestone Dueler RH-S tires help also if a person wants a mild, good riding AT type tire.

Never have any trouble in snow with 2WD.
In my 3rd 2WD Colorado CCSB with G80 locker since 2005.

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
13,200 Miles 12-15-2018
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-14-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I really think it depends on terrain more than the frequency of snow. I always roll my eyes at someone who says they know how to drive in the snow because they learned to do so in Iowa. It can also depend on the vehicle and how much weight is over the drive wheels. I would suspect the crewcab Canyon/Colorados are better in the snow than the extended cabs when in 2WD.
I rarely put weight in my Crewcabs (my 18 Z71 and my 04 Canyon were both crew cabs). I always found the weight of the cab really did a lot for traction. I had an old 80s Ranger and a nissan Hardbody that I had to put weight in the bed to get better traction.
I wish I could claim that every Canadian was an amazing winter driver (or that we all wear plaid and are innate lumberjacks with flawless French accents honed while training our pet beavers to pull our toboggans across the vast hinterlands of the arctic tundra) but there are a whole lot of inept, idiotic and inexperienced drivers on he roads up here, especially during the first snow storm of the year! Honestly, it usually stops snowing March or April in most of the country and can begin again as early as October or November and in that time it seems like most people completely forget how to drive in snow or freezing rain...
Proper equipment (I'm an advocate for snow tires which aren't always an asset in icy conditions) and awareness of road conditions are the key. I don't care how your vehicle is set up though - you can put it in the ditch or cause an accident by overdriving the road conditions.

Don't forget though, we all think that 4wd will get us out of trouble but there is a flip side too. It can get you into deeper trouble too because you can end up stuck somewhere that a 2wd would never have gotten to...
CaryBosse, F8LZ71 and OldNorske like this.

Sold-2004 GMC Canyon SLE
2wd CCSB, 3.5L I5, Silver Birch
A.R.E. Cap

2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
4X4 CCSB, 3.6L V6, Black
tow package
Chevy spray in bedliner
OEM Tonneau
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
I wish I could claim that every Canadian was an amazing winter driver (or that we all wear plaid and are innate lumberjacks with flawless French accents honed while training our pet beavers to pull our toboggans across the vast hinterlands of the arctic tundra) but there are a whole lot of inept, idiotic and inexperienced drivers on he roads up here, especially during the first snow storm of the year!
Well I'm sure it's better there than here in Western Washington. My advice to outsiders is that when it starts snowing either leave work ASAP or stay to 8 or 9 p.m. so that the others are off the road (or at least no longer trying to move).

On the other hand, we handle rain really well compared to say L.A.

Quote:
Don't forget though, we all think that 4wd will get us out of trouble but there is a flip side too. It can get you into deeper trouble too because you can end up stuck somewhere that a 2wd would never have gotten to...
That's why God invented winches!
JayH likes this.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:34 PM

Garage
Thinking about it, this snow discussion is academic for me as long as I have my old Ranger working. If there's snow on the ground I'm going to be more likely to take out my $2,000 vehicle rather than my $30,000 vehicle. The changeover would be when it starts to clear, when being able to go in AWD and not have to worry about not having a center differential would be nice.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:02 PM

I live Wayne County NY in the heart of one of the regions Lake Ontario takes aim at in the winter with its Lake effect snow. For those who have no idea what Lake effect snow it. well there is no storm system, just minor disturbances, wind packed and very cold and these set off snows that can dump feet in a very short time. Just a couple of years ago, Oswego, just easy of us got 110+ inches in a week.
One 1983 S10 long box, 2 5 speed S10 Blazers, many rear wheel drive cars, 09 Colorado Crew and now a 2019 Colorado extended cab, all G80 equipped. along with Blizzaks or Winter force tires and I never have gotten stuck of slide off road. Pulled a boat also!!!! I see actually more 4x4's sliding off road and getting stuck because they have 4 wheel drive. 4 Wheel drive can do anything and go anywhere, YEAH OK. I just pass then and wave!!!!! Its how you drive no how its equipped.
FunctionOverForm and JayH like this.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:39 PM

I rock this Westin grille guard and 10k smittybilt X2O
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ex_q70_w850_h850_40-93845_ov2_1555281597393.jpg (98.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 97510-01_1555281755157.jpg (14.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Rangerscott; 04-14-2019 at 06:43 PM.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 PM

Lockers on a 2WD will give you more traction than a 2WD without lockers, but it comes with some nasty side effects as well. What 4WD buys you is stability. Since you have one front tire pulling, it tends to pull you in a straighter line. With 2WD, you don't have that front tire grabbing and to make matters worse, you now have both back tires spinning and there is now nothing to keep your back end straight. This results in a tendency for the vehicle to slide out uncontrollably.

I'm not saying that 4WD is the end all be all, but if I'm driving in snow, that little bit of extra assurance for my stability is why I enjoy driving a 4x4. Besides, going somewhere where most can't go is a really cool feeling to me.

To sum it all up, 2WD with lockers is not as great as it may seem, but at the end of the day, you will get more traction of course it comes at a cost.
F8LZ71 and JayH like this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Today, 04:52 PM

Garage
I had a Toyota salesperson ask why I wanted 4 wheel drive, when the Tacoma I was looking at had a locking rear end. My wife (at the time) told her that she thought it was a "guy thing".

If I'm saying I want to spend a little more, why would you question my motivation for buying something if you get a commission off of it??

I ended up with a 2WD Colorado, and it is a far better truck. I wish I had the G80, but it does fine with some sand bags in the rear. It does tend to tear up the girlfriend's parents' yard if I back off of the driveway when it is muddy, but I haven't gotten hopelessly stuck (yet).

2016 Colorado WT extended cab
2.5L, Laser Blue 4x2
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old Today, 07:54 PM

Around here in the winter not even 2WD with my G80 compares to 4WD. Stop on a hill with snow and try to get going again in 2WD, not happening. Not with the OEM tires, anyway. Switch to Auto 4WD and Iím up and away with no drama.

Just no comparison when it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old Today, 08:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Around here in the winter not even 2WD with my G80 compares to 4WD. Stop on a hill with snow and try to get going again in 2WD, not happening. Not with the OEM tires, anyway. Switch to Auto 4WD and Iím up and away with no drama.
People keep saying to use 2WD and snow tires. That's an ongoing expense and a PITA even if you have rims. With 4WD/AWD there's really little need for snow tires for most people. And the 4WD/AWD system is always installed on your car/truck!

Personally my preference would have been for AWD and a locking (not auto locking) rear end. But I didn't end up getting that. I don't even remember if it's offered on the LT and I didn't want the off road trims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in