towing - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

towing

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of the towing capabilities of the canyon. I went ahead and got the V6 with the towing package but I was wrong for my skepticism. This weekend I got to hook up to my boat and go do some fishing. I went fishing on Nimrod Lake which means I had to drive up the mountain to get there. I was pleasantly suprised by how well the canyon towed the boat both up and down the mountain. Granted I'm not talking about a party barge or nothing. I have a 2014 bass tracker 175 pro team with a 60 horse on it. But the truck reacted very well with the added weight. The handling was good and the suspension did not feel loaded down. I am very impressed with my first mid sized vehicle towing experience. I just thought I would throw out the information for those that may be concerned or just wondering about the towing aspects of the new canyons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 AM

Did you catch any crappie, that is the main thing
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Haha yeah we did pretty good. We both limited out in about an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 PM
CFI

Boats of the size/weight you have do not pose much of a towing test. The weight isn't much and the aerodynamic drag is low.

Put a 8ft tall cargo trailer with cargo weighing 6000 lb behind it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFI View Post
Boats of the size/weight you have do not pose much of a towing test. The weight isn't much and the aerodynamic drag is low.

Put a 8ft tall cargo trailer with cargo weighing 6000 lb behind it.
With my 2015 Z71 I pull a 16' stock trailer (8' tall) with a few steers in it--total weight must be at least 5000#--and am amazed at how well it does. The tow/haul mode is really handy, and the little Colorado tracks straight and true. It won't win any drag races, but it sure works well when I'm not carrying enough to hook up the gooseneck trailer to the f250.

jack <><
2017 Colorado Z71 4X2 CC/SB
V-6, 8 speed
Summit White
Reverendbiker.com
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 05:58 PM

Good to hear. Thanks for the report
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 PM
CFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverendbiker View Post
With my 2015 Z71 I pull a 16' stock trailer (8' tall) with a few steers in it--total weight must be at least 5000#--and am amazed at how well it does. The tow/haul mode is really handy, and the little Colorado tracks straight and true. It won't win any drag races, but it sure works well when I'm not carrying enough to hook up the gooseneck trailer to the f250.
^^^^ now that is a tow test.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:48 PM

I am REALLY wanting a new Colorado. And am holding out until later this year when the diesel drops as I would love the extra torque. I've got an 84 Mustang that is prepped for the road course and plan to finally have it ready to tow to the tracks in the region a couple times a year at most. The car is ~2800lbs and will be on an OPEN trailer.

I currently have an 04 Yukon (4wd) with a towing capacity of 7500lbs. More than enough but not much higher than the new Colorado.

I'm looking to get back in to a pickup truck with 4 doors to carry my wife and son but need the cargo space of a pickup bed with how many remodeling projects we do around my house.

How do you all enjoy the gas motor for a situation like that of the occasional (once or twice a year 1.5-2.5 hour drive pulling the car to the track...) ?? Or should I continue to wait for the diesel?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick86 View Post
How do you all enjoy the gas motor for a situation like that of the occasional (once or twice a year 1.5-2.5 hour drive pulling the car to the track...) ?? Or should I continue to wait for the diesel?
I have to think that the 3.6 V6 would pull your Mustang and trailer with no problem at all. As stated in my earlier post, I use my Z71 to pull a stock trailer and have even used it for some short hauls pulling my loaded 16' flatbed trailer with three giant hay rolls (1350# each) loaded on it. As long as I keep the loads properly distributed I have no problems at all. I must admit that I'm still intrigued by the diesel Colly but I'm so happy with my 3.6 V6 I just can't justify the extra expense. Just my $0.02.

jack <><
2017 Colorado Z71 4X2 CC/SB
V-6, 8 speed
Summit White
Reverendbiker.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I think the 3.6 would be enough as well. I pulled our 32ft bumper pull camper with 3 slide outs yesterday for a 2.5 hour tow. We had to take it in for some repairs. But the camper weights 6,800 and the 3.6 pulled it just fine. I wanted the diesel but I couldn't wait and I fell in love with the one I test drove so I bought it lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode