• 2 Post By lqdchkn
  • 2 Post By DieselDrax
  • 1 Post By dave66rivi
  • 2 Post By Payload
  • 1 Post By GregDAP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Search Hints

I see a lot of issues with searching, and thought we might ought to have a search thread for people to put in hints.

------> Use of quotations can be helpful

>>>>> "rear axle" >>>> with quotes, will return occurrences of the phrase rear axle where the word rear is followed by word axle with one space in between.

>>>>> rear axle >>>> without quotes, will return any threads where rear and axle both appear in thread, even if different people posted the two words.

------>Cannot search on less than 4 letters. So, can't search just V6 as an example.

------> If having trouble, try searching with GOOGLE (or perhaps your favorite search engine) using colorado fan & then the words or letters you want to search. I recently used "colorado fans v6 v4" without the quotes to search on google and find threads about the V6 & V4 modes on the 2017/2018 V6 engines.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I see a lot of issues with searching, and thought we might ought to have a search thread for people to put in hints.

------> Use of quotations can be helpful

>>>>> "rear axle" >>>> with quotes, will return occurrences of the phrase rear axle where the word rear is followed by word axle with one space in between.

>>>>> rear axle >>>> without quotes, will return any threads where rear and axle both appear in thread, even if different people posted the two words.

------>Cannot search on less than 4 letters. So, can't search just V6 as an example.

------> If having trouble, try searching with GOOGLE (or perhaps your favorite search engine) using colorado fan & then the words or letters you want to search. I recently used "colorado fans v6 v4" without the quotes to search on google and find threads about the V6 & V4 modes on the 2017/2018 V6 engines.
Good idea on helping the members perform searches - Thanks CaryBosse
There are few additional ways to search:

Using the example of the V6 and V4, you can use V6+V4 without quotes to return items that have both V6 and V4 listed.
Using an * can help for different word syntax, as in Running*Board will return RunningBoard and "Running Board"

When I'm searching on google, I put ColoradoFans in as one word which changes the sort order and almost ensures that anything from the forum comes up on top. For those unfamiliar with Google Rankings, they will put items that rank higher or pays them more to have their items come up first in a search.
CheezyRiderAZ likes this.

2017 Colorado Z71, Cajun Red, Crew Cab, Bose, Nav, Factory Bedliner
Mods: Westin HDX Xtreme Boards, Window Tint, Exhaust Extension, Bully Hitch Step, WeatherTech Mud Flaps, Tuxedo Titanium Tonneau, Bedrug, Box Lights, AeroSkin II
LEDs: OPT7 FluxBeam Headlights, JDMAstar Fogs, JDMAstar Backup, JDMAster License, JDMAstar Brake
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 PM

Garage
What?! You can search on here?!?
dave66rivi likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM

And if you could, who would search for V6? Yeesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White016 View Post
What?! You can search on here?!?
White016 likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_B View Post
And if you could, who would search for V6? Yeesh...
But searches must be 4 or more characters so v6 will not work.

In his case, v4 would be optimum as there are lots of threads with v6 but few with v4.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 PM

Was just a poke at one who seemed to notice.

Quote:
But searches must be 4 or more characters so v6 will not work.

In his case, v4 would be optimum as there are lots of threads with v6 but few with v4.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:49 PM

Also recommend using "Advanced Search"

Using advanced you change restrict the search to topic titles, so that youre not getting hit on any random matching word in any post or user signature. Also using advanced you can restrict your search to the forum that makes sense to what your looking for. ie If your looking for topics specifically for extended cab rear seats you can restrict the search to the interior section as nothing in the categories: wheels/tires, engine, etc would matter.

When using google always use "site://coloradofans.com" then a space and your key words. The "site://xyz.com" will tell google to only look for matches from that site. Works on ANY site BTW
CaryBosse and RayS like this.

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:

V4 = cylinder deactivation in the V6

The 4 cylinder gas and Diesel engines are I4.

Not saying you were referring to the 4cyl engines as V4s, but some people don’t know what the “V” and “I” refer to so they call them V4 engines. But for people wanting to know what the V4 indicator means it would be nice if the internal search would allow it.

Also, when using Google to search you can limit search results to a specific site very easily. Just add “site:coloradofans.com” to the search query. No quotes needed.

See attached for an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CaryBosse and Gryfer like this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:52 PM

Garage
A google search for anything related to 2nd gen twins almost always lists coloradofans.com 1st. It appears that coloradofans.com is the most informative place for 2nd gen twins on the internet.
CaryBosse likes this.

2016 Colorado LT CC SB V6 2WD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:09 PM

Or you could just log on here, don't bother with a search, start a new thread to ask your question and push a 'tude when someone suggests a search might be useful.
Just sayin.
CaryBosse and TMBSTN like this.

Currently:
2018 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Red Quartz Tintcoat/Cocoa Dune
Bose, Nav
Picked up 9/23/17
Previously:
2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Very helpful thread. It is now stuck and has sticky status
lqdchkn likes this.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
V4 = cylinder deactivation in the V6

The 4 cylinder gas and Diesel engines are I4.

Not saying you were referring to the 4cyl engines as V4s, but some people don’t know what the “V” and “I” refer to so they call them V4 engines. But for people wanting to know what the V4 indicator means it would be nice if the internal search would allow it.

Also, when using Google to search you can limit search results to a specific site very easily. Just add “site:coloradofans.com” to the search query. No quotes needed.
I did not know this. Thank you!

2015 Colorado LT CCSB 3.6L V6 [Cyber Gray Metallic]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode