Onstar Is Not A Popular Topic???? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:47 AM

During my free trial of Onstar my power steering went out. Figured I would try roadside assistance since I was out of town and in Canada to boot. Lady wasn't helpful at all. Told me to drive (hello, power steering is out completely lady) to a store several miles away and put fluid in it (it's an EPS system...so no go). Called Chevy roadside and was quickly hooked up with a rental, tow truck and dealer to make the repairs. Might be nice for the peace of mind knowing crash response would be quick, but 9 times out of 10, somebody will be nearby to help out or call 911. The situation I had was one I could have made tow/dealer/rental calls myself, but wanted to see how service was from onstar and chevy roadside. I got my answers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker DeWitt View Post
I hate OnStar. As others have posted, they are monitoring your vehicle, sharing data about you with dealers plus whomever they decide. I opted to refuse service and it's written on my sales contracts, and I still get the emails with vehicle use data.

One of these days when I'm not busy I'm going to research the laws on data privacy and give them a call to see if they can be persuaded to stop pinging my truck.
The salesperson made a mistake then. You can absolutely opt out of OnStar; it's just a box you check for "decline."

-Eric

I manage one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in the country. If you're having problems with a dealer or have a question about something, I'd be happy to help.
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Smit View Post
The salesperson made a mistake then. You can absolutely opt out of OnStar; it's just a box you check for "decline."
Thank, Eric, I'm sure it's possible, but it sure isn't easy. One reason I'm peevish about this is I already called OnStar as soon as I realized what happened and instructed them to immediately terminate my service. Got a confirmation number from the rep and it all sounded so easy. But the emails and reports keep coming. One day when I have some time and patience I'll take another run at them.

I also speculate that GM connects to the vehicles of non- subscribers anyway and collects data. Probably all I'll succeed in stopping is the information reporting back to me. Customers have no access to turn the communications on or off. Google and Apple give users access to turn data collection on and off. GM should put that same control in the hands of end users and give us an off button.
93Duc likes this.

Cajun Red ZR2 crew, 3.6, ADD winch bumper, Mile Marker winch, Diamondback bed cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:56 PM

Yeah, another one here who never even activated it. The emails and phone calls have finally stopped.

....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

2019 Colorado LT CC SB V-6 4x4 Redline Edition Tow Pkg and Auto Locking Differential

GM Performance Exhaust
TonnoPro Hard cover backflip
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I did a search and found practically no discussion of Onstar on this site. I guess this must be a truck forum!

I made the mistake of giving them a credit card number for two free months of service, and cancelled today before the first month was even up. Apparently not many people do that based on the reaction of the guy on the phone. He thought it odd I'd want to give up over two months of service where they'd call if I got into an accident. But the email marketing and letters were getting to me--I just want it to stop! I might be more sensitive because I've also been going through that with satellite radio for the Subaru and now the Colorado.

About the only thing I even tried was the hotspot, and it was very slow even in a good signal area.

Anyway, is Onstar as unpopular as the search results indicate? Or is it just such a flawless service that it never gets mentioned?
Is just a redundant service and is not cheap. Todays cellphones does a way better job by giving GPS Nav and many other cool features including Hot Spot service. Why bother with OnStar?

Rented a Chrysler Minivan, drove 3000 miles and used my Cell Hot Spot and Sat Nav on a spare Samsung Note 4 connected to my cell phone wifi, worked flawlessly. Beside, roads are marked pretty well, used the GPS to navigate on the city.

The only thing that is a nice to have is the phone application for remote start and open doors. Other than that, service/maintenance is provided by the DIC.
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thank, Eric, I'm sure it's possible, but it sure isn't easy. One reason I'm peevish about this is I already called OnStar as soon as I realized what happened and instructed them to immediately terminate my service. Got a confirmation number from the rep and it all sounded so easy. But the emails and reports keep coming. One day when I have some time and patience I'll take another run at them.

I also speculate that GM connects to the vehicles of non- subscribers anyway and collects data. Probably all I'll succeed in stopping is the information reporting back to me. Customers have no access to turn the communications on or off. Google and Apple give users access to turn data collection on and off. GM should put that same control in the hands of end users and give us an off button.
It should be as simple as pushing the OnStar button or calling 1-888-4OnStar and letting the advisor know that the salesperson consented for you but you do not consent to the data collection or services from OnStar. They're legally required to stop. Let me know if you need help.
93Duc and Booker DeWitt like this.

-Eric

I manage one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in the country. If you're having problems with a dealer or have a question about something, I'd be happy to help.
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Smit View Post
It should be as simple as pushing the OnStar button or calling 1-888-4OnStar and letting the advisor know that the salesperson consented for you but you do not consent to the data collection or services from OnStar. They're legally required to stop. Let me know if you need help.
Well, it's not quite so simple, at least in my situation. I have the truck on my AT&T account for unlimited data access for the wifi hotspot. Emphasis here on AT&T account. I purchase this service directly through AT&T. I get a bill from AT&T.

When I called the OnStar mothership today to tell them to disconnect me, they explained that they really don't have any method to do this, other than killing my AT&T account. In their view AT&T is their "partner" and I can't have a relationship with one and not include the other.

I'll have no further comment on this matter in this space. Caveat emptor.

Cajun Red ZR2 crew, 3.6, ADD winch bumper, Mile Marker winch, Diamondback bed cover
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:02 PM

I had it for the 6 mo trial and canceled. Way too expensive and get $0 value. Now I have the 5 year basic plan and hardly even use the app for that.

Also anyone else get in the truck and sometimes the recorded chick comes overs the speakers "this vehicle is connected to limited services" creeps me out.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Duramax 4x4
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This may be related to this topic, and if not I'm not sure what topic it would go in.

About 20-40 percent of the time I start the vehicle I get these annoying consent to three things (e.g. their privacy policy), one of which has my name misspelled but edit doesn't fix that, where I'm supposed to check the boxes. If you decline it gives you a vague warning, and if you accept it seems happy until the next time it pops up. Is there anyway to stop this?

Also, related to this post, I think I may opt for the AT&T data option on a monthly basis when I go trailering, just so I have a second source of Internet, which I need for business use. $25 doesn't seem too bad for piece of mind, but I'll have to remember to cancel it before the month is up each time.

Last edited by Goodspike; 04-09-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Changed the word camping to trailering.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 PM

One use of the myChevrolet App is the ability to turn off the hot spot. It's counterintuitive as you have to tap on "Wi-Fi Hotspot Upgrade Now" to get to a screen that allows you to disable the hotspot.
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:01 PM

No need for it and think it is waste of time and money. It is just another way to collect data to sell and make millions off of us after buying their product. Never provided credit card or setup trial period and still received weekly emails and paper mailings.

Called On-Star and had them completely remove my vehicle from their system and to remove any vehicle/engine tracking. Funny thing the agent on the phone kept stating they don't track and finally admitted they did.
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:32 AM

Garage
can the on star unit be unplugged from the vehicle?

2019 ZR2 Dusk Edition
2003 LS1 Corvette
1971 Monte Carlo SS454
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monteholic View Post
can the on star unit be unplugged from the vehicle?
It's been done by someone on here.
There is a write up, it involves opening the communication module in the cab of the truck and removing a module. The module had some other purposes that were desirable so removing the entire thing was not feasible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Colorado CCSB Z71 4X4 - Cajun Red Tintcoat, Bose, Integrated brake controller
Appearance: Air dam delete, Black Bowties, , Shift Knob Swap, Step Bars, Debadged
Function: GM floor liners, Truxedo Lo Pro, Dash Cam & Radar w/Invisicord, Tint, Katzkin, 2m/70cm Radio
Lighting: 4TL-R/D2S Swap, LED fog/interior/plate/reverse, Full Length LED Bed Lights, LED Puddle Lights, RC Curved Black 30" LED Lightbar
Suspension: 2" Front & Rear
Wheel/Tires: Fuel Recoil 17X8.5/Wildpeak ATW3 265/70R17
post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcanyon View Post
I had it for the 6 mo trial and canceled. Way too expensive and get $0 value. Now I have the 5 year basic plan and hardly even use the app for that.
I would use it more often except parking at work is 2 floors underground, so it doesn't work down there and at home is in my attached garage, so not really needed.

Quote:
Also anyone else get in the truck and sometimes the recorded chick comes overs the speakers "this vehicle is connected to limited services" creeps me out.
Never had that one happen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Colorado CCSB Z71 4X4 - Cajun Red Tintcoat, Bose, Integrated brake controller
Appearance: Air dam delete, Black Bowties, , Shift Knob Swap, Step Bars, Debadged
Function: GM floor liners, Truxedo Lo Pro, Dash Cam & Radar w/Invisicord, Tint, Katzkin, 2m/70cm Radio
Lighting: 4TL-R/D2S Swap, LED fog/interior/plate/reverse, Full Length LED Bed Lights, LED Puddle Lights, RC Curved Black 30" LED Lightbar
Suspension: 2" Front & Rear
Wheel/Tires: Fuel Recoil 17X8.5/Wildpeak ATW3 265/70R17
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Well, it's not quite so simple, at least in my situation. I have the truck on my AT&T account for unlimited data access for the wifi hotspot. Emphasis here on AT&T account. I purchase this service directly through AT&T. I get a bill from AT&T.

When I called the OnStar mothership today to tell them to disconnect me, they explained that they really don't have any method to do this, other than killing my AT&T account. In their view AT&T is their "partner" and I can't have a relationship with one and not include the other.

I'll have no further comment on this matter in this space. Caveat emptor.

Well you got me there. I have ATT cell service as well but Iíve never set it up with ATT direct. Iíll try to find an answer for you tomorrow.

-Eric

-Eric

post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:18 AM

Garage
I had it for the 6 month trial. It was ok. Never used it much. My signal in it was fantastic. The hot spot worked great. I've often wondered if i should have kept it for when I'm way out in the middle of nowhere camping? That's why i did opt for the Nav in my truck. A lot of times, where I'm at, there is no cell service at all. And the Nav gets me home from the woods every time.

Also, i can still unlock and start the truck without the service with the Chevy App.

And honestly, if its "tracking" me. Who cares? What do i have to hide? Yea yea, privacy... blah blah blah... When you're on the road, there is no privacy. Anyone can look up your licence plate number and have tons of info on you. Sure, they most likely are not selling it, but why be so paranoid about it?

I get like one email a month, maybe, asking me to return. That's it. Why is that so bad?
garymikey1982 likes this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight Edition CrewCab/ Long Bed/ 3.6L
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:51 AM

google onstar forum and thats probably all you need to know
post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousDave View Post
I had it for the 6 month trial. It was ok. Never used it much. My signal in it was fantastic. The hot spot worked great. I've often wondered if i should have kept it for when I'm way out in the middle of nowhere camping?
I'm pretty sure you can sign up for $25 a month and then cancel. So the trip would cost you $25.

I think they also have a bucket of data you can buy for $150, but I'm not sure when it expires.
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Garage
But what about if i do not have the subscription and am way out somewhere and get stuck? Can i simply press the OnStar button and say "I'd like to renew my subscription, please. Now get someone out here!" LOL :)

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight Edition CrewCab/ Long Bed/ 3.6L
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousDave View Post
But what about if i do not have the subscription and am way out somewhere and get stuck? Can i simply press the OnStar button and say "I'd like to renew my subscription, please. Now get someone out here!" LOL :)
I don't think so, and to be clear I was only talking about the AT&T data, not an Onstar subscription. Whether you could use the button to sign up for AT&T is unclear. I was planning on just signing up before I go on trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode