ZR2 vs. Gladiator Rubicon video - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:04 PM

I like it... I have been waiting a long time for their diesel version... Wife does not care for a Jeep but likes the ZR2 I got...

The ZR2 will keep me happy for a few years...but being completely honest, when the diesel comes out, if the overall user reviews are positive, I doubt that I will be able to hold off on jumping over to one...

Good thing that the next car is for the wife and she will not let me change mine after she gets her car and a few things are paid off...

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2019 Colorado ZR2 CC-SB Bison Diesel - Build Thread
2018 Subaru Crosstek Limited - Wife
2019 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD Premium - Daughter
2012 BMW X5 Diesel - Son
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I like it... I have been waiting a long time for their diesel version... Wife does not care for a Jeep but likes the ZR2 I got...

The ZR2 will keep me happy for a few years...but being completely honest, when the diesel comes out, if the overall user reviews are positive, I doubt that I will be able to hold off on jumping over to one...

Good thing that the next car is for the wife and she will not let me change mine after she gets her car and a few things are paid off...
You recognize their diesel version actually is supposed to have reduced towing capacity over the gasser?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Quote:

You recognize their diesel version actually is supposed to have reduced towing capacity over the gasser?
By a few hundred pounds yeah, not 2,000+ like they did to us with the ZR2.

Do not get me wrong...I am very happy with my ZR2... this might just be me talking out of my a-s-s

I already called a local shop to see if they can build me a bed rack similar to the AEV concept truck. I am not getting rid of it

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2019 Colorado ZR2 CC-SB Bison Diesel - Build Thread
2018 Subaru Crosstek Limited - Wife
2019 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD Premium - Daughter
2012 BMW X5 Diesel - Son

Last edited by wachuko; 03-31-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:

I think competition is great, I am just not sure the Gladiator puts any pressure on GM to improve those areas of the Twins that I consider important. (And I think Ford failed to put significant pressure on GM with the new Ranger, I think the new Taco as far as I have hear will be little pressure. )

We will see.
I how GM feels some pressure with the Gladiator released. The front camera with the track lines and the high clearance rear bumper are great features.

I hope with the diesel, ZR2, and the Bison, GM has realized that when you produce vehicles that people want they sell. GM could release a Colorado with the performance lift and it would sell. Could they charged an an extra $20,000, no. I sure they ould charged another $7,000 and it would sell.

I see you Ford releasing the ranger Raptor in the United States within two years. With the ZR2 I don't see how they can't.
CaryBosse likes this.

2019 white Bison.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked View Post
I how GM feels some pressure with the Gladiator released. The front camera with the track lines and the high clearance rear bumper are great features.

I hope with the diesel, ZR2, and the Bison, GM has realized that when you produce vehicles that people want they sell. GM could release a Colorado with the performance lift and it would sell. Could they charged an an extra $20,000, no. I sure they ould charged another $7,000 and it would sell.

I see you Ford releasing the ranger Raptor in the United States within two years. With the ZR2 I don't see how they can't.
I think that the success of the Twins shows GM that a right size truck will satisfy a lot of customers.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:51 PM

Garage
Don't know if this has already been posted, but here's an article about the new Gladiators tow rating:

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering...ing-1833657453

It also briefly talks about why the ZR2 has a lower tow rating then the Z71. I never thought about why that was until now. I just saw that it tows less than my Z71 and decided it wasn't for me.

Also prices can go north of $62K:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-jeep-g...res-1833680540
Tom S. likes this.

" I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work." -C. Titus
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
By a few hundred pounds yeah, not 2,000+ like they did to us with the ZR2.

Do not get me wrong...I am very happy with my ZR2... this might just be me talking out of my a-s-s 🙂

I already called a local shop to see if they can build me a bed rack similar to the AEV concept truck. I am not getting rid of it 😄
I think it will be more than a few hundred pounds, but here's a good article on the efforts jeep went through to get the numbers they did on the gas v6. It mentions they also used control arms from the Ram 1500 and other beefed up components.

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering...ing-1833657453
wachuko likes this.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:58 PM

Most Jeeps at least from my perspective feel like tin cans as far as interior quality goes. ZR2 is a class act in comparison. Plus they never really in any detail talked about the fact ZR2 has IMO a fairly significant HP/TQ advantage. On top of that the Jeep was blown away in the "Tube Test" on the video by the ZR2.

The guy driving the Jeep was the other guys boss it seemed so they did not make a big deal of the Jeep getting hung up on the tubes, the ZR2 faired much better even though they don't admit it in the video.
BTombaugh likes this.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Finally watched the movie. Jeep incorporated the tailgate mid-position that the 1st gen Twins had. I can't believe more trucks, at least mid-size, don't have that provision.

Didn't see anything that would make me want to run out and get a Gladiator. I do think with the differences, you are looking at some hair-splitting. If you want a truck that excels at A-B-C, you choose the Gladiator. You want a truck that excels at X-Y-Z, you choose a ZR2. You want a truck that does A-B-C and X-Y-Z decently, you probably choose a Z71.
BTombaugh likes this.

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:52 AM

I watched the video Saturday morning. I'm sure the Gladiator is a good vehicle, but I think the ZR2 did better. It barely touched tail pipe on the tubes while the Jeep hit skid plates and hitch on the same obstacle. On the other obstacle the ZR2 didn't drag anything and the Jeep hit the rear bumper. The Jeep also comes with larger tires from the factory than the ZR2, but still drug more.

They brought up that ramp test. The Jeep barely went higher than the ZR2 with the sway bar connected. With it disconnected it did go much higher. How would it be if the sway bar was taken off on the ZR2? (I know it's not a button to easily disconnect it on the ZR2, but a quick disconnect would be awesome for someone to fabricate)

They claim that 35's will fit on the Jeep from factory which I admit is nice. I also agree that the hood scoop, for lack of a better term, does interfere with visibility some on the ZR2.

I think the Jeep will sell, but I also think they are very ugly. I'm not really sure what it is, but I think it's the back of the cab that I hate. On a truck I don't care that the top or doors come off.

I also disagree with them about the bed sides on the ZR2 and the rear seats folded flat.

I think they had an agenda they wanted to push on the Gladiator.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
BTombaugh likes this.

2015 Laser Blue CCSB LT V6 4X4. Air dam removed. Rocky Road Super Sliders. Linex'd (Sold)
2018 Kinetic Blue Metallic CCSB ZR2 V6 255/75/17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's LED Hi/Lows Supermodulation Ported Throttle Body.
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR7985 View Post

I also disagree with them about the bed sides on the ZR2 and the rear seats folded flat.

I think they had an agenda they wanted to push on the Gladiator.

I believe that certain items I routinely carry in my bed, under the tonneau cover, would not fit under a cover on the Gladiator or Ridgeline. This includes my RTIC cooler and my action packer tote. I also couldn't fit my typical load on a camping trip with my popup camper where I have to haul supplies and a wire crate that breaks down flat for my 2 dogs under cover.

I'll take my tall bed sides.

I remember one of the first loads I hauled in my truck was bags of mulch for a charity project. A buddy of mine and I showed up, he in his Ridgeline, I in my Canyon. We figured that we would each purchase and load 20 bags of mulch. I could have easily loaded 30 bags without a risk of falling out of the bed, with some careful loading could probably handle all 40 bags. He had a full load by volume with 20 bags in the Ridgeline. Sometimes, a full load is not measured by weight.
DanR7985 and BTombaugh like this.

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 AM

Garage
I always expect to take reviews like this with a grain of salt, as magazine/website reviewers typically rely on paid advertisements from manufacturers for revenue, so they can't afford to insult anyone. They will highlight differences, and point out some pros and cons, but soft-pedal on winners/losers...

I agree that the Jeep seemed to have more clearance problems despite taller tires and more ground clearance on paper. Another great illustration that specifications don't always tell the whole story.
CaryBosse likes this.

2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain CCSB 2.8L Duramax Dark Sky Metallic, Boost Auto Parts Towing Mirrors, Rough Country Render Flares, Lund Genesis Elite Tri-fold Soft Tonneau Cover
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I believe that certain items I routinely carry in my bed, under the tonneau cover, would not fit under a cover on the Gladiator or Ridgeline. This includes my RTIC cooler and my action packer tote. I also couldn't fit my typical load on a camping trip with my popup camper where I have to haul supplies and a wire crate that breaks down flat for my 2 dogs under cover.

I'll take my tall bed sides.

I remember one of the first loads I hauled in my truck was bags of mulch for a charity project. A buddy of mine and I showed up, he in his Ridgeline, I in my Canyon. We figured that we would each purchase and load 20 bags of mulch. I could have easily loaded 30 bags without a risk of falling out of the bed, with some careful loading could probably handle all 40 bags. He had a full load by volume with 20 bags in the Ridgeline. Sometimes, a full load is not measured by weight.
I'm with you. I'll take my tall bed sides for the same reason you will.

2015 Laser Blue CCSB LT V6 4X4. Air dam removed. Rocky Road Super Sliders. Linex'd (Sold)
2018 Kinetic Blue Metallic CCSB ZR2 V6 255/75/17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's LED Hi/Lows Supermodulation Ported Throttle Body.
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Had the Gladiator been available when I was shopping, I would have given it serious consideration. I did in fact consider a Jeep but was turned off by the mileage and when the salesman said they still had trouble with roof leaks. Being a Jeep, the video was dead on when it said the aftermarket is huge, whereas while the aftermarket has expanded for the Colorado, I doubt it will ever truly catch up with that of the Jeep.

Overall, I would say the comparison was well and fairly done.
This applies to me as well. When I heard Jeep was coming out with a pickup, I wanted one. I've got a 1975 CJ-5 and it's a hoot to wheel, but it sure isn't long on creature comforts. When I found out that the Gladiator would be offered in crew cab only, it was a deal breaker for me. I wanted an extended cab (or regular cab), so the ZR2 was it for me. I don't regret the decision, either. It's been a super-fun truck!

The major issues they raised with the ZR2 are fair (towing capacity, low shock mounts, hood causes visibility issues) but in my opinion are somewhat easily rectified. I've already installed the shock skids (which are a huge plus) and I'm going to be installing a front camera next, so that will hep alleviate the forward visibility problems to a large degree. Towing capacity didn't register in my book, as I don't anticipate doing any towing. One or both of the reviewers complained about the high bedsides on the Chevy, but the only time I've had my bed full of actual loose cargo (not counting moving furniture to/from apartments, etc.) was when I was hauling firewood and I'm quite glad that the sidewalls are the height they are, thank you very much. I also feel like they downplayed how maneuverable these trucks are, because I've been through some tight stuff in Moab and had no issues whatsoever.

Some positives: I do like that you can (supposedly) fit 35s with no issues, and you can get the 110v outlet in the bed. I also like that they kept the 4:1 Wrangler Rubicon transfer case ratio for the Gladiator Rubicon. I like that you can still do the Jeep thing and take off all the doors, pop the top and drop the windshield.

All in all I felt that it was a mostly fair review; there was perhaps some Jeep bias, but it is the new toy in the sandbox, so it will get some well-deserved recognition. They definitely didn't hit all of the Chevy's bells and whistles, either, but many of those are known inclusions anyway. Personally, I don't particularly love the final overall look of the Gladiator, but throw some accessories on it and slap 35s on it and my opinion would probably change. :)

I do hope to see some out on the trail, though. That will be cool.

2018 Colorado ZR2 | 2.8L Duramax | ECLB Deepwood Green Metallic | Bose | Nav

Mods: GM bed lights | 589 shock skidplates & 1" level | Motobilt fuel can holders | Badass Moto Gear fire extinguisher mounts | BORA 1.5" wheel spacers | CBI ditch light brackets & hidden-winch half-bumper | Black Oak 40w ditch lights | Realtree neoprene seat covers | Datin 16" base station | Warn Zeon Platinum 12

To Do: Black Oak 400w bar | Tepui RTT | Echomaster front camera
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 PM

Garage
Pretty fair eval. I've owned two Wrangler's, one a '99 Sport and one an '04 Rubicon. Loved my Rubi and it was very capable. Of course I was the typical Jeeper, big tires and big lifts, but those days are over for this old guy. I really love the ride of my ZR2, also the looks. This truck will go anywhere I'll ever need it to. I know the newer JK's rode better than my older Jeeps did, but with straight axles on the Jeeps, they still "bounce" while on paved surfaces. Those axles perform way better on trail than IFS does, but the majority of people's driving is still on-road. The ZR2 is my choice at this point in my life, even the little woman thinks it's a pleasure to ride in and drive. OLDDUDE

Mad Mac
2017 Colorado ZR2 Diesel/ Black
USAF active/res. TSGT retired

Last edited by 4x4'nOLDDUDE; 04-04-2019 at 09:42 PM.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:10 PM

Smiley and BTombaugh like this.

2019 white Bison.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 PM

That video reinforces my belief that a ZR2 with full set of Super Skidz is a better choice than the Bison, and 125lbs lighter.

I need to change my tail pipe then the only thing I have to worry about is the receiver hitch and I have a skid for that.

2017 Colorado ZR2 Deepwood Green Metallic, Ext Cab 3.6 DI DOHC V6 (LGZ) 8-speed auto (8L45).
Midwest Overland Ind, 589 Fab, Warn, GMPP, Trifecta, Nitro Gear, Rhino Rack, Wilco Offset, Smittybilt, Ultra Ranger. Supermod Skidz.

Illegitimi non carborundum
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 PM

I know it's not the same, but I won't be going back to Jeep after issues with my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The 9 speed transmission in that thing was absolutely terrible and I had more software updates done on it than Windows 10! It was completely dying on some people and leaving them stranded. Not something that you could trust in the middle of nowhere. I wonder how the 8 speed in the Gladiator is. There were a lot of things I liked about that Jeep, but the transmission killed it for me. I'm actually surprised that the Gladiator is a longer truck, since being short and maneuverable is one of the advantages of having a Wrangler in the first place. I also think that tiny bed looks almost worthless.

Last edited by BizzyB; 04-15-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post
That video reinforces my belief that a ZR2 with full set of Super Skidz is a better choice than the Bison, and 125lbs lighter.

I need to change my tail pipe then the only thing I have to worry about is the receiver hitch and I have a skid for that.
The video is misleading. The front bumper, rear bumper and the five skid plates at 200 lb to the ZR2. The AEV skid cover more areas then the others skids plates.
The only way you do be at the same weight or less than 200 lb we need to be all aluminum bumpers skip plates. I believe CBI makes aluminum bumpers and skid plates.

2019 white Bison.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked View Post
The video is misleading. The front bumper, rear bumper and the five skid plates at 200 lb to the ZR2. The AEV skid cover more areas then the others skids plates.
The only way you do be at the same weight or less than 200 lb we need to be all aluminum bumpers skip plates. I believe CBI makes aluminum bumpers and skid plates.

The Bison does not have a trans skid, you have to order than from AEV, and it's a open style. Super Skidz are full coverage, nose to front u-joint. The Super skidz are steel or aluminum. I have the 6061 plasma thermo coated version.

The Bison does have the fuel tank skid and the rear diff skid. Not sure if the diff skid is a help or not. Looks like you loose a few degrees at both bumpers, I do like the looks of the rear bumper, not the front. I have a 589FAB steel drive shaft so I don't think I really need the diff skid.

2017 Colorado ZR2 Deepwood Green Metallic, Ext Cab 3.6 DI DOHC V6 (LGZ) 8-speed auto (8L45).
Midwest Overland Ind, 589 Fab, Warn, GMPP, Trifecta, Nitro Gear, Rhino Rack, Wilco Offset, Smittybilt, Ultra Ranger. Supermod Skidz.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode