What are you towing with your Colorado? - Page 14 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 195Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #261 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTombaugh View Post
Based on what I had read somewhere, I was expecting the 5 gallons of DEF to last for about 5K miles? I'm still under 2K on the odometer, and the DIC showed 25% DEF remaining. I'm assuming that it was filled with 5 gallons during dealer prep? I'm assuming that it consumes more while towing? Probably commensurate with fuel usage?
My truck from Dealer came with DEF tank full I assume each dealer does it differently. I found my DEF tank will go twice as far over when I'm towing. I did round trip from Montana to New Mexico with DEF tank full the day I left and just short of home on return leg I was almost empty.

Before leaving home on camping trips I stop and fill my DEF tank at local truck stop, where they pump it in same as pumping gas. High volume truck stops have it next to diesel pumps where you can pump yourself. DEF fluid from bulk supply such as truck stops will garner fresher DEF over store bought jugs. DEF fluid has two year shelf life.

If you ever go this route make sure you have towel to clean side of truck in case it spits out when close to full.
BTombaugh likes this.

2018 GMC Canyon SLT 4wd Crew Cab, DT Dsp4 tune, Clearview tow mirrors, Fold-A-Cover, Anderson 5th Wheel Hitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Put the old girl to work yesterday. I was on my way to some land I own that I brush hog a couple of times a year. With the tractor, loader, brush hog and the chains and binders I am pretty darn close to 5000 pounds. The truck did just fine. I definitely knew it was back there but it tracked well even with speeds up to 65. Personally, I would not want this truck to pull much more than that.

Goodspike likes this.

....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

2019 Colorado LT CC SB V-6 4x4 Redline Edition Tow Pkg and Auto Locking Differential
post #263 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 AM

Garage
Just got back from towing our hotel room from Denver CO to my daughter's graduation in Flagstaff, AZ.
I refused to pay $220 a night for an Econo Lodge motel.

I've towed various combinations over the years. Some much better than others. Long story short, the 2019 Z71 is a downsize from a Ram 2500. I was no longer hauling three motorcycles and the trailer etc.

I'm not going to write a blow by blow review of how it did in the mountains. Just suffice it to say I was pleasantly surprised by its eagerness to tow in the mountains. I was able to keep it at the speed limit of 45 on Wolf Creek pass without too much trouble. I'll take that these days. I'm in much less of a hurry.

Snap shot of details:

Trailer loaded = 5,130lbs
Equalizer WD and Sway control hitch

Route Down: All freeway - I-25 to I-40 and across
Rout Back: 90% two laners FLG to Cortez to Buena Vista etc

MPG overall from DEN to FLG and back was 10.4 (done by hand) (I'll take that any day)
Least MPG 8.4 from Pagosa Springs to Poncha Springs (section with Wolf Creek)

Max Trans Temp 200 on Wolf Creek pass
Average Trans Temp 170 (eyeball guesstimate)

Main Complaint: Fuel tank needs 9 more gallons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0924.jpg (440.8 KB, 29 views)
ernster500 and BTombaugh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #264 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:37 PM

I haven't been able to find this answer in the manual or online so I'll just ask. What is considered too hot for the automatic 8 speed? I'm in Florida and just driving around town in traffic I've seen it in the 190s. I'll be surprised if it isn't well into the 200s when I tow a camper in July.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
post #265 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceKeepr View Post
I haven't been able to find this answer in the manual or online so I'll just ask. What is considered too hot for the automatic 8 speed? I'm in Florida and just driving around town in traffic I've seen it in the 190s. I'll be surprised if it isn't well into the 200s when I tow a camper in July.

What ambient temps are you driving in? As a very general rule of thumb, trans temps are around 90 above ambient. So if you've had 95 days, it doesn't surprise me you are seen T-Temps in the 190's.

I'll let others who know more about this trans, it's specs, and it's fluid specs, but in the past, I've always kept an eye on that 220 mark when towing. If it crept up to 230 for long, I'd back off and or even pull over (this while pulling the steep passes) and get it cooled down.
PieceKeepr likes this.
post #266 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Transmissions temps creeps up when there is a lot shifting. Depending on conditions, I seek a speed that will keep it pretty much on one gear. Quit using the cruise control, shifts way too much. I use the Tow/Haul mode on curvy, steep inclines and slow easy does it. On the flat, just regular mode to get on higher gears and watch for changes, use momentum to go on rolling hills. So far, never reached 200F, knock on wood. Pulled out 3680lbs camper from Denver to Frisco, at 45 MPH, at 4000ish RPMs, got about 180~190 trans temps.
post #267 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse View Post
What ambient temps are you driving in?
It's been hot here, around 90 give or take a degree or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateado View Post
Transmissions temps creeps up when there is a lot shifting.
Most of my driving so far has been in traffic and a lot of our traffic lights are pretty close together so constant up and down shifting.

IronHorse likes this.
post #268 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 AM

Use Tow Haul mode and go easy, perhaps you are doing that already.
post #269 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 AM

My 3500# Ranger boat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck3.jpg (529.9 KB, 18 views)

'18 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 CCSB Summit White
post #270 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:21 PM

Garage
By the way, I blew by a new Taco that was towing his trailer of approximate same size.

That felt kinda good. :D
post #271 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse View Post
By the way, I blew by a new Taco that was towing his trailer of approximate same size.
If you have the diesel it would also feel good when you see them blow by you going down!
post #272 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
If you have the diesel it would also feel good when you see them blow by you going down!
I have the gasser actually. And didn't find it to be too horrible on the downhill side of Wolf Creek. Yes, I did have to brake every so often but not near as much as I had worried about.
post #273 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
Overall, I am very pleased with my Duramax CCSB Z71 4WD. However, it is narrow for a 7' wide trailer. I wish GM would make the black plastic snap-on mirror extensions for the small truck like they do for the big Silverado. These "mirror snaps" cover the entire front of the mirror and add a mirror on the outside in the rear. They look good, unlike the rubber-strap temporary mirror add-ons that I have. What I have works, so I put up with UGLY, but better would be appreciated. These mirrors do NOT need to be $500 either! I don't know of any wider mirrors for the Colorado - anyone know different?

I just came back from towing my Cargo-Trailer-ToyHauler-Camper (weight 4760# loaded (820# motorcycle), 7'Wx14'Lx6'H) on 1000 mile trip to Canyonlands Park,near Moab Utah. It was my first row-haul trip. I had the combination weighed (for free) at a Utah truck weigh station. Total was 10080#. The truck itself was 5320# with full tank, spare tire, cooler, tools, misc stuff in the back and me in it (195#).

I was pleasantly surprised that mpgs were 15.7 going down fro near Yellowstone Park. The way back was a Very fierce headwind, terrible! It was 35-45 mph headwind and bigger gusts. Still, mpgs were not that bad at 13.5 and 65 mph still OK.

My Toyota 4 Runner would only get 12 mpg pulling 1400# open flatbed with motorcycle on it. Hills and mountains were a total pain, 3rd gear, maybe 40-45 mph up the slope working like mad. I doubt the 4Runner would pull my ToyHauler-Camper up the mountains. The Duramax, same hills with the bigger loaded trailer, 65 mph no problem no sweat. Most of the time, rpms were in the 1500-2000 range.

I was in trailer park near Canyonlands and 2 spaces over was a fellow with a big size Duramax. Of course he wanted to ask about my "baby Duramx", I told him my mpgs and performance; he couldn't believe it. He said he gets 8 or 9 mpg in his big Duramax, and very few times in the 10s. I let him turn on my Colorado because I leave the Trip A/mpg screen on all the time. He turned it on and there was the number 15.7! He was amazed. He is now (maybe?) considering getting a Colorado because it does a better job than his 3 year old Big Duramax. He said he didn't even know about this Colorado Duramax truck - very little if almost no advertising by Chev/GMC. I see TV ads, but have not seen one that featured or talked about a Colorado/Canyon. A passing photo op in the middle of other trucks is the most I have seen.

It is a pain to add DEF, there should be some easier way to keep it from spilling over on side of truck. Diesel is OK, I add the cold weather treatment (6.5oz/20 gallons) in the winter. I have only done that 2 times so far. I have 4200 miles on truck now in 8 months ownership. This truck regularly gets 25-27 mpg in town, sometimes drops to 23-24. On highway w/o trailer I get 28-29, and a few trips at 30-31 mpgs. I bought this truck with heavy bargaining/dealing because the 2019s were sitting right next to it and dropped the price by sizable amount, no matter what the Blue -Books/etc said. I have never seen a Blue-Book" buy anything!

This is my new-or-any first american vehicle of any kind in over 26 years. The Colorado is my first Chevrolet. I wouldn't buy any of them (american or foreign) or Toyota Tundra/Tacoma, etc because of crappy gas mileage. A used 2000 Subaru Outback was pretty good at 25-30 mpgs, that is, until it threw a rod (or something) and seized at 147K miles at the bottom of my driveway, value $5000 to ZERO$ in an instant. I never mistreated it or raced around, nice little car, comfortable, and big enough. I still have the 1996 4Runner, only 168K miles, no problems, still runs like it always does, is reliable.

Just my observations and opinions.
YMMV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aGEDC6705a.jpg (247.6 KB, 26 views)
IronHorse likes this.
post #274 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:09 PM

@shaman-mogur

Check out the Boost or ClearView towing mirrors. Im using the ClearView mirrors but Boost makes similar ones that are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IronHorse and BTombaugh like this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #275 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
@shaman-mogur

Check out the Boost or ClearView towing mirrors. Im using the ClearView mirrors but Boost makes similar ones that are cheaper.
I mentioned the Boost mirrors in the other thread that commenter posted in. I hate the pathetic factory mirrors even when not towing. Best investment ever.
BTombaugh likes this.
post #276 of 278 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM

First time tugging the boat with the Colorado. Had no issues!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60541479_10217530689133547_2049508718059454464_o.jpg (243.1 KB, 19 views)
post #277 of 278 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM

That's a light setup luckily, I did 5800-6200 lb 21ft walkaround and it handled it well.
post #278 of 278 (permalink) Old Today, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloliveira View Post
That's a light setup luckily, I did 5800-6200 lb 21ft walkaround and it handled it well.

You'd be surprised. Dry weight of the boat is 4200lbs. Plus trailer, plus gear, plus options selected that aren't counted in the dry weight.... my guess is more like 6200lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in