Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

ZR2 Bison / AEV Concept

27K views 102 replies 57 participants last post by  ATXKiwi 
#1 ·
#39 ·
I just ordered the snorkel. I’m super excited a legitamate company released a snorkel. I’m kind of iffy on the wheel design but I am happy they will be offering parts for the Colorado’s! Definitely cool to see we at least get some cool aftermarket options. Why should Tacoma’s have all the exciting parts haha

#41 · (Edited)
You can buy it from your local Chevy dealer after the first of the year.
still comes with 31inch duratracs
I like the front bumper, rear bumper is fugly
same suspension
comes with 5 skid plates, can probably buy the aftermarket ones sold here cheaper
ya get AEM emblems, woopdedoo
don;t like the wheels

Same motor as a WT again, ya don't see a Raptor with the same motor as a F150 wt

Attachments

Reactions: great08
#46 ·
The WT only comes with the 2.5L I4 no V6 or diesel options there. Also the 450HP 3.5L Twin Turbo Raptor engine will be available on regular F150s in 2019. The gas tank skid isn't available from any aftermarket company that I am aware of either so that is good.

I wonder what happened to the wheels AEV showed off a couple months ago? Those were nice looking. Maybe you can get those from AEV and not Chevy.
I heard they had a supplier issue but they are still coming this fall. 33's would have been really nice

#43 · (Edited)
ZR2 Bison Announced

One of those skid plates is the fabled fuel tank skid everyone’s been begging for...

I think it looks great. I prefer the stock ZR2 wheels, but that’s really my only gripe. I want one of these.. bad! Unfortunately, I can’t justify a regular ZR2, let alone the Bison.

Edit: Sweet pump up video

https://youtu.be/b2XxLPBqeYg

#52 ·
One of those skid plates is the fabled fuel tank skid everyone’s been begging for...

My hope is that the skid plates go up for sale, I won't buy a new bumper but if the transfer case skid and fuel skid are integrated then I'd buy both. I've seen the need to protect the area in front of the fuel tank and the tank itself with my own adventures. It wasn't cheap to repair so protecting the area where the brake booster sits as well as the emissions crap is probably worth it.

#44 · (Edited)
Very cool.....

I like the standard ZR2 rims much better, otherwise looks nice........would of made much more sense to have upgraded power-plants for this new model.
Happy camper with my ZR2.....sure don't need any further off-road capability than I already have.

IMHO, most owners of the standard ZR2 don't come anywhere close to utilizing the full potential of it's capability.........so not sure how many need something even more rugged like the Bison.

Reactions: Therby
#45 · (Edited)
I wonder what happened to the wheels AEV showed off a couple months ago? Those were nice looking. Maybe you can get those from AEV and not Chevy.

Just disappointed they didn’t get 33” tires on there.

#47 ·
I'm gonna go with those 33" tires required some unique stamping/sheetmetal or stronger front axles or something, and drove the cost of the project too high. Beancounters, man.

That all being said, I think it's awesome that an OEM is doing anything like this. A factory truck with front and rear steel bumpers, a full armor kit, and front and rear lockers? It's an awesome base for an offroad expedition truck.

#48 ·
No change in real world performance, the skids may or may not be as good as after market. Front is fugley I'll keep my ZR. Now if they had done the suspension I would be all over it.

#57 ·
I'm not too bothered by the front but I'm definitely not in love with it, I do really like that rear bumper though. But you nailed it about the suspension, they keep talking about the suspension they are working on with the Hall race trucks and then this comes out with no suspension upgrades?!?! I would say I'm disappointed but honestly I'm kinda glad cuz at least this way I don't have to worry about the urge to trade mine in on a Bison. Here's to hoping that the suspension upgrade is still in the works as a kit from Chevy!

Reactions: ZR2Cougar
#51 ·
I like this...I like the ZR2, but I think this version actually looks even better.

Here is the official press release: https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u...ent/Pages/news/us/en/2018/sep/0906-bison.html

Main differences are added skid plates, and new front and rear bumpers which include winch mounting points.

Honestly though, I wish they had just given the standard ZR2 this treatment, and called it a day. This package likely won't be cheap.

#53 ·
I've got to hand it to 'em (Chevy)... The Jeep Wrangler has been one of the most popular vehicles of recent. What the Rubicon is to the Base model Wrangler, the ZR2 is to the Base model Colorado. The addition of the new Bison ZR2 shows that Chevy seems to be following the path of Jeep (FCA?). Perhaps the Bison is one of other 'special edition' Colorados to come. Jeep has so many, ... Altitude, Arctic, Call of Duty, Islander, Moab, Recon... the list goes on. I hope that Chevy continues to pair with other companies and produce special edition Colorados.

#61 ·
I saw the announcement this morning and it's a little different than what I was expecting. Then again, for an out-the-box offroad-capable rig like the ZR2, it's pretty hard to improve on the mild lift and suspension ride it already has. So, what else...

The bumpers are nice, rear corners are eased and have slider protection, good recovery points. Front bumper looks a little tame, no recovery points, except for what looks like some tow hooks UNDER the bumper. If it's winch-capable, why aren't there pictures of it reeling in a new Warn? The driving lights are nice I guess, but they're probably low-power OE halogen and it looks like it causes less ease of the bumper corners versus the ZR2's. Probably not a big deal, but, also, did anyone pause to think that the lamps look a little Toyota-ish? More of a question, and less of a negative point.

I'm not real enthused with the wheels because they appear to be cosmetic-only. They are nice. AEV wheels that you'd buy for a Jeep come in a different offset so a much larger tire can be fitted, and the other 'meh' point: GM elected to retain the 31" Duratracs which are NOT A LIGHT TRUCK TIRE. The OE tire on a ZR2 is for standard passenger loads. So basically it's just a unique wheel design with no extra function which is fine, but it seems to be less aggressive/trail-looking than the stock ZR2 design.

Some badges, a new plastic grille, embroidery, all cool stuff for what will probably be at least a $5k add-on to the sticker of a ZR2, but it's a really neat rig apart from the decal-job. Maybe not Jeep AEV-conversion cool, but it has some of the flavor, and one of its better points, it comes from the factory equipped with the AEV bits already.

I think one of the real value points is in the skid plates. If the truck isn't getting higher, then at least it can drag easier. Diff plates, fuel tank plate, all good stuff to help out a longer-wheelbase vehicle like a truck in real offroad situations.

Snorkel...I'm not going there. Thankfully it's an add-on accessory.

As for the "Bison" name, it's kind of confusing since when I think "Bison" I think of this gargantuan animal, like maybe it would be a nameplate for a full-size truck. I guess "Elk" didn't quite convey the kind of presence GM/AEV were looking for. But it's still cool, GM/AEV are making me want one, unfortunately they already got me with the ZR2!!

#62 ·
It is ok, but other then skid plates and bumpers (which) may have trade offs, not sure it that different from the base. BTW, will be heavier so may not feel as good on road as base ZR2. I think if you go wheeling often on weekends or live in a remote area, it might make sense based on price increase, but for the vast majority, if they are honest, it just does not make sense over the base ZR2, unless the price delta is only like $2k, then it can become a looks decision. My guess is at least for this year dealers will want top $. So you could end up paying over $50k. There are alot of nice vehicles in that price bracket, and oh by the way they come will LED lights and garage door openers. [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#63 ·
My hope is that all of the parts are available either via the dealers or AEV.

Curious about @Xwd's reaction to the snorkel. Care to elaborate?

The front bumper does nothing for me. I'd go with the ADD bumper
I like the rear dumper.
The skid plates seem cool but I'll probably go with 589's plates instead.

I was honestly hoping for more. I would have been interested in a kit that would put the ZR2 on 33" wheels & tires, but I guess that aint happening.

#69 ·
My reaction to snorkels in general...they're a magnet for tree branches and pokey rock ledges on tight trails. Needs a hole cut in the side of the rig to put one on. Can create annoying wind noise on the highway.

In general are not a replacement for properly surveying, measuring, or first wading a water crossing. And with modern engine management, any "cold air intake" benefit they might provide is probably negligible. On most rigs they seem to be more of a personal statement, but, you drive yours, and I'll drive mine.

I'd love to watch someone actually need/meaningfully use a snorkel on a Bison. In my adventures I've never wanted or needed one, which is why I kinda see it as a cheesy offering on an otherwise pretty serious factory rig.

#68 ·
I really like the skids for fuel tank and rear diff, definitely will look into picking those up! Hope they bolt right on to my existing ZR2.

Other than that, I was thinking the Bison edition would be...more, somehow. Obviously they couldn't follow the concept exactly, but this seems a little underwhelming. I was hoping it would at least come with the long-travel DSSV's and 33" tires. Still no idea when/if Chevy Performance Parts will be releasing those suspension goodies and other items from the Hall Racing ZR2.

Haven't been able to check more sources yet, but the front bumper (which looks okay) seems to impede some approach angle? Or is that just an illusion of the video?

#70 ·
Reactions: wachuko
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.