2017 GMC Canyon Collision Rebuild - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmac9 View Post
i started a wreck thread a while back if y'all are interested.its called crazy wreck stories.

Link?

2017 Deep Woods Green ZR2 CC
Truxedo Titanium cover
Go Rhino RB20 running boards
RC level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter62 View Post
Link?

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/...k-stories.html

2015 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab 3.6L
-3 in oval stepsides by Aries
-slide in bedliner

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkeys1 View Post
... and the chrome fog light housings! I also added the GM tailgate latch with chrome handle and chrome GM recovery hooks.

Are there any issues moving from the 18" SLT wheels to the larger 20" Denali wheels? I assume the overall height (wheel + tire) is the about same because the Denali tires have a lower profile. I thought I read somewhere that you could change your wheel diameter in the settings, but now I don't see a way to do that.
No issues moving from SLT to Denali wheel. I added splash guards and have a very slight rub on the front left, but that's probably related to my situation. From what I have seen on other threads, GM supposedly uses the same speedometer configuration for all trim levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 PM

Garage
The last picture of the driver side view. The front left wheel looks to be slightly rearward then that of the passenger side view.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gokart View Post
The last picture of the driver side view. The front left wheel looks to be slightly rearward then that of the passenger side view.
It is set more rearward in the wheel well than the passenger side. But, it reads as "flawless geometry" on the alignment rack.

It could very well be related to the situation, but if you read enough of the posts on this forum, there are an infinite number of people who have increased tire size and ONLY have rubbing on the rear side of the front left, which is exactly where I have it. And none of them are rebuilt trucks. Which indicates that something GM does is not centering both front wheels equally within the wheel wells.
RedEyeB20 likes this.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMOCanyon View Post
No issues moving from SLT to Denali wheel. I added splash guards and have a very slight rub on the front left, but that's probably related to my situation. From what I have seen on other threads, GM supposedly uses the same speedometer configuration for all trim levels.
According to tiresize.com's comparison calculator, there will be a difference in speedometer reading between the 2 tire sizes. The 20" setup will be moving slightly faster than the speed shown on the display. Is that right? It also shows the 18" tire is a little wider.

Comparison between 18" and 20" Canyon Wheel sizes:
slt-vs-denali-wheel-compare.gif

Actual specs for Goodyear vs. Bridgestone tires:
wheel-size-compare-by-brand.gif

2006 Chevy Colorado Crew LT 2.8L (Sunburst Orange Metallic w/Dark Pewter)
2016 GMC Canyon SLT V6 (Summit White w/Cocoa-Dune) + Bose

Last edited by slamkeys1; 05-08-2019 at 12:20 AM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:44 PM

Here a website you can buy Salvaged vehicles https://erepairables.com/
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMOCanyon View Post
No issues moving from SLT to Denali wheel. ... From what I have seen on other threads, GM supposedly uses the same speedometer configuration for all trim levels.
If that is true, how does the computer know if you have the 20" Denali wheels/tires vs. the 18" SLT wheels/tires, which have a slightly smaller profile?

If there is no compensation in the computer, then a truck with the 20" Denali wheels will have traveled a longer distance given the same odometer reading as the truck with 18" SLT wheels, because the smaller tires have to rotate more times per mile than the taller tires. Does that make sense?

Admittedly, the speedometer readings will be very close, but if my daughter (the daily driver of my Canyon) thinks she is driving 60mph, she'll actually be doing 61mph according to the comparison results on tiresize.com.

Does anyone have a link to the other discussion about GM using the same speedometer configuration for all trim levels? I have a hard time believing they don't have some way of making the speedometer readings accurate for each OEM tire setup.

2006 Chevy Colorado Crew LT 2.8L (Sunburst Orange Metallic w/Dark Pewter)
2016 GMC Canyon SLT V6 (Summit White w/Cocoa-Dune) + Bose
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It also shows the 18" tire is a little wider.
The Denali rim is wider than the other OEM rims, but the 255mm tire for the Denali is obviously 10mm less than the 265mm tire you picked for an 18" wheel.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If that is true, how does the computer know if you have the 20" Denali wheels/tires vs. the 18" SLT wheels/tires, which have a slightly smaller profile?

If there is no compensation in the computer, then a truck with the 20" Denali wheels will have traveled a longer distance given the same odometer reading as the truck with 18" SLT wheels, because the smaller tires have to rotate more times per mile than the taller tires. Does that make sense?

Admittedly, the speedometer readings will be very close, but if my daughter (the daily driver of my Canyon) thinks she is driving 60mph, she'll actually be doing 61mph according to the comparison results on tiresize.com.

Does anyone have a link to the other discussion about GM using the same speedometer configuration for all trim levels? I have a hard time believing they don't have some way of making the speedometer readings accurate for each OEM tire setup.
If you do a search on the forums for "speedometer", there are a lot of posts. I've yet to see anyone say GM DOES NOT use the same speedo configuration for normal stock sizes. Maybe @RatRacer has more info, I quickly found one of his comments:
"Given the tire size spread that GM uses on all the twin models, they keep them in a fed acceptable 5% also, so they don't need to touch the calibration."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode