• 2 Post By DieselDrax
  • 1 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By DieselDrax
  • 3 Post By Xwd
  • 2 Post By Wolfman01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Towing a UHaul Car Trailer

I have a 2017 3.6 Colorado Crew Cab short box with the General Motors receiver hitch. I'm planning on hauling my pro-touring 66 Mustang to Goodguys in Columbus, Ohio from my place in Arlington on a Uhaul aluminum car trailer with surge brakes. The car weighs 2600 lbs and the trailer 2200 lbs for a total of 4800 lbs. Will I need air springs or helper springs? Or am I good to go? Thanks for your help.
Toughsox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 PM

I towed a 2003 Audi A6 Quattro (roughly 4000 lbs) on a Uhaul car trailer with 3 adults and our luggage around 400 miles last fall without incident on I-75. I have the 3.6/8 speed with the factory tow package/trailer brakes so I have the 7500 lb hitch. I used a 1.75" raised receiver which put the trailer level with all of us in the truck and it handled it awesome. Felt stronger towing than the 97 Silverado I had before. You certainly dont NEED helper springs/air bags or anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colorado2.jpg (230.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Colorado1.jpg (82.8 KB, 37 views)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:41 PM

I'm sure you'll be fine, the car transports are usually pretty well set up but it's annoying that you have to have the vehicle all the way at the front and can't position the car on the trailer to get the weight balance just right.

If you think tongue weight is an issue you could try backing the car on to the trailer so you have less weight at the front, but I would pull straight on first.

My bigger concern for you is ride height of your Mustang, the ramp and break-over angle where the ramps meet the trailer isn't exactly gentle, be very careful that you don't drag the bottom of the car on the rear of the trailer and think about having some planks handy to lessen the ramp angle if necessary.

Also, you may have to climb in/out through the window, the fender on the trailer doesn't drop down low enough to allow the door to open very wide on cars that sit low to the ground.
16WhiteColly likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:17 PM

On the Uhaul car trailer I had, the fender actually folded down on a hinge so you could open the drivers door
Xwd and G92Z28 like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizey93 View Post
On the Uhaul car trailer I had, the fender actually folded down on a hinge so you could open the drivers door

Correct, but I have had vehicles that were too low to open the door even with the fender down. The OP has a pro-touring car which is likely quite low and I expect they’ll have the same issue I had with door clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:28 PM

I hauled a Chevy Volt on a UHaul car trailer with a ZR2. 500 miles with no issues. Those trailers pull extremely well.
G92Z28 likes this.

2018 Colorado Satin Steel CC ZR2 Diesel
Ordered: 2/6/18
Built: 3/6/18
Delivered to dealer: 3/9/18
Delivered to Me: 3/13/18

Previous Rides:
2016 Canyon CC SB All Terrain Adventure Package
2016 Cyber Gray CC LB Z71 4x4

Last edited by lil Dave; 04-11-2019 at 11:39 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:31 PM

Towed a 2002 Lexus ES about 100 miles a couple of years ago without issue. U-Haul gave me a hard time with their tongue weight calculations, and I don't think I technically met their guidelines, but I pestered them enough to let me take the trailer. I believe they also offer a lighter car trailer, but this was the only one they had available that day, and we were in a bind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170430_162232.jpg (200.6 KB, 30 views)
16WhiteColly likes this.

Canyon SLT . CC . SB . V6 . 4x4 . Copper Red . Cocoa/Dune
Purchased New 7/15 . Husky Floor Liners . Truxedo Lo Pro . SEALIGHT S2 LED Highs and Lows . BPS T2 LED Fogs . Michelin Defender LTX M/S . Pop & Lock
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 PM

Garage
All things being equal you will be fine. You are well within your GVWR.

" I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work." -C. Titus
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all, I really appreciate the help. The Uhaul trailer looks pretty impressive to me. Here's photo of the Mustang I'll be hauling. As you can see, it's not slammed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang Front.jpg (101.8 KB, 31 views)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
In TFLTrucks tests the Colorado/Canyon squatted relatively little. If you're concerned I'd go with a weight distributing hitch over air bags. You can pick one up for about $200, but look for one that is easy to set up and doesn't require anything to be permanently attached to the trailer. I went with an Eaz-Lift model. My main complaint about that is needing to torque the bolts to 260 foot pounds. That required buying some heavier equipment than what I owned.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
In TFLTrucks tests the Colorado/Canyon squatted relatively little. If you're concerned I'd go with a weight distributing hitch over air bags. You can pick one up for about $200, but look for one that is easy to set up and doesn't require anything to be permanently attached to the trailer. I went with an Eaz-Lift model. My main complaint about that is needing to torque the bolts to 260 foot pounds. That required buying some heavier equipment than what I owned.
WDH won't work with a U-Haul trailer, no place to mount any brackets due to the design of the tongue and frame.
CaryBosse and 16WhiteColly like this.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
WDH won't work with a U-Haul trailer, no place to mount any brackets due to the design of the tongue and frame.
Really? Is it like this one at the 23 second mark?

I assume that's a brake mechanism up front.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:37 PM

Garage
Most U Haul trailers are equipped with Surge Brakes and WD Hitches are not supposed to be used with them, even if you could find a way to mount one.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:

U-Haul uses a surge brake on their larger trailers to provide braking without the renter having to install trailer brakes.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Most U Haul trailers are equipped with Surge Brakes and WD Hitches are not supposed to be used with them, even if you could find a way to mount one.
Not an expert here, but with the surge brake, the length of the trailer tongue will change as you stop, compressing the cylinder to apply hydraulic brake pressure to the wheels.

I would guess that the changes in length, even if fairly small, would prevent a proper WD hitch setup.

The big thing from U-Haul's standpoint is they want to make towing their trailers easy so any fool, even a Ridgeline owner, can do it.
G92Z28 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5vPIZa_Ak

Correct, they're like that. Surge brake issue aside, the frame doesn't split into a Y until too far back, farther than WDH bars could reach. Most WDH systems have the brackets mounted around 28-29 inches back from the ball. Doesn't look like there's room to mount brackets until around 36" at least.
Goodspike likes this.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Xwd

I've pulled a stock IROC on a u-haul double-axle car trailer before. The fender drops low enough to open the door (minimal clearance, but it works). The bigger issue was the ramp angle. Had to use some wood scrap to get the front wheels to ride up high enough so the front spoiler wouldn't scrape pulling it on. You might have to get a little creative with the loading.

Truck should pull it just fine.

If the uhaul guys hook up the trailer, be sure to check their work when they're done. It's not that I don't trust them, it's that it's my load to pull. They're busy, they work fast, and they don't always have a lot of experience.
CaryBosse, G92Z28 and Goodspike like this.

2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Duramax Extended Cab
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:07 PM

Garage
I hauled a full size Range Rover to the dump on mine using a U-Haul trailer. No noticeable squat. There are pics on one of my anniversary posts buried in the threads someplace. I pretty much hit the max limit on my truck's towing capacity.

2015 Rally Yellow Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab (31k) "Colly"

MODS: 2016 Trail Boss sport bar and lights, Backing plates on sport bar for "Colorado" badge painted Rally Yellow, Westin brush guard with winch tray, Trailmaster 6000 lb winch, Rough Country light bar, Window tint, soft tonneau cover, LED fog lights, high, and low beam headlights
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwd View Post
I've pulled a stock IROC on a u-haul double-axle car trailer before. The fender drops low enough to open the door (minimal clearance, but it works). The bigger issue was the ramp angle. Had to use some wood scrap to get the front wheels to ride up high enough so the front spoiler wouldn't scrape pulling it on. You might have to get a little creative with the loading.

Truck should pull it just fine.

If the uhaul guys hook up the trailer, be sure to check their work when they're done. It's not that I don't trust them, it's that it's my load to pull. They're busy, they work fast, and they don't always have a lot of experience.

I've accounted for clearance issues with ramps on U-Haul trailers by putting the storage post down, and using it to lift the tongue while still attached to the truck.
DieselDrax and G92Z28 like this.

2015 Rally Yellow Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab (31k) "Colly"

MODS: 2016 Trail Boss sport bar and lights, Backing plates on sport bar for "Colorado" badge painted Rally Yellow, Westin brush guard with winch tray, Trailmaster 6000 lb winch, Rough Country light bar, Window tint, soft tonneau cover, LED fog lights, high, and low beam headlights
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 AM

When I bought my 1976 Firebird last November I rented a Uhaul trailer. I went on their website to reserve it and when I put in all the information it said my truck was not suitable for the load. I borrowed a friends 2500 HD Silverado Duramax to pick it up. I was pleasantly surprised by my whole Uhaul experience. The person that hooked the trailer up was very knowledgeable. The trailer worked fantastic. The Firebird door cleared the fold down fender easily and the trailer loaded and towed fantastic. It was a surge brake trailer which is not as smooth as an electric brake trailer but it worked very well. I would definitely use them again. I was hoping to tow it with my 2018 Colorado but maybe Uhaul felt there was not enough safety margin with their trailer, my Firebird and the towing capacity of the Colorado.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode