Preliminary ZR2 Bison Part Numbers - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:29 PM

The AEV transmission skid plate will work with the regular Z-71 skid plates, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulous74 View Post
One is with the bull bar, like the AEV SEMA concept had, and one is without. My guess it replaces the whole silver plate on the front, which is why it's only $100.00 more when you buy the complete bumper and $399 if you buy it for an existing bumper. But man it sure looked good on the concept vehicle.
Dang. I still want it.

2019 white Bison.
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:41 PM

I love/want that front bumper. But 2500 hurts. Guess that’s why they say love hurts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
...My guess it replaces the whole silver plate on the front, which is why it's only $100.00 more when you buy the complete bumper and $399 if you buy it for an existing bumper...
Correct.

I want it as well... I wonder if the existing plate would allow similar tubing to be welded onto it.... humm...

I am going (whenever work allows) to a local shop to also see what it will take to build a similar bed rack as the concept vehicle had... but in my case, because I want to keep the tonneau cover that I have, the tubing will have to be of slightly smaller diameter...

From that list, I want the following:

Front Bumper Tube
Transmission Skid Plate
Winch Install Kit
Rear Auxiliary Lights Brackets

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2019 Colorado ZR2 CC-SB Bison Diesel - Build Thread
2018 Subaru Crosstek Limited - Wife
2019 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD Premium - Daughter
2012 BMW X5 Diesel - Son
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:43 AM
JMB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The AEV transmission skid plate will work with the regular Z-71 skid plates, right?
Which Z71 skid plates? The OEM pieces that started on the ZR2 or aftermarket? Either way it probably should since they all use the same mounting points that far back in the chassis.

2018 Kinetic Blue CCLB Z71
1994 Laguna Blue Miata
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
Which Z71 skid plates? The OEM pieces that started on the ZR2 or aftermarket? Either way it probably should since they all use the same mounting points that far back in the chassis.
The OEM ones.
I plan on getting the OEM plates for the Z71 that are available. But to my knowledge, that new AEV transmission skid plate is the only "GM approved" skid plate for the transmission pan.
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

I wouldn't say it is GM Approved, if it really was, it would of been included in the Bison Package, as it's relatively inexpensive piece. And it doesn't appear GM will be offering that piece as an accessory. While yes it was designed by AEV with GM input, they obviously didn't want legal issues by offering it themselves.

'19 ZR2 Bison EC Diesel
#IWorkForGM-IT Business Analyst
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
The non-ZR2 OEM skid plates (Part #: 84352135 and 84352136) should be compatible with the AEV Bison skid plates. In one of the videos, AEV mentions that the boron steel plate is the same design as the OEM aluminum one, see https://www.shopchevyparts.com/off-r...-92300894.html, or #2 in the picture.

Also, the AEV transmission skid "plate" is just a series of bars to keep within GM's cooling requirements.

What I'm curious, is whether the AEV front skid plate #1 in the picture will work with non-ZR2 models.
Attached Images
File Type: png ZR2 Bison AEV Skid Plates Num.PNG (393.9 KB, 23 views)
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 AM

Just in case everyone hasn't seen the video explaining the Bison skid plates.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Right, on March 25th they said they would have two parts released that week, there is nothing new on their website since that time, except wheels for Tacoma's. Hopefully they will be able to release the parts soon. I've been waiting for the transmission skid and the bull bar since I got my Bison in Mid Jan.
I spoke to AEV recently about the trans skid and the front bumper center section with what they call the low bar. I was told both should be available later this spring. The guy I spoke with would not get any more specific but said that was per the "current gentleman's agreement" between AEV and GM.

I'm curious about the rear bumper knockouts for lights. I'm wanting to know if there is a harness there already or any kind of pre-wired accommodation for lights.

Also, I have been talking with a guy at GM Performance Parts about the front lift kit. The kit is still not available even though it is on the website. No solid ETA on it either.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
wachuko likes this.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceKeepr View Post
I spoke to AEV recently about the trans skid and the front bumper center section with what they call the low bar. I was told both should be available later this spring. The guy I spoke with would not get any more specific but said that was per the "current gentleman's agreement" between AEV and GM.

I'm curious about the rear bumper knockouts for lights. I'm wanting to know if there is a harness there already or any kind of pre-wired accommodation for lights.

Also, I have been talking with a guy at GM Performance Parts about the front lift kit. The kit is still not available even though it is on the website. No solid ETA on it either.

I was under the rear bumper last night and the bumpouts for the rear lights have nothing behind them, might have to cut to get them out. AEV appears to making a bracket to be able to mount lights, the only wiring loom in that area is for the license plate lights and trailer wiring. My guess is there will also be instructions or an actual loom to connect the lights back there.

'19 ZR2 Bison EC Diesel
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I was under the rear bumper last night and the bumpouts for the rear lights have nothing behind them, might have to cut to get them out. AEV appears to making a bracket to be able to mount lights, the only wiring loom in that area is for the license plate lights and trailer wiring. My guess is there will also be instructions or an actual loom to connect the lights back there.
A set of "approved" instructions would be nice. I'd take that over nothing.

post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Garage
Here's a short video from AEV discussing just the skid plates

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:57 PM

I know this is part number thread so feel free to delete this if inappropriate.

What is the towing capacity on the Bison? I have seen two different "first look/test" videos on the Bison that said it'll tow the same as a standard non-ZR2 Colorado. I know the ZR2 is limited because of trans cooling but did the Bison bumper make that much difference in cooling or is it 5000 lbs and the videos were wrong?

post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceKeepr View Post
I know this is part number thread so feel free to delete this if inappropriate.

What is the towing capacity on the Bison? I have seen two different "first look/test" videos on the Bison that said it'll tow the same as a standard non-ZR2 Colorado. I know the ZR2 is limited because of trans cooling but did the Bison bumper make that much difference in cooling or is it 5000 lbs and the videos were wrong?

From my recollection the 5000lbs max tow for ZR2 has more to do with the altered suspension including the dssv shocks than the trans cooling. The Bison is still a ZR2. If you need to tow more than 5000lbs regularly might be wise to think about going to a larger truck platform. 5000 is about the sweet spot for midsize anyways, IMO. Stay safe out there.
PieceKeepr and 93Duc like this.

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 CCSB| Graphite Metallic | 2.8L Duramax Diesel | Bose | Nav
  • Mods: 589Fab HD Shock Skids, Front Receiver Mount, Skid Plate Support Bracket, Rough Country Winch Cradle
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedArgh2 View Post
From my recollection the 5000lbs max tow for ZR2 has more to do with the altered suspension including the dssv shocks than the trans cooling. The Bison is still a ZR2. If you need to tow more than 5000lbs regularly might be wise to think about going to a larger truck platform. 5000 is about the sweet spot for midsize anyways, IMO. Stay safe out there.

Your recollection is correct, all ZR2 models, EC, CC, V6 and Diesel have a max 5000 lb tow rating, don't listen to those You Tube reviewers that are just reading generic specs and giving the world wrong information (Doug Demuro).
PieceKeepr likes this.

'19 ZR2 Bison EC Diesel
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:08 AM

I don't tow a lot but I am planning to rent a camper for a week this summer and I don't want to get one that is too heavy.

I know I have read on this forum that the limitation is because of cooling (allegedly) and guys have talked about bigger trans coolers etc and others say it's because of the suspension and the truck will sag too much if you go heavier. I just don't want to break anything and since I'm still waiting I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so to speak.

Last edited by PieceKeepr; 04-05-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Here's some info to hopefully help with this question, from the AEV website:

Quote:
AEV’s Transmission Skid Plate is designed specifically for the 2019+ ZR2 Bison. All other 2015+ ZR2/Z71 models must use the Bison Transfer Case Skid Plate in conjunction with this part.
For the Canyon owners among us:
Gave a quick call to AEV and they said the other skid plates "should" fit the Canyon. I know from past posts that their main position is that there aren't enough Canyons (and no ZR2 equivalent) on the road to justify building for them, but skid plates are something that ought to transfer well between the twins. Time will tell of course, and assuming the frames are fairly identical underneath both trucks, it would make sense and has me with high hopes!

post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Red face

Pretty sure you all have seen this... but looks like we might have a few more things coming out eventually for the Bison...

From their posting on FB, and I quote:

Quote:
Here it is, our 2019 Colorado ZR2 Bison Tray Bed concept. We originally set out to build this truck as a unique concept vehicle for Overland Expo West in order to A.) to gage consumer interest on a possible Tray Bed conversion and B.) to show a prototype of some high clearance fender flares we have been working on. Well, as this truck began to take shape that plan was quickly scrapped in favor of some much bigger plans. We all decided that it would be the perfect vehicle to add to a small fleet of AEV-outfitted vehicles going on a 3-day expedition in the Altar Desert, the week prior to Overland Expo West. It was a great opportunity to test out some of our new and future products and really see how this truck held up to the harsh desert terrain. Needless to say, the truck performed flawlessly and is now en route to #OverlandExpoWest in Flagstaff, AZ as we speak.
- - Photo credit: Scott Brady
Now, I know you all probably have LOTS of questions, so this may help answer some of them…
Q: Is this truck just a concept or will it eventually go into production?
A: As of TODAY, it is a concept.
Q: How much would a conversion like this cost?
A: We do not know.
Q: How much did you lift a ZR2 to fit 35’s with these fender flares?
A: NONE. However, this does have a GMPP leveling kit, just to take some rake out of the front end.
Q: What other work was done to the suspension?
A: Aside from the GMPP leveling kit and the GMPP steel driveshaft -nothing. That is the beauty of these high clearance fender flares, they allow you to fit a 35” tall tire without compromising ZR2’s factory suspension geometry. This truck will be coming back to Michigan after Overland Expo to receive a few more GMPP upgrades but we will not be adding any additional lift height.
Q: Do you have a picture of the rear flares?
A: No. This is the first truck we built with the prototype design. We will post pictures as soon as we have some.
Q: Is this design set in stone?
A: Not necessarily. These are prototypes, which means the design is subject to change before being sent into production.
Q: When will those fender flares be available?
A: We do not know at this time.
Q: How much will those fender flares cost?
A: We do not know at this time.
Q: Are the exposed bolts on the fender flares real or fake?
A: No aesthetic bolts allowed. These are 100% real and there out of necessity to attach the fender flare.
Q: When are the Bison bumpers going to be available?
A: We do not have an exact date, but we are doing everything we can. Bumpers are the most complex components on the ZR2 Bison, so they take the longest for us to produce. We are currently meeting Chevy’s demands but not exceeding it. Once we can rectify that situation, we will be good to go. Trust me, we want to sell them just as bad as you want to buy them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60523215_2257217201012685_3699389785996001280_o.jpg (193.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 60622841_2257217274346011_6752631012510924800_o.jpg (195.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 60150516_2257340931000312_66202518526361600_o.jpg (147.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 60272949_2257340961000309_8632710722511437824_o.jpg (184.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 60320710_2257341021000303_1848514702557052928_o.jpg (218.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 60341040_2257341804333558_1889396404598603776_o.jpg (164.6 KB, 19 views)

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2019 Colorado ZR2 CC-SB Bison Diesel - Build Thread
2018 Subaru Crosstek Limited - Wife
2019 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD Premium - Daughter
2012 BMW X5 Diesel - Son

Last edited by wachuko; 05-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:37 PM

AEV is going to make up get a 2nd Bison.

2019 white Bison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode