I have installed Prodigy P3 controller

I plan to tow a Keystone Passport 239ML

Length 25 ft 5 in
Ext Height 10 ft 4 in
Hitch Weight 425 lbs
Gross Weight 5400 lbs
Dry Weight 4140 lbs
Cargo Weight 1260 lbs

I will be using a weight distribution hitch and have a driver and passenger (total under 300 pounds) and 2 dogs in the back seat (90 pounds total).

I know this is within the capacity of the truck, Im just looking for some reassurance/personal experience with towing a trailer this size. I do intend to eventually so some loner distance trips.

Last edited by adiastra; 03-28-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:43 AM

My dad used to tow one of those with a Ford Sport Trac. He didn't die.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghelmut View Post
My dad used to tow one of those with a Ford Sport Trac. He didn't die.

Sport Trac has a max tow capacity of 3500 and is a Ford. This does not really ease my mind at all.
CaryBosse and 16WhiteColly like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
Great brake controller, and using a WD Hitch you should not have any problem, just make sure they are both set up correctly. Will your WD Hitch have Sway Control built into it? If not you may consider buying one with it built in, or you will have to add it separately. If the trailer dealer sets up the hitch, most of the time they are in a hurry to get you out and do not tweek it for best performance. Watch some you tube videos, so you know what to expect. Hope this helps.

2016 White Colorado LT Ext. Cab. 3.6L V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 V8 3 Spd. Manual

2002 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 6 Spd. Manual

See my album for pics
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Great brake controller, and using a WD Hitch you should not have any problem, just make sure they are both set up correctly. Will your WD Hitch have Sway Control built into it? If not you may consider buying one with it built in, or you will have to add it separately. If the trailer dealer sets up the hitch, most of the time they are in a hurry to get you out and do not tweek it for best performance. Watch some you tube videos, so you know what to expect. Hope this helps.
I understand the concepts of setting up a w/d so i should be OK. I do not know if the hitch has sway control or not, but im not sure if i will have sway issues to begin with, im a conservative driver when towing. The hitch is dealer provided.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:54 AM

Mine is an 18 so slightly different drivetrain, but i just towed a 23 foot crown line boat almost 200 miles with no issues and temps stayed normal. It has dry weight of 4200 lbs and i just used standard receiver hitch. It had all of our gear in it and mostly full tank of gas so Iím sure it was over 5000 lbs. Just know you canít take off or stop in a hurry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiastra View Post
Sport Trac has a max tow capacity of 3500 and is a Ford. This does not really ease my mind at all.
I said he didn't die.

I think it was an Aerolite Cub. Not sure of the exact length, somewhere between 20-25. He later upgraded to a Tahoe and said he barely noticed it was back there.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:03 AM

Garage
Red face

Quote:
I understand the concepts of setting up a w/d so i should be OK. I do not know if the hitch has sway control or not, but im not sure if i will have sway issues to begin with, im a conservative driver when towing. The hitch is dealer provided.
You say that you are not sure that you will have problems with Sway, you WILL at some point, and I was just mentioning it for safety reasons. You want to Prevent Sway, before you encounter it. You can upgrade the dealer provided hitch. They have several different versions. As far as the best towing experience, in my case, has been to use Tow/Haul ON, and set the gearshift selector to Manual M5. It will keep the transmission from shifting in/out of 6th gear (overdrive). That way if you get into steep grades, you can shift down a gear or two and this will help with pulling power and grade braking.

See my album for pics
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghelmut View Post
I said he didn't die.

I think it was an Aerolite Cub. Not sure of the exact length, somewhere between 20-25. He later upgraded to a Tahoe and said he barely noticed it was back there.

None of this has anything to do with my truck, and that trailer is lighter than the one I will be towing, nor is it personal experience.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:06 AM

With a weight distribution hitch you should be fine. A brake controller is an absolute must towing something close to your vehicle weight. Change your rear tire pressure appropriately for the load. An anti-sway system would help more but not totally necessary. I towed a 8x22' enclosed car hauler that weighed in total ~4500 pounds. I did not have a weight distribution hitch or anti-sway or towing mirrors/extensions and I was fine towing it for over 200 miles. The truck would sway a bit if a huge SUV like a full size suburban or similar blew past me going 90. But, even with just a weight distribution hitch and appropriately set rear tire pressure you should be fine, especially with a relatively aerodynamic load of your camper.

I will say mirror extensions or tow mirrors are a must if you are towing a long trailer that is nearly as wide as the truck or wider. I had a spotter behind me and a passenger the whole trip to help the mirror situation when I was towing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0114171210.jpg (298.1 KB, 45 views)

2016 Duramax CCSB Trail Boss

5.5" Zone Lift
285/70R17 Duratracs
1.25" BORA Spacers
Anzo Headlights
Eagle Eyes taillights
GDE Tune

Last edited by klock1435; 03-28-2019 at 11:11 AM.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
None of this has anything to do with my truck, and that trailer is lighter than the one I will be towing, nor is it personal experience.
People with worse vehicles tow large things, you'll be fine.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
You say that you are not sure that you will have problems with Sway, you WILL at some point, and I was just mentioning it for safety reasons. You want to Prevent Sway, before you encounter it. You can upgrade the dealer provided hitch. They have several different versions. As far as the best towing experience, in my case, has been to use Tow/Haul ON, and set the gearshift selector to Manual M5. It will keep the transmission from shifting in/out of 6th gear (overdrive). That way if you get into steep grades, you can shift down a gear or two and this will help with pulling power and grade braking.
Ok thats helpful, i just called the dealer and it is this hitch https://www.campingworld.com/10k-equ...tch-47627.html
Thanks for the tip regarding M5, I will keep that in mind.

In manual the truck will still up and down shift?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:15 AM

The fact that you are taking time to research this, and with all you have described, you should be fine.

Take it easy, don't try to rush anything. You are going from a spry, quick-footed truck to driving a small whale. Thing of it as a bass boat versus the Titanic, and just watch for ice bergs.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klock1435 View Post
With a weight distribution hitch you should be fine. A brake controller is an absolute must towing something close to your vehicle weight. Change your rear tire pressure appropriately for the load. An anti-sway system would help more but not totally necessary. I towed a 8x22' enclosed car hauler that weighed in total ~4500 pounds. I did not have a weight distribution hitch or anti-sway or towing mirrors/extensions and I was fine towing it for over 200 miles. The truck would sway a bit if a huge SUV like a full size suburban or similar blew past me going 90. But, even with just a weight distribution hitch and appropriately set rear tire pressure you should be fine, especially with a relatively aerodynamic load of your camper.

I will say mirror extensions or tow mirrors are a must if you are towing a long trailer that is nearly as wide as the truck or wider. I had a spotter behind me and a passenger the whole trip to help the mirror situation when I was towing.
Thanks, my trailer is 8 feet wide and I do have some cheap clip on mirrors (to start with)
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Ok thats helpful, i just called the dealer and it is this hitch https://www.campingworld.com/10k-equ...tch-47627.html

The Equal-I-Zer is a great hitch, you'll be super happy with it as long as it's properly set up. Learn how to adjust it yourself, RV dealers are notorious for getting it wrong because they don't take the time to do proper set up. They just eyeball it, plus once you load the truck and trailer with gear things change. The hitch should be adjusted with both vehicles ready to go.

If you use Tow/Haul it won't run in 6th gear anyway. Manual mode isn't really manual, it's just range selection. If you set it to M5 then it will shift normally through all the gears from 1-5, not using 6th. With Tow/Haul you'll also have grade braking when going down hills, but sometimes it doesn't get it right and it's better to manually downshift to a lower gear to help maintain speed down hills. Running in "M" mode disables grade braking and it's all on you to downshift, Tow/Haul in 'D" will enable grade braking. On steep, 2-lane roads I will manually keep it in lower gears. On the interstate I run Tow/Haul and "D."

Anyway, just takes some experimenting and time behind the wheel to figure out what works best for you. Nothing prevents you from shifting to/from D and M at-will, the learning curve is mostly to do with what is enabled or disabled in each mode.
93Duc likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
The fact that you are taking time to research this, and with all you have described, you should be fine.

Take it easy, don't try to rush anything. You are going from a spry, quick-footed truck to driving a small whale. Thing of it as a bass boat versus the Titanic, and just watch for ice bergs.
Safety is my biggest concern, that and protecting my possessions. Im a big fan of over thinking before acting.
16WhiteColly and beatnix like this.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The Equal-I-Zer is a great hitch, you'll be super happy with it as long as it's properly set up. Learn how to adjust it yourself, RV dealers are notorious for getting it wrong because they don't take the time to do proper set up. They just eyeball it, plus once you load the truck and trailer with gear things change. The hitch should be adjusted with both vehicles ready to go.

If you use Tow/Haul it won't run in 6th gear anyway. Manual mode isn't really manual, it's just range selection. If you set it to M5 then it will shift normally through all the gears from 1-5, not using 6th. With Tow/Haul you'll also have grade braking when going down hills, but sometimes it doesn't get it right and it's better to manually downshift to a lower gear to help maintain speed down hills. Running in "M" mode disables grade braking and it's all on you to downshift, Tow/Haul in 'D" will enable grade braking. On steep, 2-lane roads I will manually keep it in lower gears. On the interstate I run Tow/Haul and "D."

Anyway, just takes some experimenting and time behind the wheel to figure out what works best for you. Nothing prevents you from shifting to/from D and M at-will, the learning curve is mostly to do with what is enabled or disabled in each mode.

Wow great info, thanks a bunch! Im watching setup videos for that hitch now.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:

Yes it will up/down shift as usual, it just locks out 6th gear. By towing with this set up, I get about 14 mpg, minimum. If I Tow in Automatic mode and let it have all the gears, about 12 mpg., and the transmission is in/out of 6th gear. This will also keep your transmission temperatures down. The highest that I have ever seen in 95 degree weather, and very hilly highways was 185 degrees, and only 1 time have I seen that. Keeping the transmission temperatures down will help your transmission last longer. You have a 2015 V6, so you have a transmission cooler, if you have the Towing Package. That hitch will serve you well, if you can get used to the Creaking, it is loud when turning.

See my album for pics

Last edited by 16WhiteColly; 03-28-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:34 AM

Location: Currently full-time RV traveler, looking for a new career in Washington or Oregon.
Garage
I've now pulled a heavier, taller, wider RV trailer almost 3000 miles in the last couple of months with a Colorado. I've not experienced a single issue of sway, through high winds (where I passed semi's on their side), blizzards, mountains, etc. Part of it is proper weight distribution in the trailer, part of it is the weight-distribution/anti-sway hitch and it helps to have tandem axles. I get pushed a little and have to compensate when a truck/large vehicles passes due to the pressure differential between both vehicles, but no sway.

Your truck should handle that trailer, the only factor is you.
93Duc likes this.

"Ragnar": 2017 Duramax 4x4 Z71
-----------------------------------
04/20: Ordered at dealer
04/25: Accepted by GM (2000)
04/26: TPW 05/08 given (3000)
04/29: Vehicle ready to build (3300)
05/05: Order sent to production (3400)
05/13: 0946 AM, Ragnar is born
05/17: Delivered to dealership (5000)
05/24: Delivered to me (6000)
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Your truck should handle that trailer, the only factor is you.
Great, I guess i'm screwed :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode