ZR2 vs. Gladiator Rubicon video - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

ZR2 vs. Gladiator Rubicon video

These are the two trucks on my short list and ran across this video.
Id be interested in hearing from any ZR2 owners as to the comments made by Edmunds.
It is really a very close comparison...

F8LZ71, L3TLZR2 and BTombaugh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:37 PM

I will stick with my ZR2, the things that they said negative on the ZR2 is what I like
example, I like my deep bed sides. I can put all my hunting gear under the tonneau cover. cannot due that with the Jeep.
It is quieter inside then the Jeep, rides more comfortable on the highway( I do a lot of that) Kansas Turkey season is in a couple weeks.
I am not pulling a big trailer so that is no big deal either.
I drive washboard roads(not whop-de-doos) so the ZR2 Front will ride better, the back probably the same, leaf springs vs 5 link...

a farily loaded ZR2 gaser will be about 48K, they said a loaded Gladiator Rubicon will be mid 60's..then ya have to spend moore to lift it and bigger tires and , and , and

the one guy kept comparing the gladiator with the wrangler, the Gladiator has 5 link rear suspension, Wrangler does not...
Sledgehammer likes this.

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level

Last edited by Hunter62; 03-30-2019 at 04:39 PM.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlobx View Post
These are the two trucks on my short list and ran across this video.
Id be interested in hearing from any ZR2 owners as to the comments made by Edmunds.

I find the comments the guy driving the ZR2 to be pretty accurate, the other annoying guy was obviously biased and had a hard on for the Jeep.

Hunter62 is spot on with his comments.

The Jeep looks good, not enough for me to give up the perfect on/off road balance of the ZR2 by a long shot but competition is good and I'm sure it will sell well. Plus my diesel with it's torque and range is far better suited for the kind of driving/exploring I do compared to the Jeep.

Adventure Without Risk Is Disneyland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:31 PM

Garage
I think if the Jeep had the looks and interior of the ZR2 then I would consider it. I've loved my wranglers but they really lacked in creature comforts. A solid front axle with sway bar disconnects would be great in the ZR2, oh and wheel wells that could fit something bigger than 33"s...

2018 Colorado ZR2 Diesel CCSB Satin Steel, 1" RC leveling kit, 285/70/16 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, Timbren SES to prevent sag.

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6 Performance Thunder Gray Chromaflair
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:39 PM
3TV

I just watched that video. Am I the only one that thought the ZR2 did better at the off road park where they crossed those cement tubes? And the ZR2 did better in the canyon, and didn't have to drag its rear bumper like the Gladiator did.

Add in the fact that a Gladiator that is similarly equipped to a ZR2 is going to cost $15K more, and it starts looking less desirable.

And the Wrangler JL (and JK for that matter) do have five link rear suspensions.
Hunter62 likes this.

2018 Colorado Crew Cab ZR2, Deepwood Green Metallic
BDS 4" suspension lift; 4.10 gears
35" Falken Wildpeak MTs on Method 312 Race wheels
ARB Twin Air Compressor / 589 Fab under hood mount
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:29 PM

Garage
That video is really good. I love the looks of the Gladiator but compared to the ride and comfort they mentioned, I'll keep my ZR2. I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler and I drove HMMWV's and M151A2 in the military as an occupation (my younger years); they're fun for off-road but it punishes you. My wrangler is fun when the top is down and just driving around town but as a daily... sux!. The ZR2 isn't perfect but it's got a lot of really good things going for it. Having a shorter bed height would be nice and a little more power wouldn't hurt. I would agree that the hood is just a bit too high to see the corners compared with the Gladiator but that's where technology (front camera) can help a lot. As one of the guy said, I'll take the ZR2 because it's more comfortable and more precise especially with a 3 hour drive back. I can't argue with that.

I think the new Gladiator is a great addition to the mid size segment. It will be very interesting in the next few years how this segment will be defined as Toyota and Nissan debut their re-design. With that said if I could afford a $60K fun truck, I'll spend a little more and buy a Ford Raptor or a H1 Hummer.

Great review.

Last edited by 1gokart; 03-30-2019 at 09:06 PM.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
I will stick with my ZR2, the things that they said negative on the ZR2 is what I like
example, I like my deep bed sides. I can put all my hunting gear under the tonneau cover. cannot due that with the Jeep.
It is quieter inside then the Jeep, rides more comfortable on the highway( I do a lot of that) Kansas Turkey season is in a couple weeks.
I am not pulling a big trailer so that is no big deal either.
I drive washboard roads(not whop-de-doos) so the ZR2 Front will ride better, the back probably the same, leaf springs vs 5 link...

a farily loaded ZR2 gaser will be about 48K, they said a loaded Gladiator Rubicon will be mid 60's..then ya have to spend moore to lift it and bigger tires and , and , and

the one guy kept comparing the gladiator with the wrangler, the Gladiator has 5 link rear suspension, Wrangler does not...
Right now a fairly loaded ZR2 can be had for 40 or less. A base ZR2 can be had for 36. You can get a Bison for $45 right now. The price difference between the ZR2 an similarly equipped Gladiaor (Rubicon) is huge and will stay that way for the next couple years until/if Jeep offers incentives on the Jeep truck.
The ZR2 just looks so much better to me. The Gladiator looks like it was designed in 1995.

2019 ZR2 3.6l Summit white
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:18 PM

I still think the Gladiator is fugly. I'll keep my ZR2.
BigMick23 likes this.

2018 ZR2 V6 Extended Cab
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:16 AM

Garage
Had the Gladiator been available when I was shopping, I would have given it serious consideration. I did in fact consider a Jeep but was turned off by the mileage and when the salesman said they still had trouble with roof leaks. Being a Jeep, the video was dead on when it said the aftermarket is huge, whereas while the aftermarket has expanded for the Colorado, I doubt it will ever truly catch up with that of the Jeep.

Overall, I would say the comparison was well and fairly done.
wachuko, L3TLZR2 and brtbendele like this.

2018 Zr2 V6 Crew Cab Delivered 1/10/18
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for giving me your honest opinions. They seem to be about the same as mine.
My local dealers still believe that you should pay close to 50k for a zr2 but I have found at least one dealer who is about 200 miles away that has a good zr2 inventory that seems to be willing to deal.

Lets face it, as much as we want our trucks to perform great off-road the fact of the matter is that 90% of the miles will be on road....

I test drove a slightly used zr2 with 900 miles on it that according to carfax had been in a minor accident at a local dealer and the truck rode well but the dealer was not coming off a 39K price and I told him he was dreaming...
The only issue with the truck for me was the height getting into and out of the truck (Im 5-9). A set of Rock Slide Engineering steps may be in my future...

XLr8n where are you finding a Bison for $45k?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvblue View Post
I still think the Gladiator is fugly. I'll keep my ZR2.
X2........what's with the square box cab look?
Doesn't take much design imagination to put a box on wheels.......no thanks.

Brian
White Bear Lake, Minnesota

2018 Colorado ZR2 Kinetic Blue CC V6
Delivery 7/10/18

Last edited by BigMick23; 03-31-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:13 AM

they didnt even mention the e-lockers, off road mode, hill descent control, wth.
BigMick23 and Sledgehammer like this.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlobx View Post
Thanks guys for giving me your honest opinions. They seem to be about the same as mine.
My local dealers still believe that you should pay close to 50k for a zr2 but I have found at least one dealer who is about 200 miles away that has a good zr2 inventory that seems to be willing to deal.

Lets face it, as much as we want our trucks to perform great off-road the fact of the matter is that 90% of the miles will be on road....

I test drove a slightly used zr2 with 900 miles on it that according to carfax had been in a minor accident at a local dealer and the truck rode well but the dealer was not coming off a 39K price and I told him he was dreaming...
The only issue with the truck for me was the height getting into and out of the truck (Im 5-9). A set of Rock Slide Engineering steps may be in my future...

XLr8n where are you finding a Bison for $45k?
Omaha/Southwest Iowa :
https://www.edwardschevroletcadillac...-IA/3371936623

They have a leftover 2018 ZR2 for $34k. And those are adverised prices so should be able to do even better. All of the ZR2's in the Omaha area have been discounted $7000-8000 the last few weeks. You local dealer apparenty isn't passing any rebates on to you. Shop around.

Last edited by Xlr8n; 03-31-2019 at 09:32 AM.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
Right now a fairly loaded ZR2 can be had for 40 or less. A base ZR2 can be had for 36. You can get a Bison for $45 right now. The price difference between the ZR2 an similarly equipped Gladiaor (Rubicon) is huge and will stay that way for the next couple years until/if Jeep offers incentives on the Jeep truck.
The ZR2 just looks so much better to me. The Gladiator looks like it was designed in 1995.
Unless there is something I dont know, The difference in a loaded ZR2 vs. a base are cosmetic along with diesel over V6. Dusk/midnight package, Bose, sports bar, off-road lights 17 black powder coated LT wheels, spare tire bed carrier... did I miss anything?

The base ZR2 is the extended cab V6, right? But still has all the important things.

2018 ZR2: Factory Sports Bar with OEM Off Road lights, Off Highway Equipment switch for lights, OEM rubber floor mats, Redline badges, Red tow hooks.
2016 LT 4x4: January 2016 - traded for ZR2 October 2018
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:54 AM

2020 Jeep Gladiator Pricing:
  • Gladiator Sport: $35,040
  • Gladiator Sport S: $38,240
  • Gladiator Overland: $41,890
  • Gladiator Rubicon: $45,040
these are base prices with out option shipping/delivery is another $1,450
robinsonmac likes this.

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level

Last edited by Hunter62; 03-31-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:27 AM

Jeeps are unique for better or worse.

If you want something that looks like nothing else, open top and tons of aftermarket parts it is a vehicle for you.

But you also have to deal with a worse ride, leaks, less security if it is a soft to and stone chip down the side not to mention the FCA quality recalls less so on Wranglers than other Jeeps.

The ZR has a better price for what you get, more quiet, more comfortable a growing aftermarket.

Here is the key here. The ZR is more a multi purpose vehicle that is suited to go off trail but still give you a first class ride to work.

The Jeep is more a lifestyle vehicle that is more about play than comfortable daily commuting.

I have a lot of miles behind a Jeep wheel. They have their place and audience but they are not for everyone.

As for price it is too high for mid size but since it is a Jeep it will get a pass.

The low sides of the bed are a real negative for me.

Jeep will make money as they will share enough parts with the Wrangler to control cost.

The only real question is how many people will cross over to buy one? I feel most buyers will come from the Wrangler. But that will work as they will get more money from them.

The long and short of this is the Jeep will be a success but I do not see it being successful at the expense of the GM trucks.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank46 View Post
Unless there is something I dont know, The difference in a loaded ZR2 vs. a base are cosmetic along with diesel over V6. Dusk/midnight package, Bose, sports bar, off-road lights 17 black powder coated LT wheels, spare tire bed carrier... did I miss anything?

The base ZR2 is the extended cab V6, right? But still has all the important things.
By 'base' I was referring to crewcabs. I bought a crewcab V6 with Bose for $36k.

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:54 AM

The answer depends on you.

Like almost everything else, which option is best depends on what you value. What you value will drive which vehicle you want.

For example, if you prioritize a removable top - the Jeep is the obvious answer. If you prioritize having a truck for work, the Colorado is the obvious answer. If one does not need a truck or care about the roof, then the question is more difficult because it is all about emotion and which image one is trying to project by buying something for which one has no use (Exhibit A - jacked and leveled diesel bro-dozers with low-profile tires)

I looked at the new Jeep Wrangler with a friend of mine last year when she was in the market. While it is a fun vehicle, the build quality is crap and it is not something that easily logs big highway miles. But it was fun if you have local off-road aspirations. Otherwise, it just becomes a mall-crawler with a removable roof and ground clearance.

But if you look under the hood of both and inspect things like how wiring harnesses and cooling plumbing are protected and secured, the Colorado looks like it is much better engineered- which is genuine progress from GM. The Jeep looks like economy assembly personified. The brake fluid reservoir, for one example, stood out as an obvious economy spec part.

Underneath, you are looking at either a solid front axle or the GM IFS. And that really sums up the difference between the two vehicles. Solid axles are great in their intended environment. IFS brings 30-years of evolution to better highway manners. FCA-Jeep had a recall on Wrangler frames. The current generation Colorado frame seems to be pretty well engineered. Time will tell.

You are on a Colorado forum, so expect bias. I'm assuming the Gladiator shares build quality with the current generation Wrangler, but I have not been around a Gladiator yet. That said, I think the Colorado is a better pickup and the Jeep is a better jeep. Which is better depends on what you want, a truck or a jeep.

-Michael

Last edited by mschultz; 03-31-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typos
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:46 PM

If he noticed the Oranges in the bed of the Jeep made the steering feel lighter whats 7000 pounds in tow going to do.
L3TLZR2 likes this.

2017 ZR2 CCSB V6 Graphite Metallic
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:02 PM

Everyone speaks of the aftermarket equipment out there for the Gladiator, building on the Wrangler aftermarket. But, in my mind, there has to be a lot of differences to take a Wrangler with very low tow/haul numbers and add a bed and double the tow capacity? I am thinking that a lot of the aftermarket options from the Wrangler will not fit the Gladiator.

All you have to do is look at the number of soccer moms driving 4 door Wranglers in my neck of the woods to know the Gladiator will sell. Will it "steal" from the Twins/Ford/Taco/Frontier market? I think very little. I do think the ZR2 probably has taken a bit of the Wrangler market and the offroad Taco market.

I think competition is great, I am just not sure the Gladiator puts any pressure on GM to improve those areas of the Twins that I consider important. (And I think Ford failed to put significant pressure on GM with the new Ranger, I think the new Taco as far as I have hear will be little pressure. )

We will see.
BTombaugh likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode