v6 go into v4 mode much? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
If you drive a car that has the engine shut off at stops. . that is Stop/Start control. .. . not cylinder deactivation. Two different things.. .

The new LGZ Colorado/Canyon engine ONLY has cylinder deactivation, sometimes also called DOD. . . or Displacement On Demand.

First time I experienced this was in Italy a few years ago. Pulled out of the rental lot and came to a red light a few blocks down. Didn't know why the car had stalled and went through a light cycle before I realized what was going on. I can only imagine the people behind me swearing in Italian. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hack14u likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
If you drive a car that has the engine shut off at stops. . that is Stop/Start control. .. . not cylinder deactivation. Two different things.. .

The new LGZ Colorado/Canyon engine ONLY has cylinder deactivation, sometimes also called DOD. . . or Displacement On Demand.
Actually it is cylinder deactivation only all cylinders are deactivated instead of a select few. One question I have is are the same cylinders deactivated each time or is it changed each time?

Last edited by GeorgeT451; 01-30-2017 at 09:13 AM.
post #43 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:36 AM

My 2017 Denali performs as others have stated, RARELY goes to 4 cylinder mode. The only time I have seen it drop to 4 cylinders is on decel. Thank God they didn't put Stop/Start on these trucks. I currently have 3 other vehicles with this "feature" and have permanently deactivated it on all but one. I also owned a V8-6-4 GM in the 80's and the engine in the twins is nothing like that, so don't let that keep you from purchasing a 2017. I test drove a few 2016's before ordering a 2017 and glad I waited. The new 8 speed transmission makes this truck the vehicle it was intended to be, HUGE improvement in the driving and performance of the twins. The cylinder deactivation takes nothing away from the pleasure of driving these trucks. The new trans offsets any possible negative you may experience (and I can think of none) from the cylinder deactivation.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:47 AM

Not one negative experience with the deactivation in the new v-6. Love the engine and 8 speed transmission. The ride is great as well!
GraniteBlue05 likes this.
post #45 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:04 AM

OK, I understand gaming the EPA. I also understand physics. But will one of you experts out there please explain to me what AFM 2 cylinder deactivation on brief deceleration accomplishes in real numbers?

I am having a difficult time believing this is just another manufacturer/government charade at the consumers expense.

Why not go max on fuel efficiency, shut down the engines entirely and just tow these trucks from point to point.

Currently:
2018 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Red Quartz Tintcoat/Cocoa Dune
Bose, Nav
Picked up 9/23/17
Previously:
2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #46 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT451 View Post
Actually it is cylinder deactivation only all cylinders are deactivated instead of a select few. One question I have is are the same cylinders deactivated each time or is it changed each time?
And by that logic. . . a V6 engine is really only one cylinder. Because only one cylinder is firing at a time.
post #47 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payload View Post
OK, I understand gaming the EPA. I also understand physics. But will one of you experts out there please explain to me what AFM 2 cylinder deactivation on brief deceleration accomplishes in real numbers?

I am having a difficult time believing this is just another manufacturer/government charade at the consumers expense.

Why not go max on fuel efficiency, shut down the engines entirely and just tow these trucks from point to point.
Note that I am not a proponent of the cylinder deactivation. I remember a buddy's father back in the late 70s had one of those Cadillac setups, and while looking at the all of the technology on the instrument panel, it seemed pretty hard to fathom how it would work.

I do think that if you have a 5.3L V8 and can run it somehow in a V4 mode, their might be substantial savings.

I also think the only way the cylinder deactivation really works is if you can run on 4 cylinders for extended periods of time. If the only time these engines see enough of a reduced demand to run on 4 cylinders is downhill with the wind at your back as you decelerate, then it isn't worth it.

I'd love to drive one of these on a couple of good roads where I know I can "hypermile" the truck and see if I can get substantial 4 cylinder operation.

In any event. I think this is a great selling feature, to choose the diesel.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #48 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 AM

Garage
does anyone know what the HP and torque specs are when the engine is in V4 mode? I'm thinking that the specs are just to under powered for the Truck to really spend much time in V4Mode.
CaryBosse likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #49 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
does anyone know what the HP and torque specs are when the engine is in V4 mode? I'm thinking that the specs are just to under powered for the Truck to really spend much time in V4Mode.
The simple answer would be 2/3 of the full engine specs, but since you are driving two "dead" cylinders, probably closer to half perhaps?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #50 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payload View Post
That would not be more efficient, taking into account the tow truck.

Cylinder deactivation should reduce fuel consumption during idle. Six cylinders aren't necessary just to keep the engine running. I don't see why anyone should be opposed to this on principle. It is just a matter of whether the system works well or not.
post #51 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH1618 View Post
That would not be more efficient, taking into account the tow truck.

Cylinder deactivation should reduce fuel consumption during idle. Six cylinders aren't necessary just to keep the engine running. I don't see why anyone should be opposed to this on principle. It is just a matter of whether the system works well or not.
Does the engine go into V4 mode when sitting at a light?

That is an interesting angle I had not considered, as I was more focused on driving down the road on 4 cylinders. With all of the idle time I see on my afternoon drive home, I could see some real savings in V4 mode. (I still want more excuses to consider a diesel in 2020 when I replace my truck. )

post #52 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

v6 go into v4 mode much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Does the engine go into V4 mode when sitting at a light?

That is an interesting angle I had not considered, as I was more focused on driving down the road on 4 cylinders. With all of the idle time I see on my afternoon drive home, I could see some real savings in V4 mode. (I still want more excuses to consider a diesel in 2020 when I replace my truck. )

Mine is in v4 when you are stopping. As soon as I'm stopped idling it goes back to v6. Terrible design.

post #53 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:35 AM

Garage
When did Google quit working?

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #54 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlx View Post
Mine is in v4 when you are stopping. As soon as I'm stopped idling it goes back to v6. Terrible design.

Many of the comments I have read have suggested the only time it was going into V4 mode was when the truck was decelerating. This makes sense, not sure why this design is so terrible, unless the delay to wake up the other two cylinders is noticeable.

post #55 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post

lol. . I think it quit working only with people who tweet and FB a lot and want to know things instantly without exerting much effort or thinking.

You know. .. "Tell me what I want to know. . . tell me right now! I don't want to take the time to think or look things up myself."
post #56 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post

What does this add to the discussion other than being unhelpful, sarcastic, and trite?

I too have had other vehicles with a displacement on demand type system and the one on my 2017 Canyon does not work the same. It kicked in a reasonable amount when I first got it and now after only 1500 or so miles it basically never comes on. I'm going to mention it to the dealer when I take it in for the Bose speaker rattle.
post #57 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Remember that great Cadillac 4-6-8 engine from the 80's, me neither: Matt Garrett - Cadillac V8-6-4 Home Page . It was just a poorly engineered gimmick. The technology to deactivate cylinders is much more advanced today but it is still a "feel good" gimmick: it takes the same amount of energy to move 4,000 lbs. down the road regardless of the # of cylinders, it's the starting from a dead stop and accelerating that sucks up fuel at a greater rate in larger motors. This is just something else to go wrong with an already complicated motor.
I have an 09 Pontiac G8 GT with the L76 6.0L with AFM/DOD system. As of today with 118,000 + miles on the clock and not a single issue with the system. Honestly, is not that bad after all.

On this engine, the AFM stays on as long there is a light load on the engine or 10 minutes of constant use. A way of deactivating the feature is to switch to Manual Mode. Perhaps the V6 is the same way.
post #58 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GANCanyon View Post
What does this add to the discussion other than being unhelpful, sarcastic, and trite?
It probably added as much as you did by pretending to be the den mother of the forum.

rss29 and blackout2000 like this.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #59 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Remember that great Cadillac 4-6-8 engine from the 80's, me neither: Matt Garrett - Cadillac V8-6-4 Home Page . It was just a poorly engineered gimmick. The technology to deactivate cylinders is much more advanced today but it is still a "feel good" gimmick: it takes the same amount of energy to move 4,000 lbs. down the road regardless of the # of cylinders, it's the starting from a dead stop and accelerating that sucks up fuel at a greater rate in larger motors. This is just something else to go wrong with an already complicated motor.
If that's the case, then why does my Colorado get WORSE fuel economy than the Ram it replaced? My Ram had DOD and I could hypermile it to right at 30. The BEST I've seen in Colly is around 27 - 28. I'm not complaining, but I have seen that system save fuel, even in an Impala that I had with the 3.9 AFM engine in it. 36.5 mpg out of a large V6 car was quite nice.

2015 Rally Yellow Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab (31k) "Colly"

MODS: 2016 Trail Boss sport bar and lights, Backing plates on sport bar for "Colorado" badge painted Rally Yellow, Westin brush guard with winch tray, Trailmaster 6000 lb winch, Rough Country light bar, Window tint, soft tonneau cover, LED fog lights, high, and low beam headlights
post #60 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:00 PM

Mine goes V4 on deceleration. It also will go into V4 on level ground and going down hill under light throttle.

It will kick into V6 around 25-30 MPH to stop. It also will not kick in till warmed up.

The reason it will not go to V4 at stop may have to do with the fact they are wanting to keep the idle smooth.

Note most DI injection engines do not use fuel as long as you are off throttle. It will cut the fuel off coasting and as long as you remain in gear. That was what I was told by a GM Powertrain engineer a when it came out.

You can pick up noticeable miles when you get totally off throttle coasting. Most of us will keep on the gas just a little and that activates the gas flow.

Now with that said the system is tuned to the truck and to the things you do with the truck. I do notice that when driving in ways or places the V4 kicks in the gas MPG does respond.

Lets put this into perspective. I own a Denali Canyon Crew short bed 4x4. I see 19.5 City driving to work. My last truck was a Sonoma Extended cab with the same 3:42 gear but only two wheel drive and with the 192 HP 4.3. It got 18 MPG on a cold day and 19 on a warm day with the AC off.

To be honest the MPG is great on the much heavier and powerful Denali vs. my old Sonoma. Also the engine is much smoother and it has better acceleration. For 4500 pounds it is better than we have ever seen in the past.

I expect the auto stop will appear at some point in the near future. Not a fan but it works well. The main gripe I have is most times it is on a 4 cylinder and it has a shake to it when you start up pulling away. It is just the 4 cylinder shake and not much you can do to eliminate it. I ponder the V6 may do better with it?

As for the V4 I do see the difference it does make and it works seamlessly. If it were not for the indicator you could not tell when it is in or out.
MuttonChops likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode