Anyone else patiently waiting to see the 2020 models? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 138 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:58 AM

The already updated the head unit and the rear view camera quality is better... And now they also included heated steering wheel.

Would be nice if they:

Change the awful looking shift knob
Upgrade headlights to LEDs
New grill to go with the LED headlight changes??

Some ergonomic changes (4WD switch placement for example)

They really do not have to do much to them to hold them until 2022...
GraniteBlue05 and CaryBosse like this.

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2019 Colorado ZR2 CC-SB Bison Diesel - Build Thread
2018 Subaru Crosstek Limited - Wife
2019 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD Premium - Daughter
2012 BMW X5 Diesel - Son
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 138 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankP View Post
sounds like no one would be interested if they brought out the 10 speed transmission for the V6, sunroof, upgraded stereo/navigation. Well, I would be, and with no announcements at this time, who knows.
I'm not convinced they will do the 10-speed in these trucks...at least before the 3rd generation comes out. I outlined my reasons why in a separate thread, but would be happy if they did. Even if that was the only change for 2020, that would certainly make things more tempting for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
While I am not sure I am ready for a turbo, I think the logical thing would be to drop that turbo 4 from the Silverado into a mid-size truck. That might be the right fit for that turbo.

I have no need for a sunroof, and the upgrades done to the stereo since my 2015 are probably adequate. Seats would probably be the biggest focus of improvement for my truck.
That 2.7 would be great for the midsize twins....great HP and TQ. Reliability....well too early to see yet how well it would compare to the 3.6, which I feel now is a reliable engine. I don't care for my leather seats in my 2015...I'm skinny and they still don't feel right to me. If the seats where changed, it would be a great thing in my opinion, but I know many folks are OK with how they are currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankP View Post
True, but no one knows for sure of what is included in the "refresh". Same body of course, but what additions/enhancements will be made?
Well, of course the big question is if there will even be a refresh before the 3rd gen comes in 2 - 3 years. As I said above, its pretty much un-heard of in this day in age for their not to be an MCE done around the 3rd or 4th year of a new model. But if GM feels their truck is good enough for now, then so be it. I honestly don't think that any powertrain changes are needed (as long as they can ONCE and FOR ALL fix that dang 8 speed TC issue!), but the interior, and exterior could use a freshening.

GM knows their next generation will come at basically the same time as the new generation of mid-size trucks (mini RAM, new gen Ranger, updated/new gen Frontier, new gen Tacoma all due over the next 2 - 3 years) so they may just sit this one out.

That said...

I'm not about to pull the trigger on a 2019 model when the 2020 models could be announced at any point over the coming weeks.
post #23 of 138 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I donít think they will wait till 2022, well, think a lot will depend on how well the Ford Ranger does. If the Ranger moves well GM will have to step up there game.
Interesting thing about the 2019 Ford Ranger it is new to U.S. but has been out in other countries for 12 years. Talk is revised version will come along in 2 or 3 years to better compete in U.S. midsize truck market.

2018 GMC Canyon SLT 4wd Crew Cab, DT Dsp4 tune, Clearview tow mirrors, Fold-A-Cover, Anderson 5th Wheel Hitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 138 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC18CANYONMT View Post
Interesting thing about the 2019 Ford Ranger it is new to U.S. but has been out in other countries for 12 years. Talk is revised version will come along in 2 or 3 years to better compete in U.S. midsize truck market.

It's not exactly the same truck. I'm a ex-Kiwi and go down to New Zealand/Fiji every couple of years and I drive Toyota Hilux and Ranger most of the time as a rental. Their's is diesel and interior/exterior styling is significantly different and infact, the build seems TONS better than the new Ranger here in US. I test drove the Lariat and the FX4 trims before I bought my Canyon.

Crazy thing is the 'Rado in the Pacific market looks more like a Raptor and over there, it comes in multiple terrain packages incl 2 tone leather seats, etc. We get the crappy ones here in US so go figure...lol.

[[ '19 GMC Canyon All-Terrain X :: DD SL1 lows, Bed Cover, BullBar, Wrangler AT Duratec 265/65/17, Door Visors, Gibson SFT Muffler, 1.25" Zone Level ]]
post #25 of 138 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I'd love to have some nice looking two toned leather seats...

...and a dead pedal.
post #26 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Well...we have a bit more info concerning the 2020 models here...see the chart below...

Looks like the 2020s will be available to order by May 9th, and I assume production in July (at least that is what I assume the "start up" date means) I have very little faith at this point that we are getting a refresh, but hopefully a few more minor but meaningful updates.

post #27 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 AM

The Acadia is getting a mid-cycle refresh and it looks like it can be ordered starting in June. GM has already announced the update though. Makes me think the Colorado and Canyon wonít be getting any updates.

2018 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 2WD in Graphite Metallic.
post #28 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:09 AM

I really like my Ď15 Z71. Itís my DD....but wonít get another vehicle without dual-zone. Iím 2-3 years away from a new truck so will see how they are configured then.

Having said that, if Chevy added dual zone and those shocks from the ZR2 at the Z71 trim level, I would buy one NOW.

2015 Colorado Yellow V-6 Z71 4X4 SB Crew/Nav/Towing/Sliding R Window/bedliner/3" off-road steps/flares/Xpel/Xstang Trifecta

Truck history:
2002 GMC Sonoma Crewcab 4x4 Yellow ZR5 (new)
1985 GMC High Sierra SB 4x4 Brown/Wht (used)
1983 S-10 Regular Cab, 4X4, V-6, 5spd-man, Black (new)

Current fleet:
2014 Buick Verano Premium (Turbo)
post #29 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Goat View Post
I really like my Ď15 Z71. Itís my DD....but wonít get another vehicle without dual-zone. Iím 2-3 years away from a new truck so will see how they are configured then.

Having said that, if Chevy added dual zone and those shocks from the ZR2 at the Z71 trim level, I would buy one NOW.
I don't know enough about how manufacturers configure dual zone HVAC systems, but that seems like such a fundamental change in the design of the HVAC that I don't see GM making that sort of upgrade on a mid-year change.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #30 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 AM

Talking

I am on the fence if I jump on a ZR2 now or wait for 2020 models to be out... over the weekend I was looking at the the Blazer interior, the changes to the 2020 Silverados and GMC Sierras... LED every where, different placement for the 4x4 instruments, nicer interiors, decent looking shift knobs... all those would be nice to have in the Colorado/Canyon...

Wanting instant gratification sucks, !! Wished I had a frigging crystal ball to see the future changes on the 2020 twins...

How long before those are out? Edit... I see the chart... just a few months away, May-June time frame

I don't need the truck now, I don't need the truck now, I don't need the truck now... argghhh... it is not working, lol.
CaryBosse and Hunter62 like this.

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2019 Colorado ZR2 CC-SB Bison Diesel - Build Thread
2018 Subaru Crosstek Limited - Wife
2019 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD Premium - Daughter
2012 BMW X5 Diesel - Son
post #31 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
...and a dead pedal.
I am not the only one.

2019 Chevrolet Colorado LT 2WD

Last edited by whitey019; 03-04-2019 at 09:52 PM.
post #32 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:41 PM

Excellent thread. Im in the same boat. I test drove the new Ranger and i have to say, it was a nice ride. The Ranger looks good on paper but im curious how the MPGs and consumer reporting will be. Im torn between that and the ZR2. But, like most here, i have a feeling GM will be introducing something to match the transmission/fuel economy goals of Ford in the midsize segment. Either way, i think the Colorado is the superior vehicle all-around and really hope they reveal something about 2020 soon so i can stop losing sleep over which model-year im going to buy! Keep the conversation going!
post #33 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoz21 View Post
Excellent thread. Im in the same boat. I test drove the new Ranger and i have to say, it was a nice ride. The Ranger looks good on paper but im curious how the MPGs and consumer reporting will be. Im torn between that and the ZR2. But, like most here, i have a feeling GM will be introducing something to match the transmission/fuel economy goals of Ford in the midsize segment. Either way, i think the Colorado is the superior vehicle all-around and really hope they reveal something about 2020 soon so i can stop losing sleep over which model-year im going to buy! Keep the conversation going!
First post. I'm in the same situation. I drove a Ranger the other day and enjoyed it, but dealers are asking crazy over MSRP right now, and Chevy has 0% financing and other incentives going on this month. Who knows what Ford's EPA/MPG "investigation" will uncover. I might go the Z71 route and do some basic upgrades so it's ready as an overlander. However, those ZR2s are tempting, especially with incentives or 0%. I've even seen some dealers offering an incentive for trading in a Ford (I drive a '12 Fusion V6). Oh, and one of the local dealers is trying to force LoJacks on its Rangers.
post #34 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:24 PM

At this point I expect few changes and only some minor updates for the next model.

I expect some more special editions which are mostly paint and minor trim additions.

GM is putting most of the development money in the new CUV models where the volumes are much higher.

As for additional things we may see the lights could be a possibility. But the challenge is to add content but not add to the price till it gets to where fewer buy. We have a number of people here that buying a ZR is not a big deal but others who have to economize and shop carefully for a LT. Run the price up and you risk losing sales.

It is a fine balance with this truck unlike the full size where the scale of volume gives them room on rebates as well as the fact they can add content and people will pay crazy high prices for some of these trucks.

I looked at the Ranger the other day and I believe Ford tried to retain cost and it has hurt them in some areas. The little things like a back seat that will not fold flat? The interior is not really much if any better than ours. The one I was in was nearly $45,000 and it really had nothing that would tear me away from my Denali. It had much less content than what I had for more than I paid. No Spray in liner. No heated wheel or vented seats. No running boards, No larger wheels or special trim.

It was not a bad looking truck but it looked like the other Rangers around it that cost Less. At least for the higher price GM gives you the extra trim to set the truck a little apart.

The 4x4 knob was in a better place but the light was hard to see in daylight.

To be honest I am not hurt that the trucks are not updated yet as I have enjoyed 3 years where my truck still looks new. It will not age as fast and may help resale once they do update as it will only be one gen back in styling.

I do hope GM does keep working on this truck though as I do not want to see them do a Toyota move and never update much. Come on Toyota no rear disc brakes yet?
post #35 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoz21 View Post
Excellent thread. Im in the same boat. I test drove the new Ranger and i have to say, it was a nice ride. The Ranger looks good on paper . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplemons View Post
First post. I'm in the same situation. I drove a Ranger the other day and enjoyed it, but dealers are asking crazy over MSRP right now, and Chevy has 0% financing and other incentives going on this month. . ..

Guys. . if you have not seen the Youtube below and the MotorTrend reviews. . .. might help you decide.
Good info of the pros/cons. My take. . . the Colorado/Canyon are solid midsized trucks, capable, great handling, good features. And best in the segment the way it is right now.
2020 alleged refresh may bring some new appearance details, maybe some exterior LED DRL or headlights, and interior goodie or two.
But, bottom line. . . watch the video and/or read the Motor trend article.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...ma-comparison/

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
14,200 Miles 5-1-2019
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 03-05-2019 at 04:43 PM.
post #36 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:49 PM

One thing to note is the Ranger reviews that have been better were non FX4 models. The negative have been the FX4 models.

The complaints in the FX4 is noted to be less controlled and even having a swaying feel to it. Motor Trend, Autoweek and Edmund all noted it and were critical of it.

It is almost like the truck has some kind of shock issue that helps it off road but is not a help on road.
post #37 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I am on the fence if I jump on a ZR2 now or wait for 2020 models to be out...

What about the Bison? xD . . .
wachuko likes this.

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap. Build date: 2-14-2017
14,200 Miles 5-1-2019
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/attachments/2nd-gen-appearance-body/328415d1540903157-caps-park-pic-1a-sm-edit-50-.jpg
post #38 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:18 PM

With the Ranger all the testinng I have seen is with an empty bed, with that single leaf on the rear and depending on the shock it may handle better with a load then with out a load, unlike the Taco and twins.

I saw a picture on the internet the other day but cannot find it today of a red Colorado with a different front facia. I have found a couple spy photos with the front all covered up..

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
post #39 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
With the Ranger all the testinng I have seen is with an empty bed, with that single leaf on the rear and depending on the shock it may handle better with a load then with out a load, unlike the Taco and twins.

I saw a picture on the internet the other day but cannot find it today of a red Colorado with a different front facia. I have found a couple spy photos with the front all covered up..
I have yet to see that so please post if you find it again.

I wonít say that this is the plan but nearly all the new Chevy models are adopting a Camaro like nose. The new Taverse, Blazer, Trax and next the Nox are going to the similar styling. Even the full size truck has similar styling in various ways.

With all these models sharing a family look may hint to what we may see adopted at some point.

I expect the Canyon to just mimic the Sierra as they have been. This two different takes as worked well so why change it?

As for the Ranger with weight. All truck ride better with some weight in the back. The key though is most trucks ride empty so you need to dial in a decent ride empty too. GM had done well here in ride and handling on the road.

Many today who never owned or drove the 4x4 trucks of the 70ís would be shocked how they really drove, handled and stopped compared to todayís trucks.
post #40 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplemons View Post
I might go the Z71 route and do some basic upgrades so it's ready as an overlander. However, those ZR2s are tempting, especially with incentives or 0%. I've even seen some dealers offering an incentive for trading in a Ford (I drive a '12 Fusion V6)..
Take a ZR2 for a ride. The suspension on both highway and city driving will surprise you. Smo-o--th. Better than a Canyon Denali. And , well, more than capable off road. It is that well mannered. IT is night and day over the Z71 and worth it even if you never go off road much.

And as you say, the incentives are there now and even the "conquest ca$h" for owning another brand.

If you can get into one for $8K off or more it would be a steal . . .

14,200 Miles 5-1-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode